Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like I can't even trust any reviews in progress about Destiny 2 since they're likely written by people who played the first game for 3 years straight and there's no way I'd trust anyone that batshit

Wasn't Destiny supposed to get content updates for like 10 years or something preposterous like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

Wasn't Destiny supposed to get content updates for like 10 years or something preposterous like that?

Oh yeah, that`s right. I think they originally said that Destiny would be a platform unto itself and would be continuously updated like an MMO.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

raditts posted:

baby steps. like how now there's apparently microtransaction emblems that give you an in-game edge lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Don't forget about Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone which came out like the second week of January

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What's been everyone's biggest surprise this year that they enjoyed? For me it was Friday the 13th: The Game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Night in the Woods was probably the best game I played this year that I had no prior expectations for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raxivace posted:

What's been everyone's biggest surprise this year that they enjoyed? For me it was Friday the 13th: The Game.

Battle Brothers.... wait I also played Hitman 2016 this year. Gods it's been a busy year. Those two games took 50+ hours from me apiece and I love them dearly and I know they weren't on my radar last year at all.

e: AND I NEED TO PLAY MORE OF NIGHT IN THE WOODS RIGHT

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm playing Hearthstone again and kind of enjoying it, even though it remains a total joke as a competitive game and the mode that Blizzard has actively focused on balancing is, predictably, in worse shape than the one they neglected.

I've wanted Control Shaman to actually be good forever and it finally happened, though, at least for a few more days until the Hex nerf comes down.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

baby steps. like how now there's apparently microtransaction emblems that give you an in-game edge lol
cool, I love russian free to play MMO mechanics, thanks bungie

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Don't forget about Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone which came out like the second week of January

The demo for that is extremely fun and it's testing my "wait for a sale" patience

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

it's in the top 10 bestseller list for console games this year iirc.

there's a lot of early stuff this year (Yakuza 0, RE7, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Night in the Woods) that feels like ages ago.

I think so far my top 10 looks like Yakuza 0, Zelda, Persona 5, Prey, Fire Pro World, maybe RE7. I'm expecting Mario Odyssey, Dishonored 2.5, Metroid to make that list later.

Yakuza 0
Nier
Horizon
Persona
Zelda
In that order for me personally

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Raxivace posted:

Probably Horizon. People that as far as I know have only ever made kinda mediocre brown-grey shooters are making a colorful open world game that didn't have much information for it before release and then it ended up being amazing?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm playing Hearthstone again and kind of enjoying it, even though it remains a total joke as a competitive game and the mode that Blizzard has actively focused on balancing is, predictably, in worse shape than the one they neglected.

I've wanted Control Shaman to actually be good forever and it finally happened, though, at least for a few more days until the Hex nerf comes down.

How are they nerfing hex? I'm guessing mana cost? I stopped following hearthstone after getting annoyed at how they keep making cards with interesting effects garbage and ridiculously straightforward cards busted.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chumbler posted:

How are they nerfing hex? I'm guessing mana cost? I stopped following hearthstone after getting annoyed at how they keep making cards with interesting effects garbage and ridiculously straightforward cards busted.

They're raising it to 4 mana.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Saint Freak posted:

Probably Horizon. People that as far as I know have only ever made kinda mediocre brown-grey shooters are making a colorful open world game that didn't have much information for it before release and then it ended up being amazing?

I don't think you can accuse Horizon of being underhyped. Sony clearly had a lot of confidence in the project from the beginning and poured a ton of marketing dollars into it. The month of its release the PS4 displays in retail stores had that Thunderjaw plastered all over them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think they mean surprise in the sense that nobody believed the hype instead of like came out of nowhere

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was a believer.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah there was hype, I just didn't see a lot of evidence to kind of back that hype up I guess.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When HZD premiered at E3 2015 I remember a bunch of people at the time being like "lol 100% scripted and no way the graphics will be that good" and then it turned out the final game looked even BETTER and all of the stuff Aloy did in taking down that Thunderjaw you could also do in-game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it was fun while it lasted persona 3 but after dying because i fought a mob that casts mamudo and got the ultimate rng facefuck where they all dodged my target-all spell that would've downed them and then they all cast mamudo and every cast of it hit the mc and burned out all my homunculus items and then hit him again, i'm pretty sure i'm done with this game for ever

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
To answer my own question from pages ago re:Nuclear Throne tips

