Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Well that's depressing.

It seems that skeptics need to get more political if they want to stay relevant and have a say where on things that are actually being decided right now. I listen to a bunch of skeptic podcasts still, and they do for the most part stick to those old subjects, and I guess that it's important since there always seems to be either a new face trying to convince people of bullshit, or the old ones never really went away.

There's one "skeptic" podcast I know of that is explicitly political, Cognitive Dissonance, they're also by far more comfortable discussing LGBTQ and other social issues than any of the old guard of podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Measly Twerp posted:

Well that's depressing.

It seems that skeptics need to get more political if they want to stay relevant and have a say where on things that are actually being decided right now. I listen to a bunch of skeptic podcasts still, and they do for the most part stick to those old subjects, and I guess that it's important since there always seems to be either a new face trying to convince people of bullshit, or the old ones never really went away.

There's one "skeptic" podcast I know of that is explicitly political, Cognitive Dissonance, they're also by far more comfortable discussing LGBTQ and other social issues than any of the old guard of podcasts.

I ended up deleting my CD subscription. They're funny, but also pretty limited in their knowledge and scope outside of off-the-cuff skeptical issues. When they're not making fun of easy-target nutjobs by elaborating on what they found on Right-Wing Watch, they're making pretty bog standard neo-liberal talking points. They're also far behind on issues of race, trans issues, and poverty.

I stopped after they brought on Ishmael Brown and they just kept making crude jokes about black guys the entire time. Usually Ish let's it slide but you can tell he was getting annoyed since the topic (BLM I believe) is important to him. It's a trend I saw getting worse and worse on the show since Ish's first guest appearance, and it's something that doesn't happen at all with their white guests. In fact, almost every time they have a black guest they make jokes about black people, and when confronted about it they revert immediately to "people on the left are too quick to call someone a racist".

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Verisimilidude posted:

I ended up deleting my CD subscription. They're funny, but also pretty limited in their knowledge and scope outside of off-the-cuff skeptical issues. When they're not making fun of easy-target nutjobs by elaborating on what they found on Right-Wing Watch, they're making pretty bog standard neo-liberal talking points. They're also far behind on issues of race, trans issues, and poverty.

I stopped after they brought on Ishmael Brown and they just kept making crude jokes about black guys the entire time. Usually Ish let's it slide but you can tell he was getting annoyed since the topic (BLM I believe) is important to him. It's a trend I saw getting worse and worse on the show since Ish's first guest appearance, and it's something that doesn't happen at all with their white guests. In fact, almost every time they have a black guest they make jokes about black people, and when confronted about it they revert immediately to "people on the left are too quick to call someone a racist".

Ah but don't you know, being ironically racist means you're not actually racist unless you're on the right!

Sigh. That's a valid criticism of the show for sure.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

boner confessor posted:

skepticism isn't as necessary nowadays since the left have mostly won the culture wars.

When the hell did that happen?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I only have a vague understanding of what Drunken Peasants is. Is there some sort of controversy going on there right now? They seem to have locked a bunch of poo poo down recently.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Apparently a bunch of them are creeps (interest in underage girls on top of the usual being gross to anyone female) and there's a bunch of backstabbing within the "community" as well as lots of harassment of anyone accusing any of them of being creeps. You know, rational skeptic behavior.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Isn't the Amazo Mr. Atheist one of them? If so not surprised it's a den of iniquity.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Measly Twerp posted:

It seems that skeptics need to get more political if they want to stay relevant and have a say where on things that are actually being decided right now.

Replace "skeptics" with "everybody".

Casimir Radon posted:

I only have a vague understanding of what Drunken Peasants is. Is there some sort of controversy going on there right now? They seem to have locked a bunch of poo poo down recently.

Are Sargon of Akaad and The Amazing Aethiest/TJ part of that group/have been regularly on their shows? That should be all you need to know.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Did we talk about the PewTube drama a week or so ago?

