Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'm sure there's a way to beat that list, and maybe with repeated playings you could figure it out.

Why? That's not the kind of game 40k is? Like changing your list could work, but, that is just a different way of saying you lost during deployment. Which is what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
what, you mean you don't have a menagerie of 10,000 pts of models from which you can tailor the best army for any given comer/never have to run one that just can't win?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ANAmal.net posted:

I love the social and hobby aspects of it, and I'm gonna continue to slam ham with pals as long as I live, but almost every game I play I end up getting insanely mad over trivial bullshit, and the optics on that are not great.

I'm going to be honest- the issue is with you, not the game and the sooner you accept that the better. If you're blaming the game because you get upset over trivial bullshit, it doesn't matter if it's 40k, baseball, poker, or at your work- if you approach things that don't go your way with frustration and anger it'll lead to bad social relationships and higher stress levels.

Everyone has frustrating games, and on top of that frustrating events where poo poo just goes wrong.. but it's a game of tiny spacemen and the results of which are largely based on freakin' dice. Try and approach games as just bullshit where nothing matters, and if you need to, mentally remind yourself that it just doesn't matter what happens. If you lose every game, who cares? Just have fun losing.

However, here's a suggestion- play orks. Not because they're good, but because when things backfire you can just say it was meant to do that. Treat it with hilarity instead.

It's all about how you approach things.

- also maybe consider not drinking during the game and see if that helps.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
See a game as a way of story telling as opposed to a competitive event. Sure it's frustrating if you forget rules, that improves with experience as does tactical ability etc, but dice are always gonna gently caress you as often as they favour you in any dice driven system.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I've lost 99% of the games I've played over the past 18 years of gaming. I still love slamming hams because its all about hanging out with your buds and the small things, like watching perils of the warp rolls turn your plaguecaster into a suicide bomber

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
first rule of ham games: 2 hams enter, 1 ham wins.

No matter what you do, one of you is going to lose.

If you are playing to just to win, ... you are going to have a lot of bad games. Play to have fun, have funny memories, and have a cool looking army.

I still tell the story where the first time my buddy fought against Warp Spiders, and they attacked his battle wagon full of Orks. He said, "So I should just pour it out?" "Yeah, you kinda just need to pour it out." Thats just a silly memory from like 1995, of me thinking about a Battlewagon full of Ork soup.

Those memories are much more than me trying to figure out what my win-loss ratio is.

(Its mostly losses.)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 5, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I played against a local players Space Wolves army on Sunday. He wanted to use the open war cards, and I we pulled the Burn and Pillage card for objectives. I told him at the beginning of the match that I usually don't play for the objective because AdMech suck at getting to and taking them. I instead just go for killing as much stuff as possible. Basically, I just found a way to play the game that I would enjoy.

This game can be incredibly frustrating at times, but I think it's important to remember it is just a game. Focus on the awesome, epic moments that happen on the board, hopefully your opponent is a cool dude and slam dem hams.

Speaking of that game, my opponent had a really cool light rig and hi res camera so here's my boys at work:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

I played against a local players Space Wolves army on Sunday. He wanted to use the open war cards, and I we pulled the Burn and Pillage card for objectives. I told him at the beginning of the match that I usually don't play for the objective because AdMech suck at getting to and taking them. I instead just go for killing as much stuff as possible. Basically, I just found a way to play the game that I would enjoy.

This game can be incredibly frustrating at times, but I think it's important to remember it is just a game. Focus on the awesome, epic moments that happen on the board, hopefully your opponent is a cool dude and slam dem hams.

Speaking of that game, my opponent had a really cool light rig and hi res camera so here's my boys at work:

goddamn that knight is amazing

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is cool, great shots of hams.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I saw those pictures on Instagram and thought that Knight looked familiar.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

koreban posted:

If you fall back, you have to end your movement outside of 1" from your opponent's models. If they bubble wrap you such that you can't possibly move/rotate and create a 1" gap, you can't fall back and will remain in close combat.

