Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bottom Liner posted:

2nd edition only changes a few cards and you can buy the cheap upgrade pack to make yours current, so yes it's worth it. Sleeves make the game much better all around. Using penny sleeves makes it very cheap as well.

Any specific penny sleeves you'd recommend for Dominion? Amazon link maybe? It takes me forever to figure out which to get.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

djfooboo posted:

That's a nice collection. He has the flagbearer bags, but I see no flagbearers. Those are worth selling separate if you can find them.

edit: Looking at your friend's collection makes me sad :(. He had good taste and seemed to be a trooper until his last.

I'm pretty sure I saw 4 dudes carrying standards/banners in there.

Is there anyone who could even give me a ballpark estimate at what I should be asking for this entire lot? I'm going to try and sell locally to avoid shipping charges.

Edit: Also, if anyone happens to be familiar with D&D miniatures, I'm also trying to figure out an asking price for this monstrosity of figures:

Big McHuge fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 4, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any specific penny sleeves you'd recommend?

Did my Dominion and Millenium Blades with these from Ultra Pro, no complaints and not a single ripped sleeve in the 1000+ cards. I actually got mine at Walmart for $1 a pack.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Soft-Sleeves-8-Inches/dp/B00CV859XC

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Big McHuge posted:

Is there anyone who could even give me a ballpark estimate at what I should be asking for this entire lot?

You really should let the market decide (eBay) if you want top dollar. If not, I'd say ~$300 if you just want fast money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bottom Liner posted:

Did my Dominion and Millenium Blades with these from Ultra Pro, no complaints and not a single ripped sleeve in the 1000+ cards. I actually got mine at Walmart for $1 a pack.

Thanks!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

djfooboo posted:

You really should let the market decide (eBay) if you want top dollar. If not, I'd say ~$300 if you just want fast money.

That sounds like a good starting point. Maybe we'll just post in the local gaming groups at that price and if no one bites then we'll look into Ebay. We've started to test the Ebay waters already with a never played copy of Arboretum and some oddball Bioshock pins.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

You would also need to do something about rolling dice for politics. You would also be modifying this deck constantly as the state of the board changes and you would through off the numbers if you bolstered your legion in an area where you're not fighting in. I think the only alternative is some kind of limited deck like Kemet or Polis but then you lose the opportunity for amazing last stands where one guy 300s an entire army.

The dice are just too integrated into its design for an alternative. Maybe 2d6 and you move the exploding to 12. But ultimately it is a trashy wargame that encourages you to be bold and I still feel resource management and knowing when to push the momentum are more important. There are certainly Twilight Struggle games I feel like come down to a dice roll but I still enjoy the game in spite of its flaws.

But I will file it away in my "steal this design" cabinet except Japanese Muromachi period with hanafuda cards.
I probably described it badly, but the idea was that each player's deck is a throwaway deck that they build every time they fight, then throw away after the fight. It would also only be used for fighting.
So when it's your 2 legions and a militia against whatever, you just grab 5 hit cards and 4 miss cards, shuffle them together, flip 3 and see how many hits you get, then finally return all cards to the shared pool.

Edit: Or make a small stack for each unit, I don't know.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 4, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

After our discussion here and listening to the heavy cardboard review of Scythe, I'm officially uninterested. What are some really good midweight strategy games where it's not multiplayer solitaire? I could get a ton of heavier games but then never really play em. I have Concordia on order already as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ShaneB posted:

After our discussion here and listening to the heavy cardboard review of Scythe, I'm officially uninterested. What are some really good midweight strategy games where it's not multiplayer solitaire? I could get a ton of heavier games but then never really play em. I have Concordia on order already as well.

Caylus?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ShaneB posted:

Is multiplayer solitaire one of Heavy Cardboard's critiques of Scythe? Because it's got a lot of interaction, more than most Euro's, just not in direct conflict as much as players expect. Also, that's a weird criticism from them considering how much they seemingly like Terraforming Mars, which is very multi-solitaire.

For your question, thread darling Keyflower is one of the best middleweight games and has plenty of "gently caress you" interactions in its bidding system, but it's not super painful because you can still use tiles other player's buy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Kemet if you want actual combat in your eurogame, Keyflower if you just want a high interaction 'peaceful' euro.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bottom Liner posted:

Burn that thing and never look back.

Whaaat? I quite like that thing. How do your organize your dominion then?

I guess I could make a new foam core organizer that will fit the sleeved cards....

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

I probably described it badly, but the idea was that each player's deck is a throwaway deck that they build every time they fight, then throw away after the fight. It would also only be used for fighting.
So when it's your 2 legions and a militia against whatever, you just grab 5 hit cards and 4 miss cards, shuffle them together, flip 3 and see how many hits you get, then finally return all cards to the shared pool.

