Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If game development is going to be funded there really needs to be some measure of quality or artistic merit. This is difficult enough to do with films that have over a century of criticism to base decisions on, but I don't want the government funding games like Candy Crush no matter how profitable they may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

Move all coal subsidies to film/media subsidies.

Last time the government properly supported the Aussie film industry it resulted in some really good poo poo. So I'd definitely be behind that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah Australian film is so good once we get pumping. Like, we make some of the weirdest poo poo from a perspective that isn't seen elsewhere, but Screen Aus keep funding really boring biopics that are only of interest to over 40s who want to get a nostalgia hit.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

screaden posted:

Have you ever played at the empress hotel?

That's actually where the name came from! We used to play their open mic nights, before we had a name. Then it shut down for, what, 18 months? Hasn't been quite the same since it reopened. I used to love that band room.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

Yeah those things would be great.

There is decent Australian content out there. It's all kind of boomer/over 40 centric though
Your first point is contradicted by the second point, boomers/over 40s love poo poo TV, they love the most boring, bland entertainment available which is why lovely reality TV show's dominate the FTA space.

JBP posted:

The studios still look at the production costs and the offsets. Those films have come for the dollar for sure and the crews here are really good. The guy that produced Pacific Rim 2 really likes it here despite being angry about doing that shoot and needing to negotiate an EBA basically.
Oh no, it's a bother having to negotiate conditions with workers? gently caress off.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

GlenMR posted:

That's actually where the name came from! We used to play their open mic nights, before we had a name. Then it shut down for, what, 18 months? Hasn't been quite the same since it reopened. I used to love that band room.

Ha, yeah I have fond memories of that place. It was where I formed my first real band as well (no open mic nights though), just before it closed down for that 18 months. Think I've been back one time when a friend's band played there.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just uploaded a four minute 720p video to Youtube. It took an hour. Looks like my career as a streamer is not nearly as agile and innovative as it needs to be. Ffs Australia learn to internet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The best Australian game was LA Noire and it turned out that was made by slave labour.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I just found out that my TV has an e-sports channel on it. I'm currently watching some Korean LoL competition that I know nothing about.

But still, the future is here!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
There seems to be a decent indie game scene in Aus at the moment. Currently got my eye on this

http://www.paperbarkgame.com/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Your first point is contradicted by the second point, boomers/over 40s love poo poo TV, they love the most boring, bland entertainment available which is why lovely reality TV show's dominate the FTA space.

Oh no, it's a bother having to negotiate conditions with workers? gently caress off.

There is good drama that is well made and reality generally self funds and doesn't get govt cash. I'm interested in seeing the Romper Stomper series despite being Roadshow. Dr Blake was a pretty good show when you think about the old timey ABC stable. It rated very well too, but got canned because of funding cuts.

It's more that the process takes so long you've finished production by the time an agreement can be struck. Most studios are coming around on an offshore agreement like the one for local productions. The IR system is poo poo and too inflexible to deal with the industry. Single enterprise agreements don't work because you either have a greenfields with no one but the union, an EBA voted on by pre-production or a poo poo show during shooting. Sometimes you want the poo poo show if you're strong and can get protected action up (which is the plan to fix the local productions agreement), but more often than not you have 25% membership in the union and it's not a situation you can resolve quickly enough to strike an agreement.

e: by flexible I mean it doesn't allow you to take action with any immediacy and for a sector that employs workers for 4-18 weeks it means that you legally end up with your hands tied more often than not. You've also got the tried and true boss tactic of just not rocking up at meetings, then going to FWC three weeks later for a determination which is going to be "maybe go to the meeting if you want" meaning it's easy to delay things until the production ends and you close the company (each production is generally produced by a subsidiary company of the studio/producer).

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 5, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

I suspect a big issue isn't even the red tape of having to do an EBA so much as having to abide by a reasonable EBA. Hollywood basically runs on 70 hour weeks no overtime as norm (often worse) because the US has poo poo for all rights and the film industry has endless eager workers to burn out. Then you come to Oz and it's all 'what's this, worker rights? How oppressive!'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 5, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i want to make a game for kids in which you set up habitat areas in a virtual backyard with a bunch of different plant species to choose from and if you provide enough suitable habitat various native animals will come and live there, with occasional random catastrophes like fox and cat incursions

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cartoon posted:

Just uploaded a four minute 720p video to Youtube. It took an hour. Looks like my career as a streamer is not nearly as agile and innovative as it needs to be. Ffs Australia learn to internet.

