Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Old Binsby posted:

Getting people from a to b is easy, they'll tend to move on their own, sometimes in the right direction, speak up when unhappy. luggage is much worse, it doesn't tend toward any particular direction, doesn't yell when going the wrong way, falls off carts, belts, luggage don't give a poo poo

at least that's what my airport friend tells me.

I'm kind of amazed greyhound manages to succeed at delivering at least part of their luggage given how infinitely more organized an airport is. A bus isn't the ritzy world of aeroplane transportation but all air carriers I lost poo poo with long term essentially paid for a few changes of clothes, toiletries etc. Probably not, but maybe greyhound do that too?

Ell-oh loving ell if you think Greyhound is going to care or even acknowledge that they lost your luggage.

When I lost my box coming back from Nebraska, I called and emailed every link they had on there to talk about it and I didn't even get a response until about 2 weeks after my trip was over and I had already gotten my box back from the station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Now in Sterling CO

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
NEXT STOP OKALALA NEBRASKA IN AN.HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

When my luggage got separated from me traveling Greyhound from Georgia to upstate NY someone drove it to my house a day or two later :confuoot:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
drat you are going to be in North Platte in a matter of hours I guess there is no reason for the bus to stop in Nebraska.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Man_of_Teflon posted:

When my luggage got separated from me traveling Greyhound from Georgia to upstate NY someone drove it to my house a day or two later :confuoot:

"So, the office sent me to drive the guy's luggage out, but I, uhh...."
"Yeah? You get lost?"
"Kinda..... The address is a little....weird?"
"We just gave you the address that was given to us."
"But where is 'by the burnt husk of a jeep scorned, in the shadow of the lumbering beast to be woken.'"
"......alright, I'll give you that, that one's a bit weird. No clue where that is..."

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rotten Cookies posted:

"So, the office sent me to drive the guy's luggage out, but I, uhh...."
"Yeah? You get lost?"
"Kinda..... The address is a little....weird?"
"We just gave you the address that was given to us."
"But where is 'by the burnt husk of a jeep scorned, in the shadow of the lumbering beast to be woken.'"
"......alright, I'll give you that, that one's a bit weird. No clue where that is..."

As awesome as that scenario is, Dave cannot get to Valentine without his bike and bags. I mean, he could, but it would be super bad.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well, it's not the end of the world.
Most likely he'll just have to hang out in North Platte for an extra day or two, til the next bus from Denver shows up.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, it's not the end of the world.
Most likely he'll just have to hang out in North Platte for an extra day or two, til the next bus from Denver shows up.

This is what I'm hoping, also. We'll need to get the man some Slim Jims. :getin:

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
It can't be a coincidence, that since dave left it's literally raining ashes in Seattle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The devil come back looking for his due.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've texted him in the past hour will let you know if I hear anything

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

everdave posted:

I've texted him in the past hour will let you know if I hear anything

I heard from him on Facebook Messenger just now.

The Eagle has landed in North loving Platte, NE.

:woop: :derp:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HandlingByJebus posted:

I heard from him on Facebook Messenger just now.

The Eagle has landed in North loving Platte, NE.

:woop: :derp:

Now we just need to get him his lunar rover :ohdear:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

North Platte doesn't know what just hit it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Need to organize supply drops ASAP, so that when Nebraska Rover 1 arrives he can make it to the HAB in as few sols as possible.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14" update: he's got wifi in North Platte, but no cell signal. I'm on the phone with loving Greyhound trying to figure out where his bike is.

Comedy modifier: they didn't give either of us the baggage claim ticket, so we don't have the tracking number. This should be high-larious.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Wait how did neither of you get a baggage claim ticket? That might cause some problems

In an additional update, I spoke to Dave as well, I told him to go to the Walmart there and take a look around so he might be able to get us to the shopping list of things he needs for the trip then we can put on will call there.

E. Cigarettes I number one on the list. Lol

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

angryrobots posted:

Need to organize supply drops ASAP, so that when Nebraska Rover 1 arrives he can make it to the HAB in as few sols as possible.

hang on, was the rover the one that died before even landing or the one that kept on truckin years longer than anyone thought they could??