Edit: Or make a small stack for each unit, I don't know.

I still think the push-your-luck element is necessary to the design given the limitations on what you can accomplish in a single turn. Like after resolving an attack if you have more hits than misses you can keep drawing until misses = hits so you can do anywhere from 0 to 5 in your scenario but it's most likely 2 each time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is that mid weight??

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Is multiplayer solitaire one of Heavy Cardboard's critiques of Scythe? Because it's got a lot of interaction, more than most Euro's, just not in direct conflict as much as players expect. Also, that's a weird criticism from them considering how much they seemingly like Terraforming Mars, which is very multi-solitaire.

I actually recommend listening to the review episode, I thought it was thoughtful.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I guess I could make a new foam core organizer that will fit the sleeved cards....

The problem is using the individual boxes / organizers becomes weak with even a second set, awful when trying to handle 4+ sets, and unusable when trying to carry around 6+ sets.

Most people consolidate their Dominion sets - either putting multiple into each box (removing the inserts and using custom ones, basically just walls + dividers), using a single larger artist's case, using Magic/sportscards white boxes, or using a binder with card pages (my approach).

If I'm going to a games night where we usually play several different games, rather than carrying all of Dominion I will draw a few random kingdoms and just bring those along with Base Cards.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Is that mid weight??
It's on the higher end of mid weight, but yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm currently playing arkham horror for the first time, with 6 players. I'm never playing this again.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you not find these tricky to shuffle or anything with the ~7mm gap on the side? I use the same ones (and can also attest to their quality over around 4,000) for LCG storage where they fit 3 copies and change, but never tried with Dominion due to the different card size.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Played Happy Salmon yesterday and it really captures that intense feel of a busy bazaar/market in a way that millennium blades does not. Does there exist a game with a real-time component of finding people to buy-sell your wares or stocks and then a procedural component afterwards? I'm thinking space Alert but for the stock market.

Chinatown has a phase of real time trading/haggling of properties and business but it was never hectic for my group, but Panic on Wallstreet might fit the bill with the right crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNAkT71PNPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlrKuFI6Is

By the way they're releasing a blue Happy Salmon with different color cards so that you can combine it with the original and have 12 people injuring each other trying to run around or get mistakenly punch in the face.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 4, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I'm currently playing arkham horror for the first time, with 6 players. I'm never playing this again.

No-one should, at this point. Eldritch Horror is strictly better if you want threat management, Mansions of Madness 2E is strictly better if you want a horror plot.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm not clear on what Theme means in your example; I'd describe theme as... if it were an essay I'd say it's the Thesis Statement, ie what it's about. Feast for Odin is about viking clan governance and development but also (and mostly) it's about balanced and sustainable growth & the mechanics certainly do follow.

I guess my beef with the theme here is I don't see how the Tetris mechanic is informed by the theme - but you are right the action selection is very thematic and you can use the theme to successfully inform your game strategy. That is probably the key criteria for successful intergerafion of mechanics and theme so I guess AFFO is well designed in that respect.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

CommonShore posted:

I use a Case It 4-inch binder with trading card pages. Because the online implementation is solid these days, I haven't bought all the expansions, but theoretically they could all fit in a single binder. This is easily the most portable solution. I don't sleeve anything, though, because replacements are so cheap and again, I play online more than offline.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I'm kinda tempted: http://www.pretzelgames.com/en/flick-em-up/23-flick-em-up-suitcase-giant.html

I hope it's large enough to really injure your fingers when you flick them.

Quixotic1 posted:

Chinatown has a phase of real time trading/haggling of properties and business but it was never hectic for my group, but Panic on Wallstreet might fit the bill with the right crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNAkT71PNPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNlrKuFI6Is

By the way they're releasing a blue Happy Salmon with different color cards so that you can combine it with the original and have 12 people injuring each other trying to run around or get mistakenly punch in the face.

That looks amazing. Thanks for the heads up!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I picked up the Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game at Gen Con this year, because my wife is fan of the show. We finally played it tonight and it's...fine I guess? It's essentially Eldritch Horror, but with Buffy characters. The rule book isn't laid out very well which makes first time play through confusing. There really isn't much of a reason to play it unless you really really like the setting. It's maybe a little more accessible to non-gaming people. but Pandemic is a better co-op, and pretty much any of the FFG Cthulhu games do the same thing this does but better.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Funzo posted:

I picked up the Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game at Gen Con this year, because my wife is fan of the show. We finally played it tonight and it's...fine I guess? It's essentially Eldritch Horror, but with Buffy characters. The rule book isn't laid out very well which makes first time play through confusing. There really isn't much of a reason to play it unless you really really like the setting. It's maybe a little more accessible to non-gaming people. but Pandemic is a better co-op, and pretty much any of the FFG Cthulhu games do the same thing this does but better.

