Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FilthyImp posted:

I took C+ programming in High School and that was an ungodly exercise in frustration given that there was no documentation, the teacher was just learning C+, and I didn't have interwebs to help. Everything was just so abstracted for me that it didn't click at all.

Are you missing a + or am I missing the joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you missing a + or am I missing the joke?
What, you mean you didn't learn about C+? :smuggo:

My bad, it was probably C++ (can't remember if the teacher was going from C to C++ or from some other language to C). Whatever CodeWarrior was handling around 98 anyway.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

divabot posted:

This doesn't mean they'll all become coders, but they will get the basic idea concerning the machinery that our civilisation literally runs on now - that it isn't magic, it's something humans can do, including them if they want.

FilthyImp posted:

My elementary circa late 80s was incredibly forward thinking with respect to computers, and the sum of most of their Lab time was learning how the 5.x floppy drive worked, getting to use KidPix or the Oregon Trail or learning the basics of The Writing Center.

The goal was to demystify the computer through regular interaction, since the loving things were godlike expensive unicorns at the time.

This is absolutely the right thing to do, and it's much more useful than drilling whatever programming language is currently the trendiest (and which will very likely become irrelevant ten years down the line) into kids without any appreciation for how they generally understand and interact with tech.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
20 years ago schools that weren't teaching kid/beginner focused stuff like LOGO and BASIC were mostly teaching C/C++ - still relevant today. 10 years ago they were teaching Java, which is still huge even though the specific user-facing applet fad died off - hell lots of kids still learn it on their own to gently caress with Minecraft. And of course 10 years ago and now you still often see LOGO or BASIC used for courses just meant to teach the basics of programming concepts although you're never really supposed to do anything serious with them based on what you'd learn there.

I don't really think schools focus too often on "trendy" languages that don't stick around long term, they instead focus on popular languages that simply won't be the biggest trend in a while but remain important things to know for an actual job in programming. After all, it's a bit difficult to get a curriculum on the latest flash in the pan that compiles down to Javascript or whatever.

The AP Computer Science curriculum and tests for instance did PASCAL from 1984-1998 (though PASCAL made a lot more sense to teach back in the 80s of course), C++ 1999-2003, and Java since 2004. And while the AP courses are naturally meant for high school, it's pretty common for middle school level courses in schools that offer it to be aligned to "meet up" with the AP course's requirements, and for any non-AP level computer science course in the high school to follow the same languages.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

the old ceremony posted:

i think that instead of coding, schools should teach basic social skills and empathy

Parents should too.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I might take the whole "learn2code" campaign a little more seriously if it didn't seem to be backed by companies that will tell candidates to gently caress off if they have 10 years experience in Java 1.4-7 but not the ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL Java 8 experience.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

I might take the whole "learn2code" campaign a little more seriously if it didn't seem to be backed by companies that will tell candidates to gently caress off if they have 10 years experience in Java 1.4-7 but not the ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL Java 8 experience.

otoh java 8 is p great

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

also looking forward to jpms with java 9! can't wait for java modules

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Try telling that to a bank IT department.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gazpacho posted:

Try telling that to a bank IT department.

tbh i'm surprised they're not using cobol on cogs

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Gazpacho posted:

Link to a real world example of this happening? I have sold IT services for the better part of a decade and in my experience, companies typically don't give a poo poo if someone is certified on the absolute latest version of XYZ product if they have substantial experience (especially recent experience) in earlier versions. Unless you find someone who's an absolute phenom at Java 1.4 and hasn't touched a more recent example than that, to use your example.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My favorite was in the '90s, when I saw a company advertising for 5 years experience in Java, which at that particular date required you to be James Gosling.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I guess I should have clarified - companies without a dedicated IT recruiter (or someone who at least listens diligently to their IT team) will always be boneheaded when it comes to hiring. When I've actually gotten my guys in front of the IT team, I've never had an issue. Since we were always contractors, I rarely spoke to HR at all.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't have a specific example on hand (and don't know about Java versions) but as an aside: I have read some bizarrely specific and adamant job descriptions that scanned as a negative photograph of a former "bad" employee.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

pangstrom posted:

I don't have a specific example on hand (and don't know about Java versions) but as an aside: I have read some bizarrely specific and adamant job descriptions that scanned as a negative photograph of a former "bad" employee.

some of those exist to justify h1b hires, by claiming no-one (but the person the company wants to recruit) fits the job description

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shooting Blanks posted:

Link to a real world example of this happening? I have sold IT services for the better part of a decade and in my experience, companies typically don't give a poo poo if someone is certified on the absolute latest version of XYZ product if they have substantial experience (especially recent experience) in earlier versions. Unless you find someone who's an absolute phenom at Java 1.4 and hasn't touched a more recent example than that, to use your example.
Here you go.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's a crappy local ISP that will advertise for a web developer and in the ad they'll want someone to know Corel DRAW. Last time I saw one of those ads it was 2012.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Condiv posted:

some of those exist to justify h1b hires, by claiming no-one (but the person the company wants to recruit) fits the job description
Some others are just pro-forma things for roles they have an internal person to fill but have to solicit external applicants for various reasons.