Yeah, it had Possessed in front and Kharn behind, so I tried to spin the thing to get it an inch away from both. All of them were stuck in some terrain (which, hilariously, if I hadn't built the thing with some decorative trees on the sidewalk, I could have edged the Rhino out of there, so I doubly hosed myself). I wanted it out of assault so I could shoot at Kharn before he murdered everything, and it was so close to working, and would have ruled, but welp.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I've lost 99% of the games I've played over the past 18 years of gaming. I still love slamming hams because its all about hanging out with your buds and the small things, like watching perils of the warp rolls turn your plaguecaster into a suicide bomber

Oh the social side of it kicks rear end, and I love looking at a table full of mans. I'm just very bad at the game itself, to the point where the actual act of playing 40k is the least-enjoyable part of the ham slam. I'd almost rather let someone else use my army so I can ignore the strategy and dice parts, to just rag on people and take photos. It probably helps that I only ever slam hams at my house, so I can focus on hosting events rather than playing in them.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm going to be honest- the issue is with you, not the game and the sooner you accept that the better.

However, here's a suggestion- play orks. Not because they're good, but because when things backfire you can just say it was meant to do that. Treat it with hilarity instead.

I mean, definitely, it's not a problem with the game (at least not anymore, back in 7th I would have argued that the game itself was trash as well).

Also, hilariously, I picked up Orks for that exact reason. I never played with them, so I gave the army to a friend, who proceeded to punch my dick inside out during the game in question with my own goddamn models.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 5, 2017

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Anybody played Deathwatch since 8th dropped? Curious how they're fairing. Probably gonna take mine and get stomped by my old roommates Skitarii.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've committed so hard to the idea of "Orks are meant for fun, not for winning", I'm genuinely considering using the true arbiter of hilarity: The Shokk Attack Gun.

Shame it doesn't occasionally fire the Mek at the target anymore.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bombogenesis posted:

Anybody played Deathwatch since 8th dropped? Curious how they're fairing. Probably gonna take mine and get stomped by my old roommates Skitarii.

They're still good just dont benefit from the current codex which sucks. Theyre still customizable as gently caress.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I took my Deathwatch to Nova. They did pretty well, although I got megastomped by a triple tag team of Anngath the Unbound, a Greater Brass Scorpion, and a Kytan Demon Engine all in my face on turn one. Deathwatch are extremely expensive, to the point where I want to make some Deathwatch Intercessors just to get cheap bodies on the field. If you're playing with power levels, a 5 man kill team is 9 Power, mostly because they have to go between a 100 point bolter chainsword squad and 4 30 point Frag Cannons with a TH/SS sarge squad.

There's not much they can do that regular marines can't right now. Special ammo is the only gimmick and while it's cool, they desperately need some cost cutting.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Is there any word on the timeline for a new CWE codex? It's pretty much my timeline to start back up again.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Boon posted:

Is there any word on the timeline for a new CWE codex? It's pretty much my timeline to start back up again.

They said Eldar and Tyranids and Guard would all be out "before the end of November" but no more specific than that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Boon posted:

You should have been at Nova again! They announced it there. Looks like October.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

The molds themselves for injection molding are crazy expensive, and they do wear out eventually.

That being said, GW does have higher prices than other companies that do injection molding.

This is way late, but consider the fact that GW now does its casting in the UK, unlike everyone else who does their casting in China. This means GW has to actually pay everyone in the chain a living wage, rather than just the sculptor. Years ago, I worked in a machine shop for a short time, and the guy who came in for a couple of hours a week to program the CNC machine that cut steel blocks into parts or molds or whatever made more money in those few hours than I did in two weeks.

