Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cephas posted:

I don't know if this is old news or not but I had a stupid "oh my god" moment earlier. Dougie is short for Douglas. Cooper loves Douglas Firs.
Nice catch, never made the connection myself.

No one seemed to really bite on it earlier when I mentioned it, but I realized the other day that Dougie's son is named Jim Jones. I can at least see why Cooper would be named after D.B. Cooper, but the Jim Jones connection baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Little Mac posted:

I can't really gently caress with theories about how timelines are rendered irrelevant and whatnot. That would be complete bullshit. Not everything has to matter, necessarily, but everything happens.
Well yeah, it happened and then the timeline was erased.

If you have a file on your computer and you delete it, it was on your computer at one time but it's gone now.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you have a file on your computer and you delete it, it was on your computer at one time but it's gone now.

We do not actually know if it was the same timeline as the one we see in the first two seasons though!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

No one seemed to really bite on it earlier when I mentioned it, but I realized the other day that Dougie's son is named Jim Jones. I can at least see why Cooper would be named after D.B. Cooper, but the Jim Jones connection baffles me.

maybe David Lynch really likes Dipset

Tiffany
May 29, 2013

Raxivace posted:

It's Sonny Jim Jones not just Jim Jones. No connection, Lynch/Frost would not name a wholesome little boy after a cult leader.

Tiffany
May 29, 2013

I see a lot of theories about Odessa Cooper being a tulpa or somewhat evil. I think it's really Cooper but he's in one of those lodge induced hazes sort of like what happened when he was inside of Dougie without his memories just less extreme. Plus, he probably thinks he's surrounded by enemies and doesn't know what's real or fake in the Judy diner which explains why he's so abrupt with the waitress and points his gun at the elderly couple and restaurant staff. He's on a rescue mission.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yeah, I disagree. Like I put forth in my earlier effortpost, I don't see any reason why things can't and don't happen as they normally would.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tiffany posted:

I see a lot of theories about Odessa Cooper being a tulpa or somewhat evil. I think it's really Cooper but he's in one of those lodge induced hazes sort of like what happened when he was inside of Dougie without his memories just less extreme. Plus, he probably thinks he's surrounded by enemies and doesn't know what's real or fake in the Judy diner which explains why he's so abrupt with the waitress and points his gun at the elderly couple and restaurant staff. He's on a rescue mission.

All throughout episode 18, we see first-person shots of driving at night. Up until episode 18, those shots have been frequently and exclusively used to indicate that Booper was driving somewhere.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He's not Cooper or Booper. He's Richard. Did you guys miss the fact there in a universe where everything is different? Including Cooper.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 5, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Little Mac posted:

Yeah, I disagree. Like I put forth in my earlier effortpost, I don't see any reason why things can't and don't happen as they normally would.
Wait, explain this one to me. I'm not saying you can't think that, but like...in a world where it's been shown over and over again that multiple realities exist and where it's been shown that a new version of the pilot episode exists in which the pivotal plot points of the original no longer happen, how do things just go about like normal in that world? What even is "normal" in that world?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think we should just assume any reality has been destroyed. We have no idea how any of this works.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

still catching up with the thread but I loved every minute of S3 and Ep18 sucked and pissed me off.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Basticle posted:

still catching up with the thread but I loved every minute of S3 and Ep18 sucked and pissed me off.

:lol: This is why I love a good Lynch finale like this, because it inspires such reactions

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I do know for a fact Odessa Cooper is not Real Cooper because that man did not use his blinkers when turning.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

caligulamprey posted:

I do know for a fact Odessa Cooper is not Real Cooper because that man did not use his blinkers when turning.
He also probably would've safely disposed of the cowboys' guns instead of deep frying them if he was Real Cooper.

DOPPELGANGER DETECTED

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Did Windom Earle ever get mentioned in The Return? I'm at least surprised they didn't imply that there were some doppelganger shenanigans going on with him too (unless that was there in S2 and i missed it)?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i'm sad that twin peaks is over

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

:lol: This is why I love a good Lynch finale like this, because it inspires such reactions

I'm a big Lynch fan and yeah... the ending is very typical Lynch. Only movies I can think of with a more mainstream ending that he did were Dune and Wild At Heart. "What year is is?" That sticks with me. That and "Got a light?" The quote and the episode. That episode was bloody art. Makes me wish Lynch would do another darker movie that came close to horror.

Can completely understand why the ending would irritate some but I dug it.

So glad I did a massive rewatch of all things Twin Peaks.

As an aside: anyone know where I can stream Lost Highway and Eraserhead? I can borrow a friend's Eraserhead but haven't seen Lost Highway in ages. Remember really liking it. Wore out the soundtrack while driving at night about a decade ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Did Windom Earle ever get mentioned in The Return? I'm at least surprised they didn't imply that there were some doppelganger shenanigans going on with him too (unless that was there in S2 and i missed it)?
I don't think he even gets namedropped once in The Return, which is pretty wild considering he was essential to the whole Lodge plot in Season 2 and we see loving Josie and Pete and hear Donna namedropped and they never show up in the rest of the season but Windom Earle isn't mentioned by anyone.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

In my headcanon Earle survived his encounter at the black lodge but gave up supervillainy in order to pursue a less glamorous lifestyle extorting money from sexually deprived salarymen in Japan.