-Take it slow, you'll be tempted to run in guns blazing a lot but suppress the urge
-Keep a weapon that uses bullets since they have the highest amount of ammo you can carry
-Pick mutations wisely, but look out for the ones that restore health or ammo through kills or reduces enemy health
-Be Crystal
-Pick 'em off from the side as much as you can without running into open terrain
-If you spawn out in the open, run for cover
-The enemy's less interested in following you than they are wandering about and firing in your general direction
-The more common troops take their sweet time aiming at you

I've only made it to Big Dog so far

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Yakuza 0 was not in my radar at all. Now it's probably one of my favorite games ever, period.

Mario+Rabbids was also a big surprise because it legit owns despite how everyone poo poo on it upon first discovery.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

it was fun while it lasted persona 3 but after dying because i fought a mob that casts mamudo and got the ultimate rng facefuck where they all dodged my target-all spell that would've downed them and then they all cast mamudo and every cast of it hit the mc and burned out all my homunculus items and then hit him again, i'm pretty sure i'm done with this game for ever

I mean something like that is going to happen at least once or twice with every SMT game

that's just how it is

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Launch should be playable in more dragonball games

Right now I think the games you can play as her in are "0"

Thing is there's very few dragonball games, there's a poo poo ton of dragonball z games and Launch had virtually no role in DBZ whatsoever.

I mean 18 was basically the Z redesign of Launch. Complete with Krillin falling for her.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean 18 was basically the Z redesign of Launch. Complete with Krillin falling for her.

They're both blonde?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do people still play Destiny 1? I just remembered at some point I bought the pack that has all the DLC (at least, I think it's all of it) and also remembered I never even finished the story missions for the base game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

precision posted:

Do people still play Destiny 1? I just remembered at some point I bought the pack that has all the DLC (at least, I think it's all of it) and also remembered I never even finished the story missions for the base game.

Depending on where you are, people will still be playing until tomorrow.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Can anybody sum up Destiny's story for me?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

please, her canonical name is lunch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaphod42 posted:

Thing is there's very few dragonball games, there's a poo poo ton of dragonball z games and Launch had virtually no role in DBZ whatsoever.

that did not stop them from putting arale and android 8 in one of the games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

vermin posted:

halo but with the alliance and the horde

Serf
May 5, 2011

vermin posted:

are you a bad enough space zombie to kill an immortal worm god?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its like Spaceballs but with an actual ball from space

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

vermin posted:

To answer my own question from pages ago re:Nuclear Throne tips

-Take it slow, you'll be tempted to run in guns blazing a lot but suppress the urge
-Keep a weapon that uses bullets since they have the highest amount of ammo you can carry
-Pick mutations wisely, but look out for the ones that restore health or ammo through kills or reduces enemy health
-Be Crystal
-Pick 'em off from the side as much as you can without running into open terrain
-If you spawn out in the open, run for cover
-The enemy's less interested in following you than they are wandering about and firing in your general direction
-The more common troops take their sweet time aiming at you

I've only made it to Big Dog so far

Use Melee weapons because they never run out of ammo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hatoful Boyfriend being one of the monthly PSN+ games made me smirk.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

vermin posted:

if you want to waste 90 minutes, i've heard this is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2avSq-82oI

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spoderman posted:

The demo for that is extremely fun and it's testing my "wait for a sale" patience

I have the feeling Miku is a niche enough product that it may never actually go on sale. I can highly recommend the 50 dollar pack two pack, it's a huge value with like 230 songs and hella outfits. The other dlc isn't really worth it, it's like 20 bucks for another 12 songs, some of which are repeats with just different 'Loids on lead vocals. It does have the Persona 5 crossover outfits though so ...pretty tempting

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

vermin posted:

A bunch of zombies ran around shooting aliens and taking their stuff.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hiiii I'm just about moved into my new place and my computer's all set up so I'm back!! I started playing Aragami and it's kinda cool but the controls are a little odd on console with a controller. Also there was bad glare coming in from the window so I had trouble with the shadow teleporting mechanic (I'll play it again... TONIGHT!!!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Raxivace posted:

My eternal videogame optimism means I'm never surprised when I like game, only when I don't like one.
That said Horizon turning out not be just an okay open world game with robots dinosaurs but one of the best games of the year was cool.

• Locked thread