Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
bounties were bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Legs Benedict posted:

bounties were bad

Just like your posting

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
bounties were actually awful in the span of time before motes could be consumed for experience because they were just about the only way to level up your weapons/armor and they were generally loving terrible.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

limaCAT posted:

Just like your posting

counterpoint: my posting is good, unlike bounties

which to be clear are fine conceptually. daily/weekly repeatable tasks that you can use for rep/occasionally gear are fine and bog standard for an MMO, but destiny's implementation coupled with the general scarcity of content made them bad. game was a lot better when i stopped worrying about completing them all the dang time

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the later bounties were really good. getting nightfall-quality rewards from pvp and the ability to get guaranteed legendaries of a certain type by using them in pvp was good design.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Applied two 2 chill 2 serious as BongQuixote. I need to just sever my internet connection and play Pillars of eternity until it comes out. Only played destiny on other peoples consoles and never wanted to buy console for a single game.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the later bounties were really good. getting nightfall-quality rewards from pvp and the ability to get guaranteed legendaries of a certain type by using them in pvp was good design.

yeah fair. i had mostly stopped doing them by that point but it was definitely a big improvement

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think i stopped doing the dumbass bounty master bounties after like, the dark below. they'd give you a pittance in xp, i don't even remember them giving faction rep, and i don't think it was until way later that they would give planetary mats for completion (if this ever even happened, maybe i dreamt it)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Legs Benedict posted:

counterpoint: my posting is good, unlike bounties

which to be clear are fine conceptually. daily/weekly repeatable tasks that you can use for rep/occasionally gear are fine and bog standard for an MMO, but destiny's implementation coupled with the general scarcity of content made them bad. game was a lot better when i stopped worrying about completing them all the dang time

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Yeah like everything in Destiny the vanilla implementation was awful and not very rewarding and generally bad, but the later expansion stuff did some really fun rewarding things that gave you reasons to gently caress around in patrol space or do specific pvp stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Destiny 2 PC uses battle.net so it'll be per region only. EU can't play with US, etc.

You can but you have to exit the game, select EU region and vice versa, and launch Destiny 2 again. It's super annoying and doesn't make any sense.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Destiny 2 PC uses battle.net so it'll be per region only. EU can't play with US, etc.

This could be a bless in disguise has one problem of Destiny pvp is that Bungie like score based matchmaking a bit too much. So the better you are, the more you have to wait for a game, and the laggier are the other players. By forcing players in the same region, you cap how far it can do the matchmaking. Could result on a better pvp for most players.

Is kind of weird. A external limitation, the game is not really build to have that limitation before. Maybe the game just ignore it once you are login?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

I said come in! posted:

You can but you have to exit the game, select EU region and vice versa, and launch Destiny 2 again. It's super annoying and doesn't make any sense.

But as said in that post you can't play with multiple continents in the same fireteam though. I did that a lot in D1 with goons.

We could work around it by everyone selecting the same continent. :pwn:

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I made this for us PC players.

https://imgur.com/EEB6Nik

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I made this for us PC players.

https://imgur.com/EEB6Nik

This truly captures my feelings today.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm the dad because I bought both

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I'm the dad because I bought both

My friend who only plays things on PS4, purchased a PS4 Pro and offered me his old regular PS4 and a TV if I wanted to play on PS4 with him. I declined since I already pre-purchased it for PC and am sure I won't have the time or inclination to play on both platforms. I also suck even worse at FPS games with a controller (I am not amazing with kb/m but I used to be pretty good back in the day, so maybe I can re-learn! I've never been good at controllers)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/4vAdD8z.gifv

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The game looks awesome as hell using super wide res across 3 screens :)

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm doing both PS4 and pc.

PS4 will be for primarily pve, PC for pvp.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

But as said in that post you can't play with multiple continents in the same fireteam though. I did that a lot in D1 with goons.

We could work around it by everyone selecting the same continent. :pwn:

Why would the result be any different? Its not like you guys didn't have to connect to each other in D1.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
pretty jealous of you double dippers at this point

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/905086480133083136

This wasn't the case with the first Destiny, was it?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Dackel posted:

No, but it's also not really a big deal. You'll get thousands of those same items just by playing the game, leveling up and completing objectives.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

you could buy gear in Destiny 1 but the bonuses were different and not as pronounced as they may be here.

otoh, you can earn all of that stuff through playing the game anyway and the "gameplay bonus" stuff is all single use consumables that get erased when you use a new one

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dackel posted:

For fucks sake it's a £45 game with regular dlc that's effectively mandatory

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dackel posted:

No. That's loving ridiculous.

Regardless how how minor an impact it has it's disgusting. Especially as we didn't know about it until now.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
At least you have time to cancel your pre orders

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's the exact same model used in D1. Stuff found in those loot boxes are effectively useless until you pump gear found only by playing into them to even make them wearable.

