Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You don't take the GRE, you take a test called the AFOQT...still a standardized test though. There are study books out there.

It doesn't technically matter what your degree is in. You aren't really competing for a job in that field, you're competing to become "an officer." The career field is selected (by the AF) later. However, if you've got a music degree from Jim Bob's College of Music and VCR Repair and the competition has an engineering degree from MIT, you might be at a disadvantage. There are generic requirements, but ultimately there are a lot of people applying for relatively few positions.

Edit: Everything Prop Wash said is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of our guys got a criminology degree, they were going to make him an ABM, but apparently he's a finance officer now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's...odd. ABM and Finance come through different boards. Finance and personnel were the fields they dumped people who failed the flight physical or UABMT, though. I assume they were all later force shaped, since that was only a couple of years before they were gutted.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's...odd. ABM and Finance come through different boards. Finance and personnel were the fields they dumped people who failed the flight physical or UABMT, though. I assume they were all later force shaped, since that was only a couple of years before they were gutted.
He was partially color blind so maybe that's it. He was still saying he was going to be an ABM when they released him to active duty so who knows.

He was a good guy. Having spent time on the enlisted side he tried explaining to some of his ROTC classmates that some of their ideas about "leadership" were going to make everyone hate them. He didn't make much of dent though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know it's not AF, but one of my navy pals was a high school band teacher before he got picked up for OCS. He's currently an O-3 coming up for O-4 soon, got a free master's degree while active, and got a $100k bonus just for doing the job he was going to do anyways.

The only time your degree matters when commissioning into any branch is if you're going into a specific community that requires expertise (doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc)

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
There is someone commissioned into the Air Force to tell you that if someone is wearing a ski mask and waving a flag with imam Ali's face on it to NOT get into their car.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cenen posted:

There is someone commissioned into the Air Force to tell you that if someone is wearing a ski mask and waving a flag with imam Ali's face on it to NOT get into their car.

Remember that being a colossal pain in the rear end to hotel staff enhances force protection.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ha, the Ramstein Commander's Challenge just popped up on the JQP feed. I wasn't planning on attending (I have this thing I do where I don't go to things like that) but, like, obviously the mission isn't going to implode because people take a day to have fun together. You wouldn't know that from the fever pitch of bitching and moaning on Facebook though! It's worth a look for all the incredible justifications people give for why they should care that other people are having fun (Marines don't do that, Robin Olds would hate it?, Chinese Air Force will somehow be stronger by briefing pictures of it?????)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, it looks like a lot of fun. Who doesn't like organized recess?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Or as I like to call it, "CENTCOM Overseas Contingency Operations, 2001-2017"

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

JQP got all his meaningful gripes out of the way in ~2013. Now it's just the morale police.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 7, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Arc Light posted:

JQP got all his the meaningful gripes out of the way in ~2013. Now it's just the morale police.

Mostly true. But you can't keep a site like that going with a story every 5 months.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Also it's not like any of his stories have any meaningful payoff.

Original story: Some O-6 just made an incredibly bad decision that ruined the careers of a dozen people, several agencies were complicit, base leadership swooped in and covered the whole thing up, and nothing has been done by the IG or any other agency

Follow-up, two years later: Yeah, still covered up

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you've got a fix for that, I'm sure a few people would be interested.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

JQP sometimes does good work but he's slowly turning into MilitaryCorruption.com guy. You'll wake up one day and his site will look like it's straight from 1996.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BadOptics posted:

Edit: Also, good luck on your PLDPs! :v:

:smithicide:

I don't know how much longer I can pretend to find value in the coursework.

At this point, my written assignments are just critiques of the factual inaccuracies of the course material. 90% of my last PLDP is pointing out what the OODA Loop was actually intended to be, rather than the weirdo circular management tool the Air Force tries to teach.

Trying to word criticism professionally enough to get passing grades is the only real challenge. Spite is the only thing that still motivates me.

