Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
a buncha dorks are goin on in the chat thread about how cool painting robots is

i tend to agree i painted my fingernails yesterday :wink: so i am doing what the bossman sez

Squizzle posted:

someone just make the thread

its a community project, not some posters lifes work

this thread is for this stuff:

Neurolimal posted:

Cool, here's some useful links/collected info from when a succer asked for beginners guides in the gunpla thread, for whoever makes the op:

Mobile Succ Units
https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-HGBF-Hi-Mock-Model/dp/B00P5R148U - Hi-Mock, easiest 'normal' HG build, currently 12bux

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U7A8CVC - simplest and cheapest available kit that's still good. 6bux for a tiny posable bear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014SCWB0W/
- modern cheap kit, less paint-customizable than Mock, significantly more complicated, 11.75 bux

Shitpainting Boot Camp
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx-SoCOivVEHNDOl16VWLB3A - super short and to-the-point vids for beginners, excluding airbrush vids it's 26 videos around roughly 25mins.

https://youtu.be/Ikk7ybBiP1I - official corny bandai vid on stuff you can do to make your kit look better after building it

https://www.gunpla101.com/category/tutorials/ - shitload of various tutorials, good resource if you need to figure out how to do Thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/wiki/index - Predditor wiki on gunpla, has a quick-start guide

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=474&perpage=40#post475589914 gooner quick-start guide

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-hand-painting-tutorial - hand-painting toot by one of the best gunpla model builders around, not as intimidating as it sounds

Godspeed commie nerds

and also for general robotics and gunplay needs

be careful! this robot has a schmiss from a jumpy .308 scope lolol

op to be updated at some point to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
reserved

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We're doing a C-SPAM Model Challenge! All you have to do is build a Hi-Mock!

Build it up and paint it however you want. Just snap out the pieces and put them together, paint it in rainbow colors, add extra pieces, make a diorama based on Liberty Leading the People, whatever. You do you. The best one will win great acclaim, but every entrant will win at least some acclaim, so don't stress.

The competition ends on October 31st, 2017 so there's plenty of time

I've never built a Gundam, I assume it's incredibly difficult and requires expensive tools
It's actually really easy! You don't need any glue or paint. Just cut out the pieces and snap them together. All the pieces are molded in the right colors, and stickers are included for the details. This is what a Hi-Mock looks like without a drop of glue or paint

You can do it!

Guy Goodbody has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Aug 23, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

is this a gundams thread

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I walk into the thread spinning a gun like Revolver Ocelot: oh yeah nice, let's talk about gunplay. Wait a loving minute

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im going to assemble it and then put it in the toilet and then poop

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you want inspiration, here's some painted Hi-Mocks

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i identify as a zaku sorry

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hell yeah hi-mock challenge is on

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
if you dont got an acguy you aint a real gundam lover

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

hooray i cant wait to add another nerd hobby to my quiver and clutter my place up with little plastic robots

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

if you dont got an acguy you aint a real gundam lover

Thanks to The Beargguy Initiative tens of thousands of homes have been infiltrated by disguised Acguys, we may launch the ambush at any time we see fit

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

hooray i cant wait to add another nerd hobby to my quiver and clutter my place up with little plastic robots

:hellyeah:

wtf u think i posted dis thread for motherfukker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkKgSlKVhM

S A
T S
O S
N E
E M
R B
B L
O E
T !
S !

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

[quote="Guy Goodbody" post="475673180"]

Москва

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOQT-lRr_0

have fun guys ill just be watching!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just bought some new nippers and x-acto blades yall bitches goin down

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mormonpartyboat posted:

im going to assemble it and then put it in the toilet and then poop

as long as you have fun! i love building me some gunpla. though usually i like more to build the master grades (though i haven't painted them in ages)

i'll try my hand and painting a hi-mock! just need to save up money for nippers and sand paper and paint

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i dont even know what hobby nippers are but i assume the dozens of cutting tools on and around my workbench will be able to do something good enough

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Squizzle posted:

i dont even know what hobby nippers are but i assume the dozens of cutting tools on and around my workbench will be able to do something good enough

yeah and i gots a big bogs of abrasives up to about twelve thousand grit, i think that oughta be soon enough

and a hobby nippers just dikes apparently?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Squizzle posted:

basically, the gunpla parts come in a plastic sheet and you can break/twist them out but that leaves little nubs all over your parts. the nippers help you cut them out of the sheet and having the extra plastic trimmed off too

there's a picture of one of the sheets

and some nippers

in any case your cutting tools probably will work just fine. considering you have a work bench, you probably have sandpaper which you can use to get rid of nubs too. though you'd probably want some really fine grain sand paper if you want to shine the plastic without any paint

Condiv has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Aug 24, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Squizzle posted:

They're like cuticle clippers, but sharper

If you're painting you probably can get away with cuticle clips since you'll be painting over the stress marks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i'm still p upset we're not doing hygoggs, they're soooo cool

oh well, maybe i'll buy a hygogg as well as a himock and post both :henget:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Condiv posted:

just lol if u aint doin this hyggh af

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

just lol if u aint doin this hyggh af

actually i'm taking a month or two break from weed :(

though then again this is due in october so i guess my hiatus will be over by then :henget: :gethill:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"High" grade

