Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

maybe David Lynch really likes Dipset

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vikar Jerome posted:

if i remember right, secret history says ben cancelled it because he felt guilt over what happened to audrey. audrey mentions ghostwood this season but she's talking about the forest of ghostwood.

could have been interesting if they built a bunch of houses there and your bathroom shower curtain is right on top of glastonbury grove.

Yeah, doesn't Secret History have the note she left him before going to the bank? That combined with the explosion and I'd bet he gave up entirely.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrVenkman posted:

My only real complaint is the Audrey stuff. If it was never going to be addressed again I think it might've been better to leave things as a weird, poorly acted melodrama.
It seems like such a clear parallel to Cooper's ending that I feel it's very much addressed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Chev posted:

It seems like such a clear parallel to Cooper's ending that I feel it's very much addressed.

Where are the parallels? Be more specific, please.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/904803149025873925

Click for a fun thread.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
The episode was good. The way I see it, whether we like it or not, our experience of TP is defined by the S2 ending and FWWM. To then completely attempt to dispel the 25-year long frustration with a tied-up narrative consigns it to a finality that it never had. Think about it this way, how can you sell TP on the next generation if they are incapable of feeling the same frustration because all they'll ever know is a finished product? Episode 18 is the only way this could have ever gone I guess.

It's strange though, the feeling I had before turning on the episode was that I would finally be able to fill this gap that TP originally left me with, now I feel better believing that the gap IS TP.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I sat down and properly watched Twin Peaks for the first time in my life starting roughly in May, getting through the end of season 2/Fire Walk With Me just in time for I think episode 4 or 5 of season 3, and watched along weekly. I never had to wait (more than a week) for more Twin Peaks before, it was just always something there and available for me.

How did you people survive for 25 years? There's nothing new next week and might never be again.... :aaa:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should actually read through Secret History now. I got pretty bored by the early sections and never got too far.

Also new Peaked is out for those who asked about it/care :shobon:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Jerusalem posted:

So I sat down and properly watching Twin Peaks for the first time in my life starting roughly in May, getting through the end of season 2/Fire Walk With Me just in time for I think episode 4 or 5 of season 3, and watched along weekly. I never had to wait (more than a week) for more Twin Peaks before, it was just always something there and available for me.

How did you people survive for 25 years? There's nothing new next week and might never be again.... :aaa:

I'm the same (I caught up at episode 8, which was a brilliant capper to my marathon) and now I want something equally beautiful and strange to fill the hole.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

So I sat down and properly watching Twin Peaks for the first time in my life starting roughly in May, getting through the end of season 2/Fire Walk With Me just in time for I think episode 4 or 5 of season 3, and watched along weekly. I never had to wait (more than a week) for more Twin Peaks before, it was just always something there and available for me.

The trick is to fill that Coop-shaped hole in your heart with Twin Peaks inspired content such as
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Sword & Sworcery
  • Majora's Mask
  • The Blair Witch Project Games

or even similarly weird things such as
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Lars von Trier's The Kingdom
  • Fargo
  • X-Files
  • American Gods

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess I should actually read through Secret History now. I got pretty bored by the early sections and never got too far.

Also new Peaked is out for those who asked about it/care :shobon:

Dude, you two have an excellent dynamic and should do more TV stuff. How about Lars von Trier's The Kingdom? :getin:

And More fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 5, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And More posted:

The trick is to fill that Coop-shaped hole in your heart with Twin Peaks inspired content such as
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Fargo
  • X-Files
  • American Gods

Watched all of these shows and loved them, but I tried to play Deadly Premonition and after getting to the bridge(? The bit where 2-3 other characters are waiting to meet you at the town limits?) the game crashed and refused to ever load again from that point on :smith:

Maybe Lynch will make another 18 hour movie soon... :shobon:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

So I sat down and properly watched Twin Peaks for the first time in my life starting roughly in May, getting through the end of season 2/Fire Walk With Me just in time for I think episode 4 or 5 of season 3, and watched along weekly. I never had to wait (more than a week) for more Twin Peaks before, it was just always something there and available for me.

Haha, this is funny.

The whole experience of there being NEW Twin Peaks to watch is so novel and bizarre, still, to be honest. For my whole life it was always this one finite thing that was never going to be revisited, and that is just *how it was*.

