Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

veni veni veni posted:

So many people have said that, which is why I passed on it even at $20 for everything. Shame because it looks good. It's super low on my bucket list because of all the complaints. By the time I'd actually get around to playing it, it will have been on sale for $5.

For the record Mad Max was dragged down from like an 8/10 to a 1/10 for me because of the grindy bullshit so I should probably just steer clear of mafia all together.

mafia 2 was one of the most aggressively mediocre games i have ever played, i don't know why anyone would expect differently for 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mafia 3 had a lot of problems but the story was actually excellently presented and enjoyable, and there's a lot of good music in it that you'd recognize unlike many open world games that now feature 3 good songs and a shitload of filler material due to the cost of licensing modern music. I played it immediately after Trump won though, so maybe it was just cathartic at the time killing tons and tons of Trump supporters in a vidja.

The missions were repetitive, a problem that no other open world game has ever had of course, but the close combat was very satisfying and playing it like a Hitman game and enjoying the setting/time period made it definitely worth $15 bucks/a rental. It was also nice playing a game you could loving finish in 20 hours, I'm pretty over every single game needing to have 80 hours of "content" that I don't have time or energy to fully complete anymore.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ether Frenzy posted:

and there's a lot of good music in it that you'd recognize unlike many open world games that now feature 3 good songs and a shitload of filler material due to the cost of licensing modern music.

That was to its detriment: Felt like someone with a very shallow knowledge of music chose the songs to include in the soundtrack, all the very obvious tired hits were present, no interesting surprises.

Ether Frenzy posted:

but the close combat was very satisfying and playing it like a Hitman game

The mechanics and enemy AI were much too shallow for this to be much fun, in my opinion

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nobody wants to hear the deep cuts on albums that came out 15 years before they were born, they want to hear The Hits - the knowledge of music chosen for this game was "shallow" much like the knowledge of music was shallow in Vice City because you actually knew every song there, too. It wasn't a flawless or perfect game by any stretch, but it was definitely better than the un-hype it got after it was released with that unbelievably lovely skybox at launch (that they fixed immediately).

Here's the list of tracks:
"Mother's Little Helper" by the Rolling Stones
"Paint it Black" by the Rolling Stones
"Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones
"Street Fighting Man" by the Rolling Stones
"Chain Gang" by Sam Cooke
"Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke
"Bring it on Home to Me" by Sam Cooke
"Another Saturday Night" by Sam Cooke
"I'm Gonna Forget About You" by Sam Cooke
"Ninety-Six Tears" by Question Mark and the Mysterians
"Go Go Shoes" by Lonnie Youngblood
"Take me for What I Am" by L.C. Cooke
"I Let a Good Thing Go By" by Dewey Edwards
"Dance of the Hours" by Beethoven Ben
"Hang Ten" by the Fun Sons
"Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals
"Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"You" by Marvin Gaye
"Hold On, I’m Comin’" by Sam and Dave
"Pictures Of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo
"Chain Of Fools" by Aretha Franklin
"Respect" by Aretha Franklin
"Piece Of My Heart" by Big Brother & the Holding Company
"I Fought the Law" by Bobby Fuller Four
"The Letter" by Box Tops
"Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers
"Slip Away" by Clarence Carter
"Psychotic Reaction" by Count Five
"White Room" by Cream
"Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Born On The Bayou" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon
"Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane
"Folsom Prison Blues (Live)" by Johnny Cash
"Shotgun" by Jr. Walker and the All Stars
"Nowhere To Run" by Martha and the Vendellas
"(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding
"Palisades Park" by Ramones
"King of the Road" by Roger Miller
"Soul Man" by Sam and Dave
"Li'l Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
"Desperation" by Steppenwolf
"You Keep Me Hangin’ On [#1]" by the Supremes
"Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by the Temptations
"Wild Thing" by the Troggs
"One" by Three Dog Night
"You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Vanilla Fudge
"One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" by John Lee Hooker
"Good Times are so Hard to Find" by Blue Cheer
"Ay-Tete Fee" by Clifton Chenier
"You Belong To Me" by The Duprees
"Take Me for What I'm Worth" by the Searchers
"What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)" by The Tams
"Black Ghost Blues" by Lightnin' Hopkins
"Green River" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Walking the Dog" by Rufus Thomas
"I Got My Mojo Working" by the Shadows of Knight
"You Belong To Me" by Misfits
"Bad Moon Rising" by Mourning Ritual ft Peter Dreimanis
"Tramp" by Otis Redding & Carla Thomas
"On The Road Again" by Canned Heat
"Don't Go To Strangers" by Etta James
"Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard
"Running Scared" by Roy Orbison
"Crazy" by Patsy Cline
"Runaway (1967 version)" by Del Shannon
"Eve of Destruction" by Barry McGuire
"Knock on Wood" by Eddie Floyd
"Help Me, Rhonda" by Beach Boys
"Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
"I Wish It Would Rain" by Temptations
"Heroes and Villains Beach Boys
"Reach Out, I'll Be There" by Four Tops
"White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane
"G.I. Blues" by Lightnin' Slim
"Keep Searchin’ (We’ll Follow The Sun)" by Del Shannon
"Love Child" by Diana Ross & the Supremes
"You've Really Got a Hold on Me" by the Miracles
"Baby Love" by the Supremes
"Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield
"Wouldn’t It Be Nice" by Beach Boys
"Get Up and Get Down" by the Dramatics
"Bottom of the River" by Delta Rae
"Ring Of Fire" by Johnny Cash
"Kicks" by Paul Revere and the Raiders
"We Gotta Get Out Of This Place" by the Animals
"Needles & Pins" by the Searchers
"In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly
"I Can't Turn You Loose" by Chambers Brothers
"Hard to Handle"by Otis Redding
"The Weight" by The Band
"Paint it Black" by the Avengers
"Five Card Hand" by Mercy Dee Walton
"You Better Stop" by Sonny Rhodes
"Must Have Been the Devil" by Otis Spann
"I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown
"Hey Big Momma" by Roosevelt Sykes
"Sinner's Prayer" by Lightnin' Hopkins
"The Howling Wolf" by Lightnin' Hopkins
"A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Re: PC Gaming chat.

