Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I worked from home for nearly 3 years, loved it for the first 2 years but finally the rarely interacting face to face with people got to me. And then it was only upon returning to meatspace that I realized something I'd been missing: face-to-face networking is HUGELY TREMENDOUSLY IMPORTANT to your entire life and you should never ever WFH if you can't also make a ton of time for doing meaningful social things with other people (like volunteer work).

Knowing people, and having people like you, is just so important to everything. It's by far the most important thing you do at college even if you're studying in a technical field. Beyond just needing the formal qualification of a degree, realistically almost everything you learn in college you could just as easily learn on your own at the public library--the people you develop relationships with is where all the value comes from.

Took me till I was past 30 to really appreciate this, god do I wish I understood this when I was 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Bolded my favorite part of this great post. I love that HOH can acknowledge that some people like one thing, other people like another. Most people extrapolate from their own experiences and can't imagine that other people might view things differently.

Sounds like some of that milqtoaste "South Park" Liberal Truth Is in The MiddLe crap to me!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have a friend in Florida that seems more exasperated with the hurricane and evacuations than anything else. Must be a Floridian thing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have a friend in Florida that seems more exasperated with the hurricane and evacuations than anything else. Must be a Floridian thing.

Our office here is more annoyed at the old thing than worried about it. I'm kinda in the same boat

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Hurricane parties are pretty fun though.

v--- sniped so hard :yotj:

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 5, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

It's definitely a Florida thing. I just made a joke last week that "I don't get out of bed for anything less then a Category 3." That being said, storms this strong are no joke and people regularly under-prepare and act incredibly dumb. Hurricane parties are a real thing. Lots of people just use it for an excuse to get hosed up.

^^^ :argh: ^^^^

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Wouldn't it suck to be stuck at home for several days without power? Why not head up to Disney World for a few days while that gets sorted out? Or am I just not at all in touch with how this works.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You realize that a hurricane qualifies as a Big loving Deal right?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hi, I'm in central florida and this one definitely qualifies as a big loving deal.

Miami is expected to get hit by at least a CAT4 if not a CAT5 hurricane. That is VERY BAD. After Miami it's looking like it might wander right up the middle of Florida all the way into Georgia. Even here in Central Florida it's looking like it will still be at least a CAT3 hurricane if not worse.

So yes, this one as of right now is a big loving deal.

This is how big this loving storm is right now

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I am admittedly ignorant to the severity of hurricane preparations and the consequences of them hitting land. Like, I have an idea what happens, but I've never actually seen or had to live through it. I'm much more used to tornadoes and the entire province being on fire.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I live in Upstate South Carolina but there's always an influx of evacuees that come up from the coast whenever a hurricane hits. Heck even if the hurricane is weakened following landfall, we still have to deal with a lot of flooding.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I am admittedly ignorant to the severity of hurricane preparations and the consequences of them hitting land. Like, I have an idea what happens, but I've never actually seen or had to live through it. I'm much more used to tornadoes and the entire province being on fire.

Irma is the equivalent of an EF4 tornado at the moment.

So a tornado usually moves pretty fast right, now imagine that EF4 tornado sitting over you for hours

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Also, it brings a metric dickton of water with it, basically the hurricane heard you like the ocean, so it brings it to you, because why live next to it, when you can be in it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've been through a couple nasty hurricanes. Even if you're not in a flood prone area, the wind can do some serious damage. I'm also a fan of over preparing for things like this. Even if you won't flood and your structure will be safe you have be be prepared for several days, possibly a week or more of no electricity and the possibility of losing your water supply.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

MF_James posted:

Also, it brings a metric dickton of water with it, basically the hurricane heard you like the ocean, so it brings it to you, because why live next to it, when you can be in it.

This probably made me laugh harder than it should have.

Also, it's not that the wind is blowing; it's what the wind is blowing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*landlockedness intensified*

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This probably made me laugh harder than it should have.

Also, it's not that the wind is blowing; it's what the wind is blowing.

Yeah, tornadoes are dangerous, but the poo poo they carry around is what really escalates the danger. (I assume hurricanes are the same)

My buddy is out doing repair for his father down in Ottawa IL (got hit with a tornado a few months back), the apartment building they own? It had 2 roofs, except the second one was sticking through the original roof up-side-down and at a 45 degree angle and it was originally from a building half a block down.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also losing power in the South suuuuucks this time of year. The humidity is brutal, temperatures are regularly near 100, and if it's that hot during the day it's usually ~85 at night. Imagine that poo poo with no power or running water.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MF_James posted:

I don't know why this made me laugh but it did

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MF_James posted:

Is a metric dickton more or less than a metric fuckton?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Registering Metric Dickton as a parachute account...

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Methanar posted:

*landlockedness intensified*

Nah, West Coast is where it is at. Only thing we have to worry about is earthquakes, fires, and the occasional volcano.
Edit: In fact, it is raining ash today.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
This thread is really making me appreciate Arizona. gently caress tornadoes and double gently caress hurricanes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can we all just pretend I posted hypothetically "cool" screencaps from the movies Volcano or Dante's Inferno? Thanks.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I have an idea for the next discovery channel series, Battles of Nature, first episode would be Hurricane VS Tornado, who wins? No one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Considering hurricanes regularly spawn tornadoes, I am going to go with hurricanes winning. Next questions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A fuckton is 10 dicktons

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

TheFace posted:

This thread is really making me appreciate Arizona. gently caress tornadoes and double gently caress hurricanes.

*dies of thirst*

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Alaska doesn't have hurricanes or tornados.

But you may freeze your balls off, or have a bear encounter while grocery shopping

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The Fool posted:

Alaska doesn't have hurricanes or tornados.

But you may freeze your balls off, or have a bear encounter while grocery shopping

aww that was just a little cub

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Internet Explorer posted:

Also losing power in the South suuuuucks this time of year. The humidity is brutal, temperatures are regularly near 100, and if it's that hot during the day it's usually ~85 at night. Imagine that poo poo with no power or running water.

A major impetus for me leaving Louisiana for Oregon was a hurricane that knocked out my power for three weeks in August, in the middle of a stretch of 100 degree days.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mattfl posted:

Hi, I'm in central florida and this one definitely qualifies as a big loving deal.

I remember being really annoyed as a kid in central florida that I had to help bring in all the stuff not literally bolted down and having to use my parents shower because the bathtub was (bleached then) filled with water for drinking. I once missed that a cat3 apparently passed straight over our town. I just thought it was raining really hard and dark out for several days in a row.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
My wife wants to move so we can be near the ocean but I'll settle for the middle of a corn field for safety.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
People like to poo poo on Delaware for being Delaware but I like it because natural disasters don't happen here very often. All of the beach, not so much of the hurricanes and assorted storm poo poo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheFace posted:

It's 103 right now, and this is a cool evening.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wisconsin ain't so bad if you can get past negative double digits and a foot of snow. But that's been pretty rare in the last few years.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

People like to poo poo on Delaware for being Delaware but I like it because natural disasters don't happen here very often. All of the beach, not so much of the hurricanes and assorted storm poo poo.

Delaware smells worse than Houston though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

Can we all just pretend I posted hypothetically "cool" screencaps from the movies Volcano or Dante's Inferno? Thanks.
Dante's Peak?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, Dante's Peak Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GreenNight posted:

Wisconsin ain't so bad if you can get past negative double digits and a foot of snow. But that's been pretty rare in the last few years.

Get a snowmobile and everywhere snowy is fun again. I love cold and feet of snow - beats the hell out of hot and hurricaney.

PS - stay safe Floridians