Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

:toot: job offer came in, resignation tendered, counteroffer declined.

Offered me $75k to stay and told me to "think on it over the weekend" when I turned them down. Boss didn't have the total meltdown that I expected but he's obviously trying to talk me out of it.

:yotj:

I'm a bit late, but congrats!!!

Edit: I don't think i'll ever reach 6 figures. The previous senior network engineer who was above 50 years old and had 20 years of experience, made a bit above €50K. The other senior Engineer who handled everything was also around €50K. This was from a company that's pretty public with it's salary. Each department has a scale and you start somewhere on that scale and if you max it out, you are maxed and need to either transfer to a different department or get promoted, to get into the better scale.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Salary figures are not really comparable between the US and Europe, I think it's a fair bit more common for IT roles to attract six figures in the US whereas to get the same in Europe would require employment in fairly specific industries and to be in management. Or just incredibly good at sales.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Salary figures are not really comparable between the US and Europe, I think it's a fair bit more common for IT roles to attract six figures in the US whereas to get the same in Europe would require employment in fairly specific industries and to be in management. Or just incredibly good at sales.

Yh I guess that's true

Edit:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Never ask a question when the answer 'yes' will devastate you.

Thank you! I didn't realize it. but this comment really struck me.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 4, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well, there's also that a lot of the "easy six figures" IT jobs in the US are putting you in very high cost of living areas, while the same jobs in the US in slightly cheaper areas are "only" $85,000, $90,000 a year.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sefal posted:

:yotj:

I'm a bit late, but congrats!!!

Edit: I don't think i'll ever reach 6 figures. The previous senior network engineer who was above 50 years old and had 20 years of experience, made a bit above €50K. The other senior Engineer who handled everything was also around €50K. This was from a company that's pretty public with it's salary. Each department has a scale and you start somewhere on that scale and if you max it out, you are maxed and need to either transfer to a different department or get promoted, to get into the better scale.

Majority of the large raises I've gotten over the years were from changing companies. You've probably gained a lot of skills at your current job that are of higher value elsewhere? Obviously I don't know what the job market is like where you live.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At this point, my salary has gone up about 50% from when I started at this same company. Though, it did take getting acquired by a different company to get to the current level. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have dead-ended.

When I bought my house 9 years ago, median home value in the county was $110k. So, not really a super high cost of living area which is nice. Median home value has since climbed to $140k, which still isn't too bad.

My mortgage on a small but not tiny 3 bedroom ranch is about $1k /month and I'm in one of the pricier areas.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah that's downright cheap in most good markets at this point. Generally if you want a house for 140k, which you can get, you've gotta sacrifice a lot to get there and are looking at a small job market. If you can get a job you're happy with, and a house for that price, I'd say you're doing alright.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Median house price in my area is over $650,000.00 and while I'm making some figs now this time last year I was only on 65k.

I consider finding remote work and moving to the middle of nowhere pretty often.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cirofren posted:

Median house price in my area is over $650,000.00 and while I'm making some figs now this time last year I was only on 65k.

I consider finding remote work and moving to the middle of nowhere pretty often.

Not necessarily the middle of nowhere, but someplace cheaper is my plan. Median home price in the county right next to my job's (tiny one-town) county is over 1M. The other side is $390k, but that's probably including some of the shadier (for Colorado) areas. I dream of moving up to a nice town in the mountains that has a good internet connection. I just need to get more experience so I can reliably find something remote.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I could careless for having an actual house. Give me 600-800 sqft. with walkability to a few bars, restaurants, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I could careless for having an actual house. Give me 600-800 sqft. with walkability to a few bars, restaurants, etc.

Same :hfive:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd be okay with that if I was single, but when you're married you need to have some space. And gently caress taking your dog outside every time it needs to go.

It was nice living in an apartment close to the restaurants and bars before I moved in with my wife, but being farther away from the action is worth it now.

Actually I've always thought that if I was single 6-800 feet would be perfect.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not really, an enormous number of married people live in a condo or apartment. Literally nothing about being married requires a huge house. That's just your own preference.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not really, an enormous number of married people live in a condo or apartment. Literally nothing about being married requires a huge house. That's just your own preference.

Dogs / kids definitely changes that though.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Look if you aren't living in a tent on public land and living an entirely carbon neutral life you aren't on my level and I don't want to say arguing about the merits of a McMansion vs CLAM DOWN's probably super sad studio apartment in Vancouver which almost certainly costs $5k a week but it's okay cause of UHC

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^^ please, it's more like 10k

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dogs / kids definitely changes that though.

