Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Alex is a dumbass who doesn't know poo poo about anything.
Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Alex explicitly describes the Apex as a security system that was summoned directly as a result of you messing with the coral though

He says that the purpose of the coral is to summon the Apex, which shows up to devour everything. This is what several of the other more deranged characters say, including Morgan. This is also what the out of game materials say.

He mentions a "neural tripwire" exactly once, and not necessarily in relation to the Apex. So this doesn't mean that the Apex is a "security system"; it could mean that messing with the coral caused the Apex Typhon to get summoned sooner than usual, or it could also mean that interacting with the Typhon neural network (such as by using Typhons to develop and inject neuromods) results in something like the Nightmare showing up. This supports the Nightmare as a security system, because sometimes when you inject neuromods that will summon the Nightmare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also january literally tells you that as does its research notes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
oh my god I just found a room full of sticky notes taped onto random lab equipment and objects "Not a Mimic" Not a Mimic" Not a Mimic" :allears:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

buglord posted:

oh my god I just found a room full of sticky notes taped onto random lab equipment and objects "Not a Mimic" Not a Mimic" Not a Mimic" :allears:

One of my friends describing this room and how he somehow didn't realize what it meant until after he'd picked up like half of the notes is what made me buy this game originally.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

buglord posted:

There's a nice transcribe around that area from the person who made those

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

buglord posted:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:captainpop:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite joke bits in the mid-late game, in the Power Plant: mimics that turned into power-bearing components for the reactor, which the reactor techs tried to install, with catastrophic results.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IMJack posted:

One of my favorite joke bits in the mid-late game, in the Power Plant: mimics that turned into power-bearing components for the reactor, which the reactor techs tried to install, with catastrophic results.
Yeah, that stood out. Joke's on that little fucker, then.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, that stood out. Joke's on that little fucker, then.

In the time between when my skills were not high enough when I ran across that, and then found alternatives after I had splurged on said skills... I'm going to imagine the reality of Repair 3 means you are so good at repairs, you can repair a broken component mimic :buddy:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

honestly the best event is when you have max stealth and try to pick up an object and it fails.

"wait, why can't I .... Pick it up drat...

... are you a mimic?"

Shoots object that was a mimic unaware of you trying to pick it up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

IMJack posted:

Wait, was this the thing you have to find a replacement for in there? Because, I uh, repaired the part in place and reinstalled it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, was this the thing you have to find a replacement for in there? Because, I uh, repaired the part in place and reinstalled it.
No, its just a log about a tech freaking out about a part that he tried to put into a circuit in the reactor that turned into black goo in his hands. Later, when you enter the supply room, most of the repair components on the shelves are actually Mimics.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

No, its just a log about a tech freaking out about a part that he tried to put into a circuit in the reactor that turned into black goo in his hands. Later, when you enter the supply room, most of the repair components on the shelves are actually Mimics.

Oh wow. I was dumb and thought that the power surge was so strong as to melt metal into black goo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

Oh wow. I was dumb and thought that the power surge was so strong as to melt metal into black goo

Yeah, I thought this too. I didn't make the connection at the time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That log was a huge part of what made destroying the shuttle a no-brainer for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It really drives home how lame it is that mimics instantly break their camouflage when you get near them.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Cojawfee posted:

It really drives home how lame it is that mimics instantly break their camouflage when you get near them.

Some mimics do that. If there were more that stayed still, we'd never know.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would be really crazy if it were possible to pick up a pistol and then when you try to use it, it turns into a mimic.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Dumb luck makes me miss such things once again! "I got it right on the first try :downs:"

Ravenfood posted:

That log was a huge part of what made destroying the shuttle a no-brainer for me.

Not really, because they are too stupid not to freak out before they ever accomplish that. Or did you not check out the already destroyed shuttle because typhon can't keep their dick in their pants. Though that is one of those things with no marker even when you can see it, until you get closer. Then you get a LOT of markers once you get closer :stare:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Section Z posted:

Not really, because they are too stupid not to freak out before they ever accomplish that. Or did you not check out the already destroyed shuttle because typhon can't keep their dick in their pants. Though that is one of those things with no marker even when you can see it, until you get closer. Then you get a LOT of markers once you get closer :stare:

They clearly can and did for quite a while on the station while they were in spreading mode. It seems there's some sort of 'signal' that went out that made them hostile at roughly the same time, but there seem to have been no mimic attacks before Bellamy despite the station being overrun with them.

