Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

listrada posted:

So, my voodoo lilies (Acanthophallus konjac) are doing really well. The big ones are three years old now, and are taller than the table.

When I repotted them this spring, I found 8 baby bulbs in the soil, all of which have done really well this year too. I only managed to get rid of three of them, so now I have seven plants total, and I'm positive that they're producing a million more baby bulbs as we speak.

Does anyone want any of them? They're really neat plants.
Sure! How do we get in touch with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Hirayuki posted:

Sure! How do we get in touch with you?

Also interested!

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
My bad! Email me at listrada1370 at gmail. In previous seasons, they've died back in mid/late October and resurfaced in May or so. I'll probably repot everything in Nov. Hit me up and I'll try to get you some bulbs :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone know what these mushrooms/fungi are? I just found them growing in a bed outside a few minutes ago and they're blowing my mind.

Hand for scale (and mimicking the mushroom for fun)

kedo fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 7, 2017

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

It’s my good hand!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't know what it is, but I love how it looks like the hand of a zombie trying to dig itself out of the ground.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

kedo posted:

Anyone know what these mushrooms/fungi are? I just found them growing in a bed outside a few minutes ago and they're blowing my mind.

Hand for scale (and mimicking the mushroom for fun)

that looks like this

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/pseudocolus_fusiformis.html

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I think you're right, and the flies covering it this morning seem to agree that it's a stinkhorn. What a weird thing! I thought it looked a bit like someone had cut the leg off a chicken and stuck it in the ground.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Hi!

Bear with me here i have to do a bit of explaining before i ask my question.
I have a 2.5m tall chicken wire fence around my yard that i built this summer to make it pet proof. Today when using my "brush cutter" as it's apparently called (spins plastic string really fast in circles) i found out that it easily eats through the chicken wire if i'm not careful when cutting the loving yard pubes that grow into the wire fence and had to patch it up.

This kinda lights a fire under me finding and implementing a solution for the yard pubes before next summer. It's always been my plan to eventually replace the chicken wire with planks to make a much nicer fence, but it's expensive and takes a lot of time. I am still gonna do that in areas where i'm building decks eventually, but i was wondering:

Is there something i can plant that will 100% integrate with the chicken wire fence, take it over and still look nice? It would hopefully eliminate the need to flail around and cut the yard pubes that are working their way into the chicken wire, maybe look nice and be cheaper.

I live in central coastal Norway, so it would have to be something that likes the climate here and can survive the winter/come back during spring.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I was totally with you until you said you lived in loving Norway lol.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Maybe i can convince a troll to leave his beard over it or something.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dongattack posted:

Hi!

Bear with me here i have to do a bit of explaining before i ask my question.
I have a 2.5m tall chicken wire fence around my yard that i built this summer to make it pet proof. Today when using my "brush cutter" as it's apparently called (spins plastic string really fast in circles) i found out that it easily eats through the chicken wire if i'm not careful when cutting the loving yard pubes that grow into the wire fence and had to patch it up.

This kinda lights a fire under me finding and implementing a solution for the yard pubes before next summer. It's always been my plan to eventually replace the chicken wire with planks to make a much nicer fence, but it's expensive and takes a lot of time. I am still gonna do that in areas where i'm building decks eventually, but i was wondering:

Is there something i can plant that will 100% integrate with the chicken wire fence, take it over and still look nice? It would hopefully eliminate the need to flail around and cut the yard pubes that are working their way into the chicken wire, maybe look nice and be cheaper.

I live in central coastal Norway, so it would have to be something that likes the climate here and can survive the winter/come back during spring.

Do you mean "string trimmer"? I could see how they would cut chicken wire. You might want to consider something thicker like hardware cloth.

Anyway, it's too late in the year to plant anything that could grow as large as you want by the end of this year. When do you want to replace your fence? Depending on that time, any plant might not have enough time to grow that big. The only plants I can think of that grow that fast are weeds, and it sounds like you have enough problems with weeds.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If i can find a plant that fits all the criteria: covers the fence, looks nice, i'm probably not putting up any nicer fencing at all. Did you have anything in mind? I wasn't expecting anything to cover the fence by next year, i was more imagining planting it next spring/summer and then by 2019 i'd hopefully face at least enough to phase out the grass/weeds that grows around the fence.

