Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

But what was with that pair of pilots - the Aussie guy and his South African son.

Hey mate, they smacked a kaiju upside the head with a loving boat.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqu4Lgc1ivA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's like they wanted to hire Grant Bowler but decided he was took expensive.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Pwnstar posted:

Australian movies annoy me a lot because there seems to be a rule that they have to be about Australia and really push the fact that they are from Australia and Aussies are cool and top blokes all round etc.

what's that documentary that was filmed in WA about the world ending, a giant poo poo head is on his way to an end of days party except life kicks him in the balls a few times until he's not quite a complete piece of poo poo

that one portrays Australians very positively imho

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
These Final Hours

I thought it was an alright movie.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should fund some indie filmmaker who has a dream of making a movie about a slacker surviving a zombie apolypse but set in... Australia.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I always saw Australian films falling between cheeky funny or cynical, granted I can't think of many Australian movies of the top of my head currently. Also Babadook was a good Australian movie imo.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Plebiscite is invalid

Edit: or maybe I just heard the radio incorrectly

starkebn fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 5, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If anyone hasn't seen it after the recent resurgence in popularity, find a copy of Wake in Fright and watch that. It's the pinnacle of Australian cinema.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

Plebiscite is invalid

Straya you cunts

I didn't think they were ruling today. Or are you talking about the George Robertson take?

e: ah yes. I think they'll do it tomorrow and it will be in writing so maybe even later.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lid posted:

The best Australian game was LA Noire and it turned out that was made by slave labour.

And it was also

overhyped
bad
a tech demo
killed its studio
bad (again)
cutscene simulator
You Are The Detective (press x on all the things)
an actively misleading UI
bad

Pwnstar posted:

Australian movies annoy me a lot because there seems to be a rule that they have to be about Australia and really push the fact that they are from Australia and Aussies are cool and top blokes all round etc.

Australian media has no 'voice'. It's films by Australians about Australia. Typically, an Australian text is about one of the following (and often includes multiples): city folk vs country folk, the beauty of the outback, A Refugee Story, foreigners are invading (somehow, with magic, maybe?), suburban life is Hard.

It's rare to find genuinely good Australian media. Babadook was pretty good, for example. But by far the majority of it feels cheap and janky and like it's trying to emulate whatever is popular without any real imagination. Ever since writing a game, and filling Facebook with my writing, I get targeted ads for Australian creative projects -- movies, TV pilots, books and the like -- and they're almost always garbage that can be summed up as 'popular thing but in Australia'.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, awesome, make a movie ostensibly about an autistic that actually focuses only on his brother and how hard he has it dealing with this, that's great.
He jizzed on the cake! Come on dude. That's awesome!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A CONTROVERSIAL Sydney University lecturer who backed Syria’s murderous al-Assad regime has travelled to Pyongyang and pledged “solidarity” with the North Korean dictatorship against “aggression” from the West.

Amid increasing threats by despot Kim Jong-un, Sydney University international politics lecturer Tim Anderson organised a “learning and solidarity visit” to the regime’s capital.

For fucks sake

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lid posted:

A CONTROVERSIAL Sydney University lecturer who backed Syria’s murderous al-Assad regime has travelled to Pyongyang and pledged “solidarity” with the North Korean dictatorship against “aggression” from the West.

Amid increasing threats by despot Kim Jong-un, Sydney University international politics lecturer Tim Anderson organised a “learning and solidarity visit” to the regime’s capital.

For fucks sake

MLs gonna ML.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Surely they can just cancel his passport or something.
The US is technically at war with NK and that means that we probably are too

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And, really, it's probably just cheaper to make reality TV, and import it from the States, than it is to actually create something.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

It's rare to find genuinely good Australian media. Babadook was pretty good, for example. But by far the majority of it feels cheap and janky and like it's trying to emulate whatever is popular without any real imagination. Ever since writing a game, and filling Facebook with my writing, I get targeted ads for Australian creative projects -- movies, TV pilots, books and the like -- and they're almost always garbage that can be summed up as 'popular thing but in Australia'.