But yeah, since the attack had started at that point, the shuttle mimics on the transport probably would have gone on the attack as well. Unless it was far enough away? Or since you couldn't hail it, maybe it was already taken over.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Been playing this for something like 15 hours at this point - playing a wrenchlord with psychic powers.

Question regarding research and powers: I'm trying to get to some of the more useful ones, namely psychoshock/mindjack and regeneration. It sounds like the first two come from telepaths while the latter comes from greater mimics and nightmares. Thing is, I've only encountered one telepath and that was in the arboretum, which wasn't enough to unlock either of those powers. Are there more telepaths elsewhere that I can encounter from a sidequest? I want to use mindjack to free one of the humans if I can since that's an objective but won't be able to do it if I don't find more research before going back up there.

You can only scan live targets, right? It always says "live specimen required" but I just wanted to be certain of that.

Anyway, I've scanned one nightmare and one greater mimic which hasn't been enough to get regeneration. Are more of those showing up soon? A second nightmare showed up when I renewed the neuromod license but I just hid in a corner for 2 minutes to wait it out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In one of the labs, there is a theory that when the mimics copy an item, they swap to an alternate dimension and swap that item to this dimension and remain connected to be able to observe what's around them.. So what if they have already taken over that alternate dimension? The reason why they were able to be handled without being exposed as a mimic for song long was because they were taking over the alternate dimension Talos 1. Then once they were done taking it over, they switched back to our dimension to take that over. They were so busy taking over the other station before, so they didn't notice they were being handled in this dimension. Now they have nothing else to do, so they are always observing this dimension to attack whoever comes through.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There will be plenty more enemies as you continue. Have you been to Crew Quarters yet, or explored around outside the ship? There are more Telepaths in both locations.

Also you have pretty much the run of the whole ship at this point - have you explored Life Support? The Power Plant? Fuel Supply? Shuttle Bay? All can be visited before Crew Quarters.

Also returning to areas you've already visited as the game progresses will have new and tougher enemies.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

There will be plenty more enemies as you continue. Have you been to Crew Quarters yet, or explored around outside the ship? There are more Telepaths in both locations.

Also you have pretty much the run of the whole ship at this point - have you explored Life Support? The Power Plant? Fuel Supply? Shuttle Bay? All can be visited before Crew Quarters.

Also returning to areas you've already visited as the game progresses will have new and tougher enemies.

This could get pretty absurd feeling on return trips to the lobby later. Huh, is that a telepath?... Oh it's two telepaths, together. Less annoying than Cysts nests everywhere though usually it's been nowhere near that bad :v:

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh man. How have I played so much and yet still have that much more to explore? I went to Life Support briefly, but didn't have any quests so I left. I've also only been outside of the station briefly. I should definitely hit that up soon. I think I'm hanging out in the Hardware Labs trying to do the blackbox quest. I've never been to the Power Plant, Fuel Supply or Shuttle Bay. Ditto for Crew Quarters I'm pretty sure. Anyway thanks, I'll be sure to check those areas out if I can figure out how to get to them!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Amish Ninja posted:

Oh man. How have I played so much and yet still have that much more to explore? I went to Life Support briefly, but didn't have any quests so I left. I've also only been outside of the station briefly. I should definitely hit that up soon. I think I'm hanging out in the Hardware Labs trying to do the blackbox quest. I've never been to the Power Plant, Fuel Supply or Shuttle Bay. Ditto for Crew Quarters I'm pretty sure. Anyway thanks, I'll be sure to check those areas out if I can figure out how to get to them!

You actually pick up quests in a lot of those areas! Reason to visit if you haven't been, even if nothing is set to take you there. Also, search the station control area thing I can't remember the name of just off the Aboretum. There's a lot of quests you get for visiting that place

Although hey, if you got the blackbox quest that means you've got the awesome Q-beam weapon, right? Pretty great, that thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think there are any places on the station the game doesn't send you into for one reason or another. Unless you start killing people and some of the game content gets cut off.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there are any places on the station the game doesn't send you into for one reason or another. Unless you start killing people and some of the game content gets cut off.

Does it ever send you to the Fueling Area? I don't think it sends you to the area with the thing that goes PFFFFFFWHOOOM *ZZZZZT* either. I don't think it sends you to the helm early enough for you to actually get anything out of it, either, you really need to visit on your own.

Still you can and possible should hit them well before the game sends you to them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The thing that goes WHOOOOOOOOOORRMM KZZZAP does give you a quest marker as you drift past I think, though I know for sure the game flags it to you with some dialogue.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Although hey, if you got the blackbox quest that means you've got the awesome Q-beam weapon, right? Pretty great, that thing.