I work on a PC all day. I don't want to come home and game on a PC. Bleh.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So what you're doing instead is sitting in front of a TV screen? Doesn't sound materially different to me. Never understood your sentiment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

So what you're doing instead is sitting in front of a TV screen? Doesn't sound materially different to me. Never understood your sentiment.

In front of a TV, I can play with the family and chill on my couch. In front of my PC I am in my room.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sitting in an office chair for 8+ hours in a day with a keyboard and mouse means I don't want to sit in an office chair with a keyboard and mouse when I get home. I REALLY don't want to come home from a tech support job where I spent hours (and stayed hella-late) getting the CEO's computer working while he was breathing down my neck, only to get PTSD when some random PC game decides to make me have to tech support to get it working.

There's definitely some validity, depending on the specifics of your job, to want your home entertainment to consist of rear end-to-couch followed by pick up the controller and poo poo just works #wow #whoa I don't give a gently caress how 720p low texture quality at 20ish FPS it is.

At least if you're not a professional cj of some description, and if your job involves things other than working on a computer, this becomes easier to deal with, and it's of course possible to consolize a PC so you can play Xbox One games in actual true native 4K60+ (if you can stomach the initial headaches of getting it all working right).

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 5, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

veni veni veni posted:

So many people have said that, which is why I passed on it even at $20 for everything. Shame because it looks good. It's super low on my bucket list because of all the complaints. By the time I'd actually get around to playing it, it will have been on sale for $5.

For the record Mad Max was dragged down from like an 8/10 to a 1/10 for me because of the grindy bullshit so I should probably just steer clear of mafia all together.
It's almost as if the open world/hundreds of useless side missions/grinding trend is poo poo and should be ended immediately

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

univbee posted:

At least if you're not a professional cj of some description, and if your job involves things other than working on a computer, this becomes easier to deal with, and it's of course possible to consolize a PC so you can play Xbox One games in actual true native 4K60+ (if you can stomach the initial headaches of getting it all working right).

Consolized PCs still do Dumb Windows 10 poo poo unless you're clinging onto Windows 8.1 or something. I really get people who just want something that turns on and plays games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mafia 3 is definitely worth it only if you can find the edition with the season pass for u$20-25. The DLC missions add much needed variety.

Otherwise you end up with a game that has only around a dozen good linear missions in between all the grinding. Imagine if the Far Cry games forced you to do 8-10 hours worth of camp conquest side missions to continue with the main plot and that's what Mafia 3's main campaign is like.