Sure, those are independent of being married though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I haven’t made less than 6figs in San Antonio since I was 29.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's a pretty big middle ground between 800sqft and huge house. Like 2,000sqft of middle ground.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I haven’t made less than 6figs in San Antonio since I was 29.

poo poo. I keep an eye out for openings at Valero, NuStar and a few others. Didn't think many jobs paid 6 figures around here.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

poo poo. I keep an eye out for openings at Valero, NuStar and a few others. Didn't think many jobs paid 6 figures around here.

Remote brother. It’s the best

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

jaegerx posted:

Remote brother. It’s the best

Until it's the worst... I do the remote thing for a SF company where I'm in Denver right now, 6 figures, but man it's hard to really get ahead when everything is through a screen. The lack of hallway conversations and face to face networking on the fly is a major detriment unfortunately. I tried it! But not really that great afterall in my opinion. :(

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't have a media room, an office and a game room!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I live in 850 sq ft with my girlfriend, and it's a little cramped at times. I'd like to have a another office-type room and a garage.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I live in Mega-City Two and so will never own a home. My rent has fallen below market so if I have to leave for any reason I'm going to take a hell of a beating to stay in the area. Like my parents I expect to hang on as long as I can before the wheels come off and I'm driven out into the wasteland.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

I live in 850 sq ft with my girlfriend, and it's a little cramped at times. I'd like to have a another office-type room and a garage.

Don't get me wrong. I like cars, sporty cars and driving but holy just walking everywhere ain't bad and near-zero stress.

I also feel like the current crop of cars is stupid. Oh, I have all the fancy navigation options but I'm stuck with a key fob the size of a boulder and no backup camera?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The wife and I share about 1000 sq feet downtown. Very short walk to pretty much any type of public transportation, as well as an innumerable number of good places to eat or drink. We don't really bother each other, 2 bedrooms and more importantly 2 bathrooms. Plus we both use headphones on our computers and have the option of using headphones with our TV. I'd say the only thing that it has limited us on so far is having a dog. The wife really wants a dog, but we already have 2 cats and adding a dog is just a bit much in a smaller place. Plus, we'd want to be decent dog owners and that limits what breeds we'd be able to do without a yard.

Can't beat the commute either. We both spend about 10-15 minutes on public transport. A lot better than the 1h each way drive we were used to. We downsized to 1 car and we drive it maybe once every 2 weeks. I think we put 2k miles on it a year at this point. It's really more of a luxury. Although I will say driving a WRX through the mountains is a ton of fun.

I don't know when we'll want to change it up. We keep talking about it but honestly we enjoy the way we live quite a bit right now. Maybe in a few years we'll move to the mountains and buy some property, but for right now we enjoy not being tied down. Just sold our house out East ~6 months ago and it's nice not to have to worry about that poo poo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I live in a house, but also within walking distance of bars and restaurants and things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's cheaper for me to not be near any bars or restaurants.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

The wife and I share about 1000 sq feet downtown. Very short walk to pretty much any type of public transportation, as well as an innumerable number of good places to eat or drink. We don't really bother each other, 2 bedrooms and more importantly 2 bathrooms. Plus we both use headphones on our computers and have the option of using headphones with our TV. I'd say the only thing that it has limited us on so far is having a dog. The wife really wants a dog, but we already have 2 cats and adding a dog is just a bit much in a smaller place. Plus, we'd want to be decent dog owners and that limits what breeds we'd be able to do without a yard.

Can't beat the commute either. We both spend about 10-15 minutes on public transport. A lot better than the 1h each way drive we were used to. We downsized to 1 car and we drive it maybe once every 2 weeks. I think we put 2k miles on it a year at this point. It's really more of a luxury. Although I will say driving a WRX through the mountains is a ton of fun.

I don't know when we'll want to change it up. We keep talking about it but honestly we enjoy the way we live quite a bit right now. Maybe in a few years we'll move to the mountains and buy some property, but for right now we enjoy not being tied down. Just sold our house out East ~6 months ago and it's nice not to have to worry about that poo poo.

I've had my car since spring 2010 and it only has 80k klicks (about 50,000 miles). Pretty nice to not have to live in a car commuting.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't have much of a social network and not much family life (plus single), and found remote wasn't good for my mental health. It was nice not to have to commute and to have flexible hours but in the end I ended up working longer hours than I do in an office and that isn't usually a good thing. Plus being on call meant an extra restriction on certain weekends. Not being able to talk out problems or vent about some things like you can when you see people all the time gets you in your head and you get more stressed out about things you shouldn't be.