Actually nah, I recycled that thing and all of its ammo because I never used it. Disruptor, shotgun, gloo and the MVP wrench has been all I need in conjunction with some offensive powers.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Section Z posted:

Dumb luck makes me miss such things once again! "I got it right on the first try :downs:"

I assume that they stay mimicked longer when they feel they are under threat. 10 humans are more threatening than 1 human (and they're not sentient so Morgan Yu's badassery doesn't enter the equation.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There's one log I heard that didn't make a huge amount of sense to me, maybe someone else can explain it. I don't recall who was talking, but they mentioned that the 'volunteer' shuttles universally have some anomalous thing happen to them, where they disappear from radar and reappear again, while the VIP shuttles don't. Anyone know what that was talking about?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

aniviron posted:

The thing that goes WHOOOOOOOOOORRMM KZZZAP does give you a quest marker as you drift past I think, though I know for sure the game flags it to you with some dialogue.

Is the thing you're referring to the Magnetic Field Generator that's supposed to keep the station safe but is overloading and sending periodic pulses that messes with your vision and suit when you're outside the container and straight-up murders you if you're inside it[/url]? Because if not, I would love to see another thing in the game that goes WHOOOOOOOOOOORRMM KZZZAP.

As far as game progress, I'm a little ways into the game - finally starting to pick up Alien neuromod skills and they're so useful that it's ridiculous, especially the one that interferes with enemy Psi powers. I'm curious about some of the powers - the one that gives you straight-up health regeneration after taking damage, does that require you to be mimic'ed in order to be in effect? I'm just thrown off because it's below the "Mimic" power in the skill tree.

I've reached the [spoiler]Crew Quarters
and have more or less cleared the area. This game is great.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I finally got round to playing this and I'd like to stick some first impressions down. Really good even though I haven't done much and I'm getting used to things a bit still. The opening was really good and the atmosphere seems to hold up after that too.

I'm not very good at it though. Mimics, fine, I can sort those, but there was some fire dick in a medical center and I had to cheese him so I might just knock it down to easy because the combat hasn't grabbed me yet. Will give it a bit more time though. Also some electric dude in a I think optional area before the hub. I guess I'm probably not supposed to be fighting guys like that yet but I am too much of a wimp to sneak around them. I will persevere though, I think the game has earned that much. I'm just at the stage where I feel like I don't have much resources or stuff yet and I keep having to chow down on health things after every fight.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Amish Ninja posted:

If you're playing a psyker, you definitely want to check out Life Support, specifically the water treatment plant.

Something that Prey has in common with both Dishonored games: camping on a double faucet to save healing items.

Though speaking of healing items, the fact that food items stack without limit in your inventory makes healing a non-issue. And you can eat food with one button press when the weapon wheel is up. I think I used no more than a handful of actual medkits, because every time I got close to death I would bring up the wheel and shove junk food down my throat until I was close to full health. I probably could have recycled all those medkits if I weren't such a hoarder.

Suit repair kits are a different story. When the military operators showed up they would cut my suit to ribbons with their drat lasers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ignoranus posted:

Is the thing you're referring to the Magnetic Field Generator that's supposed to keep the station safe but is overloading and sending periodic pulses that messes with your vision and suit when you're outside the container and straight-up murders you if you're inside it[/url]? Because if not, I would love to see another thing in the game that goes WHOOOOOOOOOOORRMM KZZZAP.

As far as game progress, I'm a little ways into the game - finally starting to pick up Alien neuromod skills and they're so useful that it's ridiculous, especially the one that interferes with enemy Psi powers. I'm curious about some of the powers - the one that gives you straight-up health regeneration after taking damage, does that require you to be mimic'ed in order to be in effect? I'm just thrown off because it's below the "Mimic" power in the skill tree.

I've reached the [spoiler]Crew Quarters
and have more or less cleared the area. This game is great.

Yes, that's the thing I meant. It seemed important, but I suspect that if I hadn't done anything about it the station would have been fine. Not that the station was going to last much longer anyway though I guess.

And no, that power does not require you to be mimic'd. It's absurdly good- against things that don't hit very hard, you can actually just intentionally take damage from them and get more health back than you lose every time as a way of healing.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think there are any places on the station the game doesn't send you into for one reason or another.

I think it doesn't send you to water treatment area. There are couple quests for it, but the starts for them are easy to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

I think it doesn't send you to water treatment area. There are couple quests for it, but the starts for them are easy to miss.

I think the only time you have to go into water treatment is when the door to the power plant is sealed by technopath magic, and you have to go into water treatment to kill it to proceed.