Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So now we're back to exaggeration. 30 years of losing! Can I get 50? 50 over here now 50 over here. Can I get 75? 100 to the poster in the 20 State Strategy hoody

What were the great, lasting achievements brought to life by Democratic leaders in the last 30 years? Things you can be proud of, things you can describe as framing achievements for Democratic identity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

So now we're back to exaggeration. 30 years of losing! Can I get 50? 50 over here now 50 over here. Can I get 75? 100 to the poster in the 20 State Strategy hoody

It hasn't been a continuous stream of losing, but the Democrats really have lost way more important races over the past 30 years than they've won. Like, this shouldn't be a controversial point.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Majorian posted:

He still managed to kneecap Hillary's campaign by letting it slip that, "Oh, she's TOTALLY onboard with TPP, she's just PRETENDING that she isn't to placate the Bernie Bros!" Which was one of the best examples of how terribly-run her campaign was. Holy God, what a shitshow.

Haha yeah I imagine him saying that while holding a beer. For being run by a bunch of nerds feeding data into a computer, the entire campaign was such a disorganized mess.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Avirosb posted:

Isn't that one of the credentials?
It seems like it is now.

So then centrist Democrats should probably stop talking about "electability," because clearly they've lost sight of who is and isn't electable in this country.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Life demanded Hillary lose.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'd be more comfortable rallying behind the far-left if they had accomplished, or even attempted to accomplish anything besides complaining about Democrats since the election. The far-left is either powerless or far smaller than they are willing to admit.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

I'd be more comfortable rallying behind the far-left if they had accomplished, or even attempted to accomplish anything besides complaining about Democrats since the election. The far-left is either powerless or far smaller than they are willing to admit.

good thing i'm apparently not far-left according to the trump thread :peanut:

ditto the bernlord

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

steinrokkan posted:

What were the great, lasting achievements brought to life by Democratic leaders in the last 30 years? Things you can be proud of, things you can describe as framing achievements for Democratic identity?

We can trade, you can start by telling me what the great "true left" leaders in government have done for us outside of Portland. Maybe you can name a couple of people in the progressive caucus although I doubt it. Not like anyone here supported them before Super Tuesday anyway

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Peachfart posted:

fifteen dollars an hour minimum wage: you pro or anti, friend

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Peachfart posted:

What, exactly, were they supposed to be able to accomplish in the less-than-a-year since the election, when centrist pearl-clutchers in the DNC don't seem to want to budge an inch? Even with those constraints, they've made things like Medicare for All and a $15/hour minimum wage more or less the Democratic Party orthodoxy, so...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

the new deal

Ah yes the new deal of 1997 was it? Since he asked what was accomplished in the last 30 years

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 5, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

We can trade, you can start by telling me what the great "true left" leaders in government have done for us outside of Portland. Maybe you can name a couple of people in the progressive caucus although I doubt it. Not like anyone here supported them before Super Tuesday anyway

the new deal

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

This was accomplished where? Isolated unique pockets of America? Congratulations you're on your way to making an argument

are you pro or anti, friend, was the question.

would you care to answer it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

You are defending the ruling faction of one of two relevant political parties for being more pragmatic than their opposition. If their achievements need to be compared with the disenfranchised, non-institutionalized, media-ignored faction that, as you said, was ignored until Super Tuesday, and that SPECIFICALLY ROSE TO RELEVANCE TO OPPOSE THE PRAGMATISTS, you are just proving my point. You have absolutely nothing to show for your massive infrastructure, resources and other advantages, It's time to surrender to the resurgent left.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

You are defending the ruling faction of one of two relevant political parties for being more pragmatic than their opposition. If their achievements need to be compared with the disenfranchised, non-institutionalized, media-ignored faction that, as you said, was ignored until Super Tuesday, and that SPECIFICALLY ROSE TO RELEVANCE TO OPPOSE THE PRAGMATISTS, you are just proving my point. You have absolutely nothing to show for your massive infrastructure, resources and other advantages, It's time to surrender to the resurgent left.

This. When being able to suss out "electability" is the only thing that centrists claim to have going for them, and then it turns out that they're actually really bad at picking candidates who can win elections, welp...then there's not much reason to trust centrists with picking nominees or setting party strategy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's time the leftists had their say in the dem party once more. we need to return to our roots and have government programs that make people excited about the dems again

not silly tax credits for job creators

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

are you pro or anti, friend, was the question.

would you care to answer it.

I ask because the far left you so despise spent the weekend pushing for its adoption in more places across the country.

meanwhile, the Pragmatic Centrists rolled out a pinterest knock-off run by a fascist death squad veteran designed to help them win arguments on the internet.

which of these, in your opinion, is a more productive use of the democratic party's time, effort, and money.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

tired: tax credits for businesses to retrain people

wired: a new WPA

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
How can anything be accomplished with a two-party system?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I live in Washington state, and was an advocate for immediate increase of the Seattle minimum wage to 15/hour instead of the gradual increase we got. Also, it should be tied to inflation like our state minimum wage is.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just want to say that 'A Balanced Budget' is probably one of the stupidest accomplishments ever.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Peachfart posted:

Leftists are doing a hell of a lot more to combat the rising tide of fascism than Hillary, Obama, Tim Kaine, or anyone of your centrist heroes

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

I live in Washington state, and was a advocate for immediate increase of the Seattle minimum wage to 15/hour instead of the gradual increase we got. Also, it should be tied to inflation like our state minimum wage is.