I'm not justifying GW pricing, by any stretch, but at least now, a bit more money is going toward labor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I took my Deathwatch to Nova. They did pretty well, although I got megastomped by a triple tag team of Anngath the Unbound, a Greater Brass Scorpion, and a Kytan Demon Engine all in my face on turn one. Deathwatch are extremely expensive, to the point where I want to make some Deathwatch Intercessors just to get cheap bodies on the field. If you're playing with power levels, a 5 man kill team is 9 Power, mostly because they have to go between a 100 point bolter chainsword squad and 4 30 point Frag Cannons with a TH/SS sarge squad.

There's not much they can do that regular marines can't right now. Special ammo is the only gimmick and while it's cool, they desperately need some cost cutting.

How was the competitive scene? What ended up winning?

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is way late, but consider the fact that GW now does its casting in the UK, unlike everyone else who does their casting in China. This means GW has to actually pay everyone in the chain a living wage, rather than just the sculptor. Years ago, I worked in a machine shop for a short time, and the guy who came in for a couple of hours a week to program the CNC machine that cut steel blocks into parts or molds or whatever made more money in those few hours than I did in two weeks.

I'm not justifying GW pricing, by any stretch, but at least now, a bit more money is going toward labor.

I suspect that China doesn't have the capability to produce to the level of quality that GW is doing. This isn't some kind of dig at Chinese manufacturing; it's just that GW has a ridiculously niche application and they have spent literally decades perfecting every aspect of their process.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect that China doesn't have the capability to produce to the level of quality that GW is doing. This isn't some kind of dig at Chinese manufacturing; it's just that GW has a ridiculously niche application and they have spent literally decades perfecting every aspect of their process.
I don't know about that - I'm sure all of the machinery is made in China, so they are on equal footing there. I'm sure it's entirely possible that programmers over there aren't up to snuff (yet) but I think it's more likely that GW chose to control the process due to 1) cost; and 2) piracy. It's only been very recently that their plastics have been done in the UK. China is the main reason the cost of mold making has gone from hundreds of thousands of dollars per mold to tens of thousands.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How was the competitive scene? What ended up winning?

Oh, I was doing the Narrative, but I did look around the GT. It appears that Kromlech has made lots of money selling Brimstone Horrors and Mangus is more popular that Gulliman.

The winner was Andrew Gonyo with a poo poo ton of Conscripts and Psykers:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oh, I was doing the Narrative, but I did look around the GT. It appears that Kromlech has made lots of money selling Brimstone Horrors and Mangus is more popular that Gulliman.

It was at least an army unlike flier and character spam, which is nice.

The army in play from about the 4 hour mark if you're curious.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
It was basically unheard of for any Imperial Army to not have conscripts and have anything near a winning record. BCP app has all the list from NOVA if anyone really wants to know specifics.

It is interesting to note that Gonyo's was the closest thing to non-spam, he has screening units, high-volume anti-infantry in the form of Taurox, Psykers, Deepstriking plasma, LoS ignoring artillery. Guard are in a prime spot to really cover all the bases.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think I saw these as a featured post on my instagram recommendations, great models, really like the clean panels on the walkers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RagnarokAngel posted:

They're still good just dont benefit from the current codex which sucks. Theyre still customizable as gently caress.

They're a bit better now that GW errata'd them to be able to take all Primaris unit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know about that - I'm sure all of the machinery is made in China, so they are on equal footing there. I'm sure it's entirely possible that programmers over there aren't up to snuff (yet) but I think it's more likely that GW chose to control the process due to 1) cost; and 2) piracy. It's only been very recently that their plastics have been done in the UK. China is the main reason the cost of mold making has gone from hundreds of thousands of dollars per mold to tens of thousands.

You're a bit off the mark there I think. They've been making the bulk of the plastics in Lenton forever. As far as I know the crown jewels of GW, the actual plastic army units, never went to China. Their simpler/bulkier scenery stuff was (may still) be made there. It came pre-clipped from the sprue and was a more brittle feeling plastic. They also experimented with making some FW kits there I believe, but they stopped that. They definitely still print books in China, but that's irrelevant.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I saw those pictures on Instagram and thought that Knight looked familiar.

