Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The Protagonist posted:

Recently getting back into this and I'm wondering about which of the power's weapons are worth going for, given the 4-weeks time requirement for each of them. I'm thinking about going for the imperial hammer or pack missiles first, curious if they actually deliver an edge or are just gimmicks.

Weapons are mostly gimmicks, but APACs are pretty mean, I hear...

If you want to do big ship PVP, go with Space Princess for the prismatic shields, other than that just grab whatever takes your fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm interested to hear from people who've used them versus their generic counterparts, re the APACs and rails in particular. I'll probably work towards the prismatic shields eventually but that bi-weave regen is just too good to give up for sustained sequential skirmishes.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
One benefit of packhound missiles is that if your target has point defense, you can still get some hits with a few missiles rather than losing it completely by it getting shot down. The trade-off is that (I think) packhounds don't hit quite as hard on a large target, or something.

But if you're not launching missiles like this, then why even have missiles on your spaceship in the first place

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Wait, there's no penalty for speeding near stations and planetary outposts - it just comes up saying you're speeding but doesn't hit you with a bounty?

FUUUUUUUUUUCK I have wasted so much time going slow!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wait, there's no penalty for speeding near stations and planetary outposts - it just comes up saying you're speeding but doesn't hit you with a bounty?

It only becomes an issue if you hit someone.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you run into someone while you're speeding and damage them you get fined. If you run into someone while you're speeding and they blow up I think it counts as you murdering them and you get a bounty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kramjacks posted:

If you run into someone while you're speeding and damage them you get fined. If you run into someone while you're speeding and they blow up I think it counts as you murdering them and you get a bounty.

You get summarily executed by the static defenses if there's a fatal collision inside the docking area, which is why suicidewinders are a thing.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's not too terrible to go slow while you're entering or leaving a station. That way you don't, say, get within one jump of finishing a stack of high payout deliveries, then boost triumphantly out of a refueling station, only you aim it slightly wrong and ping pong around in the mail slot for two horrifying seconds before exploding and failing everything. Say.

:negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

HJE-Cobra posted:

One benefit of packhound missiles is that if your target has point defense, you can still get some hits with a few missiles rather than losing it completely by it getting shot down. The trade-off is that (I think) packhounds don't hit quite as hard on a large target, or something.

But if you're not launching missiles like this, then why even have missiles on your spaceship in the first place

:getin:

4 pack of packhounds on a Cutter

bring heatsinks

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Breetai posted:

Anyone interested in giving mining a try, come on down to GCRV1568. It's got 2 stations in close proximity that give you everything you need:

The marked station, Gagnan hub, has every module that you'd need to mine, from a 4A refinery, class 1, 3, and 5 collector limpets, prospector limpets, and both classes of mining laser. The gas giant on the left has metal-rich and metallic rings, and the metallic ring is ridiculously rich: there's a bunch of Platinum, Gold and Painite. Best of all, the station attached to the leftmost gas giant, Cernan Dock, pays generally higher than galactic average prices for everything you can find in the rings - including almost double galactic average for painite.

You can pop in, completely re-spec your ship with mining equipment, tool around for a bit, and sell the materials for good prices in the same system. I took my cargo hauler python, outfitted it to this, and made $2,000,000 in a single mining outing. Cernan generally has a bunch of mining missions as well.

Got a bit Quinced out so I thought I'd try to zen out a little with some mining. Really diggin' this system, it's nice not having to jump out to find all the mineral types the missions are looking for.

Bonus mining action screenshot.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

Bonus mining action screenshot.

I thought that was a Homeworld screenshot at first.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Just ran into some strange. Was in a lawless system, got interdicted by an npc cuz I wasn't paying attention.

Some lovely little Viper. I start blowing it up, and when its shields hit 0, instead of dropping, he went grey, dropped my target on him, and instantly back to full shields.

This happened like 4 times before I gave up and jump out.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

NPCs have hax again

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Neat.

Also just jumped into a system where the station is almost 400k LS from the star. :negative:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Hobold posted:

Neat.

Also just jumped into a system where the station is almost 400k LS from the star. :negative:

Are you not immersed?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Krycek posted:

Are you not immersed?

Oh, totally. Alt-tabbed and caught up on the news while I checked my heading every now and again.

I've heard of Hutton. Farthest station from the star? Sounds exciting.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Inspector Hound posted:

It's not too terrible to go slow while you're entering or leaving a station. That way you don't, say, get within one jump of finishing a stack of high payout deliveries, then boost triumphantly out of a refueling station, only you aim it slightly wrong and ping pong around in the mail slot for two horrifying seconds before exploding and failing everything. Say.

:negative:

Fuel scoops, man!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Fuel scoops, man!

I had just come through a veritable Never-Never of whatever those dead purple stars are, T I think.

"Oh Be A Goon Fucker, Kill Me" is probably the most insane mnemonic device I'll ever memorize

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Inspector Hound posted:

I had just come through a veritable Never-Never of whatever those dead purple stars are, T I think.

"Oh Be A Goon Fucker, Kill Me" is probably the most insane mnemonic device I'll ever memorize

I found KGB FOAM easier to remember. Just checking the top 7 classes will also do it.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Boogalo posted:

I found KGB FOAM easier to remember. Just checking the top 7 classes will also do it.

