Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
im just wondering how feasible a gold lacquered acguy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Compressor/dp/B001TO578Q

Gr8 cheap airbrush that I've been using for years and is good for learning airbrushing with. It's not great at pinpoint details but in exchange the needle is really hard to bend (aka the thing even airbrush experts sometimes do)

Paint gets pricey if you go lacquers, Tamiya is about moderate price and sprays very cleanly, Model Masters is cheap and plentiful but requires you get a good feel for thinning the gunk at the bottom of the bottles

always spray outdoors or in a spray boof if you dont want cancer or sand madness, namaste

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also clean your airbrush with a cheap giant bottle of mineral spirits (enamel) or rustoleum thinner (lacquer, check automotive departments) instead of hobby thinners unless you're a big fan of spraying dollar bills away

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
But, man, do I love the smell of Tamiya acrylics...

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's sad to learn that it's basically mad max crossed with 50s motorcycle gangs and motorcycles that transform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfW-6EKB8-0

Mecha Gojira has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Sep 5, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Mecha Gojira posted:

Actually, Unicorn rules.

Weird that they aired it on Toonami though since it's literally ZZ fanservice, which only had its first official English release this year and only on their YouTube channel.

Edit there might be DVD's I dunno

i was screaming at my television the last few eps of unicorn. i've never had an anime do that to me

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Also, lol if you watched it as RE:0096 instead of waiting six-seven years for the OVA to come out

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My only experience with layzner is from SRW J, which means I really like it but that could just be because everything is op in SRW J (you can solo the game with Boss Borot)

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Layzner has that problem a lot of mecha series in the 80's, including Gundam, had where they weren't moving enough merchandise and/or getting enough viewers to not be cancelled, so the ending had to be rushed and reworked (and the final episode is basically nonsensical for it). But unlike Gundam or Macross, it never found its audience and drifted into obscurity.

Which is a loving shame because it has some of the best directed and animated mecha fights of the era.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

0079 is the best Gundam followed by G Gundam.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Darkman Fanpage posted:

im just wondering how feasible a gold lacquered acguy is.

Metallic acrylic paints work pretty well, a jar of gold paint from something like Valero or Games Workshop should cost a few bucks and work fine. You can darken or lighten the gold by mixing with other metallics like bronze or silver but I never had great results doing that. It's been a while, I used to be a Warhams loser 15 years ago and haven't painted since.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you do go for gold, go for Alclad 2 for a reflective gold, or Gaianotes Star Bright Brass for a shiny-rear end gold

Vvv Yeah Alclad 2 requires no thinning and on most plastic you dont even need to prime either, because of how strong the solvents in the black base & paint are. Just dont try playing with the parts until they cure.

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Sep 5, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
If you want to go real crazy, though, look up Alclad. Straight-up gold chrome your robot.

Really easy to use too. Just gotta have a gloss-black enamel base coat.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i was joking about the gold painted acguy

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Darkman Fanpage posted:

who would joke about that, here, in the Gunpla thread where all your wildest dreams can come true and your imagination can run wild?

Be the gold-painted Acguy you want to see in the world.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Too late buddy, now you're in charge of making the trophy, who's the joke now boy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Too late buddy, now you're in charge of making the trophy, who's the joke now boy

too much pressure.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

net work error posted:

0079 is the best Gundam followed by G Gundam.

0079 has aged poorly, unfortunately

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mecha Gojira posted:

Actually, Unicorn rules.

Weird that they aired it on Toonami though since it's literally ZZ fanservice, which only had its first official English release this year and only on their YouTube channel.

Edit there might be DVD's I dunno

huh, should i watch ZZ first then, or at least part of it, before Unicorn?

I've only seen the 0079 movies, Zeta, and 0083. I also saw 8th MS a long time ago and need to rewatch that

e: I guess I saw Char's Counterattack too but didn't love it. I thought 0083 was really good for anyone looking to watch something that's not as long as a full series.

WorldIndustries has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Sep 5, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booyah- posted:

I've only seen the 0079 movies, Zeta, and 0083. I also saw 8th MS a long time ago and need to rewatch that

ZZ is good and worth watching by itself, but you don't need to watch it before Unicorn. Like, there's a character in Unicorn who's related to a character from ZZ, but you still understand her story and what her deal is without knowing anything about the character from ZZ.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Booyah- posted:

Unicorn constantly references ZZ and Char's Counterattack, so I'd definitely recommend watching those first. Even if ZZ is... rough. Very rough.

Unicorn isn't fantastic or the best Gundam ever or anything. I just like it for the early-UC victory lap it is.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

0079 has aged poorly, unfortunately

Animation wise it's not aged well but the story is still good and is the purest Gundam showing you that everything sucks and lots of people you care about dying.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

net work error posted:

Animation wise it's not aged well but the story is still good and is the purest Gundam showing you that everything sucks and lots of people you care about dying.

uh, war in the pocket?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
War in the Pocket is just "war is bad."

