Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

got any sevens posted:

the ACA was also supposed to be a first step towards medicare for all but now dems are fighting it tooth and nail :thunk:

I've been drinking a lot so, in the spirit of the thread, dumb this down to something a regretful trump voter could understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

she has hated the clintons for decades it's weird as hell

dowd's entire career is regurgitating shallow beltway conventional wisdom to the masses via cynical detachment, basic wordplay, and twee framing devices

the clintons are rich targets for shallow criticism, and boy howdy, donald j trump puts even the clintons to shame. after 8 years of nothing but "obama is a detached intellectual" she was drat near orgasmic over election 2016

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

"boomers are constantly complaining about millennials" -- every millennial ever, complaining about boomers (i.e. their parents)

"boomers can't understand how things have changed since they were kids!" -- said by millennials who bash bill clinton for supporting DOMA and DADT

boomers normalized women's rights and relaxed the strict sexual mores of the 50s. they ended jim crow and oversaw vast (albeit incomplete) improvements in the cultural inclusivity of US society that are the bedrock for all of today's social justice movements.

so far, millennials have birthed a bumper crop of neo-nazis and the notion that political power can be obtained by not voting.

every generation has problems, and they rarely see their own. let's not get too full of ourselves.

(for the record im in my mid 30s, idk wtf my generation is supposed to be)

Lmao

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

so far, millennials have birthed a bumper crop of neo-nazis and the notion that political power can be obtained by not voting.

Americans are barbarians

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

hasn't trump killed a poo poo load of civilians per drone strike compared to obama?

also the navy seal and 8 year old girl like his first week in office

someone should track down the seals pic, odds are he voted for trump anyway and deserves to be in this thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i don't even think most of the boomers were old enough to vote during the civil rights era

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
also lol relaxing sex, reagan and abstinence education is the cause of a lot of repression

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Azuth0667 posted:

dnd, I've watched it happen in the climate change thread, the energy thread, the rwm thread, &c. Something is broken in these people's brains that they are not willing to take an imperfect solution to solve a huge problem now then improve upon said solution continuously.

what you're talking about is actual incrementalism, which is good

the suck zone version of incrementalism is immediately starting at a compromise (either out of bad faith or refusing to use the bully pulpit) and compromising again and again until almost nothing happens

the second version has been used pretty consistently by the business wings of both parties to stave off any populist policy. an unintended consequence of this is the gradual erosion of belief in "the process" to the point that the entire government is the enemy to the common man, but i guess that doesn't matter too much when you're retired on your whore island (paid for by corporate donations to your campaign) at that point

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

you can whine about how things like Obamacare were Actually Good, but poo poo like minimum wage reform being phased in over 10 years (and still won't keep up with inflation) or means tested medicare aren't very reassuring to people that have been suffering, are currently suffering, and will continue to suffer for the duration of the program's implementation

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

this is exactly the take i'd expect from the dude who thinks gerrymandering effects presidential elections

special call out to the thousands of dems that talk like this and are fuckin gobsmacked that regular people don't want to put them in office, despite them having the "correct stance" on everything

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Business Gorillas posted:

special call out to the thousands of dems that talk like this and are fuckin gobsmacked that regular people don't want to put them in office, despite them having the "correct stance" on everything

if a dem candidate is found campaigning in c-spam i could support a jill stein write-in campaign

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://twitter.com/jakestephens313/status/902889589496532992

edit: oops wrong thread

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

this is exactly the take i'd expect from the dude who thinks gerrymandering effects presidential elections

lol how else would you describe the electoral vote system making california always dem by a wide margin, or explain why the territories like puerto rico dont have EC voters

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

got any sevens posted:

lol how else would you describe the electoral vote system making california always dem by a wide margin, or explain why the territories like puerto rico dont have EC voters

there's more than one way the popular vote gets hosed up, but some are harder to fix than others. if you care about them it's worth understanding the differences.

gerrymandering is why the house of representatives doesn't track the popular vote even though it was intended to in the constitution. it's when congressional districts are drawn to favor one party. it doesn't factor into presidential elections at all. gerrymandering only lasts for 10 years until districts get redrawn in each state. in 2010 the gop took over a ton of states in midterm elections and gerrymandered the gently caress out of their districts. in 2020 the dems could theoretically seize exactly the same opportunity if they win big, or even push through reforms that prevent any future gerrymandering in that state. it's fixable, but only on a state-by-state basis.

