Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

"Yeah, sure, my own party said exactly the same thing about me, but this is a partisan witch-hunt."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Straws are nessisary if one is a parent, single use biodegradable ones are a pretty good alternative to plastics.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Why not check the thing out before posting? It has nothing to do with preventing toddlers or disabled people from drinking beverages.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Why not check the thing out before posting? It has nothing to do with preventing toddlers or disabled people from drinking beverages.

Pretty regular occurrence for me in Seattle. Whole bunch of city locations will literally refuse to let you use one for a small child.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Javid posted:

If they're replacing them with non-lovely straws made from other materials: cool

If they're just getting places to stop having straws: gently caress them

Nah they have paper alternatives

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

coyo7e posted:

why do that when I can outragepost after choosing the assumption about the content of the article that will make me angriest

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Nah they have paper alternatives
Yeah I was gonna say, paper straws have been around since way before plastic straws. They're also bad and no one likes them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are paper straws worse or better than whatever the gently caress Taco Time gives out?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I used to have some contact with Pam Roach via lobbying for Planned Parenthood at the local and state levels, and let me tell you she is a complete piece of poo poo in just about every way imaginable. I hope she dies alone and sad and serves as carrion for various scavenging birds.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

I used to have some contact with Pam Roach via lobbying for Planned Parenthood at the local and state levels, and let me tell you she is a complete piece of poo poo in just about every way imaginable. I hope she dies alone and sad and serves as carrion for various scavenging birds.

Got any good stories you want to share?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I had no idea who Pam Roach was so I Googled her and the first result was quite telling

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/pam-roachs-rude-and-unprofessional-behavior-triggers-ban-on-staff-contact-again/

quote:

Dammeier’s directive sets the following conditions for staff contact with Roach:

▪ Personal meetings with Roach require approval in advance from Grimm or his designees;

ADVERTISING

▪ Department directors and staff will respond to requests for information from Roach only if she submits them in writing or during public council meetings;

▪ All information or assistance to Roach must be provided in writing and retained;

▪ Directors and staff may excuse themselves from meetings attended by Roach (or phone calls from her) if they think she is being rude or unprofessional.

:aaaaa:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

coyo7e posted:

I had no idea who Pam Roach was so I Googled her and the first result was quite telling

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/pam-roachs-rude-and-unprofessional-behavior-triggers-ban-on-staff-contact-again/

:aaaaa:

When the state republican party doesn't like how you treat the help, that is a really bad sign.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solkanar512 posted:

Got any good stories you want to share?

I don't really want to get into specifics on here, but Planned Parenthood has a Teen Lobby Day every year, where their Community Educators and Public Affairs people team up to teach kids how to reach out to their elected officials and lobby for a piece of legislation that they've written. The year I worked with them it was a piece of legislation to ban BPA in baby bottles.

Pam Roach made some pretty terrible insinuations about the lifestyles of those teens, and I'll leave it at that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

I don't really want to get into specifics on here, but Planned Parenthood has a Teen Lobby Day every year, where their Community Educators and Public Affairs people team up to teach kids how to reach out to their elected officials and lobby for a piece of legislation that they've written. The year I worked with them it was a piece of legislation to ban BPA in baby bottles.

Pam Roach made some pretty terrible insinuations about the lifestyles of those teens, and I'll leave it at that.

Classy as gently caress.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hello thread, I just moved from pdx to seattle, which is not really relevant to what i came here to say, which is that I am sick to death of these heat waves jfc

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Fuligin posted:

hello thread, I just moved from pdx to seattle, which is not really relevant to what i came here to say, which is that I am sick to death of these heat waves jfc

Last week I joked that people around here liked trees so much I was starting to think they were elves and a guy got indignant with me that the tree hugging could be made fun of.

This is a guy who remains silent when people make fun of him for wasting time at work.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

RuanGacho posted:

Last week I joked that people around here liked trees so much I was starting to think they were elves and a guy got indignant with me that the tree hugging could be made fun of.

This is a guy who remains silent when people make fun of him for wasting time at work.

Look, even lazy elves still have pride in the forest even if they've no pride in their work. C'mon now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's been scientifically proven that spending time in the woods is healthy and it increases mental acuity and mood, spending time at work - not so much

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

therobit posted:

When the state republican party doesn't like how you treat the help, that is a really bad sign.

I had a boss like her for a few years. Petty Tyrants.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/OPB/status/904892088117936129

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Drove through the gorge today, Cascade locks is really on fire and the smoke was crazy. 84 closed from Hood River to exit 32, rerouted to 14 all the way to 205. Trees were throwing 50' towers of fire and the smoke was blotting out the sun.

The fire season this year has been nuts with the BC fires, Montana is on fire, Idaho is on fire, the chetco is on fire, now the gorge is on fire.

The gorge fire was human caused, some idiot with bottle rockets at punchbowl falls on eagle Creek. That's one of my favorite places, I'm going to be real sad seeing the damage this fall.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
It's almost like everyone forgets this has happened every summer for the last decade

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's raining ash in Beaverton/Portland right now.

I definitely don't remember that happening before.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You're right, there aren't as many forests near major metropolitan areas, but I assure you both Washington, Oregon & California are under average hectare count count year to date.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

You're right, there aren't as many forests near major metropolitan areas, but I assure you both Washington, Oregon & California are under average hectare count count year to date.

