Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

project brutality is fun, i found a download of a version 3 test build or something idk if its legit? but its cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Project Brutality is nice but after playing Johnny Doom (another Brutal Doom flavor) I found PB too bloated.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iu4GXUHfU0

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In Quake 2 the function that spawns a head gib is also the function that removes the corpse being gibbed from the game. I found this out when I was making a robot monster that gibbed into metal shards. I based it on an existing organic humanoid enemy's code for simplicity so I didn't have to write a lot of new stuff myself. I removed the head spawn function from the set of functions that were called when it got gibbed, because it didn't make sense for a bloody head to be among the wreckage of a robot. In doing so the gibbed corpse never got deleted after being gibbed, so it would then spawn gibs every game tick after. This created such an incredible fountain of metal shards that the game froze in moments.

(It didn't actually freeze per se; specifically, there were so many objects in motion that the netcode's maximum packet size was exceeded each game tick and the client side froze from not receiving any packets. Single player in Quake 2 is actually a special subset of multiplayer with both the client and server running at the same time with a local connection between them so netcode issues can still arise in single player. Even without netcode issues though, it wouldn't take long to run out of free entities which would screw up the game pretty badly by not letting you shoot most weapons, etc.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Already posted a few pages back but is well worth watching it.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Man, my Quake 1 play through was a pretty big downer until I realised the rocket launcher was the new shotgun. Still not quite as good as shotgunning it in Doom/Doom 2, but way better than it was shotgunning in Quake. Game should load up with a warning.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Quake one still has my favorite rocket launcher out of any fps game. The sound was pretty good, combined with that funny glorping sound bodies made on gibbing to make it pretty fun to use.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

*phbrlkrblhrsh glomp*

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Negrostrike posted:

*phbrlkrblhrsh glomp*

I think only zombies (and maybe Ranger?) made this sound when gibbed.

All other enemies went *ghurrghuugha*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the quake RL use the same explosion sound as Doom? Either way, it's my favorite game sound effect ever.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Reznor made those sounds with his mouth.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Reznor made those sounds with his mouth.

Well, he probably used his mouth.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Futuresight posted:

Man, my Quake 1 play through was a pretty big downer until I realised the rocket launcher was the new shotgun. Still not quite as good as shotgunning it in Doom/Doom 2, but way better than it was shotgunning in Quake. Game should load up with a warning.

This is one thing I think is under appreciated in Quake. The shotgun is the pistol, and the rocket launcher is the shotgun. Use rockets and grenades freely and liberally against anyone you want so you can explode as much poo poo as possible.

They knew what they were doing. Also that *ping ping ping* sound when you bounce a grenade is so good.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RyokoTK posted:

This is one thing I think is under appreciated in Quake. The shotgun is the pistol, and the rocket launcher is the shotgun. Use rockets and grenades freely and liberally against anyone you want so you can explode as much poo poo as possible.

They knew what they were doing. Also that *ping ping ping* sound when you bounce a grenade is so good.

The grenade sound is one of those things that will never leave my memory of mid-to-late-90s PC gaming. If grenades in video games still made that distinctive *pwong* like that, it feels like you wouldn't even need an on-HUD direction indicator of where one was when it got shot/thrown at you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The last Call of Duty game I played as the first Modern Warfare but grenades still made the distinct high-pitched ping they did in the very first game and it made them stand out very clearly among the normal din of shooting.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mak0rz posted:

RE4's Separate Ways is way more than just "sort of bolted on bonus material." Are you thinking of Assignment: Ada? Separate ways was added as a bonus campaign in later revisions of the game, yes, but it's still pretty much the full main campaign from her perspective.

Definitely thinking of Ada, never played Separate Ways.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Which is the one where in the final area you can see Leon fighting the end boss of the base campaign in the background?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

The last Call of Duty game I played as the first Modern Warfare but grenades still made the distinct high-pitched ping they did in the very first game and it made them stand out very clearly among the normal din of shooting.

There's that joke about triangles being the best instruments because you can always hear distinctly the sound of a single triangle over the sound of the rest of the orchestra.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angry_Ed posted:

The grenade sound is one of those things that will never leave my memory of mid-to-late-90s PC gaming. If grenades in video games still made that distinctive *pwong* like that, it feels like you wouldn't even need an on-HUD direction indicator of where one was when it got shot/thrown at you.

I was watching Term playing that redo of UTNT the other day and it all the ambient electric crickle crackle noises and it just zoomed me back to sitting in front of my beige dell playing a friend's copy of Quake.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one of the biggest missteps in tf2 is that they didn't add a quake grenade launcher for the demoman

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

Which is the one where in the final area you can see Leon fighting the end boss of the base campaign in the background?

That's Separate Ways.

Assignment: Ada takes place before Leon even arrives in Spain IIRC.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

one of the biggest missteps in tf2 is that they didn't add a quake grenade launcher for the demoman
I recall the very earliest periods of the game's release worked more like Quake's, where, the bomb hitting an enemy after bouncing off a wall or floor would still immediately detonate it, as opposed to what it was very quickly changed to (and remains to this day), where bouncing on the wall forces it to not explode until its fuse expires.