the electoral college is why the presidential election doesn't track the popular vote, but it was purposely made that way in the US constitution, to favor small-population states. it's complete trash, but fixing it would require a amendment to the US constitution, and the small states will never agree to that. but there's a way big states could conspire to kill the EC, and if texas ever turns blue it might have a chance. until then we're stuck with it.

territories like PR don't get to vote b/c they aren't states, but they also aren't subject to federal taxes. it's the choice of the people in that territory whether to become a full state, and PR in particular might become a state pretty soon. the only fuckery involved here is that the GOP could try to delay statehood, but that can only last as long as they're in power, so the smart plan would be to accept them and court their votes (spoiler: GOP isn't smart)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Good replies though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Blah blah blah post more Chuds self owning

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Business Gorillas posted:

what you're talking about is actual incrementalism, which is good

the suck zone version of incrementalism is immediately starting at a compromise (either out of bad faith or refusing to use the bully pulpit) and compromising again and again until almost nothing happens

the second version has been used pretty consistently by the business wings of both parties to stave off any populist policy. an unintended consequence of this is the gradual erosion of belief in "the process" to the point that the entire government is the enemy to the common man, but i guess that doesn't matter too much when you're retired on your whore island (paid for by corporate donations to your campaign) at that point

I don't think its quite the same because a lot of it is big stuff. Like corporate speech restrictions, breaking up blatant monopolies, removing the anti-union bits of taft-hartley, changing the tax code, &c.

When I think incrementalism I think :smugdon: promising his supporters wages will go up while signing a bill increasing minimum wage to 15$/hour in the year 2055.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

i still aint got over how the judge looks like the vampire that bit the kid

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

I don't think its quite the same because a lot of it is big stuff. Like corporate speech restrictions, breaking up blatant monopolies, removing the anti-union bits of taft-hartley, changing the tax code, &c.

When I think incrementalism I think :smugdon: promising his supporters wages will go up while signing a bill increasing minimum wage to 15$/hour in the year 2055.

Good incrementalism would be the CRA (iirc it was initially just making it easier for PoCs to vote and then had its scope continually expanded)

Bad incrementalism would be Obamacare (your base wants single payer, but you start at the compromise of a public option, which gets cut immediately to make the insurance lobby happy)

The point I'm trying to make is incrementalism towards a goal is good, but incrementalism AS a goal is very very bad

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._of_people.html

On one hand, this isn't so lol because these Iraqi Christians are probably in serious danger if they get deported back to Iraq. On the other hand, they loving voted for Donald Trump. Like, did every minority-minority group who voted for Trump think he WASN'T a bigot? Or maybe just that the train would stop at Mexicans and Muslims, and certainly wouldn't gently caress over their own demographic.

On the gripping hand, DJT is loving over even white people, and I have no doubt by the time he leaves office even his core base will be poorer, deader, and more hosed. No matter their creed or skin color.

I'm kinda ranting, but I can't believe these people won Michigan for him. It wouldn't have mattered in the end, but just imagine in every swing state instead going "He's not going to gently caress us, just them." a vulnerable group of people subject to deportation and exclusion actually used their brains.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The massive boatloads of people who assumed everyone else would be doing the boat loading is one of the most evil and stupid parts of this whole thing, and if I was a little dumber I would hope that would mean it won't happen again soon. None of these people are gonna go anywhere or do anything, just appear in articles saying how wretched they are. Whole communities just getting crippled at their own demand and only allowing themselves to complain about it to reporters who will basically laugh at them and point and write "how sad". It's one thing to watch idiot whites act like they're invincible and put themselves into unsympathetic, hopeless positions, we do that all the time. It's a whole new level of pathetic insanity to see obviously vulnerable groups doing it.

"We had a black guy for a while right? It's probably safe to start supporting the racist lunatics now. Think of all the great racist poo poo I could get out of this"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
I regret voting for Trump after his failure to take a stand against neo-Nazis

quote:

This past weekend, I was visited by my cousin Paul who was born to my father’s niece in 1938 and is a decade older than I am. His parents escaped to Holland and then were forced to the only alternative — Switzerland. They were granted sanctuary there in 1943 solely because Paul was then only 5 years old and Swiss rules said he was too young to be deported back to Germany. Although they were moved to a harsh work camp, their lives were saved.

