Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maarak posted:

Did the Ghostwood development project ever come to fruition?
I think the only time it was mentioned this entire season was when Audrey mentioned it once, comparing her discomfort to being in Ghostwood.

I don't think we ever saw Ben outside of the Great Northern, so I'm assuming he never completed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I still can't believe Kyle played 5 different characters, 6 if you count New Dougie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tap my mountain posted:

I still can't believe Kyle played 5 different characters, 6 if you count New Dougie
Dale Cooper
Booper
rear end in a top hat Dougie (when he's with Jade)
Childlike Dougie
New Dougie
Cooper/Booper Hybrid
Richard

Jesus Christ, give him all the Emmys

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

eSporks posted:

As for all these theories floating around, it doesn't feel to me like they take into account something I thought was pretty obvious. The cooper in ep18 was somehow a mix of coop and doppleganger, there were for sure hints of Danzig in there. I saw a couple people mention this last night, then the idea kinda dropped off.

Yeah this makes sense. Cooper and Booper were both facets of the same man, the New Coop (I'd call him "Richard" except he's aware of being someone else and not some guy named Richard). Carrie is the good and bad Laura Palmers. Coop didn't "save" Laura when he brought her to the place in the woods, he rejoined her with the other Laura... whichever one that was, good or bad. Cooper remembers being the good half-Cooper, Carrie doesn't remember being good-or-bad Laura until the end where something breaks through and she screams.

So the cost of trying to undo Laura's death is that "Laura" and "Cooper" now no longer exist, they're new entities born out of two opposite halves each.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

What if at the end of FWWM there was a third option available to Laura in which she could be alive and also not possessed? Do you think that maybe she would have considered door number three?

like what, she traps him in a tub of railroad cement like a scooby doo villain?

the whole point is there isn't another option. she has control over only one thing: whether or not she remains alive. she can only deny her abuser the thing he truly wants and force him to resort to killing her instead. it's practically a fuckin' suicide anthem. all the emotional weight is kinda gone if it was like "oh a timetraveller could have just bonked the rapist on the head with a cinderblock any time".

you are doing that thing where people conflate the literal, supernatural, and metaphorical elements of the show and come to absurd conclusions. the story has no meaning if she can just be magically saved from her trauma in the first place. what is the show about then?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is Carrie the final missing page of Laura's diary!!!!!!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

eSporks posted:

I woke up last night with sleep paralysis and saw Bob at the foot of bed. Its the third time I've ever had sleep paralysis, and I have very mixed feelings on ep18, but if it can do that to me, it much have been pretty good.

As for all these theories floating around, it doesn't feel to me like they take into account something I thought was pretty obvious. The cooper in ep18 was somehow a mix of coop and doppleganger, there were for sure hints of Danzig in there. I saw a couple people mention this last night, then the idea kinda dropped off.

I wonder if there is the possibility that creating a tulpa requires some kind of sacrifice from the person creating one, whether willingly (in the case of Cooper) or unwillingly (in the case of Diane). Doppelganger Coop was possibly an aspect of original Coop, then possessed by BOB. In creating the Dougie tulpa, Coop lost the part of himself we remember from S1/2, and in doing so became more like doppelganger Coop.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I wonder if there is the possibility that creating a tulpa requires some kind of sacrifice from the person creating one, whether willingly (in the case of Cooper) or unwillingly (in the case of Diane). Doppelganger Coop was possibly an aspect of original Coop, then possessed by BOB. In creating the Dougie tulpa, Coop lost the part of himself we remember from S1/2, and in doing so became more like doppelganger Coop.

Already calling the main plot of Season 4: Dougie comes to Twin Peaks to investigate an insurance claim the Sheriff's Dept. made on the floor damage in the conference room. Along the way...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

🎵 THE ONLY GIRL I'VE EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER LOVED
WAS BORN WITH ROSES IN HERRRRR EYYYYYYYYYES
BUT THEN THEY BURIED HER ALIVE
ONE EVENING--

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

wa27 posted:

Long live Harry.

Harry is the Horn of Eld, and Cooper is Roland :ohdear:

God I wish Harry could have made an appearance.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Blu-Rays of the original series/FWWM look loving exceptional for being shot 25 years ago, if you haven't watched those already.
A Criterion restoration is coming in November. I haven't seen FWWM so am waiting for that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A Criterion restoration is coming in November. I haven't seen FWWM so am waiting for that.
Yeah it's supposed to be a new 4K transfer, but the one I have in The Entire Mystery set already looks great to me and it has The Missing Pieces which is pretty much the best special feature I could hope for, so I don't see the need to get the Criterion edition.