God-tier shootbang animations/sound/hit feedback though, even if the AI is so dumb that you can stealth past most encounters.

GUI fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 5, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Consolized PCs still do Dumb Windows 10 poo poo unless you're clinging onto Windows 8.1 or something. I really get people who just want something that turns on and plays games.

Yeah I'm 100% in agreement and saying this as someone who explicitly built a PC just for gaming on a TV. So, so many tiny little issues that are just super-annoying when you're tired and just want to game, gently caress. Hell even with everything set up right you still can't really play online with just a lazy controller, you have to figure out a way to kb+m or you get destroyed in online games. At least the locked 1080p60 on high is purdy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A Roccat Sova keyboard solved most of my living room PC problems but that's another ~$200 US to the equation and you still have to deal with windows on any non-steam games.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

A Roccat Sova keyboard solved most of my living room PC problems but that's another ~$200 US to the equation and you still have to deal with windows on any non-steam games.

Plus justified shame

Is there any reason not to buy Crazy Taxi and Daytona USA on sale for $2.50? Any licensing horseshit there?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The Offspring music license expired years ago so their tracks aren't in the 360 version.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

Re: PC Gaming chat.

I work on a PC all day. I don't want to come home and game on a PC. Bleh.

What you need to do is make your work PC into a gaming PC! I've made you a shopping list, and furthermore

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

The Offspring music license expired years ago so their tracks aren't in the 360 version.

I imagine I'm supposed to see that as a negative

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

I imagine I'm supposed to see that as a negative

lol

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

Congratulations to Ryse: Son of Rome for being the worst current gen game I've played

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Congratulations to Ryse: Son of Rome for being the worst current gen game I've played

Get you some Lococycle

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Get you some Lococycle

No, don't.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you have kinect, fighter within is so bad its comedy

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

but now you have Spotify! :-)

[offspring] YA YA YA YA YA. [/offspring]

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Convexed posted:

but now you have Spotify! :-)

[offspring] YA YA YA YA YA. [/offspring]

Some of us have Google Play Music because we can't do anything right

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

TheScott2K posted:

Some of us have Google Play Music because we can't do anything right

google play music's comes up with much better mixes than spotify for me.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Some of us use Zune music because we aren't cowards

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

google play music's comes up with much better mixes than spotify for me.

The app is trash, especially for browsing playlists, but it's hard to argue with integrated cloud storage for stuff they don't have, and bonus Better YouTube.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Some of us use Zune music because we aren't cowards

I unironically love my ZuneHD and wish things had turned out differently.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hate the fact Google Play Music doesn't have the option of showing tracks in playlists that aren't available/no longer available: They just vanish. That's why it's not a reasonable alternative to Spotify, for me. In addition, I was constantly accidentally rearranging or removing tracks with their Android app, just terrible usability.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

So is destiny 2 going to be a grindy shitpile babby MMO again or have they made it actually decent now

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So far it seems really awesome, very impressed with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I only got destiny as a pack in game. I dont need another ps4 right now so i wont get 2

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're certainly due for that Pro-Upgrade.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

You're certainly due for that Pro-Upgrade.

Is it november 2016 again already?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fame Douglas posted:

So far it seems really awesome, very impressed with it.
Looks like I missed the GCU $10 preorder bonus by a day so I guess I'll wait for some reviews and a deal. Thanks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

TheScott2K posted:

The app is trash, especially for browsing playlists, but it's hard to argue with integrated cloud storage for stuff they don't have, and bonus Better YouTube.

I unironically love my ZuneHD and wish things had turned out differently.

I had a Zune 80 and it owned bones until the hard disk in it poo poo the bed after like 8 years. The pack-in earbuds with the little magnet that made the stick together was slick as well. I had a friend that bought a Zune 8 though and he went through 3 of them before he had one that worked properly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I always wanted a zune. They looked so cool.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I always wanted a zune. They looked so cool.

The ZuneHD had an HD radio tuner and could sync Windows Media Center recordings. Mine always had the previous night's The Daily Show and Colbert Report on it. Zunes also generally had really good DACs and a music service that was basically a download-and-sync based Spotify precursor. The Windows Zune client was also a pretty drat good (and slick) MP3 library/player. There are people who make good poo poo who work at Microsoft. It's a shame their talents are so frequently wasted.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
on the other hand it's brown

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Baby Boomer found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Instant Sunrise posted:

That's a feature. :colbert: