Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I'm never, ever going to school for anything ever again :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Being a student is easy. Teenagers are stupid.

Thanks that's my review of college after a full week of classes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Being a student is easy. Teenagers are stupid.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Also, you're not going to skate through college. Develop good study habits.

(Unless you are super smart or are going for a degree that doesn't really have a massive drive like sciences and poo poo).

I almost bolo'd my Comm101 midterm because I was like "off, I did public affairs for 5 years. I got this poo poo." Only to realize I do not have this poo poo and need to put myself at a double arm interval and police my poo poo up because what the gently caress?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
All I do is pay attention in lecture and take notes in my own words instead of what the prof is saying/writing verbatim. If I really need to reinforce something I re-teach somebody else, it forces me to go back over my notes because I have to translate it into a completely different perspective. I've seen people get a full letter grade higher after letting them in on the little re-teaching secret, poo poo's the only way to fly.

E: And this is for poo poo like A&P, microbiology, not some bullshit fluff filler 101 class that anyone with half a brain could make an easy B in just by taking the exams blind.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Soulex posted:

bolo'd my Comm101 midterm because I was like "off, I did public affairs for 5 years. I got this poo poo." Only to realize I do not have this poo poo and need to put myself at a double arm interval and police my poo poo up because what the gently caress?

This is it. The literal worst paragraph ever written. Bah gawd

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

Also, you're not going to skate through college. Develop good study habits.

(Unless you are super smart or are going for a degree that doesn't really have a massive drive like sciences and poo poo).

I almost bolo'd my Comm101 midterm because I was like "off, I did public affairs for 5 years. I got this poo poo." Only to realize I do not have this poo poo and need to put myself at a double arm interval and police my poo poo up because what the gently caress?

It took me a few semesters to develop a solid study routine. Once I started hitting 300-level courses it stopped being "just show up and give minimal effort for a B." Those first couple of semesters lulled me a bit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My first class at my 4 year was taught by my advisor. She told us she didn't reallu lile showing up at 8am either, so if we worked really hard we'd only have to show up once a week. I never saw it that nice ever again.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

This is it. The literal worst paragraph ever written. Bah gawd

You have not made it through my drunk autocorrect posts. You have a low standard.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

My first class at my 4 year was taught by my advisor. She told us she didn't reallu lile showing up at 8am either, so if we worked really hard we'd only have to show up once a week. I never saw it that nice ever again.

My midterm for a different Comm class was cool. Our teacher said we could go into groups to do the midterm because of teambuilding or whatever. Myself and this other girl are like "the class is one group," so she announced the idea of the class being a singular group, and the teacher said it was cool. We all got 100%

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 5, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Students can now get a Hulu/Spotify bundle for $5/month :getin:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16263938/spotify-hulu-student-deal-announced

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This is my second week at a 4-year school after transferring, and I totally forgot that there is this thing called ROTC. Those poor souls.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Don't feel sorry for them, they volunteered

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah it's adorable listening to them talk about their rotc crap

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Spotify is $4.99 for students by itself so this is a p sweet deal.

I've been getting a $2.50 refund from Spotify every month for some unexplained and unknown reason. I would try to find out but I feel like it's stupid to investigate why someone is issuing an unexplained refund to you (unless it's the government).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I jumped on this poo poo so fast

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Thanks for this, I've never really used Spotify but I'm currently paying $8.50 a month for just Hulu so I guess I'm about to check it out!

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
When I was in college we had this thing called file-sharing, and it was free and everyone did it. Can't believe colleges are making kids pay for music now.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

When I was in college we had this thing called file-sharing, and it was free and everyone did it. Can't believe colleges are making kids pay for music now.

Instead of subverting the Man silicon valley spied much more appealing ground subverting counter-culture

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i get really annoyed when professors require students to go to events outside of classroom time. once in a while is okay, but i have to do three this week, another next week, and then in a few weeks i have to take a 30 minute drive to another one. and all of these fuckers take place at 8pm or later except for the one that is out of town.

if they weren't mandatory and were for extra credit that would be great.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What the gently caress is that poo poo

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i get really annoyed when professors require students to go to events outside of classroom time. once in a while is okay, but i have to do three this week, another next week, and then in a few weeks i have to take a 30 minute drive to another one. and all of these fuckers take place at 8pm or later except for the one that is out of town.

if they weren't mandatory and were for extra credit that would be great.

gently caress that noise, man.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Most of them are on campus. So the 8pm start times aren't bad for the students who can walk three minutes to get there.