Although if you don't have the set already, then yeah, absolutely get the newest one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mary had a little clam posted:

Yeah, for me, I noticed that issue strongest when he was at the diner; he never said whether he wanted coffee. Coop always does and Boop turns coffee down. I wasn't sure how we were supposed to interpret New Cooper (Noop?) neither wanting nor not wanting coffee, other than that he's neither Coop or Boop in this loop.

But does he want soup?

The final Cooper was like an amalgamation of Dougie, Cooper and Booper. His gait while walking and kind of Booper menace, but then he had the upstanding Cooper moments. There were also a coupld of times he simply repeatedly (absent mindedly) the things other characters said as well as did that Dougie stare.

I feel like consistent exposure to the lodges and meta world steals bits from humans and damages them. Whether Cooper is an amalgamation of the other Coopers or is somewhat crippled by his trip into that final timeline or universe is really interesting. I'm going to enjoy watching it again and thinking about what happened.

The theory that Laura is an angel figure and is then co-opted by the fireman to try and satiate Bob/evil is a cool theory.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can't wait till this is out on Bluray. I want to binge this in the highest quality possible.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Our SPECIAL agent on the finale: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/twin-peaks-finale-explained-kyle-maclachlan-interview-1035013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I haven't seen FWWM

Oh man, Fire Walk With Me is incredible, looking forward to you seeing it on your behalf!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The biggest let down of the final episodes is that we didn't get a single scene of Lucy and Candie interacting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna watch the fan edit of FWWM (with The Missing Pieces edited back into the movie) after I finish rewatching Season 3. I'm guessing scenes like the extended Bowie scene will make more sense to me with the context I have now.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I'd like to see a Mitchum Brothers supercut. Someone get on that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wonder if Sarah Palmer finding a lucky penny in 1956 has anything to do with Red the Cocaine Wizard's coin flip that scares Richard.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder if Sarah Palmer finding a lucky penny in 1956 has anything to do with Red the Cocaine Wizard's coin flip that scares Richard.
I figured it had more to do, somehow, with the evil Abraham Lincoln but I'd never considered it connected to the Wizard before.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Who is The Jumping Man? Keep seeing references to him but can't remember.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I guess the footage from the pilot was cropped to fit 16x9? It's 4x3 on the Blu-Rays because that's how it was shot, I'm pretty sure. All the FWWM scenes were shot on film so those didn't have to be cropped.

I'm pretty sure the original pilot was shot on film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

snoremac posted:

He's from FWWM. One of the Lodge entities that lives above the convenience store with the Man from Another Place, Bob, the Tremonds, the woodsmen, etc.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

snoremac posted:

http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Jumping_man

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

cis autodrag posted:

like what, she traps him in a tub of railroad cement like a scooby doo villain?

the whole point is there isn't another option. she has control over only one thing: whether or not she remains alive. she can only deny her abuser the thing he truly wants and force him to resort to killing her instead. it's practically a fuckin' suicide anthem. all the emotional weight is kinda gone if it was like "oh a timetraveller could have just bonked the rapist on the head with a cinderblock any time".

you are doing that thing where people conflate the literal, supernatural, and metaphorical elements of the show and come to absurd conclusions. the story has no meaning if she can just be magically saved from her trauma in the first place. what is the show about then?

I think you may be intentionally missing the point of what I said, but anyway I don't think that the story now has no meaning just because you say so. All the things that Laura suffered in FWWM, she still suffered. If there's some wacky external reversal of fortune that brings her back after the fact, it doesn't change the fact that she did what she did. You can rewatch FWWM any time and the movie will be the same movie. If the emotional weight is gone for you or other posters then I certainly won't argue against your feelings on the matter, but I don't think it just automatically stands to reason. If you think it's an absurd conclusion to state only that Laura would prefer to be alive and not possessed over being alive and possessed or being dead, then I'll just agree to disagree with you because I don't think there will be any way to advance our conversation further and that is literally all that I was saying in my previous posts. I'm not trying to make a statement that the show is better for having made the choice to play things out this way or argue if it's less meaningful to you. If you think it undermined things thematically then that's cool with me, but if you want to argue that the character of Laura was robbed of something that she would give a poo poo about then I don't know what to tell you.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Is it just me, or does it feel like most of the 'magicians' in this show (Earle, Jeffries, Cooper, I guess Briggs too) follow a similar arc? In the sense that they get a handle on the power they're summoning, but when they try to get fancy they immediately get owned?

