Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

McDragon posted:

I'm not very good at it though. Mimics, fine, I can sort those, but there was some fire dick in a medical center and I had to cheese him so I might just knock it down to easy because the combat hasn't grabbed me yet. Will give it a bit more time though. Also some electric dude in a I think optional area before the hub. I guess I'm probably not supposed to be fighting guys like that yet but I am too much of a wimp to sneak around them. I will persevere though, I think the game has earned that much. I'm just at the stage where I feel like I don't have much resources or stuff yet and I keep having to chow down on health things after every fight.

Yeah don't feel bad about retreating from areas you feel outclassed by. Medical center has that annoying fire guy which I had to return to way later. Honestly the game is going to keep you on a short leash with ammo, health, other resources. Even during the final home stretch, I was still at the mercy of the typhon.

The game shines when you start realizing the little tricks you can pull in spite of these shortages. Neuromods give additional ways to handle things, but you'll also organically learn how to overcome some obstacles. One of the first things I did in my second playthrough was clearing out the medical bay. Even without any neuromods, I knew enough about the environment and objects that I killed fireguy easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

IMJack posted:

If you're playing a psyker, you definitely want to check out Life Support, specifically the water treatment plant.

Something that Prey has in common with both Dishonored games: camping on a double faucet to save healing items.

I heard about this. Can I just show up in Life Support whenever and get that quest? I'm assuming you're talking about the one that lets the faucets restore psi points. I have 18 psi hypos, and even took the 50% more effective hypo talent, but since I don't have the fabrication plans for psi hypos I'm guessing even with the water change my hypos could be useful? Either way, I probably should go do that. I just didn't want to totally cheese the game. Playing on Hard, though.

IMJack posted:

Though speaking of healing items, the fact that food items stack without limit in your inventory makes healing a non-issue. And you can eat food with one button press when the weapon wheel is up. I think I used no more than a handful of actual medkits, because every time I got close to death I would bring up the wheel and shove junk food down my throat until I was close to full health. I probably could have recycled all those medkits if I weren't such a hoarder.

Sometimes if I'm low, I'll pop a medkit and drink a soda. Otherwise I try to get the most use out of the health regen effect you get each time you eat/drink something. The 5 hp items heal 10 hp total I think.

Amish Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 5, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Amish Ninja posted:

I heard about this. Can I just show up in Life Support whenever and get that quest?

Yes, I believe you get the quest from emails found in the zone.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

aniviron posted:

Yes, that's the thing I meant. It seemed important, but I suspect that if I hadn't done anything about it the station would have been fine. Not that the station was going to last much longer anyway though I guess.

And no, that power does not require you to be mimic'd. It's absurdly good- against things that don't hit very hard, you can actually just intentionally take damage from them and get more health back than you lose every time as a way of healing.

I actually didn't even realize there was a way to fix it. I looted in a hurry and bolted. Now I'm Wiki-checking and realized that I totally missed a suit repair kit Fabrication Plan? drat! I'll definitely have to backtrack up there.

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

There's one log I heard that didn't make a huge amount of sense to me, maybe someone else can explain it. I don't recall who was talking, but they mentioned that the 'volunteer' shuttles universally have some anomalous thing happen to them, where they disappear from radar and reappear again, while the VIP shuttles don't. Anyone know what that was talking about?

I think I remember the log you're talking about the shuttle is launching from the usual place, going off radar to drop the "volunteers" off in psychotronics to provide food for the mimics, then it launches again from there, getting picked up by the radar after a delay. I think someone notices the inconsistency with how far away it's gotten away from the station at the speed it should be going or something?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

In one of the labs, there is a theory that when the mimics copy an item, they swap to an alternate dimension and swap that item to this dimension and remain connected to be able to observe what's around them.. So what if they have already taken over that alternate dimension? The reason why they were able to be handled without being exposed as a mimic for song long was because they were taking over the alternate dimension Talos 1. Then once they were done taking it over, they switched back to our dimension to take that over. They were so busy taking over the other station before, so they didn't notice they were being handled in this dimension. Now they have nothing else to do, so they are always observing this dimension to attack whoever comes through.

If I recall correctly, there's a note left by the scientists stating that all of their theories so far have been disproven in one test or another

The alternate dimension thing is wrong on the basis that the mimic becomes a second copy of the item; the first item stays where it is. Further, the Mimic can still move and hop around even while transformed. And so can you, when you develop the same power. Also, shooting the object kills the mimic, which would presumably not be the case if the mimic was actually in an alternate dimension

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fakebacon posted:

I think I remember the log you're talking about the shuttle is launching from the usual place, going off radar to drop the "volunteers" off in psychotronics to provide food for the mimics, then it launches again from there, getting picked up by the radar after a delay. I think someone notices the inconsistency with how far away it's gotten away from the station at the speed it should be going or something?