What's the average acreage and what's the year-to-date acreage?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Reene posted:

I didn't see ash, but the sky certainly looked odd when I went out for a walk in Lake Oswego.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Officer Sandvich posted:

What's the average acreage and what's the year-to-date acreage?

Don't have Alaska's YTD numbers handy, sorry. But here's the last n-years averages by state for Wildland. Prescribed (Rx) acreage has not been included. It's been a very slow and late season this year.

Numbers provided in total acreage, as reported by incident owning agency to FAMWEB and collated by NIFC.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 5, 2017

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

Don't have Alaska's YTD numbers handy, sorry. But here's the last n-years averages by state for Wildland. Prescribed (Rx) acreage has not been included. It's been a very slow and late season this year.

I asked because I'm not sure where to look until the annual reports get released but if I'm understanding it correctly you're using active fire acres for the YTD, not total burn acres.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Officer Sandvich posted:

I asked because I'm not sure where to look until the annual reports get released but if I'm understanding it correctly you're using active fire acres for the YTD, not total burn acres.

YTD is total posted according to NIFC, things get...complicated. I probably ought to take another pass and total everything up by hand as I've noticed there are some discrepancies between what NIFC has currently, and what is posted on InciWeb. I'll see if I can get a better dataset for YTD.

I'll leave this from the national report (current as of: Monday, September 4, 2017 – 0530 MT) for the time being until I can determine if I have access to a current data set.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 5, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
They're getting ready to evacuate Corbett, Oregon, a small city east of the Portland metro area. https://twitter.com/MultCoSO/status/904993467511668736
(Level 2 "Be Set" means pack up and get ready to leave, level 3 would be "Go" and means get the gently caress out)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Reene posted:

I'm not sure I saw raining ash, but I definitely saw THE BLOOD SUN and it actually does feel kind of gnarly to breathe outside right now.

It's so dry here that I'm not surprised this is happening. Going to be a weird few days.

anthonypants posted:

They're getting ready to evacuate Corbett, Oregon, a small city east of the Portland metro area. https://twitter.com/MultCoSO/status/904993467511668736
(Level 2 "Be Set" means pack up and get ready to leave, level 3 would be "Go" and means get the gently caress out)

If this fire actually hits the Portland Metro I swear to god

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
East Corbett is already under Level 3.

Incident: Eagle Creek Fire Wildfire
Released: 1:16 hrs. ago
All lanes of Interstate 84 remain closed from Troutdale (Exit 17) to 2 miles west of Hood River (MP 62).
The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office has now issued Level 3 (Go!) evacuations for Larch Mountain and the communities of Latourell, Bridal Veil, Dodson and Warrendale. East Corbett is also under a Level 3 evacuation and the rest of Corbett is under Level 1 (Be Ready) evacuation. The Red Cross is opening a shelter in Gresham, OR at Mount Hood Community College (26000 SE Stark Street, Gresham, OR).

The Hood River County Sheriff issued Level 3 (Go) evacuations for everything south of Interstate 84 in Cascade Locks. All prior Level 1 evacuations in Cascade Locks have been increased to Level 2 (Set) by the Hood River County Sheriff. A Red Cross Shelter has been set up at the Skamania County Fairgrounds, immediately across the Columbia River in Stevenson, Washington.

Edit: Appears now that the fire has spotted across the river near Skamania.

Edit 2: Early morning IR analysis seems to indicate that the Eagle Creek & Indian Creek fires have basically merged.

Level 3 immediate evacuations for the Washington side of the river for residents on Smith-Cripe Rd & Archer Mountain. That's not going to end well when the wind comes up, and that heads up hill. The good news is there's a pretty decent firebreak at the top, the bad news is it's directly under powerlines. :ohdear:

Hope nobody has to fly into PDX today, that TFR is going to make things interesting.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 5, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

SeaborneClink posted:

Edit: Appears now that the fire has spotted across the river near Skamania.

That would make it now a literal Federal loving Issue, as it's jumped state lines.

Man, I hope it doesn't gently caress up Mt. Hood forest too badly. I like Oregon being green. :(

also not looking forward to going out at all tomorrow because i84 being closed is going to cause chaos literally everywhere.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

SpaceDrake posted:

That would make it now a literal Federal loving Issue, as it's jumped state lines.
That's not how that works.

SpaceDrake posted:

Man, I hope it doesn't gently caress up Mt. Hood forest too badly. I like Oregon being green. :(

also not looking forward to going out at all tomorrow because i84 being closed is going to cause chaos literally everywhere.
agreed and goondolences.

Edit:

Disregard the yellow dots, the red are <6hrs old

10-20 acre spot on the Washington side
100 acre spot near Rooster Rock on the Oregon side.

4800 acre estimated size.

Bridge of the Gods open OR->WA for evacuees, closed for all non-emergency traffic.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 5, 2017

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There's ash falling in Seattle this morning. I was on the bus in the northgate area and little white flakes started flying in the windows. This is just cray cray

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I only just now processed what that poo poo was on my windshield this morning. Jesus.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mt. Si from North Bend this morning.

https://imgur.com/hRRB3R5 ,phone posting images blows

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 5, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The sun is not visible now.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

It's almost like everyone forgets this has happened every summer for the last decade

I've been here all my life and know we've had plenty of forest fires but I've never had pdx covered in smoke more than a single week. The sheer volume of various forest fires is pretty impressive, I just drove from the central coast to portland and didn't break smoke cover once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's literally dropping ash in downtown Seattle right now. 12 years I've lived here and never experienced this. No sun. It's cooler than expected which is nice I guess.