Edit: ah nvm, i found out the norwegian word for plants like these now and then everything became googleable and i found stores and online resources about the subject. thanks anyway!

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 8, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any houseplants that can keep in cold indoor environments? It's just I really like the cold so I don't use the heater unless a) a guest complains or b) I absolutely need to to keep the pipes from freezing.

I would estimate during the winter my flat is around 40-50 degrees, which yes is perfect for me and you can find me lounging around in shorts and a t-shirts, and maybe a hoodie.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 12, 2017

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Most houseplants do fine in the 50's, but long exposure to the 40s is going to rule out a lot. Ferns (bostons) and spider plants are probably a good place to start. Do you have good sun exposure atleast?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any houseplants that can keep in cold indoor environments? It's just I really like the cold so I don't use the heater unless a) a guest complains or b) I absolutely need to to keep the pipes from freezing.

I would estimate during the winter my flat is around 40-50 degrees, which yes is perfect for me and you can find me lounging around in shorts and a t-shirts, and maybe a hoodie.

Conifer bonsai?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

robotindisguise posted:

Most houseplants do fine in the 50's, but long exposure to the 40s is going to rule out a lot. Ferns (bostons) and spider plants are probably a good place to start. Do you have good sun exposure atleast?

I have a large south facing glass window door thing to the patio and east facing windows in the rooms that matter. IIRC last year I'd get to work around 7-8am with it still pitch dark and leave work around 5-6p with it pitch dark again.

I think it's generally overcast during the day in the winters but I'm not sure. I don't actually like sunshine either, so I try not to pay attention to it.

e: I'll look into ferns and whatever spider plants are thanks.

kedo posted:

Conifer bonsai?

I've always wanted a bonsai tree but last time I checked they were super expensive for one. I'm kinda looking for something (a lot) cheaper to get multiples of to make my flat look "warmer."

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 12, 2017

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cast-iron plants and maybe English ivy.

Edit: some succulents and cacti will tolerate cold winters as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I'd clean it with alcohol like you mentioned. That's how I clean my really dirty plants, if a wet rag won't cut it. Clean it first and see how bad the really bad parts are. Keep it alive until next year, and then trim or whatever. That's what I'd do. I'd also wait to repot until next spring, as summer is already in gear. I have a 3 or 4 year old jade that I didn't even know was jade until a few weeks ago. I haven't done any shaping (or back budding) so I have no advice on that front. It's a great looking plant, I hope it cleans up ok for you.

I just wanted to share that Jade I was trying to save is back budding and gorgeoussss. Whoop! I'll post pictures soon

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: I'll look into ferns and whatever spider plants are thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophytum_comosum

Typical bachelor plant because they'll grow and survive almost regardless of how much you neglect it as long as it gets water occasionally.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the best way deal with fire ants? I live in Atlanta and they're basically overtaking our lawn. I got this a couple months ago and treated the big mounds http://www.homedepot.com/p/AMDRO-24-oz-Ant-Block-Home-Perimeter-Ant-Bait-100522802/100598633 but it seems like there are now more mounds than ever.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Does anyone have a recommended reading list? What are some good books for learning about plants in general? What about the history of agriculture?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's not a book, and it's not a general overview of plants in general, but check out In Defense of Plants anyway because it's great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the best way deal with fire ants? I live in Atlanta and they're basically overtaking our lawn. I got this a couple months ago and treated the big mounds http://www.homedepot.com/p/AMDRO-24-oz-Ant-Block-Home-Perimeter-Ant-Bait-100522802/100598633 but it seems like there are now more mounds than ever.

Flood the place and make them someone else's problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I picked up one of these calatheas cause they have a really beautiful purple color underneath their leaves. One of the bigger leafs broke off at the stem but it's still mostly attached so I just tied it against another big leaf to temporarily keep it upright. I don't know if plants are capable of fixing themselves so should I just cut it off completely or should I make it more permanent and tie it against a stick or something?

Also it normally looks like how the picture shows it where all the leaves are fanned out, but last night I was stumbling around my living room and noticed that all the leaves/stems were "upright" for lack of better word. Like normally I had to move the leaves around to get access to the soil to water it but when they were upright the soil was just there and available. I shoulda taken a picture but I didn't think of it. This morning all the leaves were fanned out again.

Is this a normal plant thing? Because one of my childhood fears were plant monsters and to be honest it was kind of unsettling seeing this plant in a totally different "posture" without my glasses on and in the dark.

e: I didn't find anything about them standing up at night by googling but apparently on YouTube there are a bunch of timelapse videos on this so I guess it's a calathea thing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 22, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Anyone else here raise carnivorous plants?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Plants move around all the time in reaction to (or in anticipation of) various stimuli like light, heat, cold, water, wind, other plants, chemical messages, predators, seasonal changes, etc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Quick question... Is anyone here familiar with Pawpaw trees?

I just transplanted a couple of genetically dissimilar grafted trees earlier this week and I'm looking for proper care advice to make sure I'm doing everything possible to ensure the fruit trees are successful.

I dug out twice the width and filled everything in with loose soil and miracle-gro transplant soil. I then mulched 3" high around it, except for a small donut around the tree to ensure the roots don't grow into the mulch. I then added a capful of miracle-gro transplant fertilizer mixed in with a gallon of water and watered each tree thoroughly.

I'm in central Ohio, for reference.

How much watering should I be doing, and how often? When should I stop for the winter? Should I keep applying the transplant fertilizer once a week, this late in the season?

The trees have partial shade and partial full sun, and are sheltered by houses on the North and the South sides.

Any advice is appreciated!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This might be straying off topic, but: does anyone know a good way to get rid of box elder bugs? We've had a real infestation (mostly outside, thank goodness) for two late-summers in a row, and they stick around well into winter. We smack stragglers hard with a fly-swatter, but they're congregating in significant numbers on our south-facing brick back wall. The natural roach/ant/etc. spray did nothing but rile them up; I wound up smashing one into the back of my bare knee before hot-footing it back inside to regroup. :gonk:

We do not have any box elder trees. We do have a maple, and I understand they can come to like those as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Anyone else here raise carnivorous plants?

Yeah Kenning does: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738&userid=145867

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Shame Boner posted:

Plants move around all the time in reaction to (or in anticipation of) various stimuli like light, heat, cold, water, wind, other plants, chemical messages, predators, seasonal changes, etc.

I seriously didn't know this. I found a tumblr with a bunch of time lapse gifs of plants responding to eg water and sun and it's just really crazy to me. Do plants like the calathea I have respond to "any" UV lights or does it actually keep some kind of rhythm? Ie, if I put it in a dark room would it still fold up "at night"? I'm thinking no but I'm honestly blown away that they can reorient themselves to begin with so I dunno what to think any more.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Boris Galerkin posted:

I seriously didn't know this. I found a tumblr with a bunch of time lapse gifs of plants responding to eg water and sun and it's just really crazy to me. Do plants like the calathea I have respond to "any" UV lights or does it actually keep some kind of rhythm? Ie, if I put it in a dark room would it still fold up "at night"? I'm thinking no but I'm honestly blown away that they can reorient themselves to begin with so I dunno what to think any more.

Hop bines wiggle around in circles as they grow up, which is how they find objects to then climb and proceed to wrap themselves around. This appears to be timed to the sun, but not necessarily following it per se.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's also the "sensitive plant", which folds up in response to touch. It's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTcVNyOhUc

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

OSU_Matthew posted:

Quick question... Is anyone here familiar with Pawpaw trees?

I never use chemical fertilizer, so I can't comment about that. Be careful not to use too much at one time. I use Fish Emulation and compost on my trees.

How much water does your area get per year? I live in an area with all of the rainfall coming in winter. The rest of the year I do a deep watering every 3-4 months. For a new transplant I would place the hose 1 foot away from the trunk, and just leave it there on full for 10 minutes. As the tree gets larger, move the hose to 2-3 feet from the trunk.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I never use chemical fertilizer, so I can't comment about that. Be careful not to use too much at one time. I use Fish Emulation and compost on my trees.

