Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, that's fine. I'd probably aim for a Pomodoro / Tomato Timer or the like first, an hour is probably going to feel like a longer time than you'd expect if you've gotten out of practice with it.

Exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Rolemaster healers were the most unfortunate souls. They get to the end of the fight, look at the damage done to the warrior and go, "welp, "

They then spend the next three days in the back of the cart regenerating a lost limb Deadpool style.

Seriously, Healers in Rolemaster are the only good argument I can come up with for a GMPC in a game.

They did alright in the MUD, mostly because they could sit around in the social hubs and roleplay as long as they didn't give themselves catastrophic brain damage or something. But yeah, they put in an herb-based system as a costly alternative, because mandating someone park in a social hub is kind of stretching it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pomodoro Techniquie best technique.

For reading, I've shifted to using books-on-tape when I'm in the car or working out. Libraries have tons of them, and modern smartphone apps make it incredibly convenient to bring them with you wherever you go (or you can subscribe to Audible). But the best feature is that they can be sped up smartly, eliminating gaps and shifting the pitch so it doesn't sound like a chipmunk is reading them to you. I just finished Richard Evans' giant Third Reich trilogy, and am currently a third of the way through Mary Beard's SPQR (and I'm listening to it at 1.9x speed). Obviously, that's not a solution for RPG books, but it's a great way to whittle down your To-Be-Read pile in what would otherwise be dead time.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Anyone have the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Datafile Template from this post? I think it will look good for some customs I want to do. The site owner is no longer doing the email deal.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nah, that's fine. I'd probably aim for a Pomodoro / Tomato Timer or the like first, an hour is probably going to feel like a longer time than you'd expect if you've gotten out of practice with it.

Echoing this. I do the same thing for actually focusing on reading rather than just goofing off on the internet. It makes a big difference.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Pomodoro Techniquie best technique.

For reading, I've shifted to using books-on-tape when I'm in the car or working out. Libraries have tons of them, and modern smartphone apps make it incredibly convenient to bring them with you wherever you go (or you can subscribe to Audible). But the best feature is that they can be sped up smartly, eliminating gaps and shifting the pitch so it doesn't sound like a chipmunk is reading them to you. I just finished Richard Evans' giant Third Reich trilogy, and am currently a third of the way through Mary Beard's SPQR (and I'm listening to it at 1.9x speed). Obviously, that's not a solution for RPG books, but it's a great way to whittle down your To-Be-Read pile in what would otherwise be dead time.

I used to lean heavily on Audible and read stuff like Tom Holland's Rubicon, Margaret MacMillan, Barbara Tuchman, James McPherson, Rick Perlstein, back when I still had a two hour commute to work, but I've since changed to a much closer office and the 20 min drive barely enough to get me through getting a news update via podcast.

Thanks for the pomodoro suggestion, folks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/904634663142129668

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm glad it's free, because I wouldn't pay for a single page, no matter how cluttered with writing it is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If I roll a 7 and a 9 does that mean I'm wearing one pair on top of the other or am I balancing a single impractically narrow strip of plastic on my ears and nose?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Does anyone have any experience with Expedition: The roleplaying card game? I saw the kickstarter for its expansion as an ad on Facebook and it seems like it might actually be interesting to play with my friends who I am trying to introduce to tabletops.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

If I roll a 7 and a 9 does that mean I'm wearing one pair on top of the other or am I balancing a single impractically narrow strip of plastic on my ears and nose?
One pushed up on your forehead, one worn normally. Duh.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Would it be weird to break out the timer app on my phone, set it to an hour, and sit my rear end down and just read a book until it goes off?

I have a lot of books that I want to read, but given the advent of modern media and "being extremely online", I really don't read as much as I want to. I feel like this could be a way for me to commit to reading books long enough to finally finish some of them, and theoretically it's no different from setting aside 30 minutes for cardio at the gym, but I don't know if I'd be cheapening the experience by "forcing" myself to do it. Does that make sense? I am probably overthinking this.

You are overthinking it. This is a way to get things done and not weird at all.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

One pushed up on your forehead, one worn normally. Duh.

No way, the tiny ones go in front like Jeweller's magnifying glasses.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

I've always maintained that you can make most RPGs better by having at least one player be a pro-wrestler and play it straight :)

Disclaimer: I am totally doing that in a Savage Worlds cyberpunk game right now, and rolling around as the Thirteenth Macho Man in hot pink spandex with neon yellow lightning bolts in a dystopian future where my primary method of attack involves suplexes/moonsaults never gets old. The cameras spotted me? I WANT the cameras to see me! *starts cutting a promo and flexing in front of the security guard, then suddenly explodes him via piledriver*

Note: Building an effective pro-wrestler in Savage Worlds is actually pretty hard, because just about every ability score is important in some way. You need Agility for the brawling skill, Strength for your damage, Body because... well, you're probably going to take some hits to get into suplex range, Spirit because you need to intimidate/persuade to cut your promos, and Smarts if you want to taunt people really well.

The last Pathfinder game I was conned into playing I rolled up Sandy Ravage, half Orc brawler/bard who was questing for a magic belt. It worked out to be hilarious, and too disruptive for play because the GM had no idea what to do with the best impression of coked-out 1980's Randy Savage I could muster at all times, and the hand to hand rules are nightmarishly bad.