Yes it toes the line a bit it isn't nearly a big deal as it seems. Calm the gently caress down you sissies.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 5, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dackel posted:

At launch, no, but after a few expansions they did add a Real Money Store into the game, mostly cosmetic, but it would let you buy loot boxes too.

That said, the things you got from the boxes are still things you can earn for free, so its not like an outright advantage. Its just paying to save time, which is pretty common in RPGs.

Steve2911 posted:

No. That's loving ridiculous.

Regardless how how minor an impact it has it's disgusting. Especially as we didn't know about it until now.

Silver store was in D1

Thirsty Dog posted:

For fucks sake it's a £45 game with regular dlc that's effectively mandatory

Destiny 1 was basically a $200 videogame.

Thing is for most people World of Warcraft is like a $1000 videogame.

So... :shrug: up to you if its worth it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but if you've spent $1,000 on WoW, chances are you've gotten literally thousands of hours of play time.

The loot box advantage is a disgusting practice that sucks, but the only really losers are the guys who drop money on poo poo and then in a month everyone has the same end game raiding gear anyways so their advantage is extremely temporary.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's the exact same model used in D1. Stuff found in those loot boxes are effectively useless until you pump gear found only by playing into them to even make them wearable.

Yes it toes the line a bit it isn't nearly a big deal as it seems. Calm the gently caress down you sissies.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's money grabbing bullshit for a game that's going to make a zillion dollars

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the people defending this are also okay with giving microsoft/sony money to access their games online, makes u think

:yikes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's money grabbing bullshit for a game that's going to make a zillion dollars

That money grabbing bullshit is how they make a zillion dollars.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've only seen videos and stuff and haven't played at all but Cayde-6 feels entirely like 'Malcom Reynolds, but a robot'

That's not such a bad thing, Fillion has a talent for that.

Also : Can someone explain power levels and Engrams and poo poo to me. From what I understand the game goes from level 0 to level 20, and beyond that you have to upgrade your power level. Is this basically like hitting max level in in WoW and then working on increasing your item level until you reach some maximum? How do Engrams fit into this? Everyone talks about 'finding a gun that feels good to you' but won't you just be replacing that gun once you get one with higher numbers?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

xzzy posted:

That money grabbing bullshit is how they make a zillion dollars.

No, selling an insanely popular game at a high price and getting people to shell out for regular expensive DLC is how they make a zillion dollars.

I can understand people begrudgingly accepting it but sneering at people who think it's a bit poo poo is some proper Stockholm syndrome stuff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

khy posted:

Also : Can someone explain power levels and Engrams and poo poo to me. From what I understand the game goes from level 0 to level 20, and beyond that you have to upgrade your power level. Is this basically like hitting max level in in WoW and then working on increasing your item level until you reach some maximum? How do Engrams fit into this? Everyone talks about 'finding a gun that feels good to you' but won't you just be replacing that gun once you get one with higher numbers?

Yep you've mostly got it.

Levels are experience levels like any RPG.

Power level is ilevel like any MMORPG, its your gear level. By equipping better stuff your light level instantly goes up. Its just a way to gate / balance players based on their loot, since at endgame loot is all that matters, everybody hits the level cap.

Engrams are random dropped gear, aka unidentified items like diablo.

Weapons and armor can have their light level boosted by "infusing" higher light level gear into them of the same type. So if you get a gun you love with some decent light level, then you get a higher light level gun but you hate how it feels, its bad because you want to equip the new gun to increase your ilevel / light level but you don't like the new gun. So you melt the new gun down, which increases the level of your favorite gun. Note that doing this isn't a 100% power transfer, so you end up having to burn a few higher level things to get your favorite thing to match. Which gives you a reason to grind out all kinds of gear that you don't necessarily even want.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also while guns have random (sorta, it drops based on your current level so you slowly go up) level and random affixes, the base gun platforms are the same.

So a shotgun that is really slow and does high damage will always be slow and do high damage even if you get 4 of that same shotgun name / design to drop. But each one will have varying light level and different affixes.

So sometimes you find a favorite gun and then you keep an eye out for another of the same to drop with better stuff.

This isn't all just pure random RNG either, there's many reputation / vendor systems so that you can purchase specific gear with tokens or currency, which lets you save up and buy when there's something specific you want that you know you'll like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thirsty Dog posted:

No, selling an insanely popular game at a high price and getting people to shell out for regular expensive DLC is how they make a zillion dollars.

I can understand people begrudgingly accepting it but sneering at people who think it's a bit poo poo is some proper Stockholm syndrome stuff

I don't like the practice but if want to have the thread devolve into a bunch of doomsday prophets screeching that its straight P2W when in actuality its effect on players that choose not to participate in the model is real close to 0 be my guest

:shrug:

• Locked thread