Yah, since I got the NBN I've actually got decent download speeds but still lol uploads and probably more dropouts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the old ceremony posted:

i want to make a game for kids in which you set up habitat areas in a virtual backyard with a bunch of different plant species to choose from and if you provide enough suitable habitat various native animals will come and live there, with occasional random catastrophes like fox and cat incursions

Toss a few infoboxes on there to make it educational, you could probably get some grant money for that pitch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MikeJF posted:

I suspect a big issue isn't even the red tape of having to do an EBA so much as having to abide by a reasonable EBA. Hollywood basically runs on 70 hour weeks no overtime as norm (often worse) because the US has poo poo for all rights and the film industry has endless eager workers to burn out. Then you come to Oz and it's all 'what's this, worker rights? How oppressive!'

The Aquaman EBA is "reasonable" as far as film goes (ot for weekends and 6th days, triple time if a day goes longer than 13 hours, other bits and bobs) and it seems like the Americans are going to be ok with it as a template.

The heads of department that come over are very much in the "what the gently caress is this country" camp when they see agreement conditions.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

open24hours posted:

If game development is going to be funded there really needs to be some measure of quality or artistic merit. This is difficult enough to do with films that have over a century of criticism to base decisions on, but I don't want the government funding games like Candy Crush no matter how profitable they may be.

No, this is wrong. The core challenge is achieving density in the ecosystem - not about what individual studios are doing but having enough medium to big players that you have a sizable talent pool (which creates spinoffs and attracts further investment by multinationals, which is critical) and all the related support businesses - animation and mocap studios, concept artists, contractors of all kinds. You can't do poo poo in a void and you need the system to survive failure of any studio or project. You expect a lot of commercial product like CC because it's the talented people in those studios who get sick of it and go do their own thing who are most likely to succeed.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

Toss a few infoboxes on there to make it educational, you could probably get some grant money for that pitch.
i can't program

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

the old ceremony posted:

Sounds like Viva Pinata.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
One of my D&D friends has developed a game and it launches soon on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/453220/BrambleLash/

everyone go and buy his game

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

GoldStandardConure posted:

It's a little like the dancing flowers in Fantasia

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cmon High Court, murder the survey and the LNP

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

The games stuff is so bad. The people in government that might support it have just resigned themselves to saying "the US will just take those producers/developers and the workers anyway so gently caress it". We were on the cusp of having that high tech industry pumping, but it fell over and everyone watched it going ah well.

Federally it's hosed but there are some really promising things going on at state levels behind the scenes at the moment/

the old ceremony posted:

I genuinely love this idea.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
My iPhone battery life is poo poo house and Apple want me to pay for the service because it's a consumable part older than a year and therefore not covered by the ACL. Even after escalating to a manager.

That's bullshit, right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Synthbuttrange posted:

cmon High Court, murder the survey and the LNP

Nooo, I've got money on the survey. We've already had all the destructive propaganda, let me at least get paid for it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Australian movies annoy me a lot because there seems to be a rule that they have to be about Australia and really push the fact that they are from Australia and Aussies are cool and top blokes all round etc.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bigis posted:

My iPhone battery life is poo poo house and Apple want me to pay for the service because it's a consumable part older than a year and therefore not covered by the ACL.

ACCC?

Contact them and check. Wait, iPhone batteries are "consumable"? You can't even access it, god apple are poo poo.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Zenithe posted:

ACCC?

Contact them and check. Wait, iPhone batteries are "consumable"? You can't even access it, god apple are poo poo.

Yeah I'm gonna contact the ACCC and my state consumer protection. I even argued your point about it being inaccessible.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bigis posted:

My iPhone battery life is poo poo house and Apple want me to pay for the service because it's a consumable part older than a year and therefore not covered by the ACL. Even after escalating to a manager.

That's bullshit, right?

Nope, all manufacturers have 12 months warranty on batteries in devices like phones or laptops, as it is considered a wear item.

Even my workplace with its agreed 3 year on site warranty with Dell can only get a 12 month warranty on the batteries in their laptops.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unfortunately, ACL doesn't list specific timeframes, but phones are generally interpreted as being at least two years. Batteries in an iPhone are non-user-replacable, so I don't know how they could claim it's consumable. You definitely have the right for a repair there.