I think we'll get a Season 4 after it wins a few big Emmy's and Showtime's subscriber base continues to grow through word of mouth about how good this show is. I doubt we'll see it for a few years, but the most important thing I keep hearing from all the interviews is how much *fun* everyone had making this season. You could almost tell when it was like friends hanging out for all the actors, because there's a playful upbeat positivity through SO much of this season.

I mean, I know for a fact there are Twin Peaks loving adults in my life who simply didn't get around to it this summer or couldn't be bothered to figure out how to get Showtime yet and so on. I figure some of these people *will* wind up wanting to watch it, especially since the small and inadequate GOT season probably is leaving a bit of a gap for people.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Watched all of these shows and loved them, but I tried to play Deadly Premonition and after getting to the bridge the game crashed and refused to ever load again from that point on :smith:

You could write a fanfic LP for Twin Peaks in the voice of Cooper's letter's to Diane! I mean Deadly Premonition. Or you could just pretend Twin Peaks is a game and write fanfic.

(lol had to sorry)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kaworu posted:

You could write a fanfic LP for Deadly Premonition in the voice of, basically, Cooper though!

Dougie Jones. Each new entry is just quietly repeating the last words of the previous post.

OP is, of course, just "HELLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

And More posted:

• Deadly Premonition
  • Sword & Sworcery
  • Majora's Mask
  • The Blair Witch Project Games

or even similarly weird things such as
  • Paranoia Agent
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • Lars von Trier's The Kingdom
  • Fargo
  • X-Files
  • American Gods

Almost every artist, designer and writer I follow on twitter and elsewhere went absolutely wild over The Return, I hope we will get a lot of TP-inspired stuff in the future, especially when Japan gets hit by Dougiestorm properly.

Atlanta and whatever Tim and Eric make (new Bedtime Stories this week!) will be fine, but some subpar surreal shows like Legion would need to up their game hard or go the gently caress away.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think it's bizarre that some people are saying nothing of the original timeline exists or matters anymore when we don't know the rules of whatever alien nuttiness is going on, and when we're directly told that Cole will remember the "unofficial version" and the whole Sarah calling Laura's name/Carrie screaming thing.

Also Deadly Premonition is still the worst.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/904771695684222977
https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/904772412272771072
https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/904772727659270144

https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/904781314561384450
https://twitter.com/therealelp/status/904797812650639360

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
just chiming in to say that i have nothing but contempt for the human-adjacent doodoo brained fuckers who think the Audrey scenes are poorly acted.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Watched all of these shows and loved them, but I tried to play Deadly Premonition and after getting to the bridge(? The bit where 2-3 other characters are waiting to meet you at the town limits?) the game crashed and refused to ever load again from that point on :smith:

Try SGF's LP. It's really good. Also, the PC version is a trash fire. PS3 version is still janky, but playable.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Also Deadly Premonition is still the worst.

At least Swery manages to wrap up DP. There is not a plot thread left dangling when that game is done.

And More fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 5, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HAHAHA El-P is the loving best

And More posted:

Dude, you two have an excellent dynamic and should do more TV stuff. How about Lars von Trier's The Kingdom? :getin:

I've never seen that despite loving LVT so it's a pretty good idea! We were talking about doing another recap show (although Bing wants to do something current/popular cause he's all about MARKETING and poo poo) or something akin to that old TVIV thread where we watch a random suggested episode of a show we've never seen and review it/try and guess what the show is about and what would happen next

also yeah I got DP for PC for £2 in the last big Steam sale and gently caress IT'S AWFUL (the port at least)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Origami Dali posted:

Don't worry guys, the reason Coop was acting weird after he came out of the lodge at Glastonberry Grove and rode the lightning to Odessa is because he's the tulpa. Real Coop sent the tulpa back to save Laura while he went back home to Vegas to bang Janey-E into his twilight years.

I'm okay with this, kind of. I know it's not true, but it can be, just for a little bit.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Welp, I saw it last night. I have to admit Im still finding words for it, still trying to parse it. I cant even say if I liked it or not, frankly. But I cant stop thinking about it, so I can say it was very impressive, one way or the other

Right now all I can say is that 17 is the finale everybody expected and wanted (kinda of: I dont think anybody expected Lucy to kill Bad Cooper and then everyone3 just watching while glove boy fulfills his destiny by punching Bob in a black flying orb), and then 18 was... something else

In any case, what a ride it was, the finale and the whole thing. Bravo, mr Lynch

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, explain this one to me. I'm not saying you can't think that, but like...in a world where it's been shown over and over again that multiple realities exist and where it's been shown that a new version of the pilot episode exists in which the pivotal plot points of the original no longer happen, how do things just go about like normal in that world? What even is "normal" in that world?

Just because Pete goes fishing doesn't negate everything that happened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think this was mentioned already, but Laura still disappeared, even if she wasn't killed.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Josie's humming still sucks and she looks weird and I hope she still gets door knobbed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Every time Sarah Palmer is on screen in any Twin Peaks stuff I feel such dread. That actress is loving amazing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/905056522056683521

moist turtleneck posted:

Josie's humming still sucks and she looks weird and I hope she still gets door knobbed
Dril posts from the room above the gas station

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, this might seem really obvious to some people, but.... When Laura just *pfft* vanished into thin air while Cooper was attempting to lead her to the White Lodge? I feel.... Pretty sure that this is Judy somehow plucking Laura up and placing her somewhere else in the 'multiverse'. The only reason why Cooper even has a chance, bumbling his way through this, is by the clues The Fireman gave him, of course.

And I feel like I really and truly UNDERSTAND what The Fireman was telling Dale at the WAYYYYY beginning of the season, when he tells him to listen to the sounds - and the sound effect he indicates is never truly heard until Laura is plucked out of Twin Peaks_alpha and sent off to Odessa_beta.

I don't believe it was Dale misguidedly cheating Laura out of her redemption (at least not entirely). I think that Dale sincerely knew what he was doing, and actually felt that he was actually doing what he was accomplishing.

TWO BIRDS, ONE STONE

In retrospect, that may be the most telling clue that Lynch/Cole ever gave us. Cooper wanted to "kill two birds with one stone." Now, what I believe Dale thought he had figured out, was that by saving Laura Palmer from being murdered, it would not only somehow destroy Judy, but also save Laura and perhaps break Twin Peaks out of its cycle of pain and suffering; right the wrongs that happened over the last 25 years. Give everyone a fresh chance to return back to "starting positions", which we all know is really much more comfortable. Two birds (Laura and Judy), one stone (the prevention of the murder of one girl).

But as we all know, it does not work. My belief is that Judy really did pluck Laura right out of Cooper's hand, and sent her screaming to a new life of suffering in some neighboring universe nearby. We saw imprints of the Black Lodge all over this universe and in Laura's room. The White Horse, JUDY'S diner, Tremond/Chalfont. This is a whole new universe with all different names and different rules, and what basically happened is Cooper reached the END of the path that the Fireman/Giant laid out for him.

And I believe that the Fireman said those particular things "430... Richard and Linda... Two Birds, One Stone... You are far away..." in essence to warn Cooper and let him know that if the plan DOES happen to go to poo poo, he has been abandoned and The Fireman DOES know just what he tried and failed to do, as well as knowing exactly whom he and Diane are in this other universe.

The remark "you are far away" also strikes me as VERY significant. Now, The Fireman lives in a place where he can (apparently) directly insert objects and things at very specific spaces and times.. In fact, time may not even truly exist for The Fireman, and it might simply be a matter of using and calibrating those domed machines he has everywhere.

The Giant is the kind of fellow who can bring a chimney-sweepin' Londoner halfway across the world with a Green Gardening Glove specifically to smash the BOBORB to pieces. He also can use a machine to seemingly place any in any point in space (possibly even time) that he wishes (with his whooshes).

Now, the question I find myself asking is this: what would SERIOUSLY constitute being "far away" to someone like The Fireman! That really makes me wonder just where Cooper was (at least in his own personal chronology) when he heard those words from The Fireman.

Sorry for the rambling. I hope I hit on something there, somehow.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I agree with the twitter dude who thought 17 was the finale except I've seen 18 as well. There's a lot of stuff we don't understand, but this is a pretty straightforward Lynch ending all things considered.