If not, alt-right types set up a 'censorship free' alternative to Youtube. Then the national anthem of the USSR became the most popular video on the site and they purged everything and locked it down while they 'looked at security'.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/904705156574568451

https://twitter.com/Thejaervinen/status/904937588850614273

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Praseodymi posted:

If not, alt-right types set up a 'censorship free' alternative to Youtube. Then the national anthem of the USSR became the most popular video on the site and they purged everything and locked it down while they 'looked at security'.
Just looked that up, lol

https://twitter.com/ticki_/status/903272442839355392

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I legitimately thought "pewtube" was pewdiepie's youtube channel.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jippa posted:

I legitimately thought "pewtube" was pewdiepie's youtube channel.

Apparently they named it after him in the hopes of enticing him over. Just when you think they couldn't get more pathetic than they already are, they outdo themselves again.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

boner confessor posted:

you mean, a group of folks who are widely mocked and who have zero traction in loosening vaccination laws?

remember, there was a time within recent history when being homosexual was classified as a mental illness and this was widely accepted in society. skepticism needs to be about more than mocking a handful of creationists and crystal healers

Agreed. Although anti-vaxx people might not be changing law yet, they still put their own (and others) kids at risk. One piece of misinformation created a movement that is hard to get rid off. Skepticism should almost be its own subject to be taught in school.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

business hammocks posted:

It was when women who participated in skeptic events and groups began expressing discomfort with how the gross internet men in the movement treated them. Specifically, it was Rebecca Watson making a video telling shut-in nerds not to proposition women when they're cornered alone in elevators, which pretty much initiated the trend of endless internet harassment as a mode for chuds to express their hatred of women.

I actually included a line about this then deleted it. I think the thing with Watson being propositioned in a lift was significant but I don't really see how it changed things other than being an isolated ugly look behind the curtain at the giant goony manbabies and their hate-fear of women. It felt like things didn't get properly weird until the focus of scepticism became inherently political and focused on things like women's rights, gender and racial equality etc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midig posted:

Agreed. Although anti-vaxx people might not be changing law yet, they still put their own (and others) kids at risk. One piece of misinformation created a movement that is hard to get rid off. Skepticism should almost be its own subject to be taught in school.

Anti-vaxx isn't making law now, but the horrible thing about poo poo like that is none of it ever goes away. We'll be dealing with it as a belief that drives some behavior and policy forever, just like creationism.

I'd argue that scientific racism, "girl brain/boy brain" biotruth nonsense, and "only two" transphobia are the important new frontiers for a reinvigorated skeptical movement: maybe use the social sciences along with a take on sex difference more sophisticated than high-school biology to teach "the rationals" how to think clearly about the issues that pepe culture is congealing around.

At least, that could happen if the dying skeptical movement weren't built out of proto-pepes. Carl Sagan never should have died.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The worst part is all these self-labelled skeptics aren't actually skeptics, they're just using it as a way to feign moderation. They're not skeptical of anything, they've already made up their mind.

I really hate how they've poisoned it for the rest of us

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

El Pollo Blanco posted:

New atheists have always been massive social regressives. Hitchens, Dawkins, and Harris are the progenitors of this movement, after all.

Yeah, they don't disagree with conservative religious social values, they just want to drop the supernatural being part.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

winegums posted:

I actually included a line about this then deleted it. I think the thing with Watson being propositioned in a lift was significant but I don't really see how it changed things other than being an isolated ugly look behind the curtain at the giant goony manbabies and their hate-fear of women. It felt like things didn't get properly weird until the focus of scepticism became inherently political and focused on things like women's rights, gender and racial equality etc.

That was the moment when the chuds had to consider whether or not they were willing to see women as full members of the club, and the moment when women began to have to think about whether or not they were welcome or safe in the club. It turns out they weren't and they weren't, respectively. It was also the birth of organized long-term internet harassment as a hobby and political cause for chuds. I feel like the Rebecca Watson thing was like the Spanish Civil War of gamergate's Second World War, or whatever we're in now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the Spanish Civil War of gamergate's Second World War, or whatever we're in now.
All you need to know is that this exists.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
god drat the NoBS guy is so loving stupid and ignorant it's absolutely unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VmmJ9iz8I

my blood would be boiling

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lovechop posted:

good god that was painful

he also admitted that he was lying about essentially most of the poo poo that he said before and thinks this makes him look GOOD

definitely the worst "debate" I've seen

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Apparently a bunch of them are creeps (interest in underage girls on top of the usual being gross to anyone female) and there's a bunch of backstabbing within the "community" as well as lots of harassment of anyone accusing any of them of being creeps. You know, rational skeptic behavior.