0079 is about class-consciousness, exploitation of children, and shooting fascists in the face with bazookas.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
This thread inspired me to pick up my first gunpla (Graze, I love em!) and oh poo poo son these nippers have Japanese on them, no turning back now

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marx Headroom posted:

This thread inspired me to pick up my first gunpla (Graze, I love em!) and oh poo poo son these nippers have Japanese on them, no turning back now

welcome to the gunplalution, comrade

I have a Graze 1/100 and I hosed it up super bad and it's super flimsy so it's just sitting in a closet :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mecha Gojira posted:

Depends on the type of paint. Enamels and Lacquers cure much faster than Acrylics, within a few hours. Acrylics I think need at least 24 hours to cure, though I've heard people say let them cure for longer, even up to a week.

I just always used acrylics because A: easier to clean out of my airbrush and B: less carcinogenic.

If you are not doing fancy layering acrylics are not as bad as that, but they still are the physically weakest of the paint types.

I'm pretty much entirely acrylic now. The cleanup is easy, it's non-toxic like Mecha said, and vallejo paints keep forever.

I still have some enamels kicking around, and some (expensive) lacquers. Lacquers are the toughest and they dry in half an hour, but they are toxic as hell (like you need to spend the $50 on a organic particulate respirator if you plan on using them) and in my experience can *only* be airbrushed. I have 'em mostly for metal finishes.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

how hard is it to do airbrushing? i've never done it with any of my kits but im curious about it. is it expensive?

Sort of, yes

You more or less get what you pay for in air brushes. While hobby compressors are easier to find than a few years ago, a good air brush might run $100 or more. You can always ask the scale model thread.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

too much pressure.

Wanna give this little guy a hug

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
0079 owns because it's an insane mash of a whole bunch of historical and fictional elements that Tomino was into

Karl Marx becomes the leader of colonial america, dies and is replaced by Stalin, whos son Hitler tries to purge all of Karl Marx's family once he gains power, including Karl Marx's son Edmond Dantes, who from then on swears revenge on all of Stalin's family (leading to Hitler gaining power when Edmond kills Stalin's beloved heir, Lenin)

Karl Marx is also responsible for the creation of a new and controversial system of governance that uplifts the oppressed colonial citizens, called X-Manism

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Sep 6, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Every rise of fascism is witness to a failed revolution. - some smart guy some time.

Also, amazing in how politics and ideology can warp Zeon's philosophy of class-consciousness into the Spacenoid Supremacism of the Principality and the outright MK Ultra-level poo poo both sides pulled on children.

Real reason I like Unicorn is that it acknowledges that Anaheim Electronics is as evil as and has always been complicit with the Earth Federation's tyranny. Though the AEUG being run by incompetent businessmen instead of Revolutionary Leader Casval Deikun Char Aznable Quattro Bageena Char Aznable is a pretty major theme in Zeta.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've assembled the model and bought some primer. So now I gotta decide if I'm ambitious enough to do some real customization before I prime it

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Galaxy Brain: the best Gundams are Macross, VOTOMS, and Patlabor.

Universal Brain: Metal Armor Dragonar is the Best Gundam

Multiverse Brain: Aura Battler Dunbine is the Best Gundam

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

jigokuman posted:

Multiverse Brain: Aura Battler Dunbine is the Best Gundam

Aura Battler Dunbine is my next Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The only ones I've seen are 0083 and Wing, and of those two I kind of liked 0083 and despised Wing

I hate nearly all anime, so take that with a grain of salt

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

The only ones I've seen are 0083 and Wing, and of those two I kind of liked 0083 and despised Wing

I hate nearly all anime, so take that with a grain of salt

if it helps you, Wing is unique to the gundam series and is basically Teen Angst: The Unreleased Creed Album. There's angst in other gundams but not to the extent that wing does it

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mecha Gojira posted:

jealous

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i have now built more gundams than i have seen episodes of gundams get on my level

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mecha Gojira posted:

War in the Pocket is just "war is bad."

it's real good at that message though

like drat

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
gundam 0080 and gundam 08th MS Team are pretty good gundam war stories

G Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters take the giant robot fights to deliberately absurd extremes and just have fun with it

Turn A Gundam does a little bit of both

most other Gundam series are too far up their own rear end, one way or another

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

Isn't that the idea behind Garzey's Wing

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Tomino wanted to make a generic fantasy setting, but Sunrise told him it had to have robots, and thus Dunbine.

The man loves going back to his D&D setting as much if not more than Gundam, which is how we got Wings of Rean, Garzey's Wing, etc.

Wish they'd translate some of his books here. Besides Gundam and Dunbine novelizations, he also did a spy series based on Banjou from Daitarn 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm glad sunrise stepped in because giant organic insect robots are badass

• Locked thread