Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not at all. You can run any dungeon in the game with four dps, four healers, or four tanks and many of them with only 2 people regardless of role. We've queued up premades plenty of times with wrong compositions for expert and other roulettes and still crushed it.

What? How do you run temple of the fist without a healer? And since you're saying "four dps" I'm assuming you mean you can do it with 4 ninjas or something that don't have access to healing outside of second wind/bloodbath.

I'm also fully aware of who you are and how much you understand about this game, so that's why I'm pretty taken aback by this unless there's more context, like "it was expert but we had a black mage so we could use cure" or something. I could see some dps comps with the max ilvl cap doing an expert dungeon, depending on the dungeon, but just a generic statement that it's always possible?

SonicRulez posted:

All 3 roles are necessary, that is why you are placed in a party and expected to work harmoniously. Namaste.

Yeah that's not what people in this thread mean when they start jumping on the primadonna tank train. Usually it trends toward "Tanks are all unnecessary and should be glad that us DPS/healers are around to carry them" which is waaaaaay too far in the opposite direction. When you join a dungeon as a dps/healer, you'll be happy if you get a competent tank that pulls well and adjusts to what the group can handle correctly, so there actually is a good standard to judge tanks on. The issue isn't the tank running the show, it's when a lovely person tries to run the show. It's just as bad as anyone in the group pulling too much or just being lovely at other people and arguing instead of just doing the dungeon.

People are poo poo, learning to work with poo poo people is a social skill that you should work on anyway because it will help you so much in life in general.

And the main lesson I took away from that goon's story was "don't play on ps4 without a keyboard so that you can actually talk to people."

Countblanc posted:

Tanks not named DRK always need it

gently caress that I give it to the other physical dps if they exist. The tank's threat isn't going anywhere on big pulls and their DPS isn't as significant as the other DPS's. G2G FAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

gently caress that I give it to the other physical dps if they exist. The tank's threat isn't going anywhere on big pulls and their DPS isn't as significant as the other DPS's. G2G FAST.

Well the context was literally "I rarely get put with other melee dps because of the queueing algorithm" so maybe take a relax

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Haquer posted:

I make a dps tank for 15 seconds and get called a literal game ruining player

Literal game ruining tank sits during a trash pull over Goad and goons rush in to defend him?

:psyboom:

Maybe if you were a complete cock about it and had the healer be your yes man and make analogies like "goad is like a turn signal, everyone has one but not everyone knows how to use it" goons would defend you.

There wasn't even a general incline. That was literally everything said, he immediately started throwing a fit, threatening to wait after every pull (he didn't), sat down mid pull on the second pull then booted right after the second pull. Not a "hey can you goad?" then getting mad when it doesn't happen, just an immediate "YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE NICE?" Yes man: GOAD?! Tank: YEAH!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
tbh everyone needs to check their ego at the door in boring rear end four man content.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Tanks not named DRK always need it

I know, but I hardly ever see warriors anymore and the paladins in my groups never run out of TP :iiam: (it's not, it goes back to "they bad!")

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haquer posted:

I make a dps tank for 15 seconds and get called a literal game ruining player

Literal game ruining tank sits during a trash pull over Goad and goons rush in to defend him?

:psyboom:

DPS gets asked to use goad on a tank, and not only doesn't, but also says absolutely nothing for five minutes and continues to dps as if he's ignoring the tank, and gets kicked for it. Goons rush in to defend him.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

I know, but I hardly ever see warriors anymore and the paladins in my groups never run out of TP :iiam: (it's not, it goes back to "they bad!")

the pld won't have time to bottom out on TP if the dps is good, so congratulations i guess

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I hope they make it so that Sprint eats all your TP again because it was a lot of fun eating an accidental goad as a caster then popping sprint in response.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've played on PS4 without a keyboard the entire time. It's fine. Usually you aren't grouped with "Do what I say when I say it or get booted." If that were to ever happen to me, I'd make a wanking motion, and then re-queue for EXDR or whatever. Like someone else said, there's really no reason to care that much about any 4 man content.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
full disclosure: if i'm stupid enough to queue as a tank, ask for shadewalker, and get ignored, i'm going to pull in sword oath anyway and passive-aggressively cover whoever takes enmity.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
we're all living in glass houses here, basically

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What? How do you run temple of the fist without a healer? And since you're saying "four dps" I'm assuming you mean you can do it with 4 ninjas or something that don't have access to healing outside of second wind/bloodbath.