Licensed games are almost always poo poo.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I guess my beef with the theme here is I don't see how the Tetris mechanic is informed by the theme - but you are right the action selection is very thematic and you can use the theme to successfully inform your game strategy. That is probably the key criteria for successful intergerafion of mechanics and theme so I guess AFFO is well designed in that respect.

Well, the Tetris thing is really color and placement rules for the results of what you have spent your actions doing (tiles). Too many of X and not enough Y leads to inefficient placement of tiles, and therefore lower score. Longhouses hold craft goods and food items well, treasures are best used in the big main board, etc. Generally speaking of you haven't bitten off more than you can chew and your growth is both balanced and sustainable, tile placement will reflect that.

That was more aimed at anyone reading who isn't familiar, I can understand the idea that Tetris tile placement as a mechanic fits Patchwork (where you are literally building a quilt) better than AFfO (where it is used to essentially convert a scoring spreadsheet into a spatial puzzle.)

Speaking of theme I like CGE's approach in their catalog. For example:

Dungeon Lords theme: building a dungeon.
Mechanics: worker placement, predicting opponents' moves, combat puzzle solving, planning ahead.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I bought a dragon shield four compartment divider for dominion. I printed labeled dividers. It fits sleeved cards, if that's your thing. The base set fits in one, expansions fit in half of one. So base and two expansions fit in two of em.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

So I'm kinda tempted: http://www.pretzelgames.com/en/flick-em-up/23-flick-em-up-suitcase-giant.html

I hope it's large enough to really injure your fingers when you flick them.

That looks like the demo model they use at trade fairs and conventions, but in a pretty box.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lord Frisk posted:

I bought a dragon shield four compartment divider for dominion. I printed labeled dividers. It fits sleeved cards, if that's your thing. The base set fits in one, expansions fit in half of one. So base and two expansions fit in two of em.

Is this the same as this box? It's hard to tell with the image on that page.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Jedit posted:

That looks like the demo model they use at trade fairs and conventions, but in a pretty box.

After seeing a video of the larger version, and then playing the normal one, I commented to my friends that I liked it alright, but I probably wouldn't buy it unless I could get the large version. Now I'm faced with a dilemma.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean it is the units that they use in demos at conventions but they also said they were going to start making them for purchase because they got enough interest from fans.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Tales of Woe posted:

Kemet if you want actual combat in your eurogame, Keyflower if you just want a high interaction 'peaceful' euro.

It's funny because while this is totally accurate, I also think Keyflower is way nastier and more likely to lead to murderous thoughts about other players in my experience. There is pretty much no way to play Kemet without getting in other players grilles (well, maybe one way) so all the slaughter and mayhem feels collegiate and "fair enough" (this is Kemet's big achievement, IMO, it so unabashedly requires aggression it takes the sting out of it).

Keyflower, on the other hand, LOOKS all nice and euro-friendly with cute villages and meeples and building but turns out to be all cut-throat auctions, blocking and resource grabbing and leads to tons of swearing. Worse than Caylus by far IMO (and better).

EBag
May 18, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Aside from Keyflower, you want Hansa Teutonica. Cubes have never been so much fun

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I really like Samurai but also Tigris and Euphrates seems high in conflict and there was also a big conversation here about how it's both highly interactive and also frustratingly obtuse depending on your expectations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I had a nice gaming day for a friend's birthday party last week, and played a couple games today for Labor Day. Altogether, I got to try:

Mint Works - Alright, the form factor is what puts it over the top. If it were bigger, it would just be a middling filler/gateway. With the compactness, and the ultra-portability? It's nifty. Go anywhere, play anywhere. I can't say I would ever love it if I owned it, but I would probably have it in a bag at all times. Seriously considering going for the KS of the new one and getting both.

For Sale - The comparison that comes to mind is an even lighter, even quicker Biblios. Auction game that has two distinct stages, one using the resources gained in the other. I probably wouldn't bring Biblios to play with family at Christmas, but this would work great. Might pick up the travel edition some time.

Samurai and Ra - I'm putting them together because I feel about the same way. Both of them have a good mixture of trying to calculate the odds while trying to figure out what your opponents need to do, and how you can stop them. Great balance of open and hidden information, too. Samurai is probably the simpler one, but I like the spatial aspect of an abstract area control game, and the special tiles everyone gets really let you alter the board state in interesting ways. Ra felt like there were more ways to play it, and more things to consider, especially with when to call an auction. None of us had played it before, and we reached the last space in the auction rack a few times. Two really cool games that made my brain buzz.

