Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is it wrong that I immediately went and looked up Jerusalem's reviews for all 3 of these horrible audios that have been mentioned?

It shows that you're not just going to take the word of a couple of people on a dead internet comedy forum. You want to hear from another one too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I hope I didn't say anything good about any of them!

I think there was a kind word about the Brigadeir somewhere amongst all the "shits".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

More Tenth Doctor and now Eleventh Doctor Chronicles from Big Finish, with Jake Dudman narrating/doing the voices of the Doctors. His Matt Smith is absolutely spot on, so that's a good shout.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/904658822685392897

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man...the 10 and 11 Chronicles may turn out to be my longest standing BF preorders. I sprung for the bundle of all 3 back in February when they were first announced!

Ah well, gives me something to look forward to, and I'm glad at least the 10 box has a date now

Edit: I take that back. I preordered the bundle of Time War sets July 2017, with box 4 not releasing til July 2020.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

More Tenth Doctor and now Eleventh Doctor Chronicles from Big Finish, with Jake Dudman narrating/doing the voices of the Doctors. His Matt Smith is absolutely spot on, so that's a good shout.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/904658822685392897

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAY-tgKr52s

Oh cool, I'd seen that before, but I didn't realize that guy was doing BF!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

All I'm saying is if they're getting impressionists to do the Doctors now, get the Kingmaker guy to do Eccleston. :colbert:

and me to do John Hurt

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Season 3 of classic Who is pretty loving bleak. Vicki leaves the Doctor only three stories after he had to say goodbye to Barbara and Ian. Stephen gets injured, the new companion is so ignorant, she thinks that she's being taken to the afterlife, and the whole crew get separated from the TARDIS and keep getting dragged further and further away. By the time the Doctor realizes he's up against both the Daleks (with the entire space government collaborating with them, apparently) and the Meddling Monk, the writers have become so frustrated with trying to write the new companion that they fire her out of an airlock. Nicholas Courtney is around as a sort of flawed, pseudocompanion, but his sister, Queen Bavmorda, shoots him dead with barely a thought. Queen Bavmorda then joins as a companion, only to be melted into age dust when the Daleks assemble their doomsday device after all. Stephen is so traumatized by all of it that he seriously considers leaving, and almost does after there's another death in 1500s France. He decides to stay, but only because something worse than all of that has happened: Dodo has joined the TARDIS crew!

(I'm mostly being facetious on the last point. I only just finished The Daleks' Master Plan and I'll wait until I've watched a little of Dodo to decide whether I dislike her again. I wasn't her biggest fan the first time.)

Finally, I've decided the major tragedy of the reproductions is the sound quality. The crews do a hell of a job with what the stills they have, but there's just not a ton you can do with fuzzy audio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I wish there was a complete The Daleks' Master Plan - it's an incredibly bleak story but peppered with these really sweet and wonderful moments, but also some of the darkest poo poo that Who has ever done like Sara Kingdom's ultimate fate or poor Katarina who never really understood what was going on :smith:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

God I wish there was a complete The Daleks' Master Plan - it's an incredibly bleak story but peppered with these really sweet and wonderful moments, but also some of the darkest poo poo that Who has ever done like Sara Kingdom's ultimate fate or poor Katarina who never really understood what was going on :smith:

I don't know if they'd even have the budget to do an animated version

But I'm right there with you. Man

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Burkion posted:

I don't know if they'd even have the budget to do an animated version

But I'm right there with you. Man

Good news: The Daleks' Master Plan gets an animated reconstruction!

Bad news: Series 11 is only 6 episodes.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Stretching the already minuscule budget of the animated reconstructions to the length of Master Plan would be terrible. They're janky enough as it is, they'd never be able to do a story that big and do it justice. Just listen to the tv soundtrack with linking narration by Peter Purves.

Also everyone that doesn't have Big Finish's adaptation of Russel "The" Davies' Damaged Goods should go and buy it while it's a fiver in that Seven sale.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd love to recover The Daleks' Master Plan, but it wouldn't be the first choice of missing serials for me, even given that recovering it in full would get us nine episodes. It's hurt a bit less by the poor audio quality and the linked images than other serials are (The Myth Makers, for example is really, really hard to follow), plus, it's definitely bloated enough that it could have stood to have some fat trimmed. Jeru is (as usual) right, though, it's unique in the history of the show, and it would be really good to see it as it was intended to be featured. If nothing else, I have to admit that I can't loving tell who is supposed to be who from Mission to the Unknown. The recordings just aren't good enough for me to match an actor to an actor.