I'm also fully aware of who you are and how much you understand about this game, so that's why I'm pretty taken aback by this unless there's more context, like "it was expert but we had a black mage so we could use cure" or something. I could see some dps comps with the max ilvl cap doing an expert dungeon, depending on the dungeon, but just a generic statement that it's always possible?

You're not going to speedrun anything and you'll probably need someone with a raise like a rdm or smn at a minimum, but I've done a few of the bosses with just a PLD and a RDM when the healer has DCed and the other DPS keeps dying or whatnot. Dungeons are made to be completed by even the most braindead players.

Also I'm definitely not anything special and my opinions can be wrong on things. I'm definitely a moron from time to time, but this game is deliberately forgiving in dungeons to the point where any role can be superfluous.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Renegret posted:

I hope they make it so that Sprint eats all your TP again because it was a lot of fun eating an accidental goad as a caster then popping sprint in response.

If no one is AOEing to need TP I'll put goad on casters for fun.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you need to actually purchase the 90 days of sub time during the promotion. if you didn't buy more than a month at a time, it's unlikely you bought 3 months during the promotion so far.

I have purchased it and it doesn't show up. June 27th, July 27th, Aug 26th. Bunch of hot garbage. I'll make a ticket with SE

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

DPS gets asked to use goad on a tank, and not only doesn't, but also says absolutely nothing for five minutes and continues to dps as if he's ignoring the tank, and gets kicked for it. Goons rush in to defend him.

There's no contractual obligation to respond to anyone, even if they're being polite, in party chat.

Kicking someone for not using goad (or defending the act of kicking someone for using goad) is the kind of poo poo that cements your position in the grime layer at the very bottom of the DF pool you petulant child. Just do the 20 minute dungeon, withhold your commendation as a final passive aggressive fart and move on.

If you take a look at the reasons available to kick someone, none of them mention your damaged superiority complex, so do yourself and everyone else a favor and just quit the sub optimal dungeon run instead. Thanks!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I'm doing PotD for XP since I basically have to get 47-49 with no quests available, and I can't queue for the 31st floor because it says my gear is insufficient. So do I have to reset back to floor one and hope I actually get silver chests to spawn so I can have my gear higher than +13 Arm +4 Armor?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bolow posted:

So I'm doing PotD for XP since I basically have to get 47-49 with no quests available, and I can't queue for the 31st floor because it says my gear is insufficient? So do I have to reset back to floor one and hope I actually get silver chests to spawn so I can have my gear higher than +13 Arm +4 Armor?

Yes. Or use the second save slot if you haven't already to go back to 1.

Potd is what you call 'not good'.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
counterpoint: kick whoever you want, whenever you want, as long as you can get someone else to go for it

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have purchased it and it doesn't show up. June 27th, July 27th, Aug 26th. Bunch of hot garbage. I'll make a ticket with SE

the promotion didn't start until july so your june sub money doesn't count

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Velthice posted:

the promotion didn't start until july so your june sub money doesn't count

Except:

quote:

If you have remaining subscription time that was purchased before the campaign period, or you have an active recurring subscription, we will calculate any remaining game time available as of Saturday, July 1, towards the campaign.

Oh.....

Oh that's loving bullshit. (because it starts on july 1st, and i purchased on the 27th, that's only 66~ or so days paid "DURING" the promo period). I would have had to pay for four months based on when i purchased. t:mad:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 5, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shere posted:

There's no contractual obligation to respond to anyone, even if they're being polite, in party chat.

Kicking someone for not using goad (or defending the act of kicking someone for using goad) is the kind of poo poo that cements your position in the grime layer at the very bottom of the DF pool you petulant child. Just do the 20 minute dungeon, withhold your commendation as a final passive aggressive fart and move on.

If you take a look at the reasons available to kick someone, none of them mention your damaged superiority complex, so do yourself and everyone else a favor and just quit the sub optimal dungeon run instead. Thanks!

Alternatively I could just kick them and not give a gently caress.

There's no contractual obligation to not kick someone for any reason you feel like.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Bolow posted:

So I'm doing PotD for XP since I basically have to get 47-49 with no quests available, and I can't queue for the 31st floor because it says my gear is insufficient. So do I have to reset back to floor one and hope I actually get silver chests to spawn so I can have my gear higher than +13 Arm +4 Armor?

