Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
What are the best god games out there? The list has to be bigger than Populous, the Black & Whites and Reus, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Chobayt posted:

What are the best god games out there? The list has to be bigger than Populous, the Black & Whites and Reus, right?

There's also "From Dust", "Doodle God" and "Godus"

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Are the civ games god games?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Looking for a game like Rust / ARK / 7 Days To Die. The kind where you can craft tools, go out and harvest resources, base build and survive. Preferably not in a spoopy setting. The Long Dark sorta is what I'm looking for, but not completely. I need me some good hatchet to the tree nourishment.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chobayt posted:

Populous: The Beginning still the pinnacle of the genre for me.

If we could get a remake that would be amazing but I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about this game except me and the somehow still active multiplayer community

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Q8ee posted:

Looking for a game like Rust / ARK / 7 Days To Die. The kind where you can craft tools, go out and harvest resources, base build and survive. Preferably not in a spoopy setting. The Long Dark sorta is what I'm looking for, but not completely. I need me some good hatchet to the tree nourishment.

Maybe not what you're looking for but Subnautica and No Man's Sky fit the bill, and Far Cry Primal survival mode is also a neat experience

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Maybe not what you're looking for but Subnautica and No Man's Sky fit the bill, and Far Cry Primal survival mode is also a neat experience

I'll get back into Subnautica. Been a drat long time since I've played that. No Man's Sky I'll pass. Gameplay isn't for me, far too repetitive.

Are there any good sports games for the PC? I bought NBA2k17 but it was utter garbage. Unskippable cutscenes, which ain't so bad apart from the fact there were 5 minute cutscenes NONSTOP. Fifa, I'm contemplating whether I'll get it or not. A basketball game or ice hockey game would be sick. I wanna start a team and build them up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Q8ee posted:

I'll get back into Subnautica. Been a drat long time since I've played that. No Man's Sky I'll pass. Gameplay isn't for me, far too repetitive.

Are there any good sports games for the PC? I bought NBA2k17 but it was utter garbage. Unskippable cutscenes, which ain't so bad apart from the fact there were 5 minute cutscenes NONSTOP. Fifa, I'm contemplating whether I'll get it or not. A basketball game or ice hockey game would be sick. I wanna start a team and build them up.

I'm looking for exactly the same thing, let me know if you find something worthwhile.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm looking for exactly the same thing, let me know if you find something worthwhile.

The tree cutting game, or the sports game? A friend recommended Madden, but it's only on PS4. If I find one, I'll let you know. Might just cave and get Fifa, but I've been spoiled with that game, since I've only ever played it with friends. won't feel right playing solo

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Q8ee posted:

The tree cutting game, or the sports game? A friend recommended Madden, but it's only on PS4. If I find one, I'll let you know. Might just cave and get Fifa, but I've been spoiled with that game, since I've only ever played it with friends. won't feel right playing solo

Sports games, sorry. I played the last Madden game made on pc (2008? can't remember) and it was great, a pity they are console-only these days. Anyone knows if Fifa is good? I played mostly the PES franchise and manager sims fon't scratch the same itch for me.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I've been using Pokemon Go as a "walk enhancer" but it's kind of annoying having to keep the screen on instead of turning off the phone and shoving it into a pocket. It also won't work on a treadmill because it goes off GPS instead of the accelerometer, and winter is almost here. Also there isn't a whole lot of depth to it.

Are there any new mobile apps that gamify walking? Literally just looking for a pedometer (or fitbit plugin) that will turn kms walked into progress quest level-up bars, with hopefully a nifty theme and some buttons and whistles to make it seem like it's got mechanics. "Treasure hunt" mechanics would be ideal.

I've played The Walk, Zombies: Run, Fitocracy, FitRPG (RIP), Ingress, and Pokemon Go obviously. Not really interested in the Pokemon Go clones since I may as well just keep playing Pokemon unless they do something actually innovative. I'm not sure that I could be any less interested in the Walking Dead version of Pokemon Go that's being hyped.

I'm surprised there aren't more options yet, especially with Pokemon being such a huge success despite being not very good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Decent normal (as in not mini-golf) golf game for PC? Looking for something that plays like Mario Golf did.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Trying to find a specific game I can't recall the name of.

City/colony builder where you play giant elemental God dudes that each terraform a spinning wheel earth that your colony settles atop each specific to their elemental theme. One is a rock dude, another water, the other maybe a tree. On PC came out within last 5 years. Colorful, your colony settles once certain requiements are meant they keep doing their own thing depending on how you terraform the land. You can walk left or right as the earth spins below you. There's desert, grass, & ice bio-mes I believe.

Thought the name sounded like "RiME" but that's another game. Ideas?

**EDIT** Reus is it below, thanks!

5thMouseButton fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 3, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

5thMouseButton posted:

Trying to find a specific game I can't recall the name of.