Commissioned - I think it's good? Played it three player, the owner taught it to us two first-timers, and he was poo poo at explaining basically everything. I think we were playing it right by about halfway through, probably, and we won the easy setting on the final turn.The deckbuilding aspect worked pretty well, though it almost felt too easy to trash cards. Didn't feel that thematic. Buying miracles and sometimes they happen? Sacriliege!

Bears vs. Babies - *Jerkoff Motion. Jerkoff motion for a thousand years.* I don't need this poo poo.

The Fox in the Forest - I was curious about a two player trick-taking game, and this one is super neat. 3 suits, 1-11, with special powers on all the odd cards. For instance, playing a one lets you lead after the current trick. Trump is decided by a small deck of the cards that didn't get dealt, though there are card powers that affect that deck. Scoring is what makes the game. Basically the amount of tricks it's possible to win are divided into brackets. The lowest bracket and the second-highest bracket both score big, while the highest bracket score zero and the middling numbers award small amounts of points. So, you want to either take a lot(but not TOO MANY) or very few. Play till one player has either 16 or 21 points, depending on how long you want to be there. Definitely one to play again.

Jaipur - loving A that's a good one. It feels like a Lost Cities where I get more control(I have played like three games of Lost Cities. I like it, but the last time I played I got zero contract cards in my starting hands, and my opponent had at least three each time. Luck that bad is hard to mitigate. Still gonna play it again) The different ways of affecting the market give you a lot to think about, and the balance between big scores and quick cash is great. Flooding the Market with camels when you know the other guy doesn't have anything to sell, so he has to take all of them, and getting a whole new market of shiny new goods? That's a good feeling.

So, a question that came to me while playing Commissioned:Are there any games where the deckbuilding mechanic actually conveys theme? Like, drafting feels pretty abstract to me unless it's tied to a theme involving opportunity cost. Sushi Go Party! is a perfect theme for a drafting game, because you can easily imagine yourself sitting in a restaurant, watching food go by on a conveyor, and saying, "yeah, I'll have one of those, two of those, are there any more of these? You ate them? Dick!" Dominion and Valley of the Kings get praised for tight mechanics, but Dominion is famously dry, and the only thematic aspect of VotK is the entombing. What theme would the randomized recycling and fine-tuning of deckbuilding work for?

Also: For Sale and Biblios got me thinking about games that happen in stages. I like a good feeling of progression in my games. Engine-builder games have a nice arc, by nature. Jaipur had a great progression to it as the initial sale prices become unavailable, and then the game gets close to ending so you're trying to make any deal you can. Biblios achieves it in a different way, because the game is first a draft session to collect resources, then an auction using those resources as currency. I like Biblios more than I think I would if it were a draft phase and an auction phase every turn. Are there any other games like that? Where play progresses in delineated stages, with a different aim in each one?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

El Fideo posted:

So, a question that came to me while playing Commissioned:Are there any games where the deckbuilding mechanic actually conveys theme? Like, drafting feels pretty abstract to me unless it's tied to a theme involving opportunity cost. Sushi Go Party! is a perfect theme for a drafting game, because you can easily imagine yourself sitting in a restaurant, watching food go by on a conveyor, and saying, "yeah, I'll have one of those, two of those, are there any more of these? You ate them? Dick!" Dominion and Valley of the Kings get praised for tight mechanics, but Dominion is famously dry, and the only thematic aspect of VotK is the entombing. What theme would the randomized recycling and fine-tuning of deckbuilding work for?

A Few Acres of Snow. Essentially your deck clogging up represents the confusion of war and bureaucracy interfering with your efforts.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Big McHuge posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw 4 dudes carrying standards/banners in there.

Is there anyone who could even give me a ballpark estimate at what I should be asking for this entire lot? I'm going to try and sell locally to avoid shipping charges.

I think eBay is probably the best way to go to make the most money for the family, but you could try posting on the forums at Heroscapers.com and asking if anyone would be willing to give a ballpark estimate for a starting price for that lot. If you definitely don't want to have to ship, that might also be the best place to find a local buyer.

Tangentially, for anyone feeling nostalgic for or curious about, HeroScape, there's a pretty good Tabletop Simulator mod for it, and people have uploaded tons of different maps to the Steam workshop. It's a pretty unapologetic post-decision-randomness dice-chucking tactical skirmish game, but it's got a lot of heart, and the rules are pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

For Sale is one of the best fillers there is, tbh.