But the import of volunteers is supposedly routine, and the log makes it sound like this anomaly happens away from the station. Further, there's a an email or maybe a note from a pilot describing what sounds like another Talos-like facility. So possibly some of the volunteers are dropped off at that other station first

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

QuarkJets posted:

But the import of volunteers is supposedly routine, and the log makes it sound like this anomaly happens away from the station. Further, there's a an email or maybe a note from a pilot describing what sounds like another Talos-like facility. So possibly some of the volunteers are dropped off at that other station first

Yeah, I actually thought that might be something to do with the "super secret ending" that no one had found. Or has it been found?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It was found immediately, the dev was just talking about the "kill everyone" playthrough.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Oh, boring.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I laughed really hard at Waste Processing. So many jokes...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

QuarkJets posted:

Bringing new volunteers and celebrities on board the station is pretty normal stuff that everybody knows about. On the other hand, volunteers being shuttled back to Psychotronics to be fed to mimics is only known to people who work in Psychotronics. The majority of the crew has no idea.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

QuarkJets posted:

Isn't there another platform out in space that Transtar ships launch from? The one that Dahl launches from?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

turn off the TV posted:

Bringing new volunteers and celebrities on board the station is pretty normal stuff that everybody knows about. On the other hand, volunteers being shuttled back to Psychotronics to be fed to mimics is only known to people who work in Psychotronics. The majority of the crew has no idea.
That seems odd. You'd think someone would notice that no volunteers ever actually arrive back on earth. Or at least few.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Psychotronics doesn't have a shuttle bay, just an airlock that is normally kept locked; I doubt that volunteers are actually being brought in via that airlock. And volunteer quarters is in neuromods, which also doesn't have a shuttle bay. Volunteers are brought onto the station via the actual shuttle bay, are transferred down to the volunteer quarters in neuromods, and eventually they're transferred to psychotronics for mimic extraction. So I think volunteers are probably just walked through the lobby into Psychotronics; there are only 2 volunteer sleeping cells in Psychotronics, near material extraction, and you get a ton of exotic materials per volunteer, so they probably just transfer people down discretely as part of "tests"

Further, a number of volunteers do go back to Earth; this point is made in one of the e-mail chains with Elazar. So probably people see volunteers being transferred back to Earth from time to time and aren't counting heads, so they don't realize the discrepancy in the number of volunteers coming vs going. Also, a number of people actually do begin to suspect that exotic material is extracted from the human volunteers, even among people who don't work in psychotronics. And Alex apparently pulls neuromods from people who learn a little more than they're supposed to.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Isn't there another platform out in space that Transtar ships launch from? The one that Dahl launches from?

I think so, yes; maybe that's what one of the pilots saw

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 6, 2017

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

IMJack posted:

Yes, I believe you get the quest from emails found in the zone.

I started that quest by finding a body with the item I needed. Makes sense that you can start the quest with an email though.

Doing that quest doesn't really cheese the game though, since water fountains are common but not common enough to break the game. Definitely required on an alien only playthrough.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've just reached the junction between the arboretum and the shuttle bay area.

It looks like there are a bunch of areas that branch off from the shuttle like the power plant that I can go to now, but the main quest markers are pointing me towards the arboretum.

Should I poke around as much as I can before following the main questline, or does it eventually lead back to these other areas?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So what's up with those gigantic coils floating around in the GUTS? I'm on my second playthrough and I still haven't figured out what they're for, they're the only named thing you can pick up in that area (I'm quite sure), surely there must be a use for them? Maybe in the magnetosphere area? But getting the drat things there sounds like an ungodly pain.

EDIT: ^^^^ You should always poke around first, because the game doesn't necessarily send you in all the places, and you can find some very useful goodies hidden around.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

I've just reached the junction between the arboretum and the shuttle bay area.

It looks like there are a bunch of areas that branch off from the shuttle like the power plant that I can go to now, but the main quest markers are pointing me towards the arboretum.

Should I poke around as much as I can before following the main questline, or does it eventually lead back to these other areas?