He now goes by the name of, excuse me, Findom Earle.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Regarde Aduck posted:

He's not Cooper or Booper. He's Richard. Did you guys miss the fact there in a universe where everything is different? Including Cooper.

Yeah, that's probably why he's so confused at why Diane is calling him Richard and herself Linda, and why he introduces himself as Agent Dale Cooper later in the same episode.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I don't mind that they dropped Earle. He never lived up to the way he was described. Not even close.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The gently caress's wrong with y'all? lol I said I made a mistake and yet you keep quoting that. I'm well aware that it was not the same person, but I maintain that they have identical haircuts and are wearing identical blouses because they are.

It's not even like the actress is some well known person that I obviously should've known right away. This is literally her only acting credit.

Alice's hair is straight and the Chromatics' singer's hair is wavy. Alice's blouse has french cuffs and the Chromatics' singer's blouse has frilly cuffs. They're not identical at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

romanowski posted:

i'm sad that twin peaks is over

Same but I'm not even sure I want a season 4. I guess I only want it if Lynch wants it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'd rather have another semi self-contained movie than another season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Your Parents posted:

Alice's hair is straight and the Chromatics' singer's hair is wavy. Alice's blouse has french cuffs and the Chromatics' singer's blouse has frilly cuffs. They're not identical at all.
I like that several posters in the thread are on this crusade to prove me wrong and shame me about this lol

Like I admit I have mental issues, but y'all have more issues than me which makes me seem sane by comparison and that's kinda loving bonkers

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kaworu posted:

I love every smug rear end in a top hat coming out to deride people who weren't a fan of the ending. I'm coming around on the ending but no need to be a dick about things.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I knew this would delvole into another "You just don't get itttttt" fake woke arguement. People are so scared to criticize Lynch because he's an underdog but it's unhealthy to not do so.

I also knew people would start using their theories for ep 18 as fact when nobody knows poo poo because there's not a way to know what's really going on. He didn't give enough clues and intentionally left things as vague as possible in case they continue the story and because that's how he always envisioned the series going. Unlike his other work which can be dischpered this cannot. Just like someone posted he had to have multiple expostion dumps because things were so muddled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The last ten minutes owned because it was like I was slowly being beaten to a bloody pulp and then murdered in the final 30 seconds.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I like that several posters in the thread are on this crusade to prove me wrong and shame me about this lol

Like I admit I have mental issues, but y'all have more issues than me which makes me seem sane by comparison and that's kinda loving bonkers

Here's a tip about moving past this: Stop Responding. Let it die. Don't even acknowledge this post.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RBX posted:

I knew this would delvole into another "You just don't get itttttt" fake woke arguement. People are so scared to criticize Lynch because he's an underdog but it's unhealthy to not do so.

I also knew people would start using their theories for ep 18 as fact when nobody knows poo poo because there's not a way to know what's really going on. He didn't give enough clues and intentionally left things as vague as possible in case they continue the story and because that's how he always envisioned the series going. Unlike his other work which can be dischpered this cannot. Just like someone posted he had to have multiple expostion dumps because things were so muddled.
People can absolutely dislike the finale and I can see why they would, but I don't think "it cannot be deciphered" is a valid argument when essentially it's ambiguous like most of Lynch's other works and within a few hours I was already piecing together a plausible enough explanation to the finale in my mind thanks to various theories that people were coming up with.

Of course there's no "right" answer because the ending is ambiguous and Lynch doesn't directly spell out how his endings should be interpreted, so any answer is still just going to be a theory, but as with Lynch's previous work, it's absolutely possible that a generally accepted theory that makes sense in context could be constructed.

Obviously not everyone will agree on the same interpretation, but it's not like it's completely out of the realm of possibility for people to come up with logical interpretations to this either.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Don't worry guys, the reason Coop was acting weird after he came out of the lodge at Glastonberry Grove and rode the lightning to Odessa is because he's the tulpa. Real Coop sent the tulpa back to save Laura while he went back home to Vegas to bang Janey-E into his twilight years.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People can absolutely dislike the finale and I can see why they would, but I don't think "it cannot be deciphered" is a valid argument when essentially it's ambiguous like most of Lynch's other works and within a few hours I was already piecing together a plausible enough explanation to the finale in my mind thanks to various theories that people were coming up with.

Of course there's no "right" answer because the ending is ambiguous and Lynch doesn't directly spell out how his endings should be interpreted, so any answer is still just going to be a theory, but as with Lynch's previous work, it's absolutely possible that a generally accepted theory that makes sense in context could be constructed.

Obviously not everyone will agree on the same interpretation, but it's not like it's completely out of the realm of possibility for people to come up with logical interpretations to this either.

None of his stuff is that ambiguous though. Twin Peaks season 2 ended in a very clear and concise way. It's a cliffhanger but NOT ambiguous. Mullholland Dr and Lost Highway has a clear story and characters and both are consistent in tone and overall direction.