Apple's Australian website states that they will replace any battery under 80% of original capacity that's still under consumer law, which indicates that they definitely do consider batteries under that law.

It's actually illegal for Apple to attempt to mislead you about your rights here, which is always fun to throw into a conversation with them on this topic.

Did you buy direct from Apple or through a phone store? If the latter, it may be easier to go through them.

You Am I posted:

Nope, all manufacturers have 12 months warranty on batteries in devices like phones or laptops, as it is considered a wear item.

Manufacturer warranty isn't the issue at hand here, it's the consumer guarantee.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 5, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Also you can't just replace an iPhone battery, doing so voids the warranty.

I had this issue with my old Nexus 5 and basically just yelled at Google until they gave me a full refund. Then got a Nexus 5X with that money which I'll bet will fail from the same thing, so I'll rinse repeat.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I bought the phone through iiNet so I'll have a crack at them as well.

I'm probably pushing my luck because my iPhone 6 is 2 years and 3 months old but the ACL is broad enough with 'reasonable time' so you never know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Australian movies annoy me a lot because there seems to be a rule that they have to be about Australia and really push the fact that they are from Australia and Aussies are cool and top blokes all round etc.

Pacific Rim is the best Aussie movie of the last few years

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

But what was with that pair of pilots - the Aussie guy and his South African son.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

MikeJF posted:

Unfortunately, ACL doesn't list specific timeframes, but phones are generally interpreted as being at least two years. Batteries in an iPhone are non-user-replacable, so I don't know how they could claim it's consumable. You definitely have the right for a repair there.

Apple's Australian website states that they will replace any battery under 80% of original capacity that's still under consumer law, which indicates that they definitely do consider batteries under that law.

It's actually illegal for Apple to attempt to mislead you about your rights here, which is always fun to throw into a conversation with them on this topic.

Did you buy direct from Apple or through a phone store? If the latter, it may be easier to go through them.

Manufacturer warranty isn't the issue at hand here, it's the consumer guarantee.

Yeah this is correct. ACL covers you for a "reasonable" period. This has never been legally defined but the cost and purpose of the product is taken into account to determine what is reasonable.

Apple got in some big trouble with the ACCC so I'm surprised they're doing it again.

Your consumer guarantee should absolutely cover you for more than a year given how expensive phones are and that the battery is a non replaceable part, so if it doesn't work the whole phone doesn't work.

Under the ACL there are two types of fault, major and minor. A major fault is defined as if the consumer knew in advance that the fault would occur they would not have purchased the product in question. With a major fault it is also up to the customer to decide on whether they want a repair/replace/refund - not the retailer.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

GoldStandardConure posted:

Oh sweet I tried this at PAX a couple years back and really liked it. Got some really nice pins from them too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

If your iPhone battery is indeed under performing in relation to is age, they should be running a simple test at the Genius bar that determines that, and replacing the battery if the phone is under 2 years old.

if your are on a contract to get the phone its technically covered for the duration of the contract (the carrier cannot provide you a phone for a 24mo contract but only warranty the phone for 12mo), but outside of the inital 12mo warranty you probably have to deal with the carrier/accc.

in my experience with Apple, and the biggest reason I stick with their phones, if you go into the genius bar and have an issue and you dont try to trick them or get mad/blamey they are USUALLY pretty helpful. I dropped my old phone and went in expecting to pay the drop-tax to repair it and owned up to being an idiot, but they found a manufacturing defect (unrelated to the screen actually breaking) and repaired it for free outside of warranty period/terms.

similarly my iphone 5 had a poo poo battery which I took to them, they ran a quick test, confirmed it was indeed not performing as it should be based on its age, and replaced the battery free of charge, again, outside of warranty.

lastly, sometimes it depends who you get at the genius bar too. usually they are just people who want to help you out, and they look for ways to bend the rules to help you out like with my screen issue. Sometimes, you get the autistic guy who is a stickler for the procedure and the warranty rules. These people are not usually the type of people apple want to employ, because they'd rather keep a customer at a cost than lose one to save a cost.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hollow knight is australian and it's really good. ok bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pwnstar posted:

The only one I can think of that isn't like this is one I saw in high school, The Black Balloon. Which as time goes on only becomes more and more offensive to me as a movie.

Yeah, awesome, make a movie ostensibly about an autistic that actually focuses only on his brother and how hard he has it dealing with this, that's great.

• Locked thread