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i havent painted a model since i was 8 and i tried to open a tin of paint and it just wouldnt open and so i used my teeth to open it and accidentally got a mouthful of hobby paint and well if you were wondering what was wrong with me, thats what it is

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

TL;DR Guide:
Preparation
1. Buy an HG, that's High-Grade, it's the one a beginner wants to build. The HG Hi-Mock is a oft-recommended first kit and here's another one you might recognize, but any High-Grade you want to build will do. Just be aware that some of the older ones may not be in production any more, so could be more expensive.
2. Buy some nippers, an x-acto knife, and some sandpaper, some rough, some fine.
2b. Theoretically, you could get by with just using a pair of nail clippers and the little metal nail file on them, but it's probably gonna show. Bad clippers, in particular, are the #1 cause of stress marks, and can even result in breaking a piece off.
3. Buy a Gundam Marker, it's used for 'panel lining'. You don't really need to paint any these days unless you want to, but panel lining can make a world of difference.

Assembly
4. Try to only clip pieces as you need them, it's much easier than accidentally losing something because you cut it earlier. Make sure you're not cutting off some of the part itself. That can suck, and even ruin a kit if you gently caress up some really major pieces.
5. Clip a bit away from the part. Too close, and it's stress mark time. Then, cutting parallel to the plastic, shave the nub off with the x-acto knife, and sandpaper it with fine sandpaper until it's smooth. (Rough sandpaper is for when you're either not brave enough or it's too difficult to shave off the entire thing.
6. The instructions are usually pretty good, just follow them closely and make sure you don't mix up parts that are similar or mirrored.
7. Once you're finished, use your Gundam Marker to go through some of the recessed white plastic bits that would be metal panels on a 'real' Gundam. Take it slow, don't push too hard. Some people fill it out in every possible edge, give their gunpla a very hard-edge, well-defined look. Others go for only the more important parts, giving theirs a softer, slightly cartoonier look. Which you do is up to you.
7b. If you have colored Gundam markers, you can use them to cover up stress marks. Nice little trick for making your kits look a bit better.

Finished! Congratulations, you've made your first Gunpla and now have all the tools the next time you wanna drop $20 to kill a few hours.
C/Ping this from the other Gunpla thread.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

how swappable are parts on these

could you put the head from one of the bears on the hi mock

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

C/Ping this from the other Gunpla thread.

i cant quote quotes into the op :negative:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

how swappable are parts on these

could you put the head from one of the bears on the hi mock

In general, parts are very swappable. Unfortunately for that specific question, the Beargguy is based off an older kit, the Acguy, which had unusual joints. So that particular swap could be tricky.

They both use a ball and socket joint. I'm not sure if the sizes would be quite right. The Hi-Mock's gorget would probably get in the way

Or, you might just be able to glue the Beargguy's neck in the Hi-Mock's gorget.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Squizzle posted:

*insert glorious nippon steel pun here*

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i guess if the socket is bigger in the bear head than the himock head, a couple layers of clear nail polish would prob work to fix it and keep mobility

assuming i cut off the gorget i mean

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

In general, parts are very swappable. Unfortunately for that specific question, the Beargguy is based off an older kit, the Acguy, which had unusual joints. So that particular swap could be tricky.

They both use a ball and socket joint. I'm not sure if the sizes would be quite right. The Hi-Mock's gorget would probably get in the way

Generally-speaking, Gundam parts are now on a standardized scale for their joints (and have been since Build Fighters started their line) so they're very compatible with other heads/limbs/etc. That said, the Beargguy head isn't going to plug in, as it's clearly using the general-sized ball socket instead of the normal head/neck one. There's no reason you can't glue it onto the collar or something though.

It should probably also be mentioned for the punters that there is an entire line of weapons and accessory parts to stick on your fancy new Hi-Mock. Look up High-Grade Build Custom (or "Gunpla HGBC") to find them on Amazon or elsewhere. There's even one specifically for the Hi-Mock called the "Mock Army Set", which includes a smooth grey hemisphere head if you want to do something fancy in regards to painting one that doesn't have a monoeye groove in the way.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Sweet as soon as I finish the gouf flight type I'm doing this

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Generally-speaking, Gundam parts are now on a standardized scale for their joints (and have been since Build Fighters started their line) so they're very compatible with other heads/limbs/etc. That said, the Beargguy head isn't going to plug in, as it's clearly using the general-sized ball socket instead of the normal head/neck one. There's no reason you can't glue it onto the collar or something though.

It should probably also be mentioned for the punters that there is an entire line of weapons and accessory parts to stick on your fancy new Hi-Mock. Look up High-Grade Build Custom (or "Gunpla HGBC") to find them on Amazon or elsewhere. There's even one specifically for the Hi-Mock called the "Mock Army Set", which includes a smooth grey hemisphere head if you want to do something fancy in regards to painting one that doesn't have a monoeye groove in the way.

so you can use the bear head as a fist??????

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i need to get more gunpla or just finish the ones i have. i still have a mg nemo i need to complete 😑

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Gundams represent a stagnant status quo, protectors of a corrupt system against those who would truly seek the revolutionary future of Zeon Zum Deikun.

Comrade Char "The Red Comet" Aznable was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Squizzle posted:

so you can use the bear head as a fist??????
idk thatd be head or hj territory

• Locked thread