Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Finger Prince posted:

So write a loving letter, nobody cares.

It's more of an online process or phone call these days.

New i3 styling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

GM did 9/11

I thought that was Porsche.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Are you now or have you ever been a member of the GM Press Pool? :argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Let me make sure I have my facts straight before I I say anything.

So GM flies a bunch of "journalists" out to test autocross the bolt.

Some outlets disclose it was a paid-for press junket, some do not.

And you folks are pissed at the guy pointing this out instead of at guy writing at one of the outlets who didn't disclose that fact?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

ilkhan posted:

And you folks are pissed at the guy pointing this out instead of at guy writing at one of the outlets who didn't disclose that fact?

In their defense, I came across pretty crazy and have argued with the dude in the past about Tesla and his dislike for them.

I still stand by my point that ARs enjoys a different and possibly special relationship with GM (an advertiser on the site.)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ilkhan posted:

The guy didnt disclose the fact that GM didnt pay them

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

hifi posted:

Which is odd, because other press outlets at the same event (both names on leaderboard for track times) *were* paid for travel, accommodations and food.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ilkhan posted:

1. Ars specifically said they were not paid
2. Companies pay some people some of the time to check out their stuff, not all the people all of the time. The bigger you are and more positive things you say, the more likely it is the company will pay you. Say bad things, they will boycott you. The world sucks.
3. Nobody cares.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Ola posted:

1. Ars specifically said they were not paid
2. Companies pay some people some of the time to check out their stuff, not all the people all of the time. The bigger you are and more positive things you say, the more likely it is the company will pay you. Say bad things, they will boycott you. The world sucks.
3. Nobody cares.

The author only did in the comment section after someone tried to call him out for not disclosing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

The author only did in the comment section after someone tried to call him out for not disclosing.

We know, you have posted this, sadly.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I wonder what other non events the author failed to disclose

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

hifi posted:

Just want to know why it was a paid event for every other publication except for this one. What incentive do they have to fly out, house and feed staff for a press junket?

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 5, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hifi posted:

He didn't disclose that he didn't leave an upper-decker in a roadside diner's restroom. THE PUBLIC MUST KNOW.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Full disclosure: GM did not pay me to write this post.

The Sicilian posted:

Just want to know why others were and they weren't.

BUT WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE

gently caress off. quit slathering your mental illness all over the loving electric car thread.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Full disclosure: GM did not pay me to write this post.

BUT WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE

gently caress off. quit slathering your mental illness all over the loving electric car thread.

Enjoy your advertisements disguised as a tech blog reviews. Keep up the great posting.

I won't bother posting any pictures of the model 3 I am picking up in Feb.

My trip to the Fremont factory will be entirely paid for by Tesla full disclosure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Wow look at that flurry of activity after weeks of silence! It must be some great new content! Maybe Model 3? Possibly Ioniq? Perhaps VW has tipped their hand?

.....oh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

Wow look at that flurry of activity after weeks of silence! It must be some great new content! Maybe Model 3? Possibly Ioniq? Perhaps VW has tipped their hand?

.....oh

The electric mini that should be called the min-e but isn't will be coming out in 2019 with the I3 drivetrain and such which is good because the i3 looks like dogshit.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/mini/2017-mini-electric-concept-ar177421.html

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

So in other news, new Leaf reveal tomorrow night! I guess we're still looking at a 30 or 40 kWh battery for the base model. Curious what kind of range that will equate to; I have to assume they got a little more efficient compared to the first version.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

The impression I have of BMWs is that outside of warranty they are a crapshoot as to whether you will have a minimal maintenance DRIVING MACHINE, or a money pit. Does the i3's simplicity make for a much higher chance of long-term reliability, with BMW quality?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stevobob posted:

The impression I have of BMWs is that outside of warranty they are a crapshoot as to whether you will have a minimal maintenance DRIVING MACHINE, or a money pit. Does the i3's simplicity make for a much higher chance of long-term reliability, with BMW quality?

It can't be any worse than their gas cars at this point.

modern ICEs are obviously infinitely more complex than an electric motor, but i would imagine most convenience features would be just as problematic.

The i3s also use a super special wagon tire that are expensive and could be hard to get in a pinch.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

stevobob posted:

Are any i3 units old enough to be out of warranty or off-lease? Is anyone enough of a brain genius to buy an off-lease early-model-year first-of-its-kind BMW and then judge it for reliability?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Sicilian posted:

Hahaha you loving moron at least own it and admit you were wrong (and apologize to drgitlin for libeling him in a manner that was both overwrought and barely coherent).