I will never willingly play PF again, because the rules are terrible, but if I'm lucky I provided a That Guy story for someone.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Its barely TG related but I'm so loving hype for the animated cartoon version of "Goblins" the Webcomic

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Its barely TG related but I'm so loving hype for the animated cartoon version of "Goblins" the Webcomic

waht the fukc

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Gross.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

waht the fukc

Samurai Jack/Hermes Conrad from Futurama and the dude who voiced Illidan on Warcraft 3 are writing and will probably voice act it. I'm being loving serious.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Plutonis posted:

Wasn't Goblins the webcomic ran by a man-child and rarely updated?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Exmond posted:

Wasn't Goblins the webcomic ran by a man-child and rarely updated?

it's a webcomic, so obviously yes

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Gangster Vampire Hunters ($1.99, 30 pages): I was only going to do the top ten, but I couldn't let this title pass by. It appears to be by someone whose first language isn't English, but they still write very well. It's a Cthulhu-y pulp detective mystery set in Chicago, and the PCs are humans investigating a bunch of vampire goings-on. If that were just the lead-in to get the PCs turned into vampires themselves, that would be nice, but this appears to want to just be a scenario for mortals, at least up-front, so I'm a little disappointed in that. Overall it appears to be an okay premise with fair writing and editing, and the use of filtered photos is far better than any of the rest of the ones above. Also there's a sketch of Liza Minnelli from Cabaret which I hope he got permission for (someone please tell me it's actually from the Storytellers Vault art packs because if so :lol:). Provisional B-, interesting premise, good writing, presentable formatting, but I'm generally not a fan of an entire adventure of not being a vampire when playing the game Vampire
i was skimming and I read "Gangsta Vampire Hunters", sorely disappointed when I scrolled back up and read the rest, thoroughly confused, under the impression that it would be all about black boys blasting bloodsuckers.

But now I have a new game pitch for my next one-shot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
attack the block is a good-rear end movie

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Liquid Communism posted:

The last Pathfinder game I was conned into playing I rolled up Sandy Ravage, half Orc brawler/bard who was questing for a magic belt. It worked out to be hilarious, and too disruptive for play because the GM had no idea what to do with the best impression of coked-out 1980's Randy Savage I could muster at all times, and the hand to hand rules are nightmarishly bad.

Yeah, D&D and its derivatives tend to have god-awful hand-to-hand (aka, grappling/wrestling) rules. The closest they came was for the Reaping Mauler prestige class in Complete Warrior, and even then it isn't very good.

Obviously Savage Worlds isn't as granular as World Wide Wrestling when it comes to being a pro-wrestler, but the GM at least allows me some narrative freedom in describing what I do. We had a situation where we were on top of a building and a guard stepped outside to look, and I moonsaulted him. The GM asked if I was going to go non-lethal (because if you're trained in Unarmed Combat in SW, you can decide if your damage is lethal or non-lethal), but I politely reminded him that since I was moonsaulting onto him from two stories up with no mat, there was no way I could execute the move as anything but lethal.

A few exploding damage dice later and in full view of a camera, I moonsaulted onto a rentacop and they promptly exploded like a blood sausage. I wiped what was left of him off of me and admonished the crowd (really just the PCs and the camera) that Wrestling is Real and nothing can stop Macho Madness.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 5, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I would definitely say the Brawler Fighter in 4e was better than the Reaping Mauler, at least in terms of playability

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I made an insanely good grappler in Exalted 3E and I killed SunAndSpring's boss npc Solar with the first lethal throw I did with her.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've never seen the webcomic goblins and I can't tell if this is a real comic or someone making fun of it.

My expectations for an RPG based webcomic are that low.

Serf
May 5, 2011

In the first session I ever ran, the grappler fighter was grabbed by a giant scorpion, and he proceeded to grab the scorpion in return. I didn't know if you could do that or not, but I wasn't about to look up a rule in the middle of an action scene which led me to one of the more useful phrases I use as a GM: "I don't see why not."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's a 95% accurate summary of the first few years of the comic.

The other 5% is the words "even weirder than usual Oedipus complex"

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

attack the block is a good-rear end movie
I actually just watched Vampires: Los Muertos recently and it reminded me of a game of Vampire gone completely apeshit (aka completely right), it has Bon Jovi as a surfer with a ridiculous stake-firing pistol, who keeps his loadout of guns inside his surfboard.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

8one6 posted:

I've never seen the webcomic goblins and I can't tell if this is a real comic or someone making fun of it.

It's someone making fun of it and the real comic is much, much worse.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

8one6 posted:

it's a parody and the original is not good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tarol Hunt is earnest and positive even if he's incompetent and bless him for that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah the big thing the parody gets wrong is that everyone in Goblins looks like a melting candle.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

A melting candle filled with red paint.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
And tears.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

New Bundle of Holding is Apocalypse World

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

AW2e is good. Masks is good. Night Witches is supposed to be pretty good.
Epyllion is MyLittlePony except with dragons and they use the pronouns 'dre/dris'.

No opinion on the others.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Spirit of '77 is woefully underappreciated. Which you wouldn't think it would be, but it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

• Locked thread