I wonder how rife child predation is among the skeptic community. Instances of inappropriate behaviour seem to come up a lot, presumably because the misogynist crowd is unable/unwilling to have relationships with independent adult women. I was heavily into the atheist skeptic community as a young teen and I ran into a lot of paedophiles.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Lovechop posted:

Fair props to Destiny for not losing his poo poo or being dragged off topic. This NoBS guy is really really loving dumb. He's so loving dense he doesn't even realise when he's being dense. He's literally screaming "YOU'RE DUMB AND poo poo AND A LOSER AND YOUR SHOW IS LAME REEEEEE" in lieu of a discussion.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Lovechop posted:

Reactionary movements are always about sex. The same topics cycle like seasons.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

winegums posted:

skepticism was always political, it just didn't appear to be so until some skeptics started questioning the white male hegemony at the base of it (which is at the base of all things in our society) and it turns out the skeptics couldn't be skeptical about it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Measly Twerp posted:

Ah but don't you know, being ironically racist means you're not actually racist unless you're on the right!

Sigh. That's a valid criticism of the show for sure.

Honestly I think CD and The Scathing Atheist were part of my realization that I am a hardcore leftist. A friend introduced me to both of them back when I was still identifying as a liberal, and I enjoyed the bits where they'd make fun of conservative Christians and crazy religious zealots, but then I'd cringe once they'd start talking about actual political policy. I started internalizing this struggle where I realized I had been nodding along with people I don't actually agree with, because that was the side I had chosen to identify as. I found I would enjoy 60% of the political media I was consuming, but that last 40% was something I had to either ignore or come to terms with, because I could not rectify their lack of insight. It's not to say I identify with everything leftist ancoms have to say, but the division is far less severe than 60/40.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lovechop posted:

This is my favorite comedy video of the week.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Praseodymi posted:

One of the other top videos was Dead Kennedy's Nazi Punks gently caress Off

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

One of the other top videos was Dead Kennedy's Nazi Punks gently caress Off

Gee did Pewtube consult the record label first, we don't want to have them breaking copyright :nyoron:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

My god, Tom Watson was right, there are trot infiltrators waiting everywhere to take over things.

I have never been so happy.

E: Also gently caress you hbomb for introducing me to that horrible posh nazi brit girl in your video I don't think I have ever encountered anyone who inspires such immediate and absolute loathing in me.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 5, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

Gee did Pewtube consult the record label first, we don't want to have them breaking copyright :nyoron:

I'm gonna take a wild guess without looking and say that track was on something released by Alternative Tentacles which is Biafras own label and that dude would think it's hilarious

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

My god, Tom Watson was right, there are trot infiltrators waiting everywhere to take over things.

I have never been so happy.

E: Also gently caress you hbomb for introducing me to that horrible posh nazi brit girl in your video I don't think I have ever encountered anyone who inspires such immediate and absolute loathing in me.

I've never heard an accent quite like hers. It almost sounded like it was moving into a german or afrikaner when she got excited.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I've never heard an accent quite like hers. It almost sounded like it was moving into a german or afrikaner when she got excited.

I thought I knew what to expect from a hot girl saying hosed up poo poo to get money out of Nazis

Hooooooooo boy

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Is she defs British? I got an Afrikaans/Aussie vibe but it sort of moves around a lot. I am not looking up her videos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

I got an Afrikaans/Aussie vibe
I also thought she sounded like a racist. :downsrim:

She definitely sounds South-Eastern English to me tho.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
She had elocution lessons.

My Fair Nazi.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what turboposh british sounds like. Or at least that's what someone trying to sound like turboposh british sounds like, as I don't think she's entirely comfortable with it.

Terry Pratchett described it as "modulated yawning" and he wasn't wrong.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 5, 2017

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Lovechop posted:

holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Glad I wasn't the only one that couldn't tell if that Nazi chick was British or not.

• Locked thread