Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thanks, I'll burn through my soul items to get closer to everyone else.

Another question, does giving the Fire Keeper the eyes have any downside/lock you out of anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Another question, does giving the Fire Keeper the eyes have any downside/lock you out of anything?

Gives the option for different endings.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
What's the easiest and most intuitive to play for a first playthrough out of pyro/faith/sorc? I'm coming off of Dark Souls where I tried to play with sorcery but missed important NPCs that sell you spells and ended up restarting after never finding out where to buy more. I'm not one to play this kind of game with a checklist or guide open, I want to be blind.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HydeLyde posted:

What's the easiest and most intuitive to play for a first playthrough out of pyro/faith/sorc? I'm coming off of Dark Souls where I tried to play with sorcery but missed important NPCs that sell you spells and ended up restarting after never finding out where to buy more. I'm not one to play this kind of game with a checklist or guide open, I want to be blind.

Pyromancy by far. Be sure to explore thoroughly though; it's possible to miss all the spell merchants and spell books if you aren't making an effort to explore everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HydeLyde posted:

Pyro, but you will need to do some looking around to find the trainer. Sorcery doesn't get good until late game and miracles don't get good until the very end.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

holy moly, when did From fix the matchmaking error with swamp dogs and blue cops? I was one of the people for which those auto-summon defense covenants just did not work, from launch all the way thru Ringed City. then, I start playing a new character this weekend after not having touched DS3 for a few months, and I put on the swamp dog badge for funsies and all the sudden I get "you are being summoned as an invader"!

low level swamp PVP is my jam. level 25 / +2 weapon gets almost constant hits during peak hours, enough that I have to take off the swamp dog badge immediately after an invasion if I need to swap gear around or go back to firelink.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
When I start DS3 in windows mode and I have it favorited in Borderless Gaming, it always crashes while the window is still grey before anything loads. If I unfavorite it I can manually make it borderless after the game is fully loaded and it's fine. But I'm wondering is there some way to get it to go borderless windows automatically?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Host. Wesley mentioned. And Crusher found WHOA

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
So just starting out soon, out of the available options, I'm primarily a "likes long weapons and low weight" kinda person. Spears, polearms, rapiers, straight swords with a good thrust, bows, greatbows. What's a good amount of endurance and vitality to be sinking in, especially considering I was looking at getting some utility spells like Repair, Light, Magic Shield, etc? probably going for 120, assuming that's the meta build level to stop at.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Well I don't usually plan a build out to maximum level, but for me at least the answers are:

Vitality -- only get enough to keep you under 70% equipment weight. There's no hidden bonus to this stat, no "adaptability" iFrame bonuses in DS3. You could stop at Vit 16 and use light/medium armor, a 1-hand sword and a shield.
Endurance -- again, as much as you want really, doesn't soft cap until 40 and you start getting 3 Endurance per stat point which is nice http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Endurance

The best answer is read the wiki if you want to minmax I suppose.

Vigor -- At least 27, which gives you a solid 1000HP and HP gain after 27 starts to dip (although can still be useful to keep pumping)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Host. Wesley mentioned. And Crusher found WHOA

:stare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Unknown Quantity posted:

So just starting out soon, out of the available options, I'm primarily a "likes long weapons and low weight" kinda person. Spears, polearms, rapiers, straight swords with a good thrust, bows, greatbows. What's a good amount of endurance and vitality to be sinking in, especially considering I was looking at getting some utility spells like Repair, Light, Magic Shield, etc? probably going for 120, assuming that's the meta build level to stop at.

40 is the magic number as ever for Vigor, Endurance, and Dexterity. Vitality is 'as much as it takes to have 70% equip weight', which if you're using fairly light equipment should be your starting default. 15/18 INT will let you use most of the cool utility spells. Starting as Knight is probably the best choice just because of how the stats fall.
I recommend trying to farm a Lothric Knight Sword from the appropriate caped knights on the High Wall; it's the equivalent to the Balder Side Sword in this game. High DEX scaling, long blade, thrust-based R2s. The Estoc is also a great choice. Spears are pretty mediocre except for Pikes, but you need to use them 2-handed or they suck.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Halberds are pretty decent, the problem is the really good ones are in very late or endgame (Black Knight, Ringed Knight and Splitleaf, or the Dragonslayer ones if you're faith).
Repair isn't needed in this game, I've never noticed going below 50% on my weapons, but the rest are pretty interesting.