Now though I need to find a place to live closer to the city to cut down on the long train ride.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't have much of a social network and not much family life (plus single), and found remote wasn't good for my mental health.

This is a lot of the reason I gave up my 100% WFH gig. My physical and mental health were seriously suffering when I'd go months between visiting client sites. I did all the things people say you're supposed to do in order to create a healthy WFH environment (create an office space that's separate from your living space so you have a real separation between when you're working and when you're off, get out of the house and work from other locations for a few hours, etc) but none of it worked for me. It can be awesome for a lot of people, but for some of us it just isn't a good fit. I knew I needed a change when I realized my life had been reduced to "wake up -> open laptop -> work until exhausted -> fall asleep in front of the tv -> repeat". I finally hit a point where I hadn't showered or left the house in 3 days and that's when I knew something had to change. It's weird that it even got to that point because I really value my work/life balance. There was just something about WFH that threw everything out of wack.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't have much of a social network and not much family life (plus single), and found remote wasn't good for my mental health. It was nice not to have to commute and to have flexible hours but in the end I ended up working longer hours than I do in an office.

Not being able to talk out problems or vent about some things like you can when you see people all the time gets you in your head and you get more stressed out about things you shouldn't be.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is a lot of the reason I gave up my 100% WFH gig. My physical and mental health were seriously suffering when I'd go months between visiting client sites. I did all the things people say you're supposed to do in order to create a healthy WFH environment (create an office space that's separate from your living space so you have a real separation between when you're working and when you're off, get out of the house and work from other locations for a few hours, etc) but none of it worked for me. It can be awesome for a lot of people, but for some of us it just isn't a good fit. I knew I needed a change when I realized my life had been reduced to "wake up -> open laptop -> work until exhausted -> fall asleep in front of the tv -> repeat". I finally hit a point where I hadn't showered or left the house in 3 days and that's when I knew something had to change. It's weird that it even got to that point because I really value my work/life balance. There was just something about WFH that threw everything out of wack.

I WFH and both of these posts are 100% accurate. Months of isolation will absolutely mess you up.

Last winter I regularly went >2 weeks without leaving my house at all or having any direct interaction with another human, and when I did it was to go to the grocery store for 30 minutes. No matter how introverted you might consider yourself, don't ever do that.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Methanar posted:

I WFH and both of these posts are 100% accurate. Months of isolation will absolutely mess you up.

Last winter I regularly went >2 weeks without leaving my house at all or having any direct interaction with another human, and when I did it was to go to the grocery store for 30 minutes. Don't ever do that.

Yeah that's always a worry with WFH especially when you are in a hellscape that involves lovely gently caress Going Outside Unless I Have To weather (gently caress you midwest winters)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I guess taking a different perspective because when my co-workers come into the office it merely turns into social hour at 9 AM in the morning during tab8715's super important business conference calls.

Of course, they wouldn't do this but the bars are simply too far away for actual socialization and Uber is expensive! :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 5, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Last winter I regularly went >2 weeks without leaving my house at all or having any direct interaction with another human, and when I did it was to go to the grocery store for 30 minutes. No matter how introverted you might consider yourself, don't ever do that.

I'm an extrovert so that sounds like a living hell to me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Bolded my favorite part of this great post. I love that HOH can acknowledge that some people like one thing, other people like another. Most people extrapolate from their own experiences and can't imagine that other people might view things differently.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This whole "two weeks notice" thing is like heroin. I literally don't give a gently caress about anything going on and I have everything documented so there's basically nothing to to do except train my coworkers.

Also they're apparently not going to backfill my position after they figured out that anybody with SAP experience doing my role is going to command at least 80k.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So my boss at my new job isn't here today and he didn't tell me he was going to be out. His boss doesn't know he was suppose to be out and has no record of him calling in, I find out almost 3pm in the afternoon. I didn't exactly need anything but we had meetings scheduled with vendors and he doesn't have an out of office on.

Please don't be dead.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My work sent me to Florida this week right in the path of Irma (they planned this trip on Thursday, so it was already well known this hurricane was forming and en route) and they are now panicking because mandatory evacuations are already hitting the keys and want to send me home.

:toot:

e; my COO basically assigned me to "supervise" a non-IT project because a computer is involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's the beginning of the fiscal year here (procurement couldn't be bothered to open things up on Friday the 1st, can't say I blame them) so I basically spent all day making purchases that have been pending for a couple of weeks.

When/if I ever leave I will never again be in a position responsible for purchasing end user equipment.