:agreed:

we also need more than a higher minimum wage tho

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Peachfart posted:

I live in Washington state, and was a advocate for immediate increase of the Seattle minimum wage to 15/hour instead of the gradual increase we got. Also, it should be tied to inflation like our state minimum wage is.

good to hear. which one strikes you as a more productive use of the democratic party's time, effort, and money:

1. pushing for its national adoption

2. creating a pinterest knockoff run by a death squad veteran to help centrists win arguments on twitter

you know. strategically.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

can you imagine what we could do if we weren't in a forever war with additional military misadventures every year? would be really neat i tell you what

too bad dems like war and mass surveillance instead of infrastructure and jobs programs

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Peachfart posted:

The far-left is either powerless
Right, this is correct, and it's bad. If you don't support far-left policies, I understand not supporting far-left politicians, but if you do support far-left policies then observing that the far-left is out of power just means you need to try harder.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the only trump opponent so far with significant accomplishments is a hurricane so unless you plan to rally behind g*d's wrath you've committed yourself to utter passivity lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Calibanibal posted:

the only trump opponent so far with significant accomplishments is a hurricane so unless you plan to rally behind g*d's wrath you've committed yourself to utter passivity lol

What, you AREN'T a death cultist?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Just want to say that 'A Balanced Budget' is probably one of the stupidest accomplishments ever.

Yeah, it shows how much the Democrats in general, and Bill Clinton's team in particular, internalized Reaganism. "Oh no, America is a center-right country that hates Big Government and deficits, so we need to shrink government and balance the budget and pretend like we're Republicans!"

Or, as Clinton himself put it...

Bill Clinton posted:

Where are all the Democrats? I hope you're all aware we're all Eisenhower Republicans [...] We're Eisenhower Republicans here. Here we are, and we're standing for lower deficits and free trade and the bond market. Isn't that great?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

free trade is libertarian nonsense like free markets :barf:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jezzerat/status/905068788772691968

This person was almost given a cabinet position.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

white sauce posted:

Leftists are doing a hell of a lot more to combat the rising tide of fascism than Hillary, Obama, Tim Kaine, or anyone of your centrist heroes

Wow, this post assumes quite a lot. I'd say Antifa is definitely doing quite a bit, they are great. But past bashing the fash, what is the left doing?
And Antifa's popularity isn't guaranteed on the left. In this very thread I have seen multiple avowed leftists talking about how bashing the fash is bad and we should be working with white supremacists instead.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

free trade is real, says on my bag of coffee beans

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The left as you imagine it to be had a chance to be a bigger and more influential part of the Democratic Party for decades but didn't. It didn't for a number of reasons but it is trying now as a reaction to the rights ascendancy and not centrist democrat bogeymen. That's the weirdest disconnect between online leftists here and people you can get to vote for your candidates and policies in real life. They are voting in reaction to crises present or future and the rising tide of the right and you're crusading against neoliberals. The results of a successful movement would be an analogue of the tea party but it's actually good for the country.

It goes without saying that if you think for a second you won't have to compromise your views in the current and future system of government and accept people you are vilifying then you've got bigger problems than internet debate.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

Agreed. Passivity it is.

Edit: or hurricane 2020, idk

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

Wow, this post assumes quite a lot. I'd say Antifa is definitely doing quite a bit, they are great. But past bashing the fash, what is the left doing?
And Antifa's popularity isn't guaranteed on the left. In this very thread I have seen multiple avowed leftists talking about how bashing the fash is bad and we should be working with white supremacists instead.

antifa was actually helping with hurricane relief after harvey, so there's that too. also the DSA is up and coming

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The left as you imagine it to be had a chance to be a bigger and more influential part of the Democratic Party for decades but didn't.

wrong on the first sentence. the centrists drove the left out systematically. oh and they backstabbed unions too. now they're insisting democrats are the party of wall street, tax cuts and credits

centrists are p nasty :whitewater:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peachfart posted:

https://twitter.com/tresdessert/status/839531333525340160

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The left as you imagine it to be had a chance to be a bigger and more influential part of the Democratic Party for decades but didn't.

Mmmm, it's more that the Democratic leadership quite deliberately jettisoned economic justice as a core Democratic value:

quote:

After Humphrey’s loss to Nixon, Democrats formed the Commission on Party Structure and Delegate Selection, also known as the McGovern-Fraser Commission, which sought to heal and restructure the party. With the help of strategist Fred Dutton, Democrats forged a new coalition. By quietly cutting back the influence of unions, Dutton sought to eject the white working class from the Democratic Party, which he saw as “a major redoubt of traditional Americanism and of the antinegro, antiyouth vote.” The future, he argued, lay in a coalition of African Americans, feminists, and affluent, young, college-educated whites.

Which is a very Joy Ann Reid-esque take on electoral politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i love fdr and i hope the dems become the party of FDR again, but with minorities being treated well

it'd be a vast improvement over being the party of tax credits and avoiding black lives matter

• Locked thread