Immanentized posted:

I think I saw these as a featured post on my instagram recommendations, great models, really like the clean panels on the walkers

Oh rad! Yeah, we both posted them up on IG. I'm on there as @_wash_ and the wolves player (who you all should check out. He's got one of the best looking Space Wolves armies I've ever seen, and he posts a lot of how to guides) is on there as @LoneWolf40k.

Speaking of IG, any of you goons on there that post a lot of stuff of your armies? I'd love to follow you dorks.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

!Klams posted:

Why? That's not the kind of game 40k is? Like changing your list could work, but, that is just a different way of saying you lost during deployment. Which is what happened.

I want to reply to this, but I cannot parse what this says.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Sex Cannon posted:

"Get mad or stay bad"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You're a bit off the mark there I think. They've been making the bulk of the plastics in Lenton forever. As far as I know the crown jewels of GW, the actual plastic army units, never went to China. Their simpler/bulkier scenery stuff was (may still) be made there. It came pre-clipped from the sprue and was a more brittle feeling plastic. They also experimented with making some FW kits there I believe, but they stopped that. They definitely still print books in China, but that's irrelevant.

Really? I could have sworn that the plastics were made in China and that they only moved in house recently... Maybe you're right and I'm just thinking about the terrain.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Sex Cannon posted:

I think hes trying to say nothing could have prevented what happened there. Which im not sure i agree with I just dont know enough about Tau to say what.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Sex Cannon posted:

I think he's trying to say that you shoudln't have to try new stuff or list tailor to beat it, and that ideally your take all comers list should have a chance. I cuold be wrong though.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I have successfully organised a 2000 point game for tomorrow (against tau) and I was wondering if people could suggest how I finish off this list:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [75 PL, 1392pts] ++

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 113pts]: Witchblade

Warlock [3 PL, 37pts]: Witchblade

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders [8 PL, 185pts]: 20x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Bright Lance

Guardian Defenders [4 PL, 80pts]: 10x Guardian Defender

Rangers [5 PL, 100pts]: 5x Ranger

+ Elites +

Fire Dragons [12 PL, 144pts]
. 5x Fire Dragon: 5x Fusion Gun
. Fire Dragon Exarch: Dragon's Breath Flamer

Wraithguard [10 PL, 200pts]: Wraithcannon, 5x Wraithguard

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [9 PL, 174pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Aeldari Missile Launcher

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 172pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Spirit Stones, Twin Bright Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 187pts]: Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Twin Starcannon

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [23 PL, 355pts] ++

+ HQ +

Warlock [3 PL, 37pts]: Witchblade

+ Fast Attack +

Swooping Hawks [10 PL, 126pts]
. 6x Swooping Hawk: 6x Lasblaster
. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Hawk's Talon, Power sword

Windriders [5 PL, 96pts]
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon: 3x Shuriken Cannon

Windriders [5 PL, 96pts]
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon: 3x Shuriken Cannon

++ Total: [98 PL, 1747pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Options I have available:
- the avatar (worried that there are no relevant targets in tau - anything he wants to melee can just jet away)
- an autarch with wings.
- howling banshees (can muster full squad)
- scorpions (up to 6 I think)
- wraithlords (up to 2)
- a vyper

Unfortunately I don't think I have quite enough time to finish the repairs on my third wave serpent, otherwise I'd definitely tick the 20 guardian squad down to make room for a big banshee squad in the serpent. I technically have dire avengers and a falcon, but they're so comically overcosted I can't really see using them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

I had a game like this at NOVA. No supremacy armor, but pretty much the same everywhere else. I quit on turn 2. He had stealthsuits, and they can drop homing beacons that let battlesuits deep strike within 1" of my dudes. I did not know this was a thing, so I really lost the game in the deployment phase. His turn one destroyed 700-800 points, and he combat locked everything else that could have done anything. It was not a fun game, not even a little bit.

