Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Erfworld as it started out was about this dumb fat nerd figuring out the weird game world he landed in, and when I stopped reading it it had mostly become about the characters of the fantasy game world who don't really see anything weird about the world around them. It went from thought experiment to just a plain ol' fantasy story.

It's not the only webcomic that wound up getting rid of its visual component to focus on text, but it's definitely one of the ones that was pretty high quality beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Morbi posted:

As a writer, it's extremely tempting to want to go "ohhh, pleeeease let me tell you about this character's history" because, of course, you've spent so much time thinking about it. I think it'll be more interesting to just stick to the plot-related bits and then potentially expand on the rest later in dedicated side stories.

On a related note, a lot of people mentioned Erfworld to me ever since I announced the format change, but I kind of intentionally avoided looking at it for cues because it lost my interest long before it started doing text updates regularly.

it's a good resource on what not to do, creatively, but since you had the judgement to not make a comic based entirely on pop-cultural references and game mechanics in the first place you probably don't need it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Book 1 does still make a pretty good self-contained story, at least. It's like the old Star Wars movies and the EU novels. There being blanks in the background detail that imply a larger world than what you're given, followed by people killing all the mystique of it by obsessively filling in those blanks.

It's like that whole "explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog" thing, just on a much larger scale.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
re: last page

PMush Perfect posted:

Goblins Goblins is the comic that Goblins thinks and wishes it was.

It's :smith:y good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's a good resource on what not to do, creatively, but since you had the judgement to not make a comic based entirely on pop-cultural references and game mechanics in the first place you probably don't need it

I got as far as 'spidwews' and closed the window, never to look back

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Erfworld has never stopped from being good.

(Well, okay, I couldn't get through the backer short stories, but still.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of Poppy:

Could "The Withdrawal" be a reference to that they maybe had to pull out his Opossum Magic Suppression System for the teleport in and ship a replacement locally?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Erfworld has never stopped from being good.

(Well, okay, I couldn't get through the backer short stories, but still.)

Technically you can't stop something that never started, so yes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay everyone

Pack it in

https://twitter.com/CasualFennec/status/903910036556173313

it don't ever get better than this

This is peak we have accomplished our mission

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Okay everyone

Pack it in

https://twitter.com/CasualFennec/status/903910036556173313

it don't ever get better than this

This is peak we have accomplished our mission

lol

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Did the first image actually get used in an article about Stonehenge or is it just yet another loss edit?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Phillby posted:

Did the first image actually get used in an article about Stonehenge or is it just yet another loss edit?

Spoilered out of respect to Burkion: Looks like a loss edit. Compare it to the second photo here.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I meant that did the picture that is a photomanip of stonehenge to look like loss.jpg get used by mistake in an actual article about stonehenge as is implied by the included caption, which is really funny as thats not what stonehenge really looks like, or is it that the caption was included to add authenticity to the picture ie. to fool people who don't know what stonehenge actually looks like into believing from a certain angle stonehenge really does have stones arranged in a way that resembles loss.jpg and therefore this is just a run of the mill loss edit meme picture being shared on the internet?

I know what stonehenge looks like it doesn't have stones arranged in that way at all you don't have to link me a picture of stonehenge like i don't know what it actually looks like I've been there. I've been as close to stonehenge as english heritage will allow visitors to be to stonehenge. I've seen a timeteam special where they went so close to stonehenge that the camera men were within stonehenge

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Phillby posted:

I meant that did the picture that is a photomanip of stonehenge to look like loss.jpg get used by mistake in an actual article about stonehenge as is implied by the included caption, which is really funny as thats not what stonehenge really looks like, or is it that the caption was included to add authenticity to the picture ie. to fool people who don't know what stonehenge actually looks like into believing from a certain angle stonehenge really does have stones arranged in a way that resembles loss.jpg and therefore this is just a run of the mill loss edit meme picture being shared on the internet?

I know what stonehenge looks like it doesn't have stones arranged in that way at all you don't have to link me a picture of stonehenge like i don't know what it actually looks like I've been there. I've been as close to stonehenge as english heritage will allow visitors to be to stonehenge. I've seen a timeteam special where they went so close to stonehenge that the camera men were within stonehenge
welcome, friend, to the stonehenge of webcomics, where even the english are tolerated

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I know we just had one, but loving hell Swery.

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/904578411514830848
https://twitter.com/tonitonirocca/status/904577969330438144

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Woah, rjinder. :stare:

... Skin monster guy, from monster pulse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Woah, rjinder. :stare:

... Skin monster guy, from monster pulse.

I love Maugras just casually dropping "Yeah, I've dealt with this poo poo before, hang on." It also paints his conversation with Lulenski from earlier in a much more interesting light because they're both aware of Skin-chan's existence and nature, so Maugras really was 100% saying to her "the man's a hosed up emotional cripple", skin monster be damned.