City/colony builder where you play giant elemental God dudes that each terraform a spinning wheel earth that your colony settles atop each specific to their elemental theme. One is a rock dude, another water, the other maybe a tree. On PC came out within last 5 years. Colorful, your colony settles once certain requiements are meant they keep doing their own thing depending on how you terraform the land. You can walk left or right as the earth spins below you. There's desert, grass, & ice bio-mes I believe.

Thought the name sounded like "RiME" but that's another game. Ideas?

Reus!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
i really want to play a plastic guitar game again. which one should i get

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

tinaun posted:

i really want to play a plastic guitar game again. which one should i get

Guitar Hero 2 had Jessica, that one was pretty good. I think it's for ps2

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Chinook posted:

Guitar Hero 2 had Jessica, that one was pretty good. I think it's for ps2

2 is definitely the one to get:
The Sword - Freya
Toadies - Possum Kingdom
Danzig - Mother
STP - Trippin on a hole in a paper heart
Rush - YYZ

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Q8ee posted:

The Forest?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/The_Forest/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Q8ee posted:

Go play UnReal World.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Time_pants posted:

The other recommendation I'm looking for is a side-scrolling action game in the vein of Castlevania: SotN. The new Dead Cells looks increasingly like the game to scratch that itch, but it's still in early access and, by all accounts, a long way off from completion. I've played the poo poo out of it and there just isn't enough there to really hold my attention because there's only two bosses and any given run lasts like five levels, tops. Both games--Dead Cells, especially--have fast-paced, high-impact combat that feels super satisfying. I adore games with a lot of weapon variety; Dead Cells especially has a ton of weapons that feel really unique and fundamentally change the way you play the game. Is there anything out there that fits the bill, or should I just wait for Dead Cells to be finished?

You could give Sundered a go. Not too much weapon variety, but it has an interesting upgrade system and meaty combat. It's also quite difficult.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This would be perfect but the horror aspect ruins it for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Go play UnReal World.

I've played that game to death and back, it's awesome.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My wife has played her way through almost all the big popular PS3 titles and I'm scrambling to find something else for her to play. She has played:
The Bioshocks
The Uncharteds
The Assassins Creeds
The Infamouses
The Batmans
The Last of Us
Heavy Rain
Dishonored

Things she likes: Relatable characters and stories that make her feel. Collectibles that give good rewards for tracking them down.
Favorites: The Last of Us and Infamous
Things she hates: RPGs, characters she thinks are douchebags. Also characters who swear too much. She made an exception for Last of Us because she really liked the characters.
Games she's dropped due to hating the main character: AC4, Prototype
I guarantee she's not going to like any GTA/Rockstar games because she doesn't like playing a criminal type (that's sort of why she hated AC4), plus they're pretty sweary.

Any suggestions?

Edit: and they've gotta be PS3

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Getsuya posted:

My wife has played her way through almost all the big popular PS3 titles and I'm scrambling to find something else for her to play. She has played:
The Bioshocks
The Uncharteds
The Assassins Creeds
The Infamouses
The Batmans
The Last of Us
Heavy Rain
Dishonored

Things she likes: Relatable characters and stories that make her feel. Collectibles that give good rewards for tracking them down.
Favorites: The Last of Us and Infamous
Things she hates: RPGs, characters she thinks are douchebags. Also characters who swear too much. She made an exception for Last of Us because she really liked the characters.
Games she's dropped due to hating the main character: AC4, Prototype
I guarantee she's not going to like any GTA/Rockstar games because she doesn't like playing a criminal type (that's sort of why she hated AC4), plus they're pretty sweary.

Any suggestions?

Edit: and they've gotta be PS3

I hereby suggest Life is Strange

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Would Life is Strange, The Talos Principle, or The Walking Dead Season 1 work? I know they're all quite a bit different gameplay-wise from everything on that list.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Life is Strange might work because she enjoyed Heavy Rain. I think Walking Dead might stress her out due to choosing who lives and dies etc, but it's worth a try. What's The Talos Principle like?

Edit: wait isn't Talos Principle PS4 only? I don't think it's PS3.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 5, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Journey was an amazing experience and it hit me right in the feelings, even if the story is barely there and the main character is a blank slate. It's hit and miss, though, because it's pretty different from everything else.

Portal 2 doesn't hit your likes or dislikes but it's a straight Good Game if she likes puzzles and witty dialogue.

Getsuya posted:

The Yakuza series. :colbert:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ooo she might really like Yakuza. I'll have to get 3 and see how it goes over. Wish 1 and 2 were on PS3 in English. Maybe we'll get Kiwami when we finally upgrade to PS4. I think she'd love Yakuza 3 due to all the orphanage stuff.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fat Samurai posted:

The Yakuza series. :colbert:

Does get pretty sweary, but characters are all aces and hard to dislike for the most part.

