Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

The boss is letting everyone go at 3:30...

But truecrypt won't finish encrypting until 5 :(
Wasn't truecrypt deprecated and everyone told to stop using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Wasn't truecrypt deprecated and everyone told to stop using it?

I thought it wasn't so much deprecated, but that it could no longer be considered trusted. I'll see if I can dig it up

EDIT: Not where I original read it, but the filesystem flaws were what I was thinking of. On top of that, it hasn't been updated in years so I'm sure there's other flaws lurking that will never be addressed. These issues were reported two years ago.

https://www.itworld.com/article/2987438/data-protection/newly-found-truecrypt-flaw-allows-full-system-compromise.html

quote:

James Forshaw, a member of Google's Project Zero team that regularly finds vulnerabilities in widely used software, has recently discovered two vulnerabilities in the driver that TrueCrypt installs on Windows systems.

The flaws, which were apparently missed in an earlier independent audit of the TrueCrypt source code, could allow attackers to obtain elevated privileges on a system if they have access to a limited user account.

quote:

Since TrueCrypt is no longer actively maintained, the bugs won't be fixed directly in the program's code. However, they have been fixed in VeraCrypt, an open-source program based on the TrueCrypt code that aims to continue and improve the original project.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 2, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that's what I meant. It had a final release and is officially EOL, and the devs explicitly told people not to use it anymore because it should not be considered trustworthy.

A lot of people took that as a warning that they had been coerced into adding backdoors or deliberately weaken the encryption.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
So I posted a while ago how the team of 3 I was in turned into the team of me nearly overnight a week ago, fun times ensued.

The one and only SAN box in a Hyper V HA cluster where all the VHDX's were filled up, logged in late Thursday night to get some work done to be treated with 15 offline server alerts. That was a late night and early morning...

Midday the day after (Friday), customers on prem server can't detect a boot device. For some crazy reasons they have 24/7 support from HPE on this 9 year old server, HPE tech gets it booting into Windows after a lengthy check disk. Now (Saturday)I'm restoring the OS drive of a SBS VM that was running on it and for some reason SQL services that were running on the bare metal box won't start.

I think I know why I'm the only one left....

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ignoring the possible security problems with TrueCrypt, the TrueCrypt developers had never gotten around to full UEFI or full Windows 8 (and of course Windows 10, as 10 hadn't been out yet) support, making it some times quite a hassle to convert a Windows 8 or 10 system over to TrueCrypt, and occasionally having performance/stability issues.

Most of the forks of the TrueCrypt code like VeraCrypt have solved those. It has sometimes been rumored that the real reason the TrueCrypt guys closed shop when they did is that they simply didn't want to do the work for full UEFI/Windows 8 and later/other bugs fixes.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Ignoring the possible security problems with TrueCrypt, the TrueCrypt developers had never gotten around to full UEFI or full Windows 8 (and of course Windows 10, as 10 hadn't been out yet) support, making it some times quite a hassle to convert a Windows 8 or 10 system over to TrueCrypt, and occasionally having performance/stability issues.

Most of the forks of the TrueCrypt code like VeraCrypt have solved those. It has sometimes been rumored that the real reason the TrueCrypt guys closed shop when they did is that they simply didn't want to do the work for full UEFI/Windows 8 and later/other bugs fixes.

What's the reason for using Veracrypt et al over Bitlocker on a Win 10 machine?

Edit: Decided to use Google and now I have an idea.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 2, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

fishmech posted:

Man what was the last laptop that even used those ZIF connectors. I'd say just giving someone a laptop old enough for that would be punishment on its own!

I saw them pretty frequently when I was in Geek Squad (though to be fair now I haven't worked there in over 3 1/2 years now). I scored a free laptop a while back that shipped with Win7 on it, and found those for the KB and mouse when I took it apart to clean it. It's not THAT old, or at least not that long out-of-production.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had to look it up because I didn't know the term, but my wife's laptop from 2015 uses a ton of ZIF connectors. They're kind of finicky, but with how fragile it seems like the parts in there are it's probably for the best.

It is a piece of poo poo, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MANime in the sheets posted:

I saw them pretty frequently when I was in Geek Squad (though to be fair now I haven't worked there in over 3 1/2 years now). I scored a free laptop a while back that shipped with Win7 on it, and found those for the KB and mouse when I took it apart to clean it. It's not THAT old, or at least not that long out-of-production.

