Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

RealFoxy posted:

What the gently caress is this revisionist history? Everyone hopped on the dick of whoever won that NA season and pre Keven rapidsquid was an un-apologetic China fanboy in season 3 when they barely even stood a chance.

Hauntzer was on Gravity for two splits. The first, he didn't quite manage to shake off his reputation as challenger laughingstock. He must have worked his rear end off between splits though, because when his second rolled around, he was pretty awesome. If there was any Hauntzer hate here, it almost certainly came from that first split. It's kind of adorable that you think two people remembering stuff differently is "revisionist history", but you're the one who needs to double check their powers of retention this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

I still think imt is decent

I'd say their two biggest problems were drafting and nerves. I'm still seriously flabbergasted that IMT wasn't putting a higher priority on Gragas; not only is Gragas a strong meta jungler right now, but IMT absolutely crushed TSM in the single game where it was banned, because Sven looks like poo poo in the current meta when he's not playing Gragas. Putting Flame on dog champs always felt like a mistake, because the dude tends to turn into a monster when he's given the tools to do so. I think they needed to put higher priority on banning out Hauntzer's Gnar and making sure Biofrost never got his hands on Rakan, rather than trying to force Bjergsen into a corner, because their post-midgame problems principally ended up being Hauntzer becoming an unstoppable menace against Flame and Biofrost finding these godly R -> Flash -> W engages.

The nerves were a little more obvious. Cody Sun and Pobelter had atrocious positioning in a lot of fights, Olleh rarely was where he needed to be when he was playing TK (and his Black Shield timing was consistently miserable on Morg), and Xmithie threw out a steady stream of tilt-inducing Sej ults. Only Lord Flame looked consistently solid (aside from one or two poor TPs), but that's to be expected from someone with his confidence and experience. Overall, it was these micro decisions that had the largest impact on the game, rather than their fairly solid macro (aside from one or two tragic calls like that Elder Dragon fight). Give them a bit more stage experience and I think they can easily hit top 3 again next split, if not #1.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
So when are you going to admit flame is washed up per your earlier comment..?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

So when are you going to admit flame is washed up per your earlier comment..?

I've already admitted it in my heart, Keven.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me, I'd say IMTs biggest problem against TSM is all their players are worse and their drafting isnt that good and their mid loses lane to bjerg after wasting all of their bans on him. Another big problem is their jungler Xsmithie, who's famous for nonstop wiffing sej ults, spent the series nonstop wiffing sej ults. Finally I'd say a big problem for the team is their botlane is "much improved" which means "formerly bad". If I had to list one more big problem for the team it's that their top laner, who doesn't speak english and has awful TPs and engages, also doesn't meaningfully win lanes.

However I'd say their are some bright sides: When I was watching sneaky's stream and flame said "group as body" in chat, that was funny.

Of course, the story isn't over for IMT. They're going to worlds either way. And perhaps, fans of the team can find vindication when they beat misfits in groups or whatever.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Personally I think IMT's biggest problem is that their midlaners name is Eugene

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
IMT's problem, like many teams, is that they're not Splyce, the best and goodest boys in the entire world

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Splyce has fans?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah, their players *checks reference notes* Pog Beast and his support Kurio San are hyphy as gently caress and everyone knows their top laner Skettlebeans is due for a breakout, and their mid laner Dump can go toe to toe with faker any day. they play "standard" style, like the koreans. they're good.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR2z4k311k4&t=2210s

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dump jiayou! *clap clap clap clap clap*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

2016 worlds was such a loving wild ride. the player experience stream for ANX vs. ROX where frosk, drakos, and gate were collectively losing their poo poo was great

i was sad to hear they probably won't have it back this year because it means i'll have to actually listen to phreak whenever they deign to let him cast a game instead of switching over and listening to someone chill like zirene commentate

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Vermain posted:

2016 worlds was such a loving wild ride. the player experience stream for ANX vs. ROX where frosk, drakos, and gate were collectively losing their poo poo was great

i was sad to hear they probably won't have it back this year because it means i'll have to actually listen to phreak whenever they deign to let him cast a game instead of switching over and listening to someone chill like zirene commentate

do you have a link for that one? I don't recall it

also I finally caught up today and u g h at IMT throwing a winnable series

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

curiousCat posted:

do you have a link for that one? I don't recall it

This VOD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vLdJOrngE

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Play-in stages are going to be so much fun just because every region has a stake in it now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RealFoxy posted:

Play-in stages are going to be so much fun just because every region has a stake in it now.

Except Korea.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

njsykora posted:

Except Korea.
Korea barely has a stake in group stages

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sven is 14-2 on Gragas during the summer. His next closest champion is Lee Sin at 11-2. Then he has Kha at 5-1, Elise at 4-2, Rek at 2-2, Mao at 3-0. Sej at 1-2, Zac at 2-1.

How many of these are currently meta? Dig and Immortals deserved to lose for the failure to force Sven off Gragas instead of trying to ban out the mid laner with the deepest champ pool in the West. It is not a coincidence that TSM lost both playoff games where Sven was off Gragas.

I've been screaming in the Discord for teams to ban or take it away for weeks. He doesn't know how to play tanks that aren't mountains of CC. He falters whenever he has to play a champ where he can't waddle in and mash 3 CC buttons. So frustrating to watch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Sven is 14-2 on Gragas during the summer. His next closest champion is Lee Sin at 11-2. Then he has Kha at 5-1, Elise at 4-2, Rek at 2-2, Mao at 3-0. Sej at 1-2, Zac at 2-1.

How many of these are currently meta? Dig and Immortals deserved to lose for the failure to force Sven off Gragas instead of trying to ban out the mid laner with the deepest champ pool in the West. It is not a coincidence that TSM lost both playoff games where Sven was off Gragas.