Earle figures out how to get into the Lodge, but oversteps his bounds and gets eaten by BOB. Jeffries tried to track and engage Judy, got unstuck in spacetime, and now he's canned spirit vapor. Cooper got skilled enough to open an exit from the Lodge on his own, but the jump to the alternate reality screws up his head just like Jeffries. Briggs had sort of the 'best' run, in the sense that he evaded Dark Cooper for 25 years and kept his wits, but even then he eventually got decapitated.

Some Daedalus/Icarus poo poo going on here, with maybe a side of Faust?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like how when Booper tells Hutch "kill that phone", Hutch throws it on the ground and blows it away with a shotgun :roflolmao:

The dumbassassins are the best and I'm gonna miss 'em.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't Briggs intentionally get "decapitated" in order to travel to a place where he would be forever safe? I thought that was the point of the coordinates that Shaggy and his girlfriend got for him before the Woodsmen could find him?

I got the feeling he'd joined The Giant (The Fireman?) as a new permanent occupant of the White Lodge?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm pretty sure the original pilot was shot on film.

The whole show was. Keeping the 4:3 in the remasters is just for aesthetic reasons, due to composing the shots to fit on a home television.

e: whoops forgot to quote

esperterra fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 5, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't Briggs intentionally get "decapitated" in order to travel to a place where he would be forever safe? I thought that was the point of the coordinates that Shaggy and his girlfriend got for him before the Woodsmen could find him?

I got the feeling he'd joined The Giant (The Fireman?) as a new permanent occupant of the White Lodge?
Well his floating head's certainly been in the White Lodge since the beginning of the season, and it was there last night with the Fireman too, so yeah, I also thought he was a permanent Lodge fixture now.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

This led to me going to the article for Mrs Tremond and I FORGOT THAT OLD GRANDMA'S NAME AND THAT SHE WAS ALSO MRS CHALFONT IN FWWM AAAAAHHHH

that lady in the Palmer house is 100000% her, that's my deep analysis of that scene

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MullardEL34 posted:

So Coop essentially got Chester Desmond'ed by The Tremonds and Chalfonts....

I would watch a season 4 with Chris Isaak as Chester Desmond in the original timeline filling the Cooper role and all of the other characters treating him the exactly same way/same knowledge/relationships/etc. they had with Cooper.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Man, that was kind of a downer. Now when I watch FWWM, I won't even get the token comfort from its conclusion anymore.

It's so depressing that the original Cooper doesn't even exist at this point and has been replaced by some kind of hybrid, and even that hybrid is unstuck in time and doesn't even know what he's doing anymore. Christ.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's like pulling at a thread, the more you pull the worse it gets.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I know that Alice Tremond is not played by the singer from Chromatics, but they literally have identical haircuts and eye colors and they're wearing the exact same blouse. Lynch reused Chromatics a couple times in the Roadhouse, so I don't think it's that weird to assume that he made Alice Tremond look like the singer from Chromatics just like how he cast his musician buddy Chrysta Bell as Tammy.

lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The gently caress's wrong with y'all? lol I said I made a mistake and yet you keep quoting that. I'm well aware that it was not the same person, but I maintain that they have identical haircuts and are wearing identical blouses because they are.

It's not even like the actress is some well known person that I obviously should've known right away. This is literally her only acting credit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

surf rock posted:

Man, that was kind of a downer. Now when I watch FWWM, I won't even get the token comfort from its conclusion anymore.

It's so depressing that the original Cooper doesn't even exist at this point and has been replaced by some kind of hybrid, and even that hybrid is unstuck in time and doesn't even know what he's doing anymore. Christ.

I wonder if we're actually seeing the doppelganger watered down enough with good Cooper to make him not a danger.

The LV FBI guys asked if Dougie was in the witness protection program. Perhaps that's what Dougie is - Cooper's soul is protected in Dougie. More so, all the bad aspects of Dougie were wiped away - physical and emotional. That's why I think it was made a big deal several times about him being healthy. Same reason why when he vomited, there was just a little bit of corn (his vices of gambling and hiring prostitutes) compared to the flood of vomit from Evil Cooper (years of killing and raping).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't know if this is old news or not but I had a stupid "oh my god" moment earlier. Dougie is short for Douglas. Cooper loves Douglas Firs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I can't really gently caress with theories about how timelines are rendered irrelevant and whatnot. That would be complete bullshit. Not everything has to matter, necessarily, but everything happens.