Have you checked the side room in the waking sands where all the folks you barely know hang out? There should be seeds for a few 47-49 quests there that'll help, unless you've already done those.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

Have you checked the side room in the waking sands where all the folks you barely know hang out? There should be seeds for a few 47-49 quests there that'll help, unless you've already done those.

I have not, I'll take a look over there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

There's no contractual obligation to not kick someone for any reason you feel like.

Abusing the kick function is something you can pretty reliably be GM'd for actually.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hm yea I dunno then. :shrug: good luck with your ticket

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

You do you, but don't act like you're not the socially maladjusted pubbie in this scenario.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Abusing the kick function is something you can pretty reliably be GM'd for actually.

:wrong:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do my best to have a fast, clean run no matter what role I'm playing and no matter how bad the shitters I'm paired with are. Doing anything else is being an rear end in a top hat primadonna

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

incorrect, you can only get in trouble for stuff you say, but "abusing the votekick system" is basically a nonexistant offense ever since they went and basically gave people the go ahead to kick whoever, whenever for difference of playstyles

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Velthice posted:

incorrect, you can only get in trouble for stuff you say, but "abusing the votekick system" is basically a nonexistant offense ever since they went and basically gave people the go ahead to kick whoever, whenever for difference of playstyles

If you say so. I've seen it happen so v:shobon:v

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Obviously no contractual obligation to avoid self-cannibalizing pettiness, but it's a lovely hill to die on.

The times I need Goad are far less common than when I need a self heal or two, or my own TP recovery, or a stun (Kenki Release/various Fist trash casts), or an enmity drop. DRGs can more easily make room for Goad due to Elusive, but it's loving Duty Finder for two month old content. It's more efficient to switch to single target rotation around 200-300 TP than to take a stand on it with randos.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
If you avoid standing in the orange parts of the ground you won't need a self heal or two

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If you say so. I've seen it happen so v:shobon:v

How do you prove that the majority of the party agreeing that they want to remove someone from the party constitutes abuse of the system that allows you to do exactly that?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
just lol if you dont zone into your daily exdr say hi, pull, kill poo poo, zone out. I am noticing a lot more healers dpsing which is nice. Even when I do giant pulls. And they don't give a poo poo if I go dps stance on bosses.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Saint Freak posted:

If you avoid standing in the orange parts of the ground you won't need a self heal or two

Exactly. Definitely covered since there's no unavoidable damage and all healers in DF are pro.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
A heal that heals four people that take unavoidable damage and a heal that hits 3 people and 1 dude that second winded cost the same.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Saint Freak posted:

You'd think that but when the tank double pulls the latter third of Kugane and the two maru-robots end up on either side of him there's not a whole lot of places to stand in melee where you're not going to get hit by their constant clearout cleaves.

I suppose you could stand behind one and single target it down but that's slow and bad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My primary use for second wind these days is when pugging O3S during the dimensional wave->cave waltz. Since everybody is running around I might miss one of the heals by being out of range but second wind usually sorts that out

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

How do you prove that the majority of the party agreeing that they want to remove someone from the party constitutes abuse of the system that allows you to do exactly that?

Were they afk, offline, or harassing you?

e: Maybe they were "cheating" you out of a speed clear lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely and wholeheartedly feel like goons play an entirely different game from me to be honest. Like the FFXIV I hear discussed here is a hellhole of angry DPS-counters who are giant assholes to each other and get into screaming matches and have huge disaster runs with honest healers and ice-only black mages or whatever and then I actually play the game and it's a genuinely chill and relaxed group of people where the most significant difference outside of savage content is a relatively short time different and most people are friendly and helpful.

Like the case I mentioned above was the GM talking to people in a LS I was part of because they kicked a healer because their friend signed on and said so in chat and apparently that was enough to get a GM talking to them. (From what they said at least when they were whining.) Even if it wasn't it's pretty weird to go "Well it's PART OF THE SYSTEM so WHATEVER" as if it doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat to do it. You can also roll for poo poo you promised not to roll for and a GM will come talk to you about that too.

It's just so weird to me what a huge gap there is between discussions here and what I actually see in play. v:shobon:v