Everyone I know that's a parent found Babadook significantly more frightening because it's mum and dad horror.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I look forward to Turnbull coming out and saying that an academic should be sacked for their political views.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

It's the pinnacle of Australian cinema.

Starstruck :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUW5jF3nVJY&t=138s

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 5, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
babadook was bloody terrible and the only reason for its bizarre positive reception is that years of superhero movies have left audiences so starved for subtlety and symbolism that being repeatedly told "THE CARTOON MONSTER IS SAD MUM RAGE" seems like profound storytelling to them

also lol at the characterisation of the docs people when the kid's like "my dad died!" and they act all shocked and speechless. child protection caseworkers, notoriously sheltered and hypersensitive individuals. then at the end he has a massive bruise from attempted strangulation that they don't even notice and that's meant to be a happy ending somehow

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

the old ceremony posted:

babadook was bloody terrible and the only reason for its bizarre positive reception is that years of superhero movies have left audiences so starved for subtlety and symbolism that being repeatedly told "THE CARTOON MONSTER IS SAD MUM RAGE" seems like profound storytelling to them

Yeah, I thought this too. Also it wasn't scary (except for the scenes with the rad book) and the reused monster sounds just reminded me of other things instead of what they were supposed to do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

And it was also

overhyped
bad
a tech demo
killed its studio
bad (again)
cutscene simulator
You Are The Detective (press x on all the things)
an actively misleading UI
bad

You missed that it's only as good as it is because Rockstar took over the project at the 11th hour and salvaged something releasable out of the mess.

I do actually like it though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The best Australian game is Rome Total War :colbert:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

the old ceremony posted:

also lol at the characterisation of the docs people when the kid's like "my dad died!" and they act all shocked and speechless. child protection caseworkers, notoriously sheltered and hypersensitive individuals. then at the end he has a massive bruise from attempted strangulation that they don't even notice and that's meant to be a happy ending somehow

Also this. I'm never quite sure how objective I am when it comes to Australian media (I've seen Black Balloon, too, and as someone pointed out...) because there's a big part of me that just goes 'Well, it wasn't horrible'.

JBP posted:

Everyone I know that's a parent found Babadook significantly more frightening because it's mum and dad horror.

Well, yeah, it's not really a story about a monster at all. I mean, beyond that monster of a kid, I mean.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Endman posted:

The best Australian game is Rome Total War :colbert:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR DOGS

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ahem

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
52 Tuesdays is the best Australian film.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

For fucks sake

um, free speech? i thought we were mad about the chinese forcing our lecturers to be politically correct, but we're ok if it's about north korea? what happened to all that It's Okay To Say No [to the hypocritical oppression of the DPRK's sovereign right to defend itself by any means necessary]?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Greatest videogame of all time

iajwife is out of town tonight, think I'll be firing up the SNES and HOWZAT HOWZAT HOWZAT HOWZAT HOWZAT

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beam Software's Aussie Rules Footy on NES is the best game ever.

OUT OF BOUNDS

ON THE FULL

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Actually I believe you'll find the correct answer is Jonah Lomu Rugby on PSX

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, I thought this too. Also it wasn't scary (except for the scenes with the rad book) and the reused monster sounds just reminded me of other things instead of what they were supposed to do.

I don't think it was bad but I don't get the hype.

Also, killing the dog seems like something that would have been shocking in a horror movie fifteen years ago but cliche as hell today.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
He Died with a Felafel in His Hand.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Zenithe posted:

He Died with a Felafel in His Hand.

That soundtrack still gets play in my house

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Bad Boy Bubby

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does Grimoire count as an Australian game? (made with 100% neanderthal labour)

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Best Australia Game

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tantalus in Melbourne worked on the Twilight Princess HD port.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My dad used to play the poo poo out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Best Australian game ever made was the 1982 The Hobbit, you'll never see better.

• Locked thread