The main questline does lead you back to areas such as the power plant and life support. Poking around is fine but you will definitely return eventually, so feel free to do whatever you want

I think that water treatment and trauma center are some of the only areas that you don't visit as part of the main questline, and also of course all of the hull-breach zones that you encounter inside the station can be optionally visited outside of the station

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Vakal posted:

play it your way, dude. the best time to explore is early on bc things aren't so ..."hectic"...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

QuarkJets posted:

Psychotronics doesn't have a shuttle bay, just an airlock that is normally kept locked; I doubt that volunteers are actually being brought in via that airlock. And volunteer quarters is in neuromods, which also doesn't have a shuttle bay. Volunteers are brought onto the station via the actual shuttle bay, are transferred down to the volunteer quarters in neuromods, and eventually they're transferred to psychotronics for mimic extraction. So I think volunteers are probably just walked through the lobby into Psychotronics; there are only 2 volunteer sleeping cells in Psychotronics, near material extraction, and you get a ton of exotic materials per volunteer, so they probably just transfer people down discretely as part of "tests"

Further, a number of volunteers do go back to Earth; this point is made in one of the e-mail chains with Elazar. So probably people see volunteers being transferred back to Earth from time to time and aren't counting heads, so they don't realize the discrepancy in the number of volunteers coming vs going. Also, a number of people actually do begin to suspect that exotic material is extracted from the human volunteers, even among people who don't work in psychotronics. And Alex apparently pulls neuromods from people who learn a little more than they're supposed to.

No, they're pretty specifically brought into psychotronics from the shuttle.

http://prey.wikia.com/wiki/Shuttle_Secret

https://i.imgur.com/lIWQhxj.jpg

Strudel Man posted:

That seems odd. You'd think someone would notice that no volunteers ever actually arrive back on earth. Or at least few.

Considering that the ones being executed are being taken from Russian gulags, probably not a lot of people notice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

8-10 minutes of flight before going dark is a huge amount of time. Seems like a plot hole

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

QuarkJets posted:

8-10 minutes of flight before going dark is a huge amount of time. Seems like a plot hole

How is that a plot hole? The guy in the voice log brings up that exact point and reports it to the chief of security, who in turn decides not to report it to anyone else, and tells him not to, either, because she's at that point pretty sure that TranStar is doing something very illegal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

How is that a plot hole? The guy in the voice log brings up that exact point and reports it to the chief of security, who in turn decides not to report it to anyone else, and tells him not to, either, because she's at that point pretty sure that TranStar is doing something very illegal.

Because why do they need 10 minutes of flight before going dark if they're just returning to another part of the station? That's ridiculous to have to undo that much of an orbital maneuver. It's way excessive

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

QuarkJets posted:

Because why do they need 10 minutes of flight before going dark if they're just returning to another part of the station? That's ridiculous to have to undo that much of an orbital maneuver. It's way excessive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe it's to throw people off the scent, or to sedate the volunteers, or to jerk each other off, or to laugh about how people like you are going to get bent out of shape about the lack of an explanation for the time discrepancy. Maybe the fine maneuvering it takes to line up with the station, combined with the importance of stealth, requires using slow and unwieldy methods of locomotion.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe it's to throw people off the scent, or to sedate the volunteers, or to jerk each other off, or to laugh about how people like you are going to get bent out of shape about the lack of an explanation for the time discrepancy. Maybe the fine maneuvering it takes to line up with the station, combined with the importance of stealth, requires using slow and unwieldy methods of locomotion.

lol I said that 10 minutes just seems excessive, I don't think anyone is getting mad over it

The maneuvers you mentioned would have to take place after going dark. So as to not draw suspicion presumably the shuttle is taking a normal departure velocity which isn't exactly going to be slow. Therein is the plot hole, although it isn't serious

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 7, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, Psychotronics was an experience. That loving calibration scare got me so bad. Also had a nice spacewalk to break it up and I'm glad that turned out to be an actual interesting place itself that I am sure I will be revisiting several times.

Oh and yesterday I managed to find the Neuromod fabrication gubbins and I went a bit wild. Just regular upgrades though. Haven't really seen anything that sounds amazing in the Typhon upgrades apart from turning into a coffee cup but maybe I need to try them out or research some cooler ones.

Also the nerf crossbow rules and I've managed to open two doors with it. I am an awful shot though, so good thing you can pick the darts back up.

I hope there's a recycle charge plan soon so I can go round recycling everything. I have this urge to go back to the apartment and just grind everything up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget that you can zoom in with the crossbow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

McDragon posted:

Well, Psychotronics was an experience. That loving calibration scare got me so bad. Also had a nice spacewalk to break it up and I'm glad that turned out to be an actual interesting place itself that I am sure I will be revisiting several times.

Oh and yesterday I managed to find the Neuromod fabrication gubbins and I went a bit wild. Just regular upgrades though. Haven't really seen anything that sounds amazing in the Typhon upgrades apart from turning into a coffee cup but maybe I need to try them out or research some cooler ones.

Also the nerf crossbow rules and I've managed to open two doors with it. I am an awful shot though, so good thing you can pick the darts back up.

I hope there's a recycle charge plan soon so I can go round recycling everything. I have this urge to go back to the apartment and just grind everything up.