Can you clarify what specifically she doesn't like about RPGs? It's a pretty broad genre (a lot of people would classify BioShock as one, for instance though I suspect you mean jrpgs).

As for other suggestions, Dragon's Dogma is solid, although the characters can feel a little flat.

Sleeping Dogs is again, kind of profanity heavy, but with a strong story and likable characters (along with assholes that you get to punch.)

If you can get her out of her comfort zone enough to try a jrpg, personas 4 and 5 are both very strong story wise with atypical mechanics that might be more enjoyable for her, depending on what her complaints about the genre are.

The ratchet and clank games and sly Cooper series would also be strong suggestions,and you can get the earlier games remastered as collextions for ps3 if she didn't play them on ps2 already.

Finally, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's characters are actually suprisingly well written, and it has the absolute best final boss fight of any game I've ever played or seen.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I've never asked her specifically what she dislikes about JRPGs but she always just says 'Nah' when I suggest them.

I've tried to get her in to some of the Sly/Ratchet and Clank stuff but she doesn't seem interested. I believe she said she'd rather play stuff with mature stories so cartoony stuff doesn't interest her anymore.

Edit: judging by comments she's made I'd guess her problems with JRPGs are:
She doesn't like dealing with mechanics more complicated than simple weapon/ability upgrade menus
She has trouble connecting with characters who aren't like the kinds of people you'd find in American movies/TV shows
She doesn't like anime
She doesn't like not knowing how much health things have(? This is a direct quote)

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 5, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

What's The Talos Principle like?

Edit: wait isn't Talos Principle PS4 only? I don't think it's PS3.

There's a PS4 special edition, but the original game is available on PS3. It's a first-person puzzler. Humans have gone extinct and you're an AI wandering around the virtual reality of humanity's last time capsule, which takes the form of ancient ruins. There are lots of emails left behind by people coming to terms with the end, and message logs from the time capsule's chief designer who's struggling to complete it before her time runs out.

Another suggestion I just thought of--Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Finally, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance's characters are actually suprisingly well written, and it has the absolute best final boss fight of any game I've ever played or seen.

Revengeance is an okay action game with a storyline that has all the subtlety of an anvil smashing into your face repeatedly at mach speeds. Amazing soundtrack though.

If she likes more mature stories and The Feels, but isn't necessarily a big time gamer, she might appreciate This War of Mine. That's a recommendation I never thought I'd make...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Backhand posted:

Revengeance is an okay action game with a storyline that has all the subtlety of an anvil smashing into your face repeatedly at mach speeds. Amazing soundtrack though.

Oh, god, it makes Michael Bay look subtle. But the characters are still likable enough in a schlocky action film way.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Going to avoid digital games for now since I can't trade them back in if she hates them. I'm thinking:
Yakuza 3
Sleeping Dogs

Also considering:
The Saboteur
Metro
Any opinions on those two?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Saboteur was a fun game with some interesting mechanics when it came out, but it's a somewhat bland open world game by today's standards. Turning zones from black and white to color still feels very satisfying, but the rest of the game left almost no impression on me. Metro has a really great environment and atmosphere, but felt real janky to me.

Based on your list, the new Tomb Raiders might be up her alley.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

kedo posted:

Saboteur was a fun game with some interesting mechanics when it came out, but it's a somewhat bland open world game by today's standards. Turning zones from black and white to color still feels very satisfying, but the rest of the game left almost no impression on me. Metro has a really great environment and atmosphere, but felt real janky to me.

Based on your list, the new Tomb Raiders might be up her alley.

Oh yeah Tomb Raider would probably be right up her alley.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Oh, god, it makes Michael Bay look subtle. But the characters are still likable enough in a schlocky action film way.

best part is the main villain yelling about how he'll "Make America Great Again", in a game made in 2013

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I played Bloodbowl 2, it's great in some ways, but garbage in others. I hate the RNG, I'm not too fond of the slow turn-based style. Are there games that are a tad more realistic? Frozen Cortex is a game that pops to mind, I loved this to bits. It was great fun and is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm still really upset there's no recent Madden game on the PC.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Q8ee posted:

I played Bloodbowl 2, it's great in some ways, but garbage in others. I hate the RNG, I'm not too fond of the slow turn-based style. Are there games that are a tad more realistic? Frozen Cortex is a game that pops to mind, I loved this to bits. It was great fun and is exactly what I'm looking for.

Pyre is the best sports sim ever made, and is neither slow nor turn-based.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Q8ee posted:

Rocket League, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Pyre is the best sports sim ever made, and is neither slow nor turn-based.

Will give it a go, cheers man.

Really Pants posted:

Rocket League, maybe?

I love Rocket League, but this recommendation is way off.