There are outlets who refuse to let vendors pay for trips if it would cause a conflict, and they pay their own way instead. It's because they have higher standards for their journalism, and put their money where their mouth is.

God you buffoon.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Are any i3 units old enough to be out of warranty or off-lease? Is anyone enough of a brain genius to buy an off-lease early-model-year first-of-its-kind BMW and then judge it for reliability?

Plenty.

I've been looking at off lease 2014 i3 REx models for my wife to commute with, but we're probably going with an off lease Leaf instead, since they are essentially pocket change right now.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Mods rename to "The EV tantrum / libel / frustration electrothread."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Agronox posted:

So in other news, new Leaf reveal tomorrow night! I guess we're still looking at a 30 or 40 kWh battery for the base model. Curious what kind of range that will equate to; I have to assume they got a little more efficient compared to the first version.

Tonight, actually. 8:30PM EDT. I do hope there is a 60kWh option since I'd like to stick with Nissan.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I will be shocked if the Leaf has a 60 kWh option. I am guessing they drop two battery sizes and go for something in the high 30s, low 40s. If only it was practical to stick battery cells in that big front overhang.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

hifi posted:

Which would be a non-event if it wasn't a paid trip for the other news sites. So was it an actual unpaid trip for ARS? Or was it "unpaid" and GM's advertising budget suddenly found some extra money for a more generous rate on their ads specifically so that they could say it wasn't paid? I don't know, but its suspicious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This happens all the time. You can take the tinfoil off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Which would be a non-event if it wasn't a paid trip for the other news sites. So was it an actual unpaid trip for ARS? Or was it "unpaid" and GM's advertising budget suddenly found some extra money for a more generous rate on their ads specifically so that they could say it wasn't paid? I don't know, but its suspicious.

If only you lot would hold your health care or defense industries to the same standard of anti corruption diligence as you do some random dude who may or may not have got a free lunch and if that free lunch implied undue influence on his review. Of a car. For a tech website.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

If only you lot would hold your health care or defense industries to the same standard of anti corruption diligence as you do some random dude who may or may not have got a free lunch and if that free lunch implied undue influence on his review. Of a car. For a tech website.

We've reached peak thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

We've reached peak thread.

Wait I haven't got to Hitler yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's about ethics in car journalism

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I'd gladly hold both of those to higher standards if it was feasible to do so.

Fortunately, this is a thread about EVs and not about health care or national defense.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Hahaha you loving moron at least own it and admit you were wrong (and apologize to drgitlin for libeling him in a manner that was both overwrought and barely coherent).

There are outlets who refuse to let vendors pay for trips if it would cause a conflict, and they pay their own way instead. It's because they have higher standards for their journalism, and put their money where their mouth is.

God you buffoon.

Nothing said was libelous, also good luck showing damages to the judge, arising from content posted on a private, internet-comedy forum.

Good thing you're on the case.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Agronox posted:

And there it is, 400km range in the "extended" edition that'll be out early next year.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

gas thread ban everyone

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

stevobob posted:

gas thread ban everyone

The only gas that belongs in this thread is of the natrual variety, pal.*

* Full disclosure it's a joke about gasoline and natural gas electric power plants and I was not paid to write it.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

KakerMix posted:

The only gas that belongs in this thread is of the natrual variety, pal.*

* Full disclosure it's a joke about gasoline and natural gas electric power plants and I was not paid to write it.

I got your natural gas right here, pal *leans over and sharts while typing a post about ethics in car journalism*

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

New Leaf seems decent.

quote:

The all-new model improves on just about everything from the outgoing Leaf, though the smooth, egg-like styling did slowly grow on me. Nonetheless, the new Leaf now has an EPA-estimated 150 miles of range from a new 40 kWh battery. Nissan claims it will reveal a more powerful Leaf sometime next year.

Previous leaked reported figures of 147 horsepower and 236 lb-ft of torque have been confirmed, and top speed is limited to 87 mph. The gross vehicle weight is rated at 4,453 pounds.

Could be a nice little commuter car. Base is $29,900--after incentives that might be pretty attractive to a lot of people. Comes to the US in early 2018 they say.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-nissan-leaf-is-no-tesla-model-3-but-it-wont-co-1800664984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Looks like a competent little commuter. Wonder how cheap they'll be going for on lease deals? The main selling point of the previous leaf was the pricing being stupid cheap.

• Locked thread