Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

It's a slam poetry TED talk about how great capitalism has been for Detroit, Detroit needs more capitalists

Now it's slam poetry featuring old Little Caesars taglines, and I'm not joking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ugh I'd kill for AA on the Rangers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dear Bruins Management: Give Pastrnak 64 million bucks over the next 8 years already, for fucks sake

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Rick Snyder is being thanked for all he has done to make Michigan a "healthy Michigan".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao the wings are going to miss the playoffs for a loving decade and drive that city all the further into debt thanks to illich

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Didn't someone post that the bare minimum offer sheet that the Wings can't match within the cap would only cost a team a 2nd round pick? What was the cost, something like $4M? I forget.

What teams have the space to throw $4M at AA, and have the need for him?

E: Looked it up, it's $1.9 to $3.9M, compensation would be a second rounder.

In what world is AA worth 3.9M and a second round pick? He's a good player, but he's a 24 year old middle 6, likely bottom 6, player who shot 15% last season. I get why the Wings should sign him (they have nothing else) but why would anyone else? Every team has their own marginal NHLers to give ice time to. Hell, the bad teams able to give this guy the ice time to succeed might be able to make a trade with their second round pick to get a better player than AA anyway, if that's the route they wanted to take.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Dear Bruins Management: Give Pastrnak 64 million bucks over the next 8 years already, for fucks sake

On the other hand, this would worry me a bit more given Boston's history of selling off young talent.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think right now your best bet is hoping that Pastrnak doesn't sign because Bruins MO is to get into a financial disagreement with their young star, sign them long term and then trade them in a huff the following summer because they decided that a guy under 30 asking to be paid what they're worth is outlandishly arrogant and they wear their team hats backwards.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 5, 2017

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jordan7hm posted:

In what world is AA worth 3.9M and a second round pick? He's a good player, but he's a 24 year old middle 6, likely bottom 6, player who shot 15% last season. I get why the Wings should sign him (they have nothing else) but why would anyone else? Every team has their own marginal NHLers to give ice time to. Hell, the bad teams able to give this guy the ice time to succeed might be able to make a trade with their second round pick to get a better player than AA anyway, if that's the route they wanted to take.

On the other hand, this would worry me a bit more given Boston's history of selling off young talent.

My list of reasons for wanting an offersheet for AA is a short one.

1) I want to see an offersheet in the NHL.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ThinkTank posted:

I think right now your best bet is hoping that Pastrnak doesn't sign because Bruins MO is to get into a financial disagreement with their young star, sign them long term and then trade them in a huff the following summer because they decided that a guy under 30 asking to be paid what they're worth is outlandishly arrogant.

Round these parts we call that "The Full Hossa".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I think right now your best bet is hoping that Pastrnak doesn't sign because Bruins MO is to play contract chicken with their young star, sign them long term and then trade them in a huff the following summer because they decided that a guy under 30 asking to be paid what they're worth is outlandishly arrogant.

And if he takes a step back, which wouldn't really be that unexpected, after signing that big contract... could be bad.

Rotten Cookies posted:

My list of reasons for wanting an offersheet for AA is a short one.

1) I want to see an offersheet in the NHL.
acceptable

I want to see a Canadian RFA sign in the KHL.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

O'Reilly and Giordano?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

O'Reilly and Giordano?

O'Reilly was on his third team and was just making the logical "you're not an NHLer, try Europe" move that a lot of guys make.

Giordano counts I guess. That was a long time ago though.

Speaking of Cal, he put up some legit NHL prospect type numbers in the AHL as a youngster. Wonder what happened to his game.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Jordan7hm posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/905059673614815233

Jordan7hm posted:

O'Reilly was on his third team and was just making the logical "you're not an NHLer, try Europe" move that a lot of guys make.

Wrong O'Reilly

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Giordano counts I guess. That was a long time ago though.

I was talking about Ryan O'Reilly. He held out from the Avs and signed in Russia (which also happened to be the lockout year where a bunch of guys went to Europe too). He played the whole season there, and his holdout didn't end until Feaster signed him to that hilarious offer sheet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I was talking about Ryan O'Reilly. He held out from the Avs and signed in Russia (which also happened to be the lockout year where a bunch of guys went to Europe too). He played the whole season there, and his holdout didn't end until Feaster signed him to that hilarious offer sheet.

