Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Claude fails to save Alice from the bad man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hey Bro that's a sweet av, what game is that from

Edit: nmnd guys, I looked it up and found it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foY1eCqXP5g

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
huniepop

v :smug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ventana posted:

Hey Bro that's a sweet av, what game is that from

Can't say 'cuz it spoils Mystic Quest.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Barudak posted:

Nobody has ever actually played FFVII, theyve only learned the plot from the spinoff titles and from fanfiction stories

To be fair, if you played FFVII as a young kid or you weren't paying attention, I can see how you'd miss that plot point. It doesn't amount to a whole lot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Death of the author

quote:

Kitase, whose résumé is far too long to list in one paragraph but includes director credits on Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VII, was in Seattle last week for PAX West to talk about his most recent game, Mobius Final Fantasy. Of course, as I told him, I couldn’t resist the urge to ask about his older work, too.

I told Kitase I wanted to ask about some popular Final Fantasy fan theories. Laughing, Kitase addressed each one, debunking (and, once, quasi-confirming) the wild hypotheses that fans have dreamed up over the years.

On the theory that Final Fantasy VI’s costumed Gogo is really Daryl, Setzer’s old friend:

“That’s probably not true,” Kitase said, speaking through a translator. “I don’t think there’s any background setting like that. If that’s true, then because Daryl had that beautiful ending, if [she] ended up being Gogo, that would just destroy all that.”

So, I asked, did Gogo have a secret identity? Was he supposed to be General Leo or perhaps Adlai Stevenson?

No, Kitase said. Final Fantasy VI’s two optional characters, Gogo and Umaro, “actually did not carry any background story. They were just there for you to select if you want them to be in battle.”

On the theory that Final Fantasy VIII’s Squall dies at the end of Disc 1 when he’s stabbed by Edea’s ice spear and that the rest of the game is his dream:

“No, that is not true,” Kitase said, laughing. “I think he was actually stabbed around the shoulder area, so he was not dead. But that is a very interesting idea, so if we ever do make a remake of Final Fantasy VIII, I might go along with that story in mind.”

On the theory that Final Fantasy VIII’s Rinoa is really Ultimecia:

“No, that is not true,” Kitase said. “I don’t think I’ll incorporate that even if we do remake the game. But that being said, both Rinoa and Ultimecia are witches, so in that sense they are similar, but they’re not the same person.”

On the theory that Final Fantasy VII’s Knights of the Round are really the Cetra that defeated Jenova a thousand years before the events of the game:

“Everyone’s thinking too deeply, reading between the lines too much,” laughed Kitase. “That makes it difficult because if you think about it that way, we might have to make it that way. That’s definitely not true.”

Kitase added that artist Tetsuya Nomura, best known as the director of Kingdom Hearts, created all of the summons in Final Fantasy VII. “They don’t have any background story attached to them,” Kitase said.

On the theory that in Final Fantasy VII you’d originally be able to bring Aeris back to life, but that was cut from the game:

“We did hear that there were talks amongst fans that if you use a bug in the game you can revive Aeris and she will be with you until the end of the game,” Kitase said. “It might be good in a fantastical story that you can revive the characters, but with FFVII, we wanted to really take another look at that, look at human life, and [make people] realize they don’t come back.”

When Kitase and his team first started development on Final Fantasy VII, he added, they saw some other company give a survey to little children that asked if they thought people come back to life after they die. “A lot of the kids actually said yes to that question,” Kitase said. “There are all these fantasy stories where, [for example], the princess would come back from death with the kiss of her prince. For children, it was normal for them that people would come back to life. And we wanted to question that idea and thought. So we wanted to depict that there is weight to life, and just put weight on the loss as well to life, and that’s where we all started with Final Fantasy VII. That was our core concept.”

And finally, on the theory that Final Fantasy X-2's Shinra character went on to start Shinra in Final Fantasy VII, meaning that both universes are connected:

“I won’t completely come out and say that it is the same world,” said Kitase. “However, Shinra in FFX-2 was created by [Kazushige] Nojima, the scenario writer, and when he thought him up, he thought it might be good if people would imagine that after a few years after the story of Final Fantasy X-2, that person Shinra will grow up and start the Shinra company. So that is something that he did hint in there. That being said, I’m not gonna say that it’s the same.”

One out of six ain’t bad!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tae posted:

Death of the author

I'm not big on 8 but I would buy a remake where Squall gets loving murked in a heartbeat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

quote:

When Kitase and his team first started development on Final Fantasy VII, he added, they saw some other company give a survey to little children that asked if they thought people come back to life after they die. “A lot of the kids actually said yes to that question,” Kitase said. “There are all these fantasy stories where, [for example], the princess would come back from death with the kiss of her prince. For children, it was normal for them that people would come back to life. And we wanted to question that idea and thought. So we wanted to depict that there is weight to life, and just put weight on the loss as well to life, and that’s where we all started with Final Fantasy VII. That was our core concept.”