Was NCOA ever good?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Forcing PME on everyone at every rank is a stupid, wasteful idea.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Arc Light posted:

:smithicide:

I don't know how much longer I can pretend to find value in the coursework.

At this point, my written assignments are just critiques of the factual inaccuracies of the course material. 90% of my last PLDP is pointing out what the OODA Loop was actually intended to be, rather than the weirdo circular management tool the Air Force tries to teach.

Trying to word criticism professionally enough to get passing grades is the only real challenge. Spite is the only thing that still motivates me.

Was NCOA ever good?

If it makes you feel any better, University of Florida teaches OODA loop for its management course. To add to that even more, all of the stuff I glanced over for course 15 reads almost exactly like my management course. I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote course 15 just copied straight out of some college business management course.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hamlet442 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, University of Florida teaches OODA loop for its management course. To add to that even more, all of the stuff I glanced over for course 15 reads almost exactly like my management course. I'm pretty sure that whoever wrote course 15 just copied straight out of some college business management course.

Copied? Or licensed for a tremendous amount of money and the promise of a job?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

I'm thinking rewritten to be generic enough so that some close-to-retirement SNCOs and officers can get high-ranking GS jobs permanently writing them without having to pay for material that already exists formally in college courses.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

It definitely felt like this. Tons of proprietary stuff just shoved into the chapters all willy-nilly.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Just in case you had any doubts about how badly AFPC is in panic mode over officer retention here you go:

Air Force announces 100 percent promotion opportunity to major

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
It's a trap.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Dude I went to college with got out like last year because he didn't make major.

Wonder how he feels about this.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe the AF decided to fix up or out by making everyone 100% get promoted

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In 10 years it'll be a 8 year career track to full bird

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
gently caress, I'd go back for a line number to Major and a guarantee that I will never be selected for AFPAK Hands.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I seriously had to look at the URL halfway through to see if it was a duffelblog work of art.

I'm absolutely blown away by this. The standards for commissioning through OTS are now higher than promotion to field grade.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Can't wait for that e-mail from AFPC accidentally promoting me from E-6 to O-4.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

I seriously had to look at the URL halfway through to see if it was a duffelblog work of art.

I'm absolutely blown away by this. The standards for commissioning through OTS are now higher than promotion to field grade.

Look if we just promote academy grads straight to brigadier we save a lot of pay over the years for an equal amount of competent officers

David Bowie Knife
May 22, 2010

KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME
:suicide::suicide::suicide:
KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME KILLMEME
I'm thinking about cross training to be a civilian next year, and I'm curious how the job market was for others who've separated. My career field is 1A3, which is basically airborne IT on my platform, I'll have my BS in Software Development by then, and my clearance should be renewed before my DOS too. I'll be at seven years, so this is the window to get out, if I decide to.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

get out bitch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

of the air force, not the thread

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Your degree is probably going to count for a lot more than your airborne experience. What platform? If you worked with JOVIAL or similar, you might luck into a sweet gig if the timing is right as something opens, but otherwise work that education.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Today I convinced an LT to listen to InfoWars, then mocked him for getting conspiracy theories wrong. CYBERCOM rules.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Godholio posted:

Your degree is probably going to count for a lot more than your airborne experience. What platform? If you worked with JOVIAL or similar, you might luck into a sweet gig if the timing is right as something opens, but otherwise work that education.

Please don't push someone into learning JOVIAL. Let that language die forever, please.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nah, that's just the language the outgoing AWACS computer speaks, and those are the only airborne computer dudes I've worked with. Now that I think about it, they don't do any programming or anything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Softface posted:

Today I convinced an LT to listen to InfoWars, then mocked him for getting conspiracy theories wrong. CYBERCOM rules.

Did you tell him that InfoWars is the name for a hostile nation's CYBERCOM/propaganda force? That should work on the next LT. Since the military is carrying on with its proud tradition of placing the truly stupid, or the truly ignorant, or both, into its junior officer slots.

• Locked thread