I still insist that 27 Vigor is "good enough", though. 40 is good, but if you can't spare the points, then keep it at 27, which is when it starts getting diminishing returns, even if you still get a decent chunk of extra hp from 28-40.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Unknown Quantity posted:

if you really want to look like a flippy ninja, make sure you spec your stats to use the wolf knight greatsword or the farron greatsword because those both have WA that let you spin around and flip attack. I don't know how effective they are to use but they look drat fine in motion. katanas are also decent for a light armor person because they tend to weigh very little and in pvp they have hitboxes that seem to be longer than the visual display of the weapon.

repair and light and magic shield will likely never get used unless you're purposely going to use them to challenge yourself. the basic torch is all the illumination you need, plus it can be used to remove bleeding leeches if you get some on you (your first time thru the cathedral you definitely will). sorcery casting in general isn't great if you're just trying to dip your toe into it; you've either got to spec deep into an INT build or else ignore it. pyromancy, on the other hand, works just fine with minimal/no stat investment, and you can get the "good" spells for it much sooner than with sorcery.

also, there's no real reason to care about a specific SL build unless you really really really want to do arena PVP or fight clubs in irithyll. if you're just going to play the game through to see all the single player content, your SL really won't matter; unless you do some very boring grinding, you're not likely to finish your first NG much past level 90.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I recommend trying to farm a Lothric Knight Sword from the appropriate caped knights on the High Wall; it's the equivalent to the Balder Side Sword in this game. High DEX scaling, long blade, thrust-based R2s. The Estoc is also a great choice. Spears are pretty mediocre except for Pikes, but you need to use them 2-handed or they suck.
spears are good though! good reach, decent AR, pretty good+not slow moveset. as before, my recommendation is a saint bident, though you really want to make that dark and that requires a faith/int build. so probably lothric knight spear or partizan.

even 4-pronged plow is pretty good if you want to be a filthy peasant.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

IronicDongz posted:

even 4-pronged plow is pretty good if you want to be a filthy peasant.

Oh hell yeah I'm now doing a proletariat character as my next run :newdanger:

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Pyromancy by far. Be sure to explore thoroughly though; it's possible to miss all the spell merchants and spell books if you aren't making an effort to explore everything.

As long as they aren't in a barrel this time :negative:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Thanks for a lot of the answers. I thought about sorceries because back in Demon's Souls I was a Phosphorescent Pole junkie, using it + Fragrant Ring to keep Warding up forever. Dark souls 1 I was all about the Silver Knight Spear and Black Knight Halberd (I later tried a wizard run, having to fight Kalameet with the base stats needed for obsidian GS and no Enchanted weapon when I was going to CMW OGS. Ask me about shotgunning the tail off.) and latched onto the Dragonslayer Greatbow as a fun toy to initiate fights with and then immediately unequip once they're within fighting distance. Dark Souls 2 I was disappointed by spears (Santier's Spear is not a spear, it's a polearm), and I eventually found my niche in dual Old Whips, later dual Poison Spotted Whips. Bloodborne...I never could quite find the right weapon for me, although Beast Cutter and Hunter Axe came very close. Did manage to Platinum it, though!

Anyway, so there you have it. I like long-reach weapons and being agile, and usually initiating fights by shooting something and smacking it from outside its effective range. Can't get smacked off a ledge if it can't smack you! :v: Magic meanwhile for me is more about utility than anything else, meant to supplement this cowardly defensive playstyle. Fall Control, Homeward, etc.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Oh hell yeah I'm now doing a proletariat character as my next run :newdanger:

Trying to do a Shotel and Blacksmith's Hammer run in DS2 was just the biggest disappointment for me.

You'd have thought that combo would actually work decently in combat (fast shield-bypassing Dex weapon paired with poise-smashing Str weapon) instead of just being a meme but... it doesn't. The DPS just isn't there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Sapozhnik posted:

Trying to do a Shotel and Blacksmith's Hammer run in DS2 was just the biggest disappointment for me.

You'd have thought that combo would actually work decently in combat (fast shield-bypassing Dex weapon paired with poise-smashing Str weapon) instead of just being a meme but... it doesn't. The DPS just isn't there.

Wouldn't that just be a quality build with the DEX/STR split across two weapons, aka a terrible quality build?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

Anyway, so there you have it. I like long-reach weapons and being agile, and usually initiating fights by shooting something and smacking it from outside its effective range. Can't get smacked off a ledge if it can't smack you! :v: Magic meanwhile for me is more about utility than anything else, meant to supplement this cowardly defensive playstyle. Fall Control, Homeward, etc.