One of the ones this week is optional and starts at 6, but it's the only one I give a poo poo about since it's a job fair with the big four accounting firms and other huge global companies.

Everything else is relatively irrelevant to me but are mandatory (and large enough chunks of our grade that I can't miss) and starts late as poo poo.

And thanks for making me feel like I'm not being unreasonable about being annoyed by this.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That's usually when I pull my disability card out and just tell them I can't walk it or Whatever.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I'm taking a class called Stress Management which fulfills a health requirement, and the professor is Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Select topics this semester include shamans, Tai Chi, crystal healing and weed therapy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey, I just got a letter from school and it says that I should join something called Phi Theta Kappa. I go to the website and it sounds like a bunch of huffing your own farts, is there a plus to joining poo poo like this?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

BigDave posted:

I'm taking a class called Stress Management which fulfills a health requirement, and the professor is Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. Select topics this semester include shamans, Tai Chi, crystal healing and weed therapy.

I really wish this was somewhere in my curriculum at some point.

If people want me going to extra curriculars they need to pay me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

not caring here posted:

Hey, I just got a letter from school and it says that I should join something called Phi Theta Kappa. I go to the website and it sounds like a bunch of huffing your own farts, is there a plus to joining poo poo like this?
I doubt it. A couple different honor society things spammed my school email a few different times. I ignored them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

Are you one of the people huffing your own farts while others pay you for the pleasure?

If not, then don't pay the far huffers to watch them huff farts

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would hang out with people who huff their own farts if they help their alumni get places instead of acting like I'm better than them (and therefor huffing my own farts).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay so seeing as how no one has heard of that one will probably give it a miss as I don't want to huff my own farts (protein heavy diet and I might die)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Probably got played like someone on a used car lot but I feel like the job fair I went to tonight went REALLY well. Got an interview with an accounting firm in DC tomorrow.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Finally actually showed up on campus for orientation and am absolutely shocked. Grad school looks like it will be fun instead of the penal (penile) punishment undergrad was.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Probably got played like someone on a used car lot but I feel like the job fair I went to tonight went REALLY well. Got an interview with an accounting firm in DC tomorrow.
Sweet, congrats

lightpole posted:

Finally actually showed up on campus for orientation and am absolutely shocked. Grad school looks like it will be fun instead of the penal (penile) punishment undergrad was.

Yeah Grad school is pretty full of QTs

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Undergrad was under 20% female and noone has told me I will need to wake up at 0300 to stay awake for 4 hours and do nothing at all right before a midterm/final yet so large improvement. That and the facilities are unreal now, no wonder tuition is going up. Also, shorts and skirts are a lot shorter than I remember.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My campus is particularly boxum this year

Although I'm having second thoughts about an EE major, i'm taking cyber security classes for a minor and the difference between the curriculum and effort required is night and day. Infosec is: show up and know the terminology, EE is: convert these laplacian transforms to spherical coordinates then integrate out a fourth order differential equation.

This engineering department has a serious hardon for pure math engineering classes.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

My campus is particularly boxum this year

Although I'm having second thoughts about an EE major, i'm taking cyber security classes for a minor and the difference between the curriculum and effort required is night and day. Infosec is: show up and know the terminology, EE is: convert these laplacian transforms to spherical coordinates then integrate out a fourth order differential equation.

This engineering department has a serious hardon for pure math engineering classes.

You have a quantum-calibrated nyquist engine running at a rate of 30 megafouriers per time-delta. Given a decay rate of 0.5℧ and using the event horizon constant 🍆, find a solution to the forbidden differential equation when the darkwave shift is 30°.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My undergrad had a disproportionate amount of female to male students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
First two weeks of grad school are nearly done. The workload is less than undergrad per the syllabus for each class.

Everyone is cool and happy to be there. The professors are willing to cancel poo poo if the students don't believe the work is helpful or serves as an unnecessary distraction from life.

Grad school is cool.