(I mean, I know you meant as a companion to Soldier's "The Original", and I totally agree there, but man, Quake's grenade launcher is so much nicer than current Demoman's.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

E: actually nevermind

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh hey, this is kinda cool. Someone did a sort-of remake of Hollywood Holocaust from Duke 3D. It's called Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked*. It's all done using EDuke and 3D Polymer models. LGR also recorded some lines for Duke.

There's a video walkthrough of it here (it's :nws: in a few parts, though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcq87Ojj4_Y. From watching it, it's pretty impressive what they did with EDuke. It does seem a little reminiscent of DNF, though the mod description states that it's an attempt to try and make the game 'more modern'. Some of the areas seem a little cramped.

*Technically, it should be "Hollywood Holocaust Rethought"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's kind of a monster. It looks really creepy with the "humans" being chill around and that mix of horrible polymer and vanilla textures.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That could really do with some extra animation work. That shotgun animation is particularly rough. But it's cool to see a map like that with a more real world interpretation.

Dunno how you're supposed to reach the secret strip club apt from the street though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Guillermus posted:

That's kind of a monster. It looks really creepy with the "humans" being chill around and that mix of horrible polymer and vanilla textures.

Yeah, I thought that, too. It's weird to have a bunch of people standing around casually while Duke's running around blasting aliens.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The crashing spaceship at the start lacks the sound, speed, and feel of just having bailed out of a bad situation that I thought the original captured.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I think it's kind of odd that not a single Doom/Duke mod has a competent 3D modeler associated with it. Every single "remake" I've seen with 3D models of Doom/Duke characters looks so loving bad it's almost comical.

Still, ignoring that it's a pretty neat idea.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Really good modeler" and "modeler who will work for free" have almost zero overlap.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

haveblue posted:

"Really good modeler" and "modeler who will work for free" have almost zero overlap.

Yeah, maybe. But some Doom mods specifically have custom enemies which is a ton of sprite work... I guess I'm just surprised there isn't a single person who's capable and willing to do it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

In Quake 2 the function that spawns a head gib is also the function that removes the corpse being gibbed from the game. I found this out when I was making a robot monster that gibbed into metal shards. I based it on an existing organic humanoid enemy's code for simplicity so I didn't have to write a lot of new stuff myself. I removed the head spawn function from the set of functions that were called when it got gibbed, because it didn't make sense for a bloody head to be among the wreckage of a robot. In doing so the gibbed corpse never got deleted after being gibbed, so it would then spawn gibs every game tick after. This created such an incredible fountain of metal shards that the game froze in moments.

(It didn't actually freeze per se; specifically, there were so many objects in motion that the netcode's maximum packet size was exceeded each game tick and the client side froze from not receiving any packets. Single player in Quake 2 is actually a special subset of multiplayer with both the client and server running at the same time with a local connection between them so netcode issues can still arise in single player. Even without netcode issues though, it wouldn't take long to run out of free entities which would screw up the game pretty badly by not letting you shoot most weapons, etc.)

20 years later and I learn something new and weird about Quake 2.

This is something that could go on that cool Twitter thread about secret game design tricks from a few days back.

Edit: I don't know how to post Twitter URLs properly so start here I guess https://twitter.com/Gaohmee/status/903510060197744640

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 5, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Max Wilco posted:

Oh hey, this is kinda cool. Someone did a sort-of remake of Hollywood Holocaust from Duke 3D. It's called Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked*. It's all done using EDuke and 3D Polymer models. LGR also recorded some lines for Duke.

There's a video walkthrough of it here (it's :nws: in a few parts, though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcq87Ojj4_Y. From watching it, it's pretty impressive what they did with EDuke. It does seem a little reminiscent of DNF, though the mod description states that it's an attempt to try and make the game 'more modern'. Some of the areas seem a little cramped.

Was... was the fry cook at that corner restaurant jacking off into the food?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

these high res model things always look like trash. for a start just losing the stylisation exposes how misproportioned poo poo is in old games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

You can tell it's Polymer because it keeps dropping down to 19 fps lol

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Just played through dead.wire and dead.air, they were both awesome!

I have to say, everyone being spectres was more annoying than anything though. Everything else was great!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Half-Life Hi-Def Pack that was included with Blue Shift was an early example of how updated models for old FPS games are crap.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

The Half-Life Hi-Def Pack that was included with Blue Shift was an early example of how updated models for old FPS games are crap.

The TFC model updates were good though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So far not a fan of Rethinked so far. Polymer has always looked stupid and even LGRs Duke impression is coming across as pretty weak. Even though it's usually the next best thing to JSJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Honestly I like most of the HL1 model updates. Kinda weird how radically the snark's nest changes but eh.

Anyway, I played through all the Black Mesa Incident era games (except Decay, need to find a partner for that). They hold up pretty well! I think Half-Life is my favorite of them, even if one of the scenes I most distinctly remember from it is actually from Uplink. Blue Shift and Opposing Force are both fun though.

When I then started in on Half-Life 2, despite having played it before, I tried to shoot the first vortigaunt again. That guy's a champ, tanking all the bullets we've thrown at him over the years and never complaining.