That is just one truncated family story of survival. We were the lucky ones, and yes, that comes with survivor’s guilt. Nazis are not an abstraction to us.
He should have said he has zero tolerance for Nazis. And until he does, until he unequivocally proclaims that neo-Nazis, whose sworn goal is to rid America of Jews, African-Americans and countless other minorities, are a scourge on humanity, Trump will not be my president.

I am one voice in one family whose lives were changed forever by the Nazis, and now I’m not afraid to call Trump out for what he truly is — an unfit leader with no concept of what persecution is, and how it is spread. So he can attempt to change the subject, but until he decries the evil he has empowered, Trump is not my president.

To my cousin Paul Joseph, all my surviving relatives and family, to all those who have been persecuted and are being persecuted, I apologize for voting for Trump. My guilt is magnified, and I live with an increasingly heavy heart. My hope is that somehow we can ignore Trump and work around him, and I promise not to make the same mistake twice.

if only we could've known before the election that trump refused to condemn nazis and had no sympathy for persecuted refugees. crazy how that just came out of nowhere on inauguration day

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Lmao Dear concentration camp victims: Sowwy... Won't happen again!!!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
somewhere in a mass grave along with his grandfather's charred remains, there's an apology letter written in german that ends, "My hope is that somehow we can ignore Hitler and work around him, and I promise not to make the same mistake twice."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cobweb Heart posted:

The massive boatloads of people who assumed everyone else would be doing the boat loading is one of the most evil and stupid parts of this whole thing, and if I was a little dumber I would hope that would mean it won't happen again soon. None of these people are gonna go anywhere or do anything, just appear in articles saying how wretched they are. Whole communities just getting crippled at their own demand and only allowing themselves to complain about it to reporters who will basically laugh at them and point and write "how sad". It's one thing to watch idiot whites act like they're invincible and put themselves into unsympathetic, hopeless positions, we do that all the time. It's a whole new level of pathetic insanity to see obviously vulnerable groups doing it.

"We had a black guy for a while right? It's probably safe to start supporting the racist lunatics now. Think of all the great racist poo poo I could get out of this"

there are selfish race traitors on both sides of the aisle who think they can be one of the 'good ones' and get treated well as long as they stick with the program. that daily show guy is a millionaire now for doing the same thing. you could even call people like clinton/zuck/pelosi/trump race traitors, because they also pulled up the ladders after ascending to upper class

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Sep 4, 2017

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna be a lot of doomed trumpers here soon in Florida. It's already cat 4 and hasn't hit the million degree waters around the state yet

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Thundercracker posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._of_people.html

On one hand, this isn't so lol because these Iraqi Christians are probably in serious danger if they get deported back to Iraq. On the other hand, they loving voted for Donald Trump. Like, did every minority-minority group who voted for Trump think he WASN'T a bigot? Or maybe just that the train would stop at Mexicans and Muslims, and certainly wouldn't gently caress over their own demographic.

On the gripping hand, DJT is loving over even white people, and I have no doubt by the time he leaves office even his core base will be poorer, deader, and more hosed. No matter their creed or skin color.

I'm kinda ranting, but I can't believe these people won Michigan for him. It wouldn't have mattered in the end, but just imagine in every swing state instead going "He's not going to gently caress us, just them." a vulnerable group of people subject to deportation and exclusion actually used their brains.

It makes more sense if you know that for eight years the GOP has been using Middle Eastern Christians as a prop, screaming about Obama's overseas Christian Genocide (you see, Gaddafi and Mubarak and Assad were benevolent secular leaders who protected Christians, that's why Obama wanted to destroy them so all the Christians could be killed like is happening in Iraq -- what happened to Iraq's secular government you ask, oh gee I'm not sure that's lost to the mists of time but we know Obama founded ISIS), and that there are no refugees, it's all an Obama plot to smuggle ISIS into the country to murder Christians here. Trump continued this on the campaign trail and even for a little while after he was elected.
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/825721153142521858?lang=en

So I can understand traumatized people who suffered religious persecution at the hands of fundamentalists abroad fearing and hating Muslims (even the ones that aren't responsible for what happened to them) and clinging to anyone who talks about protecting and defending them and their communities. Sadly in this case "anyone" was the dishonest carnival barkers of the GOP and the religious right who in reality care for no one but the rich, and just like millions of Americans the Iraqi Christians were duped. Buuuuut on the other hand, Trump-voting Iraqis wanted to believe that their Christianity would let them into the Republican country club where they'd be the ones doing the persecution and expulsion of other religions and gently caress that, also lmao Trump and the Republicans make no bones about despising non-European immigrants regardless of religion maybe his hatred of Christian Mexico and South America should have been a fuckin clue lol