How much water does your area get per year? I live in an area with all of the rainfall coming in winter. The rest of the year I do a deep watering every 3-4 months. For a new transplant I would place the hose 1 foot away from the trunk, and just leave it there on full for 10 minutes. As the tree gets larger, move the hose to 2-3 feet from the trunk.

We average about 37.5 inches a year, so we should be good since it's a native tree for the area.

Thanks! I did that last night and watered it pretty deeply by just leaving the house next to it. The did appear to be some standing water in the donut between the trunk and the mulch, so I'm hoping I didn't over water it

How late in the year should I keep watering a newly planted fruit tree? Until it starts losing its leaves?

Also, are those drip irrigation bags bad for trees?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

Okay. This thread is too quiet. We all need to start posting about our plants more. I'll start, with an update on my carnivorous plant collection. All of these photos can be clicked for SUPER ULTRA RESOLUTION.

Here's the full collection, to get things started:

There are six 4-foot T8 fluorescent lights there. 16 hour photoperiod.

Here's my Drosera capensis! It is just going crazy with all this light, and is sending up its second flower scape since I bought it. I also re-potted it and separated off a few offsets, as you'll see later.

This is Drosera capillaris, one of 4 plants I got at the BACPS meeting in January. It's loving my conditions! I wish I'd taken a picture when I first got it, but it was hugging the ground and had white tentacles and no flower stalks. And now look at it!

I also got this Drosera spiralis at the meeting. It's not doing quite as well as the D. capillaris. It's a Brazilian sundew and is known for being a bit temperamental. One grower told me I need to remember to say goodnight to it, because they have a habit of being suddenly dead. Its dew production hasn't been as robust as I'd like.

This is the last sundew I got at the BACPS meeting. I'm 99% sure it's Drosera admirabilis, but it wasn't labeled so I'm not positive. I recently repotted it. It's been doing fine, but hopefully as it continues to adjust to my conditions it'll settle in and start making more dew. It's already a good-sized plant, which means it should be fairly robust, if it is in fact D. admirabilis.

The one other plant I got at BACPS was this giant ping, Pinguicula gigantea. It's so cute and gooey! I want to re-pot this into a larger circular pot soon.

These little dudes are a bit of a mystery. They were growing in my D. admirabilis pot, and at first I thought they might be offsets, but I'm thinking now that I've separated them off they look sort of like Drosera spatulata, which is a known sundew collection weed, since it blooms prolifically and has long flower stalks. We'll see! I'd be happy to have one in my collection, in any case.

These are the two offsets I got off of my original D. capensis. I've got a few friends who are interested in taking up the hobby, and I may give them away as starter plants once they size up a bit more.

Now for some seedlings! First, Drosera burmanii. I wanted to get some D. burmanii seed cause I've read that they are voracious eaters and fast growers when fed. They're doing okay! The germination success rate wasn't particularly high, but that's fine – there are 13 or 14 plants in there, and if 10 plants make it to maturity that would be awesome for me. I'm feeding them every 10 days or so, so fingers crossed.

Here are seedlings of Drosera capensis 'Albino'. They will have white or pale pink tentacles when full grown, unlike the striking red of the typical form. The seedlings are a little hard to see, and were the last ones to germinate.

Finally, here's two pictures of Drosera intermedia 'Cuba'. They germinated like crazy! I transferred maybe a third of the original seedlings to a new pot. We'll see if that was a good idea – it may have been better to let them get a bit older first. We'll see! Again, if I can get 10 or 15 of these babies to maturity I would be pumped.

These pictures were all taken on the 15th, btw. The babies are already bigger than pictured.

Now you may remember back in December I was posting about my plant collection and I shared this photo of my Venus's fly-trap and some mystery sundews:

Well the sundews died, which was the least surprising thing in the world (they weren't being cared for very well at the nursery), but check out my VFT now:

Doing great! And catching flies! It started sending up a flower stalk a month or so ago but we cut it off after a week or so, since VFTs can be finicky to grow from seed, and now it'll put its energy into vegetative propagation. I'm planning on separating this guy out into separate containers soon to encourage lots of offsets.