Also: (Dear Chris Chibnall,)

I'm sure that I have said this before, but I'll say it again: full condemnation for all of the racism in The Celestial Toymaker, but why the hell haven't they brought him back as a villain yet? Drop "the Celestial" obviously, and don't have his dolls drop outdated rhymes containing racial epithets, but...

1) The Doctor indicates that they will face each other again at the end, inviting a return (plus the Toymaker is weird and undefined enough that he can definitely be recast).
2) There is a ton of material to mine from an intelligent person who is obsessed with the rules-layering aspect of games but lacks empathy and values winning over everything else.
3) There's something extremely Doctor Who about encountering a logic test game, flipping it over with a creative solution, and beating the villain on their own terms and hoisting them by their own petard.

The Toymaker would be an excellent tool to critique the uglier parts of "geek culture," to say nothing of the how easy he makes it to establish science fiction rules of the week while providing exposition that doesn't feel forced. I'm shocked Moffat never used him because manufactured realities are right up his alley. He has as much or more potential than the Master and he is in exactly one serial from the 1960s.

gently caress the Rani, gently caress the Meddling Monk, and gently caress Sil, bring back the Toymaker.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Bicyclops posted:

gently caress the Rani, gently caress the Meddling Monk, and gently caress Sil, bring back the Toymaker.

I wonder what type of games a 21st century Toymaker would play?

Turns the companion into a Tamagotchi.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It'll be some lovely interpretation of an MMO or an FPS. There's a ton they could do with board or card games but they wouldn't, they'd do a grampa's understanding of videogames. I mean poo poo, they almost did with The Nightmare Fair.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As a bit of fun, I started imagining Doctor Who where all the Doctors are portrayed by Americans who very roughly correspond to their UK counterparts. Didn't get very far, unfortunately. So far I've thought of Tony Curtis as Three, Timothy Hutton as Eight, Michael Chiklis as Nine, Noah Wyle as Ten and Harrison Ford as the War Doctor.

Who else would populate the list?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

As a bit of fun, I started imagining Doctor Who where all the Doctors are portrayed by Americans who very roughly correspond to their UK counterparts. Didn't get very far, unfortunately. So far I've thought of Tony Curtis as Three, Timothy Hutton as Eight, Michael Chiklis as Nine, Noah Wyle as Ten and Harrison Ford as the War Doctor.

Gene Wilder as Four is a given.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Gene Wilder as Four is a given.

Of course. Four or Six.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Karl Malden as William Hartnell!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Craig Ferguson as 12.

:v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

Also: (Dear Chris Chibnall,)

I'm sure that I have said this before, but I'll say it again: full condemnation for all of the racism in The Celestial Toymaker, but why the hell haven't they brought him back as a villain yet? Drop "the Celestial" obviously, and don't have his dolls drop outdated rhymes containing racial epithets, but...

1) The Doctor indicates that they will face each other again at the end, inviting a return (plus the Toymaker is weird and undefined enough that he can definitely be recast).
2) There is a ton of material to mine from an intelligent person who is obsessed with the rules-layering aspect of games but lacks empathy and values winning over everything else.
3) There's something extremely Doctor Who about encountering a logic test game, flipping it over with a creative solution, and beating the villain on their own terms and hoisting them by their own petard.

The Toymaker would be an excellent tool to critique the uglier parts of "geek culture," to say nothing of the how easy he makes it to establish science fiction rules of the week while providing exposition that doesn't feel forced. I'm shocked Moffat never used him because manufactured realities are right up his alley. He has as much or more potential than the Master and he is in exactly one serial from the 1960s.

I actually just realized when reading this that a roleplaying campaign I'm running right now has an antagonist that would be a pretty decent take on the Toymaker, or at least the things that work about him.

An autistic nerd and wannabe speedrunner got hold of something that gave her complete control over a small area, and proceeded to use it the only way she knew how: by breaking it. I wound up combining House of Leaves style space-warping and a few visual flairs I picked up from some more horror-leaning segments of Doctor Who (one guy got REALLY caught out by a take on the dream messages from Last Christmas) with puzzles and traps based on famous glitches and an aesthetic primarily inspired by Axiom Verge. Every single thing, though, has been designed around the assumption that the 'proper' response to it is to come up with some way to gently caress it up, because she's autistic so she struggles with surprises.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 5, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bob Denver as Two
Vincent Price as Three
Kyle MacLachlan as Five
Phil Hartman as Six
Joel Grey as Seven
Donald Glover as Eleven

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/JohnBarrowman/status/904418561250250753

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sad King Billy posted:

I wonder what type of games a 21st century Toymaker would play?

Turns the companion into a Tamagotchi.

The Lost Story "The Nightmare Fair" with Colin, The Toymaker had an arcade game the Doctor had to play.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Buzzfeed did this a couple of years ago, and some of their choices were inspired. The list for people who don't want to read Buzzfeed.
1. Burgess Meredith
2. Dick Van Dyke
3. Vincent Price
4. Gene Wilder
5. Kyle MacLachlan
6. Christopher Walken
7. Tony Shaloub
8. Jeff Goldblum
9. Nick Cage
10. Sam Rockwell
11. Donald Glover
12. Bryan Cranston
War. Harrison Ford

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 5, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Buzzfeed did this a couple of years ago, and some of their choices were inspired.

Haha, I haven't seen that, though I'm amused that they had the same idea about the War Doctor. :D

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Buzzfeed did this a couple of years ago, and some of their choices were inspired.

I very much like how you could really put Dick Van Dyke in almost ANYWHERE and it'd still work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

I very much like how you could really put Dick Van Dyke in almost ANYWHERE and it'd still work.

He's been around forever and he'll be around forever. Just like an American Bruce For -- Oh. :smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's been around forever and he'll be around forever. Just like an American Bruce For -- Oh. :smith:

He's already two years older than Forsythe was when he died, he's past the danger point. That's how age works, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

It'll be some lovely interpretation of an MMO or an FPS. There's a ton they could do with board or card games but they wouldn't, they'd do a grampa's understanding of videogames. I mean poo poo, they almost did with The Nightmare Fair.

Maybe it'll be a Bethesda style game with lots of quests and scarily human NPCs, perhaps in a wild west setting. Starring Anthony Hopkins as the Toymaker.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe it'll be a Bethesda style game with lots of quests and scarily human NPCs, perhaps in a wild west setting. Starring Anthony Hopkins as the Toymaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzCvX7nWQA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bruce Forsyth is dead? But.... that doesn't make any sense. Bruce Forsyth IS.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Don't really see what the point of bringing back the Toymaker is. Remove all the stereotypical poo poo and what's left? Just another villain with godlike powers over a fantasy world. May as well bring back the Dream Lord.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got to get the team-up between the Celestial Toymaker and the Master of the Land of Fiction that fans have been DEMANDING.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Buzzfeed did this a couple of years ago, and some of their choices were inspired. The list for people who don't want to read Buzzfeed.
1. Burgess Meredith
2. Dick Van Dyke
3. Vincent Price
4. Gene Wilder
5. Kyle MacLachlan
6. Christopher Walken
7. Tony Shaloub
8. Jeff Goldblum
9. Nick Cage
10. Sam Rockwell
11. Donald Glover
12. Bryan Cranston
War. Harrison Ford

Oh ha, that's where I mentally pulled most of my list. I forgot about that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Being back the valeyard

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

no, don't

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Don't really see what the point of bringing back the Toymaker is. Remove all the stereotypical poo poo and what's left? Just another villain with godlike powers over a fantasy world. May as well bring back the Dream Lord.

He's obsessed with games and specifically with the complexity of games, and he is constantly bored by not having a challenger but really, really hates to lose. I think there's a lot to him.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Well, even before Missy, it's clear that Mary Poppins is a Time Lord (the carpetbag that's bigger on the inside is a dead giveaway, but not the only one). From Bert's accent, he's clearly an alien she left on Earth. So he could be both Doctor and companion.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
So who would 13 be? Best I've got is Lizzy Caplan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Terry Grunthouse posted:

So who would 13 be? Best I've got is Lizzy Caplan

Weirdly enough?