This also gives me hope that this situation can be resolved non-violently, possibly, and perhaps Maugras can talk Rjinder/Skin-chan down off the ledge, because it's implied he's done it before somehow. Now watch Violet gently caress it all up by puppeteering Ray's tooth monster into the room and going all Hulk-Loki on Rjinder.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Swery is a treasure

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Shelley's character ruthlessly dissected by an eight year old:

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20170905

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Pistol_Pete posted:

Said dissection that could easily be stopped by the words, "I'm not planning on keeping your dad".

So what's the end game here? The consequences of Tim's terrible decisions only seem to be affecting those around him. Is this going to conclude with everyone deciding that they don't need him in their lives and cut him off?

Mostly I'm just worried Tim will bring down a disaster on Mildred and her dad. :ohdear:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Pistol_Pete posted:

A few pages back, but when I heard, "framework for self driving cars based on insect swarms", I was initially terrified, but after thinking about it for a moment I'm pretty sure I could make that work.

Am I a mad scientist?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its not any worse than the initial concept of self-driving cars and people are trying to make that work irl for some reason

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pavlov posted:

A few pages back, but when I heard, "framework for self driving cars based on insect swarms", I was initially terrified, but after thinking about it for a moment I'm pretty sure I could make that work.

Am I a mad scientist?

Well, it depends. Is your framework inspired by insect swarming, or are you actually using swarms of live insects as part of the project?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, it depends. Is your framework inspired by insect swarming, or are you actually using swarms of live insects as part of the project?

This IS Tackleford, soooo....

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

And will you include the 'devour all life in your path' part of insect swarm behaviour?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Today's Vattu is pretty great. Bakrah is an even bigger badass than anticipated and there are some surprisingly good faces from Shezek considering how inflexible his face is.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bakrah is apparently some kind of commando there to undermine the empire on behalf of ?????, and now that something's finally started happening in Vattu poo poo's going to get super gnarly super fast

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, Scary-Go-Round has spent some time reminding us why Shelley and Tim are difficult people to be friends with, only to swing right back into the land of Riley Beckwith being really, really awful.

EDIT: Like, serious, Shelley has been selfish and impulsive, but Riley is actively using her kid as a weapon to try and... force Tim to come back to her, I guess? It's such a ill-thought-out plan that it's hard to put it into words.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 5, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

We haven't even seen what the plan might be champ, they've just declared their intention to gently caress 'em up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, Scary-Go-Round has spent some time reminding us why Shelley and Tim are difficult people to be friends with, only to swing right back into the land of Riley Beckwith being really, really awful.

EDIT: Like, serious, Shelley has been selfish and impulsive, but Riley is actively using her kid as a weapon to try and... force Tim to come back to her, I guess? It's such a ill-thought-out plan that it's hard to put it into words.

Riley doesn't really have anything to do with that, Scout decided on her own that Tim and Shelley betrayed her and must be destroyed. I mean, Riley's not exactly going out of her way to be a good role model for the kid but she's not responsible for setting her on this track.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I'm not seeing how any of this is Riley's fault beyond Riley not going out of her way to stop it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like the sense of foreboding in the recent Scarygoround strips. "I sees you, boy. I sees you."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like how Scout punctuates her threat to Shelley by breaking an egg shell.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing how any of this is Riley's fault beyond Riley not going out of her way to stop it.

Riley is the one who articulated the words "destroy Shelley Winters" and has been present for every moment of it we've seen so far.

EDIT: Come to think of it, "Shelley made a baby with Tim so she could keep him" is not something a kid Scout's age would have come up with on her own.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 6, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rand Brittain posted:

Riley is the one who articulated the words "destroy Shelley Winters" and has been present for every moment of it we've seen so far.

EDIT: Come to think of it, "Shelley made a baby with Tim so she could keep him" is not something a kid Scout's age would have come up with on her own.
I dunno, Scout seems to be pretty advanced for her age.. she's legit pissed at Shelly and her dad, and it's not the work of the harridan that is her mother.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Today in Monster Pulse, Lulenski does something REALLY loving stupid.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah she was furious as soon as she found out the baby was Tim's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Today in Monster Pulse, Lulenski does something REALLY loving stupid.

If this is where she bites it, I think I'll be quite content because it means she went out the way she lived: a well-meaning short-sighted fool who thought she totally had this, when in fact she didn't have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

While the decision was entirely on Scout's end, she reacted like she's had all her worst fears confirmed. I don't think Riley is using her as a weapon or something, but I can totally see her filling Scout's head with stories how Shelley is a horrible person who took her dad away. Scout picking up on Riley calling Shelley That Woman was pretty telling, IMO.

• Locked thread