I played the same guy and had the same experience. When I asked him what I could have done differently to actually stand a chance after the game, he just shrugged.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

SRM and I were talking to someone who knew him better and apparently he was just largely making up rules or conveniently​ forgetting rules when they didn't suit him, so you'll definitely have to know what his poo poo does.

Yeah, in the Apoc game I went over with him to check what his poo poo does the moment it shot at my stuff. Glad I did, since a lot of those 72" S7 AP-2 weapons he was trying to shoot at me were more like heavy bolters than anything else.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Really? I could have sworn that the plastics were made in China and that they only moved in house recently... Maybe you're right and I'm just thinking about the terrain.

I have boxes going back to 1995 and earlier that say "Made in UK", as far as I know they've never done much outside of terrain and maybe poo poo like Battlemasters in China.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

badcast bad boyz for life

ANAmal.net posted:

Anyway, I'm a badcast badboy now. :getin:
The right forced decision

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yep. Some of their printing is even done in the UK, they seem to only outsource the hardcover stuff that would be horrendously expensive. Or maybe they mix it up, but some of my soft rulebooks for things have said Printed in the UK.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, it had Possessed in front and Kharn behind, so I tried to spin the thing to get it an inch away from both. All of them were stuck in some terrain (which, hilariously, if I hadn't built the thing with some decorative trees on the sidewalk, I could have edged the Rhino out of there, so I doubly hosed myself). I wanted it out of assault so I could shoot at Kharn before he murdered everything, and it was so close to working, and would have ruled, but welp.

Nothing was going to stop Kharn from wrecking all your dumb poo poo

Also, Fuckbois Rule

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
^^^This guy gets it.

SRM posted:

I played the same guy and had the same experience. When I asked him what I could have done differently to actually stand a chance after the game, he just shrugged.

So generally, for my Steel legion, I employ the Parking Lot Deployment System. It is useful for aura abilities, easy to screen and fun to have on the table. I used this during our game thinking that the infantry screen was voluminous enough to keep meltas far away. I did not know that Stealth Suits effectively ignored screens, and since he got the first turn, there was nothing I could do. In our next game, I will spread out all of my killy stuff. Think more of a [url="https:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wFxuuG-y0"]Long Line of (Reasonably Spaced-Out) Cars[/url] Deployment System. The secret to winning games with IG in against elite armies (*there are exceptions to this, I'll touch on that later) is that, yeah, they might pack a punch, but they can't take out everything with their alpha. I've specifically learned last weekend that IG totally owns the later turns. So let's go with this Tau player's stuff:

4 fusion gun commanders are scary, but if my tanks are spread out far enough, then his chances of killing or combat locking enough of them are nil. Sure he'll have 3 or 4 scary guys with drones all up in my poo poo, but it's reasonable to think that I'll have more than enough lasguns to kill drones, and other poo poo to kill commanders like smite and character charges. After that it's all down to attrition, and that's the type of game where IG excels. Especially if he's drone heavy (like this guy was) because they're easy to kite. When I get a rematch against this guy, I'll let everyone know what happens!

*The best exception to this I can think of is Khorne Berzerkers. They're so good at killing outsized amounts of anything, it doesn't matter if there are fewer 'zerkers than guardsmen. That's not to say they can't be beaten, but if you're not careful with your positioning, it can go real bad, real quick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

berzerkmonkey posted:

The machine is just an injection system, and those are pretty common. It's the process of making and designing the mold, and the plastic, that really determines performance. You have to know how to properly design the gates and vents while ensuring that the part itself doesn't warp or deform while it shrinks during the cooling. Meanwhile the mold itself has to be fabricated to an insane level of tolerance and surface finish. The kind of requirements that GW has just aren't that commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Gonyo knows his poo poo so no surprise there. I wonder what, if anything, GW has planned to address the prevalence of Smite spam.