Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

MikeJF posted:

If I recall correctly, the composer for the first two games hit it big as a J-Pop star soon after and his rates spiked.

Sonic Spinball had to panic and shut down the wrap party to compose a new title screen right as the finished master was about to be sent off to the manufacturers because nobody told the American team making the game they didn't have the rights until some Japanese who flew over saw a demo and got confused.

Yeah, it was Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True. Whenever they use music from Sonic 1 or 2, they have to pay him royalties.

Of course, what's odd is Sonic Mania does have Sonic 1/2 music but didn't use the leitmotif. I guess they just didn't want to and chose not to do it on purpose. Sonic 3, Knuckles and CD all have their own themes as well as just about every Sonic game made after 1992 except for Generations.

They specifically got Masato Nakamura to do the music to Sonic 1 and 2 because he was huge at the time. But the Sega Mega Drive still sold poorly in Japan and Sonic was never very popular there. The Mega Drive was in third place after the Super Famicom and PC Engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm guessing that his rates were huge at the time of Sonic 3, but have gotten more reasonable now so zone remixes can happen - but by now it's tradition to have unique title music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't understand how Sega didn't have the idea to make them sign contracts saying all their compositions written for Sonic games belong to Sega and they can do what they want with them.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Probably because they wanted famous composers and famous composers wouldn't agree to that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm curious: are there any other color-blind folks playing Mania? Did anyone else have issues on the CPZ Act 2 Boss? I had a really tough time trying to figure out the colors. I'm fine for most video games, including the original versions of Mean Bean Machine, but for some reason the CPZ boss here trips me up badly even on replays.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ventana posted:

I'm curious: are there any other color-blind folks playing Mania? Did anyone else have issues on the CPZ Act 2 Boss? I had a really tough time trying to figure out the colors. I'm fine for most video games, including the original versions of Mean Bean Machine, but for some reason the CPZ boss here trips me up badly even on replays.

I'm a little color blind. If I take the tests, I can only pass one of the three patterns. The orange (yellow?) and green, and blue and purple puyos always blend to me unless they're sitting still and I can look at them for a second. And even in puyo puyo tetris the eyes don't help much. I don't have too much trouble with the boss. But there's definitely still times where I go to place a thing, and then I realize that was blue coming down, and it just kinda ruined what I thought I was setting up there.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The actual Puyo Puyo series has an option for shapes but I don't think colorblindness was anticipated for a one off boss.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ventana posted:

I'm colorblind too, but if you pay attention to the shapes and eyes you can tell the colors apart. Each one has a unique look.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Out of curiosity, how could they fix it for players with colourblindness?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Patterns and shapes are a pretty common solution from what I understand. It already sort of has that with the shapes but it can be a bit harder to tell at a glance

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Most games just have a mode with symbols inside the puzzle bits and that works fine. Puyo normally does that but they understandably didn't implement it for a single 2-5 minute boss fight.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VagueRant posted:

Shifting the colors is one solution. People who are colorblind don't see in black and white, they see in muted colors. So just shifting the spectrum can solve the issue.

Thing is different people have different colors of colorblindness, so you'd have to explicitly offer multiple different color schemes in the options for people with red-green or blue-yellow blindness.

Another is something like shape or adding numbers or some other easily recognizable pattern besides color. Color-coding isn't the only design / UX mechanism that can accomplish that kind of coding, its just a very convenient one.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm colorblind too, but if you pay attention to the shapes and eyes you can tell the colors apart. Each one has a unique look.

I always knew that but it never helped me much tbh. Plus the colors were always fine for me before

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can hedgehogs see colour?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hedgehogs have lovely vision and shittier colour vision, they're nocturnal and it's all about hearing and smell for them.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Augus posted:

the levels in this game are so fuckin big, I'm on my fifth or sixth playthrough and I'm still seeing poo poo I've never seen before. Did you know that there's a section in Lava Reef where the lava rises up like in Hill Top Zone? I didn't!

There's a large section of undership in Flying Battery you can skip if you just don't sink through the junkpiles. I think it's even possible to do the entire Act 2 without going down there at all. poo poo's crazy.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
3 acts Mania style is OK. Actually I just want more.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The first phase of the TMZ1 boss is already unfair as Knuckles. It's even worse when the RNG fucks you on the second phase and the lift only goes upwards. :argh:

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's a large section of undership in Flying Battery you can skip if you just don't sink through the junkpiles. I think it's even possible to do the entire Act 2 without going down there at all. poo poo's crazy.