Might I be able to interest you in the Pyromancer Lifestyle? You lob fire like grenades to stagger fools and then finish them off with poking.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

doingitwrong posted:

Might I be able to interest you in the Pyromancer Lifestyle? You lob fire like grenades to stagger fools and then finish them off with poking.

I've heard bad things about a super dedicated caster. Like it's the one build that isn't super viable. Meanwhile using Heavy paths on more dex-y weapons and Quality are p much win buttons. That being said, how much investment do you really need to do pyromancy in addition to something else? Considering Pyromancy isn't Literally Free like Dark Souls 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Generally speaking, the only magic type builds that truly suffer are 100% pure casters/pyromancers/miraclemeisters. If you put all of your cards on your magic, eventually you're going to run into something that takes piddly damage from it, or consumes too much FP to kill, and then you're screwed. What you want to do is meet the minimum stat requirements for your weapon of choice and then either make it raw or infuse it with whichever buff matches your brand of spells' stats. With pyromancy, you're going to need to invest in both FTH and INT in about equal measure.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

I've heard bad things about a super dedicated caster. Like it's the one build that isn't super viable. Meanwhile using Heavy paths on more dex-y weapons and Quality are p much win buttons. That being said, how much investment do you really need to do pyromancy in addition to something else? Considering Pyromancy isn't Literally Free like Dark Souls 1.

Most pyros have relatively low reqs and the best one (GCFO) has none, apart from the 14 ATT to get the second spell slot for it. You still want to have a melee weapon but that has been true in all the games, even in DeS and DS1 where magic can be made so powerful as to trivialize the game.

A pure sorcerer is viable but not exactly thrilling, you'll probably be using GHSA almost exclusively for most of the game though a number of more interesting options will eventually open up.

Pure miracle caster probably isn't viable, but it isn't supposed to be. At any rate now that Sunlight Arrow is a thing it finally has a really good ranged spell.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

It's not very much. 30 Attunement, 20 Intellect, 20 Faith will give you 5 slots, a reasonable amount of FP, access to almost all the pyromancies, and solid fire scaling. You'll also be able to pick up a lot of the utility sorceries and a few miracles, and still have a solid number of levels to play with.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Any worries you might have with a pure magic build go away if you just invest the minimum stats to wield a decent raw weapon like a longsword or dragonslayer axe. Be the wizard you were meant to be.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pyromancers are amazing. Everything in the early game is weak to fire or standing near an explosive barrel. Even the first three bosses of the game are weak to fire. A lot of bosses can be poisoned/toxic or bleed (technically a miracle but you got the faith to use it). Raw weapon a basically as good a scaling weapon until the 30 range anyways. After while you will get chaos/dark weapon to catch back up.

You always got a slightly less health, endurance, and damage compared to a str/dex build. But pyromancers get such a huge tool box. There will always be multiple way for you to proceed.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

skasion posted:

Pure miracle caster probably isn't viable, but it isn't supposed to be. At any rate now that Sunlight Arrow is a thing it finally has a really good ranged spell.

Unless you mean pure miracles as in 'no melee whatsoever', it's totally viable. Min stats to wield and faith for damage? Totally viable.

Especially now that the Saint's Bident scaling got a buff, and it's available so early on.

Poise-casting is also ridiculously useful.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Unknown Quantity posted:

That being said, how much investment do you really need to do pyromancy in addition to something else? Considering Pyromancy isn't Literally Free like Dark Souls 1.

pyromancy is the easiest casting school to dabble in though. if you don't want to commit to even being "half" caster or whatever, pyromancy works out of the box with even 1 spell slot, or 14 ATT or 1 spell slot + spell slot ring (or even no ATT and the +2 spell slot ring if you're a masochist about maxing out the blue cop covenant). the basic fireball / fire orb spells deal fire damage and have a small AoE radius, so if you do get two or three monsters standing on top of each other, you can blast all of them. chaos bed vestiges is the big damaging spell that has 0 stat requirements except that it takes two spell slots to attune.

you can find the pyro trainer in the second area of the game, and you can find his first spellbook in the upper swamp zone in the next area after. even with base casting stats (like 10/10 INT/FTH) the fire orb spell will do decent enough damage for pulling distant monsters or picking off runners. hell, you can even get the first +pryo damage boosting ring in the same swamp that has the first pyro spellbook.

sorcery can take a little longer to get to a workable state, especially if it's your first time thru and you miss yoel or you don't have the minimum INT when you find the sorcery tutor or you find the first sorcery tutor but you don't find a sorcery spellbook before you kill too many more bosses and he just up and peaces out on you.

miracles are usable from the start, in as much as the healing/buffing stuff can work even with low stats, but IIRC you don't get access to the damage dealing miracles until further into the game, so if you're going to do a miracle damage caster, you'd better be able to handle everything in melee until you actually find the lightning spells.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

Posters have done a good job of explaining how pyromancy can work. My experience has been that there's nothing that is strong against Fire & Dark, it's one or the other. So if you follow the Pyro Lifestyle, you end up with a tool box that has at least one weapon & spell that's Fire & one that's Dark. & you can dabble in Sorcery and Miracles along the way to try stuff out. There's still plenty of stats to keep your VIT/END/ATT high.