Anybody can come up with a theory as you said but that means nothing to the plain fact that it's no way to know from the text.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cliffhangers by their very nature are ambiguous.

Like leaving a character's fate uncertain is like the most straightforward way to do ambiguity period.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 5, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RBX posted:

None of his stuff is that ambiguous though. Twin Peaks season 2 ended in a very clear and concise way. It's a cliffhanger but NOT ambiguous. Mullholland Dr and Lost Highway has a clear story and characters and both are consistent in tone and overall direction.

Anybody can come up with a theory as you said but that means nothing to the plain fact that it's no way to know from the text.
You saying Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway have "clear stories" is basically the same as Lynch saying in interviews that he never intentionally misleads his audience and everything he presents should be easy to decipher. To him? Maybe, but not to a lot of people. You can't expect an average person to watch Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway and think "Wow, that was the clearest narrative I've ever seen." It takes multiple watches and using your brain to actually piece those stories together, at least for me, and I feel like I'm probably putting more effort into understanding Lynch's work than the average person would be.

I know a lot of people who have seen 1 or 2 of Lynch's movies, thought they were loving stupid and never watched another movie of his. Me? They initially confuse me, which eats away at me and drives me to want to understand them, so I'll watch them multiple times and read theories and take multiple perspectives into account before they finally click for me. But them clicking for me after all that effort makes them way more satisfying to me than, say, an average Hollywood movie where everything is spelled out and there's no real mystery that sticks with you and makes you want to figure it out.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Been pondering a lot and came up with some important stuff

Bubble Bobble...

BOB

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Capntastic posted:

Been pondering a lot and came up with some important stuff

Bubble Bobble...

BOB
My name is Annie, and I've been with Laura and Bubble Bobble. The good Bubble Bobble is in the Lodge and he can't leave. Write it in your diary.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
When Diane and Cooper were driving during the daytime, they came to a place that looked like where Bad Cooper crashed his car. They talked about the place like it was the point of no return. Anyone got an idea what it could mean?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I think it's fair to criticize any piece of media. I think it's a lame copout to respond to a very dense and oblique cliffhanger ending like that to just go I DONT GET IT THAT SUCKED rear end. Like, come on, you've watched -this show- all the way to the end and that's all you have? Part of the fun is using your imagination to try and piece together meaning for yourself, and to interpret all of the ~artsy clues and imagery and symbolism~ spread throughout the mythos built up to this point. Things don't have to be explicitly spelled out and shown on screen to glean meaning from them. We have an entire season's worth of cryptic messages, clues, motifs, and hints from various characters and entities to help us try and ascribe meaning or feelings to what we were shown.

It's fair to criticize the show - there's plenty of poo poo to criticize about it, but I don't think it's fair to say something is Bad just because you didn't get what you want. I think that's just kind of missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

pissdude posted:

I think it's fair to criticize any piece of media. I think it's a lame copout to respond to a very dense and oblique cliffhanger ending like that to just go I DONT GET IT THAT SUCKED rear end. Like, come on, you've watched -this show- all the way to the end and that's all you have? Part of the fun is using your imagination to try and piece together meaning for yourself, and to interpret all of the ~artsy clues and imagery and symbolism~ spread throughout the mythos built up to this point. Things don't have to be explicitly spelled out and shown on screen to glean meaning from them. We have an entire season's worth of cryptic messages, clues, motifs, and hints from various characters and entities to help us try and ascribe meaning or feelings to what we were shown.

It's fair to criticize the show - there's plenty of poo poo to criticize about it, but I don't think it's fair to say something is Bad just because you didn't get what you want. I think that's just kind of missing the point.

I agree with all of this. I hope no one thinks I thought the end was poo poo. The best part of his stuff is sharing theories just saying when people run with their theory as fact is the problem.

Raxivace posted:

Cliffhangers by their very nature are ambiguous.

Like leaving a character's fate uncertain is like the most straightforward way to do ambiguity period.

How is his fate ambiguous? He's in the lodge and Bob and his dopple left. Him and Bob laugh just like they did in the lodge. We see the dopple catch up with Cooper before he gets through the curtains. There's not mystery except "What will happen next? "

You saying Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway have "clear stories" is basically the same as Lynch saying in interviews that he never intentionally misleads his audience and everything he presents should be easy to decipher. To him? Maybe, but not to a lot of people. You can't expect an average person to watch Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway and think "Wow, that was the clearest narrative I've ever seen." It takes multiple watches and using your brain to actually piece those stories together, at least for me, and I feel like I'm probably putting more effort into understanding Lynch's work than the average person would be.

I know a lot of people who have seen 1 or 2 of Lynch's movies, thought they were loving stupid and never watched another movie of his. Me? They initially confuse me, which eats away at me and drives me to want to understand them, so I'll watch them multiple times and read theories and take multiple perspectives into account before they finally click for me. But them clicking for me after all that effort makes them way more satisfying to me than, say, an average Hollywood movie where everything is spelled out and there's no real mystery that sticks with you and makes you want to figure it out.

None of that has anything to do with what I said. They have clear stories, it doesn't matter how you get there but the story and what's happening is clear in the text.

RBX fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 5, 2017