Just got lost and somehow completely skipped the Wacky Workbench electric coil section.

My only time over was in FBZ2, that stage is insane.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Frankston posted:

Can hedgehogs see colour?

No, almost all mammals are red \ green colorblind with the exception of primates which includes us

Hedgehogs in particular have really lovely vision and are nearly blind. Maybe Sonic wears contacts.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So what's everyone's favourite song from Mania? Mine is either Studiopolis 1 or Mirage Saloon 1.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, almost all mammals are red \ green colorblind with the exception of primates which includes us

Hedgehogs in particular have really lovely vision and are nearly blind. Maybe Sonic wears contacts.

The big white thing around his eyes is a corrective lens. The 'pupils' are his actual little beady hedgehog eyes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankston posted:

So what's everyone's favourite song from Mania? Mine is either Studiopolis 1 or Mirage Saloon 1.

I think its Hydrocity but that's probably just because of this unbelievably amazing remix of Hydrocity (which isn't even in sonic mania, in case that wasn't clear) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDYXjwNpqI

(I met House once and I bought that CD from him and he signed it for me :swoon: )

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Frankston posted:

For the new levels. both flavours of Titanic Monarch.

For the remixes, it's even between Flying Battery and Metallic Madness.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Frankston posted:

Studiopolis 2, Lava Reef 2, and Press Garden 2 for me. Also, the theme for the Eggrobo bosses.

I'd be cool with there being an Act 3 to zones if it meant an extra level remix.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Frankston posted:

Mirage Saloon Act 2 or Egg Reverie Zone because I'm a big sucker for Fist Bump

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chemical Plant Act 2, Metallic Madness Act 1 and the standard Eggman boss music. I like some jazz and funkiness in my Sonic music; CD and Rush especially both have some of my all-time favourite tracks.

Edit: Maybe the final boss music instead of the regular boss music? It's so menacing and evil.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 6, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

For the new levels. both flavours of Titanic Monarch.

For the remixes, it's even between Flying Battery and Metallic Madness.

i cant stop hearing that one leitmotif from rayman 2 in titanic monarch

TMZ arent my favourites but i loving love when you die in TMZ2 and the title card appears with that cool as hell menacing intro with the faint short synths in the bg

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Denevo has already been disabled for this game.Thanks for the two week wait for nothing Sega!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kelp Plankton posted:

The big white thing around his eyes is a corrective lens. The 'pupils' are his actual little beady hedgehog eyes

Joking aside, I'm not unconvinced that maybe Sonic was originally designed with that big white part as white fur (you know, like real hedgehogs have on their face) with beady black eyes. But then future designers thought the beady eyes were just pupils/irises and that the whole white part was a uni-eye, or else they separated the eyes and gave him fleshy eyelids.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Joking aside, I'm not unconvinced that maybe Sonic was originally designed with that big white part as white fur (you know, like real hedgehogs have on their face) with beady black eyes. But then future designers thought the beady eyes were just pupils/irises and that the whole white part was a uni-eye, or else they separated the eyes and gave him fleshy eyelids.

Its an old timey superhero mask, like Zorro, but white instead of black

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

^^ its this with more 'tude

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ArfJason posted:

^^ its this with more 'tude

But why does Mickey only have one eye?! :aaaaa:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Out of all of the remixed stages, I think Flying Battery is probobly my favorite, along with Metallic Madness. The music for both is just extremely top notch, and FBZ2 in particular is both massive and just full of cool poo poo. The underside with the Wacky Workbench circuts is pretty rad, and the huge mess of level on the top is amazing, and ending the level from the top route is one of my favorite setpieces in the entire game.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Denevo has already been disabled for this game.Thanks for the two week wait for nothing Sega!

Sega removed it, or what? I'm seeing it's cracked, is that what you mean?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rorac posted:

Sega removed it, or what? I'm seeing it's cracked, is that what you mean?

Yeah, that's what the crack does. Disables Denuvo.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e;fb

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

turboraton posted:

3 acts Mania style is OK. Actually I just want more.

I want a Press Garden Act 1 Act 2 and a Press Garden Act 2 Act 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I lingered in the TMZ2 boss until the time was almost up and as far as I can tell you literally can't destroy the Phantom Heavies no matter how many times you hit them, which is really weird.

Also I finally found the path that lets you skip the bubble maze in Hydrocity 1, woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

spoilers for final boss looks like there might have been a stage planned for Egg Reverie, the little bits of stage shown in the video make me think of it being a race like Metal Sonic's fight but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqpC78YK_Y