I've also acquired a Sarracenia purpurea. I got this one a couple months ago, and in the last couple weeks it put out those new pitchers (the pale ones), which I suppose is a good sign! I'm going to set something up outside for Sarracenia in the next month or so, and then I'll move this guy (and maybe a couple of the VFTs) out there. In the mean time though he seems to be doing alright under the lights.

Post about your plants! And if I've infected anyone with the carnivorous plant bug, good! They're really fun to care for. Also those lights only cost $11/month to run, and the full setup (or something like it) could be put together for $50-$80. I've learned a lot just in the 4 or 5 months I've been into it, and there's plenty more to go.

I need to know more about your soil/light setup for my plants!

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

...I'm honestly blown away that they can reorient themselves to begin with so I dunno what to think any more.

Not only this but some plants can maintain circadian rhythms even when they receive 24 hours of total daylight or total darkness, like we can. I was recently reading an interesting study about cabbage that still continued to carry out pest control functions and other cyclical metabolic processes even after being harvested from the plant.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also, are those drip irrigation bags bad for trees?

I wouldn't say they're "bad"; but after seeing them in action, I'm only convinced that they're a novel way to make someone $30 poorer. The primary reason I don't like them is that they promote the kind of laziness and neglect that leads to poor establishment. My understanding is that these bags are to be removed after they empty, so the ground and the base of the tree can get some air. The landscape company that maintains the grounds at work installed dozens of trees and had the bags around the base for weeks, filling them when empty. Some were the upright Treegator bags and others were the hemorrhoid pillow-looking ones. After the bags came off, many of the trees that didn't outright die predictably had fungal issues and insect damage where the bags were. It's been a couple years since, and many of the trees that had issues never recovered and still look like hell. I don't see a decisive advantage over proper mulching and a soaker hose/bucket with weep holes. The best fertilizer is of course a gardener's shadow and so forth.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Yeah, there's a dramatic difference in my never-never between day and night. During the day the leaves are spread out, with the tops facing upward. At night all of the leaves retreat inward and orient themselves until their tips are basically pointing to the sky.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 25, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boner posted:

Not only this but some plants can maintain circadian rhythms even when they receive 24 hours of total daylight or total darkness, like we can. I was recently reading an interesting study about cabbage that still continued to carry out pest control functions and other cyclical metabolic processes even after being harvested from the plant.

I wouldn't say they're "bad"; but after seeing them in action, I'm only convinced that they're a novel way to make someone $30 poorer. The primary reason I don't like them is that they promote the kind of laziness and neglect that leads to poor establishment. My understanding is that these bags are to be removed after they empty, so the ground and the base of the tree can get some air. The landscape company that maintains the grounds at work installed dozens of trees and had the bags around the base for weeks, filling them when empty. Some were the upright Treegator bags and others were the hemorrhoid pillow-looking ones. After the bags came off, many of the trees that didn't outright die predictably had fungal issues and insect damage where the bags were. It's been a couple years since, and many of the trees that had issues never recovered and still look like hell. I don't see a decisive advantage over proper mulching and a soaker hose/bucket with weep holes. The best fertilizer is of course a gardener's shadow and so forth.

Thanks! That is really good to know... I'm just trying to tick every box so as I can to make sure these trees succeed, so I'm really glad for the perspective! I had just blithely assumed they were good because I see them everywhere.

I left the hoses on for a few minutes yesterday and I'm sure I overwatered them, so next step I think is to try the bucket method you suggested... Thanks!

I was trying to do less than ten gallons a day, but now I'm seeing ten gallons a week everywhere I look on the googler, so I'm just going to hold off watering for a few days until things look like they've dried up a bit and make a slow drip bucket. It's just unusually hot here so I've been concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

OSU_Matthew posted:

I was trying to do less than ten gallons a day, but now I'm seeing ten gallons a week everywhere I look on the googler, so I'm just going to hold off watering for a few days until things look like they've dried up a bit and make a slow drip bucket. It's just unusually hot here so I've been concerned.

You shouldn't water trees every week, or even every month. They have large roots that can find water on their own.