I was thinking more of the zif connectors for hard drives, which were real easy to end up connected wrong.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Classic-style iPods were the biggest users of ZIF hard-drive connectors that I've seen, I fixed about 20 of them by converting to CF cards.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Are they faster / more responsive with the cards instead of spinning disks?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Steakandchips posted:

Are they faster / more responsive with the cards instead of spinning disks?

With modern CompactFlash cards for sure, as well as them being available in much higher capacities. With the CF cards that were around when they were new, the CF card would still not have to deal with the latency between hard drive seeks and even though they read data slower you don't need to read too fast to play back a 320 kilobit/second audio file so it was rarely an issue.

These days, for some of the later classic iPods, there's even boards available that let you replace the original hard drive with an adaptor board you slot an MSATA SSD in, which people have used for up to 1 terabyte of storage reliably.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 4, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
What Fishmech said, plus iPods buffer data pretty well(so they're not hitting the spinner so often; battery life and all), and you don't notice a huge difference except flipping through a massive library.

I've not used an SSD yet, but lately I've been using a ZIF-CF adaptor with a CF-micro-SD adaptor plugged into it with a micro-SD card for storage. While it sounds like an awful mess, it hooks together cleanly and the advantage of micro-SD is you can get large capacities very cheaply - a 64gb SD card is less than half the $$ of most CF cards. CF is mostly used by high-end DSLR's nowadays so everybody is focused on really fast data transfers, which is unnecessary in an iPod and drives up the price.

You'd be surprised how many people still want a fairly rugged music player for jogging, car use, etc - phones are too fragile and most don't have the capacity. A classic iPod in a silicon case with solid-state storage will shrug off being dropped like it's nothing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

JnnyThndrs posted:

You'd be surprised how many people still want a fairly rugged music player for jogging, car use, etc - phones are too fragile and most don't have the capacity. A classic iPod in a silicon case with solid-state storage will shrug off being dropped like it's nothing.
Not to mention people who listen to music while they swim.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well, we have a freelancer sitting at her desk without a system because her supervisor failed to inform us that there was a newhire starting, however temporary, until the day she arrived.

Guess she's just going too have to go without until this afternoon!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, we have a freelancer sitting at her desk without a system because her supervisor failed to inform us that there was a newhire starting, however temporary, until the day she arrived.

Guess she's just going too have to go without until this afternoon!

More like Monday next week. Give him some time to think about lead times.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The problem is you're not punishing the supervisor, you're punishing the new hire who hasn't done anything wrong.

The correct solution is to take the supervisor's computer and give it to the new hire until a new one can be provided.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The problem is you're not punishing the supervisor, you're punishing the new hire who hasn't done anything wrong.

The correct solution is to take the supervisor's computer and give it to the new hire until a new one can be provided.

The new hire's punishment is not having to do any work.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Please stop putting your entire god drat request in the subject :sigh: I also don't need a full greeting in it too.

"Hi friends, I need to be unlocked from <application>". gently caress. It's irrational but it's annoying as poo poo.

This goes along with people who put "famous" quotes in signatures, insert their religion into work junk, and all the other dumb rear end common e-mail things. :sigh:

Oh, and gently caress abusive rear end loving coworkers. Worker A calls us upset because her Boss told us to uninstall Office because it was a different version than everyone else's. Well, in the middle of it, our entire loving data center lost power so we didn't finish. Boss yells at Worker A instead of just finding out a status.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about coworkers that have a signature that links to their LinkedIn profile?

Or list every single academic accomplishment they've ever made.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

How about coworkers that have a signature that links to their LinkedIn profile?

That's pretty ballsy

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Please stop putting your entire god drat request in the subject :sigh: I also don't need a full greeting in it too.

"Hi friends, I need to be unlocked from <application>". gently caress. It's irrational but it's annoying as poo poo.
I don't know how common it is, but our "email guidelines" here say that if you're just sending a short message, put it all in the subject and prefix it with an @. I don't do it myself because I think it's silly, but it doesn't really bother me when others do it.

Maybe it's because most of the time I get mails like that it's from the receptionist with a subject saying "@There's cake in the kitchen, help yourselves!"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I don't know how common it is, but our "email guidelines" here say that if you're just sending a short message, put it all in the subject and prefix it with an @. I don't do it myself because I think it's silly, but it doesn't really bother me when others do it.

Maybe it's because most of the time I get mails like that it's from the receptionist with a subject saying "@There's cake in the kitchen, help yourselves!"