We did know something bad/irreversible was about to happen from how Coop said to his friends "I don't know if I'll see you again" and from Jeffries' warning to him. Coop also says he doesn't know what will happen once they "cross". The finale was full of dread and it made me feel like something was terribly wrong even before the sex scene, which was masterfully directed. At times it felt like Cognitive Dissonance: the Movie. Maybe it was tough to swallow for some viewers but holy poo poo I don't know how you felt after S2 finale then.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I think this was mentioned already, but Laura still disappeared, even if she wasn't killed.

I really don't think she was supposed to, though. I think that was Judy's doing, and that if Cooper's plan had succeeded Laura and her family would have been free of BOB *and* Judy.

It actually makes me wonder, you know... When Freddie smashed BOB to pieces, it only just killed that one version of BOB in that one timeline, since judging by FWWM-era Leland's leer, but was still inside him at that point and wasn't destroyed in the future and the past as well, which I thought was a possibility.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you think about it in many ways Dougie was more of a force for good than Coop, who once he regained his faculties almost immediately ruined everything and accidentally forced Laura into an infinite loop of suffering(?)

Anyways, I kind of hope we don't get a Season 4 and that was the final, definitive end of Twin Peaks, though if we do I suspect it's going to be even more opaque and detached from the original show than this was.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I really don't think she was supposed to, though. I think that was Judy's doing, and that if Cooper's plan had succeeded Laura and her family would have been free of BOB *and* Judy.

Ah yeah that's a good point. He did say he was taking her home.

Also your post before this one is really cool and fits a lot with my own personal interpretation

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dougie managed to bumble his way into lots of successes. Coop tries a lot harder and achieves very little. (Heck, Lucy and 'me destiny' dude managed to destroy Mr. C and Bob.) Dougie is such a god damned hero.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I feel like they filmed the parts that were in 18 and then they rewrote the rest of the series and just plopped them on the end.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Krabboss posted:

just chiming in to say that i have nothing but contempt for the human-adjacent doodoo brained fuckers who think the Audrey scenes are poorly acted.

They're really well acted and really boring

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Chinook posted:

Dougie managed to bumble his way into lots of successes. Coop tries a lot harder and achieves very little. (Heck, Lucy and 'me destiny' dude managed to destroy Mr. C and Bob.) Dougie is such a god damned hero.
Dougie is Cooper's pure subconscious, no hubris.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think things would have worked out alot better if Coop took Jeffries' fate as a cautionary tale and didn't go through the basement door. Like, just go settle down with Janey-E or Diane or catch up with Albert and Gordon. Just literally anything which isn't 'attempt to rewrite time in an act of hubris, yank a woman's soul out of heaven and maroon her in a tulpa dimension where she has to relive her suffering all over again', it was just a really bad idea

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I read an interesting take last night about how the last episode was a literal rejection of the idea of reboots. That doing so is destructive to the source material and that the world has moved on.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

hanales posted:

I feel like they filmed the parts that were in 18 and then they rewrote the rest of the series and just plopped them on the end.

Well, the way Lynch operates he shoots all over the place all the time, and he's always pursuing intuitive ideas that come to him at random moments but they're usually very specific. I imagine with TP, the "scenes" that would constitute a given episode were almost little stories or vignettes in and of themselves. The editing for this show could have gone in a *thousand* different directions I'll bet and even with 18 ~55-60 minute episode, there is probably at least 8 hours of material he shot and never ended up using. Which he'll release in like 20 years, yep. Probably all of it features Wally Brando teaching us the dharma of the road.

What I was going to say though, is that while Lynch films all over the place, I wonder whether he may have tried to film overall in reverse chronology, for one reason or another. Perhaps as a way to make the beginning episodes reflect the ending, rather than having it be the other way around which'd be far more typical.

The only reason I say this or bring it up is because Evil Cooper, ever since he shows up at the Sheriff's Station.... Well, his hair and makeup look "off". It looks like an earlier, less refined version. His bangs are wrong, the hair is *slightly* longer than it was in all the earlier episodes, and is EVEN GREASIER and flatter with even less body. Just a bit jarring and took me out of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Odessa, Texas is home to the world's largest jack rabbit.

It's not about the bunny

Is it about the bunny?!?