I've been screaming in the Discord for teams to ban or take it away for weeks. He doesn't know how to play tanks that aren't mountains of CC. He falters whenever he has to play a champ where he can't waddle in and mash 3 CC buttons. So frustrating to watch.

Yep. I seriously don't know why Ssong kept giving him such a comfort pick for free. Even if he wasn't monstering Xmithie in the jungle or whatever, by the time teamfights came around, Biofrost would always land some really solid initiation to give Sven a 100% free Cask to throw the mispositioning Cody Sun or Pobelter to their deaths. Imagine how game 4 would have gone if the followup to Bio's R -> Flash -> W was Maokai root or Sej R instead of a Cask that sent Cody Sun hurtling into Doublelift and Bjerg's waiting arms.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

to prove just how not mad about tsm he is, thorin did a 40 minute video talking about why he doesnt like tsm

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Thorin doesn't like: TSM, blacks, Jews, poor people.

Thorin does like: Flame, austerity politics, "just asking questions", making hour long videos about Reddit.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
^There's something most people don't realise okay

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
im sorry for defending thorin before btw 😭

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Thorin's latest video "40 minutes of why TSM fans are exactly like the people of Poland" is really good guys

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

To me, I'd say IMTs biggest problem against TSM is all their players are worse and their drafting isnt that good and their mid loses lane to bjerg after wasting all of their bans on him. Another big problem is their jungler Xsmithie, who's famous for nonstop wiffing sej ults, spent the series nonstop wiffing sej ults. Finally I'd say a big problem for the team is their botlane is "much improved" which means "formerly bad". If I had to list one more big problem for the team it's that their top laner, who doesn't speak english and has awful TPs and engages, also doesn't meaningfully win lanes.

However I'd say their are some bright sides: When I was watching sneaky's stream and flame said "group as body" in chat, that was funny.

Of course, the story isn't over for IMT. They're going to worlds either way. And perhaps, fans of the team can find vindication when they beat misfits in groups or whatever.

Harsh but fair. Hopefully IMT can take these brutal truths to heart and improve for worlds.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/20563464/sources-eu-lcs-split-four-regions

uhhhh pardon

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
That's madness.

I really fear that Riot is gonna expand the number of NALCS teams to make the region even less competitive internationally, but 16 teams was far more than even I entertained. Jesus christ.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also it's absurd that there isn't a Scandinavian region in Copenhagen or Stockholm.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
eu lcs is gonna be g2, fnatic, and 22 teams that are [zany adjective + microsoft clipart of an animal] broken between 4 regions and casted by pulse and vedius hahahahah it's so good ahhhhh!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Are they planning on running the EU LCS every night of the week? 24 teams? Good gravy.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Vermain posted:

Are they planning on running the EU LCS every night of the week? 24 teams? Good gravy.

you know that money loss boondoggle of a region we have? let's make it more so!

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
gently caress watching all of that but it's probably really good for EU LoL from a competitive point of view in the long run. It'll probably be riddled with complacency at first though

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If this were any other region it'd almost look good but what is Europe going to do when they barely have 4 average teams and 3 of them decide to go to the same region?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm going to be a pro LCS support and do tons of drugs in Europe you guys wish me luck.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

You know how technically there are like 10 regions and we never hear about them till worlds when suddenly "The Cyber Kill Gaming Force" is losing to "Wet Bandit Gaming" and 3 guys who never post all year post 19 times in a row about for the win their top lane vayne is? That's what Europe is now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

If this were any other region it'd almost look good but what is Europe going to do when they barely have 4 average teams and 3 of them decide to go to the same region?

You know how technically there are like 10 regions and we never hear about them till worlds when suddenly "The Cyber Kill Gaming Force" is losing to "Wet Bandit Gaming" and 3 guys who never post all year post 19 times in a row about for the win their top lane vayne is? That's what Europe is now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Straight from the horse's (well, Misfit Gaming's) mouth regarding the change:

quote:

While I can obviously not get into specifics of which are included in Jacobs article (some right, some wrong, lots of critical pieces not discussed), I can emphatically say that the proposed competitive system from the Riot EU side is a game-changer and shakeup necessary to revitalize a diverse and strong region, a region in which by player size is MUCH bigger than NA. The new competitive format they've created will make every match significantly more meaningful than as currently stands. I know everyone wants to know all the information and how the new economic model for teams and players compares to NA. I can speak for Misfits alone that I'm happy with the direction and structure. I won't lie and say it's perfect as originally proposed but we've provided our feedback to the parts that we feel are most necessary to change to benefit teams and players. We feel there are improvements to what they've proposed and we've communicated it to them. When we originally applied to NA we did so not knowing the full competitive and economic structure proposed by EU. We now have a lot more information and will continue to work with the Riot group to put in place the safeguards and models necessary, some of which impacts the economic model, some of which impacts how EU sits next to NA and what that impact has on teams and players. Ultimately I know we'll get to there together to ensure the long-term success of all of us at the table.

I guess we'll see. Like, it might not be awful, but they're going to need to pull a lot of regional interest out of a hat to make this work.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

How many diehard EU fans can be left after they've all been yanked around for the past couple years? I can see the Football clubs coming in, and maybe it'll bring in a lot more regional sponsors too which is great for the teams but I'm sure at the 0 hour Riot will pull some poo poo like one league is Bo1, one is bo2, and one is a bo7, while one league doesn't even play games the winner is determined by fan vote

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

while one league doesn't even play games the winner is determined by fan vote

Average game time is still 40+ minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Hopefully the Eu LCS expands to like 24 teams because I'm pretty sure the EU has at least that many countries maybe.

Also NA LCS should have 50 teams by this logic.