If it was a notification, that would be fine, but I'm with Irritated Goat. Don't put requests in the subject line, it fucks up my work flow (not my actual steps of work, but my flow, at work)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The new hire gets fired in two days for not getting any work done even though they didn't have the tools and it was completely out of their control. You don't hear anything about this until months later when they are suing the company and you are being asked general questions like "what did you think of X" and not getting to the point of "why didn't X ever get their computer when they were hear for 2 days before being fired" or "when X was let go why didn't you tell us they never got a computer so we could retract it!".

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

That's pretty uncommon actually. Most places around here just do "There's cake in the kitchen" which is kind of annoying but it's like 5 words.

The ones I hate are easily an entire e-mail in the subject.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lol it gets better.

supervisor's manager is indignant because he did, in fact, submit a newhire ticket and therefore she should be set up.

He submitted it at 5:31pm on Friday, right before labour day weekend. I actually can't decide if that's better or worse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Irritated Goat posted:

That's pretty uncommon actually. Most places around here just do "There's cake in the kitchen" which is kind of annoying but it's like 5 words.

The ones I hate are easily an entire e-mail in the subject.

Like someone makes a subject of "hi, Joe this Fred, I'm having an issue with my computer and was hoping you would stop by. I was watching Youtube while listening to Spotify and Excel gave a weird error. Something about an referee at a game or something? I was watching sports clips and I think the data got corrupted between them. Thank you, Fred Johnson P.S. I can't do anything until you come by since the screen is now frozen so I'm going to lunch please fix it before I get back"

#REF errors are the Excel referee telling you something is against the rules right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pixaal posted:

Like someone makes a subject of "hi, Joe this Fred, I'm having an issue with my computer and was hoping you would stop by. I was watching Youtube while listening to Spotify and Excel gave a weird error. Something about an referee at a game or something? I was watching sports clips and I think the data got corrupted between them. Thank you, Fred Johnson P.S. I can't do anything until you come by since the screen is now frozen so I'm going to lunch please fix it before I get back"

#REF errors are the Excel referee telling you something is against the rules right?

Yes, if you get too many you get a red card and you computer is sent off.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Pissing me off this morning - AC was off all weekend and it was the hottest weekend of the year. loving 90 degrees on the 26th floor. jesus christ.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

The Iron Rose posted:

lol it gets better.

supervisor's manager is indignant because he did, in fact, submit a newhire ticket and therefore she should be set up.

He submitted it at 5:31pm on Friday, right before labour day weekend. I actually can't decide if that's better or worse.

At this point you should be fully justified in giving him a dressing down on his bullshit. That drives me up a smooth wall.

"I submitted it yesterday!" *Timestamp at 4:59pm*

That's when he knows he hosed up and he's trying to throw you under the bus for his failings.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think my termination is going to be delayed. The consultant spent the last 10 minutes in Bill's office trying to cajole him into saying "Yes, I can take over all of Dick's responsibilities" but Bill kept saying "NO" and eventually "NO NO NO NO NO" until the consultant stalked off back to his own office.

It sounded something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMESRatAG04

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I think my termination is going to be delayed. The consultant spent the last 10 minutes in Bill's office trying to cajole him into saying "Yes, I can take over all of Dick's responsibilities" but Bill kept saying "NO" and eventually "NO NO NO NO NO" until the consultant stalked off back to his own office.

Lol that Bill of all people has become your staunchest ally

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dick Trauma posted:

...Bill saved your job? The Bill who is incapable of doing many things right and continually runs off half-cocked?

Da fuq?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

...Bill saved your job? The Bill who is incapable of doing many things right and continually runs off half-cocked?

Da fuq?

Assuredly not on purpose, but rather to save himself from having more work to do

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've tried (and succeeded) to get a guy fired before myself but I at least had the dignity not to do it within earshot of the guy.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Time to ask for a raise.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Bill has been traumatised by having already had to play my role for a few years, after they lost their last I.T. person. He's speaking purely from a place of fear and self-preservation.

A sign of my improving chill:

My boss just mentioned in passing that they'd hired a new executive and he was sitting in the conference room right now waiting for a computer. I didn't feel even a pang of annoyance. I just smiled and said I'd take care of it, and headed to the server room to dig out one of the five year old Thinkpads.

I look forward to buying him a new laptop and earning the points on my Amazon account. :20bux:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice chill right there.

Good Dick, good!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmR8fzQjuD8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

That's actually how I imagine Bill, except much more pudgy.