Hope the pack comes back soon though murphys law already in effect with the receipt.

This might sound weird to you all but when did hitchhiking stop being a thing in the US? It's a 2 hr drive to Valentine from the bus station so hitchhiking would be an easy, cheap option to get there if the bike is taking a couple days and North Platte turns out to be boring/inhospitable. Unless it's illegal and no one does it anymore.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hitchhiking stopped really being a thing when everyone started being drilled about Stranger Danger and that if you picked someone up they'd murder you, back in the 1980s. Like, there are still hitchhikers, but you really need to look wholesome and nonthreatening.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I would guess it fell out of favor when people like Ted Bundy started gaining notoriety

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
except in hawaii, it's surprisingly common there

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Makes sense I guess. I given people crustier than dave a ride, the wholesome thing doesn't matter that much here but if it's super rare to be/see hikers the difficulty spikes. Also the violent farting might be awkward after a while probably

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Somebody message or text me with how the Walmart thing works I'm glad to throw in

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

everdave posted:

Somebody message or text me with how the Walmart thing works I'm glad to throw in

Same

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Leperflesh posted:

Hitchhiking stopped really being a thing when everyone started being drilled about Stranger Danger and that if you picked someone up they'd murder you, back in the 1980s. Like, there are still hitchhikers, but you really need to look wholesome and nonthreatening.

I thought it was the other way round - certainly was that way here with Ivan Milat and a bunch of other nutcases murdering hitch hikers.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I hate to break it to you Dave, but it's this guy:

Not this guy:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Do you need a room tonight? There is a cheap
Smoking room at knights inn at North Platte but do t k ow how it would work if I booked for you would t you need a credit card for incidentals or something?

Edit: in contact with 14 he is going to walk to the hotel and see if I will be allowed to book him a room through the app and my account

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 6, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I have the tracking number now, have sent it to Dave (which doesn't help him because he's got no coverage). Going to call SLC depot once I'm out of this meeting to see if we can sort it out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Text him I'm texting back and forth now

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I'm on hold for the SLC Greyhoud baggage department.

e: it's going to be loving cold in North Platte tonight. 4* Centigrade (39 Freedom Degrees).

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 6, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

I'm on hold for the SLC Greyhoud baggage department.

e: it's going to be loving cold in North Platte tonight. 4* Centigrade (39 Freedom Degrees).

I got Dave a hotel room tonight its all
Confirmed

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

everdave posted:

I got Dave a hotel room tonight its all
Confirmed

You're a hero. Thanks, man.

e: loving Greyhound SLC keeps disconnecting my call after I've been on hold for 3-8 minutes. I'm about to pitch this phone through the motherfucking window

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

I'm happy to do it but probably can't throw down on Walmart this week. I'll let you know when I hear 14 in the room.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HandlingByJebus posted:

e: loving Greyhound SLC keeps disconnecting my call after I've been on hold for 3-8 minutes. I'm about to pitch this phone through the motherfucking window

imagine being someone who works at Greyhoud SLC. Imagine doing that for years. Imagine how much you would care about your customers.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, for anyone curious about the Walmart thing, it's pretty simple, once we get a list of items from Dave, we can just order them online for him, and have him pick them up in the store there.

I would like to see if we can pitch together for a gift card or something, since they make E-gift cards you can use on your phone (Since you can have a gift card for instore pickup) But I'm not sure if Dave has a smartphone or not.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

So, for anyone curious about the Walmart thing, it's pretty simple, once we get a list of items from Dave, we can just order them online for him, and have him pick them up in the store there.

I would like to see if we can pitch together for a gift card or something, since they make E-gift cards you can use on your phone (Since you can have a gift card for instore pickup) But I'm not sure if Dave has a smartphone or not.

Sounds good. Dave has what appears to be a Samsung Android smartphone of some description.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

NEVERMIND IT SEEMS IT CAN GET EMAILS AFTER ALL.

So PM for details I suppose.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Does he still have picture ID?

• Locked thread