The negative exposure ones though are less insanely-demanding and more inappropriately energetic on specific competencies or social skills in a way that tells a story.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Condiv posted:

also looking forward to jpms with java 9! can't wait for java modules

Are those like Java Cassettes?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my son will learn how to milk a goat and calve a cow, he will learn that burying burnt wood and unburnt wood allows different types of fungi to flourish in the soil, he will learn the ways of the echidna, and he won't know that computers even exist until he turns 21

feller
Jul 5, 2006

the old ceremony posted:

my son will learn how to milk a goat and calve a cow, he will learn that burying burnt wood and unburnt wood allows different types of fungi to flourish in the soil, he will learn the ways of the echidna, and he won't know that computers even exist until he turns 21

This is right up there with those crazy christians trying to pray the sickness out of their kids instead of taking them to a doctor

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

the old ceremony posted:

Your kid is going to be very confused about dicks.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Shakenbaker posted:

Your kid is going to be very confused about dicks.
the more, the merrier

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The first three links I clicked mentioned looking for Java experience in general; the first two said that hands on work with Java 8 would be ideal (but did not specify it as a dealbreaker), while the third, the only mention of 8 specifically was in what the company was doing (ie how they built they systems you'd be working on), nothing in the candidate requirements.

Best of luck with the job search - would doing some open source stuff or a personal project help, do you think? It felt like that would satisfy the first two postings (the third seemed even more lax), which gets your foot in the door at least.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Dog posted:

This is right up there with those crazy christians trying to pray the sickness out of their kids instead of taking them to a doctor
that's not true. the christians reject integration with the earth, i encourage it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Sorry I don't have a recording of a conversation with a recruiter to post, I do have other business to attend besides being able to document everything I say online.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

the old ceremony posted:

Man, you have come straight out of left field with your gimmick but it's v. satisfying, please keep up the good work

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Noggin Monkey posted:

Man, you have come straight out of left field with your gimmick but it's v. satisfying, please keep up the good work

[REDACTED] has been a shining beacon of light on these dead gay forums for ages.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Gazpacho posted:

Sorry I don't have a recording of a conversation with a recruiter to post, I do have other business to attend besides being able to document everything I say online.

I don't doubt that it has happened in the past - but it would seem to me to be a very rare occurrence for a company to need hands on experience with a specific version of a given software/language, if extensive experience in previous versions is apparent. That said, what I have seen a lot of are postings that ask for experience in everything:

Requires:
5 years Oracle/MS SQL
3 years AWS
7 years Java
7 years C++
5 years RHEL
CCNA
VMWare

etc. etc.

What's always funny about those postings is they not only ask for you to be a legitimate expert in everything, they'll also want you on call 24/7 (plus working one weekend a month), with an offer of $42k.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It only stands to reason that someone would make a Keurig for Java :v:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't doubt that it has happened in the past - but it would seem to me to be a very rare occurrence for a company to need hands on experience with a specific version of a given software/language,

I got plenty of that the last time I was looking for consulting work. People insisting Visual C++ was something different than C++ was something different than Borland C++ and so on.

I saw more of it secondhand a after the iPhone SDK had been out for a while. Initially any even marginally relevant experience was a golden ticket. But it wasn't long before recruiters were sucking their teeth and saying "Oooh, we're really looking for iPhone experience, not Mac" to people who were drat experts and could've picked up UIKit in their sleep.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if I went out looking again for recruiters to ding me for not having exactly the right experience with technologies that I helped design. Because recruiters are poo poo and this sort of thing does, in fact, happen all the time.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

A little bit of coding knowledge is to the modern student what a little bit of computer literacy was to our generation. It's something they're expected to know for what they think the workplace is going to look like in 10-20 years.

They're not expecting everyone to be a software developer, but more and more even stuff like Excel requires a bit of knowledge of programming logic to get the most out of.

Coding requires no discipline to do and can be self taught unless you're doing some programming for serious hardware and/or trying to adhere to strict safety standards

Then you spend those hard earned bucks on a CS degree

Significant Ant fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Significant Ant posted:

Coding requires no discipline to do and can be self taught unless you're doing some programming for serious hardware and/or trying to adhere to strict safety standards

Then you spend those hard earned bucks on a CS degree

I said nothing about discipline.

Logic. Logic is the key. Understanding on the fundamental level that computers are machines that follow instructions in the most literal way imaginable, not magic.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Which usually doesn't teach you much of anything about how to write embedded software, or write software that meets specific safety standards.

A CS major might include one class on software engineering that involves developing a spec and/or implementing to a spec, with a certain level of assumption of correctness on the part of the spec. (After all, algorithmic correctness is a topic for a different class…)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

fishmech posted:

The AP Computer Science curriculum and tests for instance did PASCAL from 1984-1998 (though PASCAL made a lot more sense to teach back in the 80s of course), C++ 1999-2003, and Java since 2004. And while the AP courses are naturally meant for high school, it's pretty common for middle school level courses in schools that offer it to be aligned to "meet up" with the AP course's requirements, and for any non-AP level computer science course in the high school to follow the same languages.

I fell into the PASCAL period for AP CS, and I'm glad I did - it's useful to teach in a language that you don't see used much outside of the classroom. It helps abstract the concepts from the implementation. Some universities use languages like Scheme for the same purpose.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gazpacho posted:

Lie and say you have 10 years in Java 8. No, I'm not kidding.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well since the STEM debate is inevitable at this point, can someone let me know in 20-30 pages when something interesting happens again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't doubt that it has happened in the past - but it would seem to me to be a very rare occurrence for a company to need hands on experience with a specific version of a given software/language, if extensive experience in previous versions is apparent. That said, what I have seen a lot of are postings that ask for experience in everything:

Requires:
5 years Oracle/MS SQL
3 years AWS
7 years Java
7 years C++
5 years RHEL
CCNA
VMWare

etc. etc.

What's always funny about those postings is they not only ask for you to be a legitimate expert in everything, they'll also want you on call 24/7 (plus working one weekend a month), with an offer of $42k.

The hiring manager tells HR "we need a mid level person with 5ish years of experience in c++ or java with databases (oracle, mssql, etc), preferably in Linux (we use rhel)" and you get that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Qualifications: be way too good for this job, especially at the rate it pays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

super sweet best pal posted:

Qualifications: be way too good for this job, especially at the rate it pays.

That's like every job ad ever.