Eh, I don't think that counts. Everyone knew a lockout was coming.

e: that offer sheet was so good though

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

He actually bailed from the KHL pretty early https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ryan-o-reilly-metallurg-terminate-khl-contract-deal-152840344--nhl.html

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jordan7hm posted:

dude's numbers aren't "marginal"

I wouldn't give him $3.9 mill but if Detroit was dumb I'd happily give up Holden and a 3rd for him to center the Rangers 3rd line

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He signed a two year deal with an out-clause initially. He blew out his knee and went home eventually, but it was unrelated to his contract situation. He played several games in Russia after the lockout ended, which is why he would've had to pass through waivers for the Flames to sign him to that offer sheet. He wasn't just another guy that signed in Europe while the league was locked out.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Reminder that the Flames didn't know that if Colorado hadn't matched Calgary would have to give up the compensation and still put O'Reilly on waivers because he played in Russia after the NHL season started.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

He signed a two year deal with an out-clause initially. He wasn't just another guy that signed in Europe while the league was locked out.

The fact he knew there was a lockout that might last the entire season had to play into his deal though.

Just like the fact the Olympics are going to happen without NHLers is going to play into any KHL deals being used as leverage this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Reminder that the Flames didn't know that if Colorado hadn't matched Calgary would have to give up the compensation and still put O'Reilly on waivers because he played in Russia after the NHL season started.

This and the time the Blackhawks nearly lost all their RFAs because they mailed their qualifying offers instead of faxing them are the two funniest managerial blunders in recent history.

Benning talking about how he was trying to get Stamkos and Subban while they were still under contract with their old teams, getting fined for tampering and then totally striking out on both the trade and free agent front that summer was great too.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

If Michigan elects Kid Rock as Senator, they deserve all the bad things happening to them.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I think right now your best bet is hoping that Pastrnak doesn't sign because Bruins MO is to get into a financial disagreement with their young star, sign them long term and then trade them in a huff the following summer because they decided that a guy under 30 asking to be paid what they're worth is outlandishly arrogant and they wear their team hats backwards.

What's actually going to happen is they'll get him to do a bridge deal, he will continue to rip poo poo up playing on arguably the most dominant line in the NHL, and they'll end up having to give him even more money.

I was upset when Kessel got traded but that sort of made sense at the time from a financial standpoint, the Seguin trade pissed me off but I think it happened on the 4th of July so I was too drunk to care really, and I never really liked Hamilton all that much so I wasn't that broken up about him going, but if they trade Pastrnak before he turns 25 on top of all that I would probably stop being a fan and just become a fan of whoever Pasta gets traded to.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yellowcar posted:

If Michigan elects Kid Rock as Senator, they deserve all the bad things happening to them.

Yeah. Gonna agree on this one.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

yellowcar posted:

Michigan isn't going to elect Kid Rock as senator. He isn't planning on running.

This whole thing is, as of now, a publicity stunt so he can get criticized, so he can claim 'fake news' and that the media is attacking him.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

On the other hand, Michigan went to Trump.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

yellowcar posted:

On the other hand, Michigan went to Trump.

Don't get mad at Michigan because Clinton never bothered to set foot in the state during her campaign.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

but if they trade Pastrnak before he turns 25 on top of all that I would probably stop being a fan and just become a fan of whoever Pasta gets traded to.

In the year of the monkeys paw youre really going to make this argument? You know he will end up in Montreal now that youve said this, right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Furnaceface posted:

In the year of the monkeys paw youre really going to make this argument? You know he will end up in Montreal now that youve said this, right?

well I already said it and I refuse to back down now

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stiev Awt posted:

Don't get mad at Michigan because Clinton never bothered to set foot in the state during her campaign.

Can you blame her? Who the hell wants to go to Michigan

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Can you blame her? Who the hell wants to go to Michigan

Someone who understand what the electoral college is!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
please stop talking about politics in my safe space, the hockey thread, where i talk about hockey and how much i hate my own team

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

please stop talking about politics in my safe space, the hockey thread, where i talk about hockey and how much i hate my own team

I like my hockey team quite a bit. It's a weird place to be in let me tell you.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Bernie Nicholls Would've Won.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

what about the politics of a pastrnak-jumbo trade

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'd rather the Islanders or Rangers send a $3.9M offersheet to AA than see politics in here.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'd rather be watching hockey.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Stiev Awt posted:

what about the politics of a pastrnak-jumbo trade

i would loving kill myself, much like...uhhh....hilary in the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

Bernie Nicholls Would've Won.

I remember my brother forged Bernie Nichols' autograph and tried to sell it when he was maybe 12. The card shop owner laughed at him.

That's my my story about Bernie Nichols.

• Locked thread