The other benefit, I think, is that it's a build that encourages you away from shields which suits DS3's faster combat. It's even got some good AoE and good seeking attacks, which makes it easier to poke away at health while dodging which will suit the (defensive/cowardly) lifestyle request that got this started.

e: the main disadvantage is you are more reliant on Blue Estus to sustain your effectiveness when exploring, where a Melee person can focus on healing because attacks don't drain a resource. For awhile, I was running with more blue estus flasks plus a best health per point miracle I could find to convert blue back to health for when a trip went long and I wasn't ready to go back to a bonfire and reset.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 7, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pyro would probably be less of a massive pain in the rear end if Warmth was easier to get.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Warmth sucks and pyro isn't a pain in the rear end in any way. Having fewer heals is the price you pay for consistent ranged damage and you make it up by not taking as many hits.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Heals are based on the spell potency of your talismans/charms, I don't believe they scale with faith. Pryomancers have the faith to use most healing spells.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
... and even if they don't have the faith for a decent Heal spellbuff, Replenishment or Bountiful Light or Sacred Chime of Filianore don't scale and just need you to reach minimum faith reqs.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

oh also if you've played the other games and you're coming into DS3 fresh, be aware that back stabs and parries are no longer the best solution to every melee monster. DS3 changed how they work, and the worst aspect is that now you can whiff a back stab, where your guy gets locked into the back stab animation but your target manages to move just an inch or so out of the way and now you're stuck trying to stab empty air while your target and any other monster nearby can have fun pounding you because you don't get i-frames on a whiffed back stab.

you can also partial parry an attack now if your timing is bad, in which case you take a little chip damage and your entire stamina bar gets drained and you get staggered. if you're good at parrying and you find the hornet ring you can still do sick damage, but the game punishes trying to spam the parry button recklessly now.

on the plus side a bunch of monsters got special weak spots that lead into vicious critical hits a la bloodborne, so if you can manage it, there's actually a reason to try and smack a monster in the head or in the glowing chest spot or whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you could whiff backstabs in ds2(albeit not as often) and partial parries have existed since ds1

Unknown Quantity posted:

If you know where to get what stuff, a pure sorcery character eventually becomes ludicrously powerful in PvE. There is no easier way to beat bosses in this game than shooting crystal soul spears at them from a distance with a bunch of sorcery boosting items on. Many bosses will barely even get to attack.

Broadly speaking, pyromancy is easier to pick up because it's less reliant on boosts and knowing where to get spells.
If you find a boss called old demon king make his soul into the best pve pyromancy in the game and kill everything with it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Yeah, the main thing you keep forgetting as a pyro is that you can use miracles and sorceries as well if you want, since you'll generally have a pretty even split in both. So you can easily go for Med Heal which is good enough for any heals you need with a chime or whatever.

You can also use utility sorceries, which I really should use on my pyro instead of going for 4+ pyromancies when I really only use GCFO. I have Boulder, Toxic Mist and some other spell on him iirc.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Okay, with all that tabled, can I just as easily make a small investment and put it alongside a Quality or other build? Because I just noticed Second Chance is back and it only takes 15 Faith, so 10 INT, 15 FTH and 18 ATT and a spell ring and that's the big chaos fireball + Second Chance v0.5, with a bonus spell like Spook if I do the aforementioned cop ring investment. I'm still looking at melee and bows being my primary means of taking things out, of course, I just also have never been a fan of the buff + elemental lyfe because I play these games at a pretty leisurely pace, taking out a few packs of dudes and then stopping to sip my coffee or chat with my friends before moving forward and making sure I don't miss anything.

tl;dr I appreciate the advice and will definitely consider a respec/another file with a ton more spells in the future, but right now I'm looking at tearing things open in melee, whether that be with huge damage numbers or with spamming bleed procs. Magic, as I've said, is a supplement, and it seems like you can make a tiny investment for a pretty good amount of bang.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

You might want to avoid quality but that's totally doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Don't build quality on a partial spell caster unless you're legitimately only going to pick up cheap utility