The benefit of 'Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me' (or similar alternatives >.< ) is that it lists the classes of main sequence stars in order of temperature from hottest to coolest. Fairly useless in terms of Elite, but good for nerd points.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh Be A Fat Goon, Kill Me
:v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Ocelots Beg Anteaters For Good Kosher Meats

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like the acronym "Set only scoopable stars as waypoints filter."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reportedly part of the 2.4 beta's overhauled route plotting is marking on the galactic map the last scoopable system before you run dry.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

haveblue posted:

Reportedly part of the 2.4 beta's overhauled route plotting is marking on the galactic map the last scoopable system before you run dry.

Yeah you can also plot out to 20k LY (:chanpop:) and it can automatically route you to neutron star boosts along the way (and update your route appropriately).

Yooge QOL change.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 5, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is it quicker to just do 4 normal jumps than trying to tickle the dragon's tail?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ak Gara posted:

Is it quicker to just do 4 normal jumps than trying to tickle the dragon's tail?

Usually it's faster to jump normally, but if you get really fast at it you can do neutron jumping a little quicker. It's also possible to achieve a double neutron jump by recharging the boost while in countdown mode, which of course is a big time saver if you can pull it off.

I like neutron boosting though because it gives me small goals on a long journey.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ak Gara posted:

I've been doing a lot of neutron hopping the past couple of days and it's so much faster than regular jumps. I'm using spansh.co.uk to plot the route and copying system names there and have a keyboard macro set up to go to the galaxy map, go to the 2nd tab, paste the clipboard contents, and hit enter, press right once, and press enter again. This plots the route to the next star. Then while the FSD is charging I copy the next system into the clipboard. When the jump is completed I fly into the tail and supercharge, then hit my macro key and do it all over again. I'm doing about 4kly in an hour-ish in my AspX.

I do occasionally have to go off course to scoop for more fuel and repair the FSD but the time savings are significant.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

If you can chain them, neutron star hopping definitively is faster.
If not it depends on how fast you can navigate the galaxy map to pick your next jump: on my trip to and back from Colonia I got pretty comfortable using the Galmap, which sped up the trip considerably; also a neutron jump will allow you to skip 3 out of the 4 jump transitions you'd go through crossing the same distance doing normal jumps, which depending on your HDD and the status of the Frontier servers can add up quite a few seconds each.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What's a good way to fit a dolphin for passenger missions? Should I have economy only Or like business/luxury? Like what's the decent payouts like?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TipsyMcStagger posted:

What's a good way to fit a dolphin for passenger missions? Should I have economy only Or like business/luxury? Like what's the decent payouts like?

I do first class and then business, you can get a wide range of passengers. You're not going to see luxury missions until your best buds with a station. As for missions: transport missions are usually from 50k up to 4.5mil and sometimes just one or two jumps. Sight seeing missions take people up to 20 jumps or so and can pay 2-10 million. Then there's explorers missions where does want to pay 1-30 million, but that's to go over 10k light years. The last kind are never really worth it. Pay attention to your passengers needs, especially criminals and dudes who don't like being scanned. Pack heat sinks and get used to silent running to about being scanned as much as possible. And even tho it's a passenger ship, pack a shield. You're going to get interdicted and you need a buffer while you jump away. I'd also suggest a advanced discovery scanner and honk every system. Especially on round trip missions where you can drop all that data off on the passengers return trip and make some more money and increase your rep.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If you are doing straight transport i would suggest going all business. If you are doing sightseeing buy all types and just refit depending on what jobs are available.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So fit like this?

https://eddp.co/u/oL4Tvwms

Maybe upgrade thrusters and power plant for moooar speed?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So fit like this?

https://eddp.co/u/oL4Tvwms

Maybe upgrade thrusters and power plant for moooar speed?

That's a pretty good little space bus. Speed isn't as important as jump range so I think that's fine. I typically go 3C Bi weave shields personally. I will say that despite appearance the Asp Explorer makes a far better passenger ship. It can't fit luxury cabins, but you won't be getting those missions for a while. I used a dolphin to build up to an Asp, then did Space-Uber for a week and was able to get into a Python. It can be very lucrative for the amount of effort and risk involved.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Slowly learning that I despise Limpet drones for collecting cargo/materials.

They can't redock so they're stuck out there till they die. They also die almost instantly if you happen to get into a firefight.

Unless you happened to have something targeted, which it will scoop up that one thing, then promptly self destruct. :negative:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Limpet drones are meant to be disposable commodities.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I get that, but there could be better ways of doing it. Track fuel remaining on the drones, and let them re-dock when not actively moving crates around. Keeps em from getting blown up, idling to death, or lost when frame shifting.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hobold posted:

I get that, but there could be better ways of doing it. Track fuel remaining on the drones, and let them re-dock when not actively moving crates around. Keeps em from getting blown up, idling to death, or lost when frame shifting.

You'll be able to build them from junk in the next patch, making them even more disposable. :shrug:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Been saving up money so now I figured I'd get into exploring. Got a ship all fitted out and such.

Are there any recommendations on must see places for an explorer getting their feet wet? (sorta wet - did the artifact scanning mission in a Hauler).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

TopHatGenius posted:

Been saving up money so now I figured I'd get into exploring. Got a ship all fitted out and such.

Are there any recommendations on must see places for an explorer getting their feet wet? (sorta wet - did the artifact scanning mission in a Hauler).

If you want to make money, :google: the Road to Riches.

Otherwise, pick a destination and start flying. I like to think of it as something of a mountain climb, with my destination being the summit. Sag A* or Colonia are good long hauls, or you can pick a day tripper like Orion or one of the asteroid bases.

Or just scroll around the galaxy map to some random nebula! Next patch will let you plot 20KLY routes, so exploration will get even more casual! :science:

• Locked thread