This owns lmao.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
we started this game wanting to tell children that people die

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Your loved ones in fantasy are just as ephemeral and finite as your loved ones made of flesh and bone.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My loved ones are made of rubber

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Meanwhile, giant meteors crashing into the planet can be diverted if said dead person really wants that to happen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What the gently caress Ultimecia being Rinoa is like the most obvious reading of the plot of ff8 how is it not true

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

The whole "Gogo was Daryl" is easily debunked by the Gogo mimic character archetype being introduced in FF5 anyway. It only came about because FF5 was skipped over and the west didn't have that previous game as a reference. Like, of course Gogo the mimic in FF6 is a nod to the same thing in FF5; having different stories but similar game concepts/mechanics/terms/etc. is a foundation of the FF series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress Ultimecia being Rinoa is like the most obvious reading of the plot of ff8 how is it not true

Because there's not actually anything backing it up in game except loose connections that are explained elsewhere and we actually are told Ultimecia's character and motivation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Because for all we loving know Ultimecia could live a million years in the future because the game goes out of its way just to repeatedly say she's from the nebulous "future," which of course encompasses everything rfom one second from now until the end of time. And although it's easy enough to read Sorceresses are immortal from the game's continued insistence that a Sorceress must pass on their power before they die, that is not the case.

Even still, R=U is the only way Ultimecia has any loving character and it also makes Rinoa more interesting too so I am all for this theory.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 5, 2017

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

NikkolasKing posted:

Even still, R=U is the only way Ultimecia has any loving character and it also makes Rinoa more interesting too so I am all for this theory.

Pretty much this. The whole theory came from the fact that both Rinoa and Ultimecia have as much depth as a card-board cut-out and people tried to come up with an explanation that made both of them relatively interesting in some shape or form.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
More FFs need to be made that intentionally ruin the ideas of children. A FF game where you learn Santa isn't real and instead a national holiday is a secret mass economic brainwashing tool, etc.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Ventana posted:

More FFs need to be made that intentionally ruin the ideas of children. A FF game where you learn Santa isn't real and instead a national holiday is a secret mass economic brainwashing tool, etc.

A FF where only a very small percentage of which are actually beatable, the rest only get varying degrees into the game when they can go no further.

You're not special children. None of you are. Some of you just get lucky by being at the right place and the right time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

Because for all we loving know Ultimecia could live a million years in the future because the game goes out of its way just to repeatedly say she's from the nebulous "future," which of course encompasses everything rfom one second from now until the end of time.
In their defense, it doesn't matter when she's from because

TIME

KOMPRESSION

Ultimecia's C-to-K accent (when there's a C in her own name no less) was probably the weirdest thing about her and that's saying something.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Of all the fan theories to ask, I would have asked him if Gilgamesh is the same character in every FF game.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

seiferguy posted:

Of all the fan theories to ask, I would have asked him if Gilgamesh is the same character in every FF game.

He's like Deadpool is in Marvel comics. Breaking the fourth wall only he can see. That way he gets to be all WACKY and LOLRANDOM while writers can still have a canonical reason to ignore him and what his existence means in the greater scheme of things.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

seiferguy posted:

He explicitly is

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

A FF where only a very small percentage of which are actually beatable, the rest only get varying degrees into the game when they can go no further.

You're not special children. None of you are. Some of you just get lucky by being at the right place and the right time.

They did that in FFXIV it was called Raubahn Savage and unsurprisingly people got Very Mad About It.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Calaveron posted:

He explicitly is
Probably not the same as the Gilgamesh in FF15 though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Gilgamesh is from the Creator's race.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Probably not the same as the Gilgamesh in FF15 though.

Never got far enough to meet ffxv Greg so what's that guy's deal

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Yeah man that's not a fan theory, that's text.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tired Moritz posted:

we started this game wanting to tell children that people die

Better than the Yoko Taro version.

"We started this game wanting to tell people that children die."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ventana posted:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Shut up Ramza lite! This world is as real to me as the next one! Nobody likes you anyway! :mad:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calaveron posted:

Never got far enough to meet ffxv Greg so what's that guy's deal
He's in Gladio's DLC, he's a one-armed swordmaster ghost and Battle on the Big Bridge is a (really polarizing) version done by the Nier music guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jro_IzMFBbU

(as far as I know that and XI Gilgamesh are the only Gilgameshes that aren't the Greg, although there's an argument for the Six-Armed Man from IX as well I think)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I know it's a XIV thing or whatever but i do not like greg as a name for cool interdimensional swordsman Gilgamesh

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Help Im Alive posted:

I know it's a XIV thing or whatever but i do not like greg as a name for cool interdimensional swordsman Gilgamesh

I do.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Greg does sound like the kind of ridiculously ineffectual and mundane name he'd pick for himself if he were trying to stay incognito.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Greg is a good name and even better when paired with the title INTERDIMENSIONAL SWORDSMAN

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
And let's not forget his eternal compatriot and stalwart friend, Eddy!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Help Im Alive posted:

i dont either and I play FFXIV. people need to friggin respect gilgamesh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

I'm not big on 8 but I would buy a remake where Squall gets loving murked in a heartbeat.

Like the crazy game of thrones fight club fan theories, it was always obvious to me that "squall is dead" wasn't the intended narrative, but I do admire the fans for trying to find somehow to twist that broken narrative into something functional.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Nobody likes you anyway! :mad:

The only thing I can remember about him is his ridiculous pizza-cutter sword and extremely over-designed clothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Zaphod42 posted:

Like the crazy game of thrones fight club fan theories, it was always obvious to me that "squall is dead" wasn't the intended narrative, but I do admire the fans for trying to find somehow to twist that broken narrative into something functional.

When the fandom can come up with a more interesting and compelling perspective with the meager pieces offered to them, you really gotta wonder what that says about the narrative that was given and presented by the supposed professionals.

Zaphod42 posted:

The only thing I can remember about him is his ridiculous pizza-cutter sword and extremely over-designed clothing

At least the loser from the sequel had a somewhat visually distinctive look.