You can unlock the vast majority of Typhon powers and their ranks just by exploring everywhere and putting off the plot. But some of the cooler ones are tied to a couple enemies that won't show up in the first place (or not in enough numbers to unlock) until you reach at least the arboretum, so Telepaths and the Nightmare are unlocked to spawn. Then later Poltergeists

Wiki says weavers unlock Psyshock, which I like for the nullwave effect too, But my meandering about the station and the exterior for way too long had already scanned the hell out of Weavers without unlocking it.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Section Z posted:

Wiki says weavers unlock Psyshock, which I like for the nullwave effect too, But my meandering about the station and the exterior for way too long had already scanned the hell out of Weavers without unlocking it.

Same here. I really need that one. Thankfully, I've summoned enough Nightmares to where I've scanned a few of them and managed to get both regeneration abilities. Feelsgood.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh that sounds neat. Might just do GUTS and then goof off for a bit.

Cojawfee posted:

Don't forget that you can zoom in with the crossbow.

That would have made things easier. Will definitely remember it now I know. Thanks.

Also I remember I managed to pull off something that made me laugh far too much. I was messing with that Greater Mimic by sticking things in the view cabinets. Well somehow I managed to get it to turn into the Best Thing Ever. One of those drat "not a mimic" post its.e:good, managed to replicate it and I took a screenshot that worked this time

McDragon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 7, 2017

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Section Z posted:

Is that the one that temporarily nullifies enemy psi powers? Because that one is the first "attack"-type power I picked up and it's incredibly helpful in combination with the Stun Gun as a lead-in to clobbering someone with the wrench or with the "Advanced Wrench" (AKA the shotgun).

In other news, I played for another few hours and progressed from the Deep Storage to the Cargo Bay. I quicksaved when I found that floating container with the associated timer and managed to complete it on the second try. What do you guys do for clusters of Cystoids? The Huntress is really helpful when it's more enclosed but when it's a more open space (like the station exterior) it seems to just bounce off into infinity and lose their attention. Sometimes I end up waiting for them to cluster up and then take some potshots with the pistol in the hopes of triggering a chain reaction. The only downside to this is that now I'm almost out of pistol ammo. My next step is to backtrack away from the storyline quests so I can complete side quests to my heart's content (starting with the neuromod DRM crafting limit thing for sure).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ignoranus posted:

What do you guys do for clusters of Cystoids? The Huntress is really helpful when it's more enclosed but when it's a more open space (like the station exterior) it seems to just bounce off into infinity and lose their attention. Sometimes I end up waiting for them to cluster up and then take some potshots with the pistol in the hopes of triggering a chain reaction. The only downside to this is that now I'm almost out of pistol ammo. My next step is to backtrack away from the storyline quests so I can complete side quests to my heart's content (starting with the neuromod DRM crafting limit thing for sure).
Gloo ammo is far more plentiful and will kill Cystoids/nests just as easily, so use that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Throw objects at them, they will chase anything moving and self destruct on it, read your research notes :science:

Though yeah if you don't have any objects gloogun ammo works fine as do AoE psi attacks.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

OwlFancier posted:

Throw objects at them, they will chase anything moving and self destruct on it, read your research notes :science:

Though yeah if you don't have any objects gloogun ammo works fine as do AoE psi attacks.

Ravenfood posted:

Gloo ammo is far more plentiful and will kill Cystoids/nests just as easily, so use that.

Well, I feel like an idiot because these are very, very obvious answers. I keep tending to fall into a more direct shooter-FPS route for handling stuff in this game. No way through the door? Go around and find a button. Meanwhile my fiance is just all turn into a mimic and go through the hole in the glass, which is (in hindsight) very obviously what I should be doing. Then again, one time I tried the same tactic to get into some locked storage areas (with gaps under the doors) and promptly got murdered by the humans in the area who were all terrified by my Typhon abilities in action. Whoops.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other good option is climb as high as you can, talos 1 has some extremely high ceilings and not all the interior walls reach the roof.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Definitely recommend Superthermal on Cystoids if you have the psi to burn. Gloo/huntress/throwing stuff all works, but it can take quite a while on bigger nests. Superthermal eradicates huge clouds at once and feels so good.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

aniviron posted:

Definitely recommend Superthermal on Cystoids if you have the psi to burn. Gloo/huntress/throwing stuff all works, but it can take quite a while on bigger nests. Superthermal eradicates huge clouds at once and feels so good.

Ooh, I hadn't picked up that power yet. Consider it added to my list (once I also grab Regeneration 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Honestly Superthermal is worth it just for the Psychoshock/Superthermal combo alone. On hard it's a one-two combo kill on weavers if you have the right upgrades, and because they don't share a cooldown you can just nuke them (or anything smaller) instantly. Really messes up just about anything.