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Sep 5, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agean90 posted:

i dont actually know if this guy voted trump but signs point to yes

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/903675086334562306

If he did, maybe we should be looking into whether non-citizens are voting after all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

"boomers are constantly complaining about millennials" -- every millennial ever, complaining about boomers (i.e. their parents)

"boomers can't understand how things have changed since they were kids!" -- said by millennials who bash bill clinton for supporting DOMA and DADT

boomers normalized women's rights and relaxed the strict sexual mores of the 50s. they ended jim crow and oversaw vast (albeit incomplete) improvements in the cultural inclusivity of US society that are the bedrock for all of today's social justice movements.

Yeah no, the very oldest boomers (b. 1946) had just turned 18 when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed and ended Jim Crow, that was their parents' generation, not them. When the boomers came of age they voted for Nixon, Reagan, Bush 1, Dole, Bush 2, McCain, Romney, and of course Trump to roll back civil rights so white boomers could keep the leg up on everyone else that they believe is their birthright, and enough of those clowns won and appointed segregationists to the bench that the boomers succeeded in destroying the VRA through the courts after all, and it's not over yet.

The largest legislative victory for women's rights was of course Title IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which again boomers had nothing to do with, it was the Rosie the Riveter women of the Greatest Generation who beat the Nazis on the homefront and then beat the conservatives here and won the right to equal employment. And again it was the boomers who killed the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970s and 1980s by electing religious right fucks to enough state governments to block equality for women.

Likewise the roots of the sexual revolution were in place before boomers got their first pube, and while they participated gladly in all the free love, the instant they passed their prime and it was about other people having sex and not them, the majority of boomers flocked to the religious right and want to ban sex now that boomers aren't getting it.

The entire history of the Worst Generation is them taking undeserved credit for their parents' accomplishments, enjoying the fruits of the prosperity their parents built for them, and then burning it all down behind them so their children can't follow.

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Sep 5, 2017

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Just so this 6-month-old post can finally die: My working definition of boomer was off by a couple of years from the standard. This poo poo was always ill-defined for me, I was born in between genX and millennial. My father was born in the mid-40s and he did participate in the civil rights movement. My defense of boomers was misguided.

Can we get back to what matters?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Your Silent Generation dad is cool, unlike most of his generation, (source: Silents are more consistently Republican than boomers, also source my silent generation grandparents are from South Carolina and whoa doggy do they love Nixon and hate the blacks and Mexicans)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Your Silent Generation dad is cool, unlike most of his generation, (source: Silents are more consistently Republican than boomers, also source my silent generation grandparents are from South Carolina and whoa doggy do they love Nixon and hate the blacks and Mexicans)

my silent generation dad was a IWW member, helped liberate italy from fascism, and got blacklisted from trying to organize his workplace :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

When the boomers came of age they voted for Nixon, Reagan, Bush 1, Dole, Bush 2, McCain, Romney, and of course Trump

That's news to my mother (born in the early '50s) who voted against all of these dudes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
#NotAllBoomers

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's true, the real world burning loonies in that and every other generation are the white ones

White millennials voted for Trump, black boomers did not

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Epic High Five posted:

That's true, the real world burning loonies in that and every other generation are the white ones

White millennials voted for Trump, black boomers did not

White millenials are still garbage overall but detectably less so than their white Silent and Boomer parents. Some birth years in the white millenial generation almost break even or tilt towards good for the first time in the country's living memory

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

VitalSigns posted:

White millenials are still garbage overall but detectably less so than their white Silent and Boomer parents. Some birth years in the white millenial generation almost break even or tilt towards good for the first time in the country's living memory

Jesus Christ, that trend line is loving +10 Republican. That's, intensely depressing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
2014 was a depressing year yeah.

At least 2017 has the comedy of GOP voters realizing the GOP is trying to kill them.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

VitalSigns posted:

this is a good chart to summarize why the old guard elected democrats are so reluctant to champion single payer and higher minimum wage-- it's not corruption, it's fear born of decades of republican rule. factor in all the ways young and minority voters get disenfranchised and have lower turnout in general, and it's not that hard to understand the continued hesitancy. some consistent wins by younger progressive candidates would do wonders for bringing the rest around IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VitalSigns posted:

This chart confirms my suspicions that gen xers are even worse than boomers.