Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of animes have a tendency to turn into convoluted parodies of themselves as soon as the initial arc runs out of steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Das Boo posted:

I really, really enjoy the brutality and indignity of the manga's ending and wish the anime hadn't tried to pretty it up. Light's whole mindset was "I am superior, I am Providence, I am God." and the ugliness of the ending was such a perfect, equal response of "No, you aren't."

Haven't watched the Netflix one yet.

Yeah, the anime never really got the message across there. I think it was worse than the manga in a lot of areas really (except for those sick opening credit songs).

The only thing I didn't like about the manga is that when it went into exposition mode you had pages that were like 70-90% text.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I could never get into Death Note because although I love Rube Goldberg-esque murder mysteries and plots where it gets insanely convoluted, every time I watched anything from the series it seemed to devolve into:

"I thought you'd say that."
"Oh, well I knew you'd think I'd say that."
"I planned for you to know I'd think you'd say that."
*drat, he's good, I'll give him that*

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Das Boo posted:

What are you thinking of?

Luis Buñuel's entire career.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inescapable Duck posted:

A lot of animes have a tendency to turn into convoluted parodies of themselves as soon as the initial arc runs out of steam.

Well, not just animes; this happens to most TV shows after the first few seasons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Emphasis on convoluted, though. Gambits within gambits to a point that makes zero sense if you actually try to map it out, time travel, new antagonists that somehow manage to be super generic and have incredibly complicated origins at the same time, the hero sometimes gaining a completely new and different set of powers and the supporting cast becomes increasingly irrelevant if not outright disappears.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The first half was fun, though. Death Note is a shounen anime about battles of wits. They're just as absurd and removed from reality as punchy battles from other shounen, but it's still a nice change of pace.

The most frustrating thing is that Light's plan for changing the world is so dumb. He can literally mind control people for a month or so before they die, but instead he just gives convicted criminals heart attacks? It's an angsty middle schooler's idea of a grand plan for improving the status quo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All this Death Note talk is doing is making me think about the end of Bakuman, and the final manga they made was just so good and so perfect if only it wasn't for those meddling editors coming in and ruining everything, and they had to fight to give their perfect manga the perfect ending it deserved and everyone loved it and thought it was perfect. Considering Death Note was the series they made before Bakuman, it wasn't hard to draw parallels between the two and deduce that maybe there was some friction happening behind the scenes, which would help explain why the manga went so far off the rails about halfway through.

Maybe Platinum End will end up being better?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wittgen posted:

The first half was fun, though. Death Note is a shounen anime about battles of wits. They're just as absurd and removed from reality as punchy battles from other shounen, but it's still a nice change of pace.

The most frustrating thing is that Light's plan for changing the world is so dumb. He can literally mind control people for a month or so before they die, but instead he just gives convicted criminals heart attacks? It's an angsty middle schooler's idea of a grand plan for improving the status quo.

Basically if you realize Light is a sociopath that gets off on the power he wields, it makes perfect sense his grand scheme is short-sighted and petty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Basically if you realize Light is a sociopath that gets off on the power he wields, it makes perfect sense his grand scheme is short-sighted and petty.

He's exactly the kind of holier-than-thou rear end munch who becomes a fascist in like 8 days.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like in a post-2016 America, you could really make something like Death Note interesting and insightful.

But I guess that woulda taken effort.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like in a post-2016 America, you could really make something like Death Note interesting and insightful.

They did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something something, Light is the criminal justice system that talks a lot but really just gets off on brutalising whoever they can get away with and scaring everyone else into submissive compliance.

Also, doesn't Ryuk tell him that Death Note users tend to meet gruesome fates; not because of any curse or anything, but because they inevitably go power-mad and have to be taken down hard?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I thought it was pretty bold to make Light black & the president, but I don't know how I feel about making the Death Note into a secret swarm of flying robots (kinda lame imho).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

I thought it was pretty bold to make Light black & the president, but I don't know how I feel about making the Death Note into a secret swarm of flying robots (kinda lame imho).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
That seems pretty wild given how the movie goes out of its way to absolve light of wrongdoing and has L chasing light with a gun before being knocked out by a restaurant worker, can you explain what you mean?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raserys posted:

That seems pretty wild given how the movie goes out of its way to absolve light of wrongdoing and has L chasing light with a gun before being knocked out by a restaurant worker, can you explain what you mean?

It doesn't absolve Light of wrongdoing whatsoever. He's just as lovely a person as anime Light, he's just not as smart or composed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The racial politics of the film are very wry; you've got a conflict between the white, middle-class son of a cop who simultaneously convinces himself that the justice system never makes mistakes about other people (as he happily murders criminals to make the world a better place) but also that he was cheated of the justice he deserves for his mother's killer, and on the other hand, a prodigy who happens to be black and an orphan, who has a genuine commitment to justice but is sabotaged by his own dysfunctions, most of which are almost certainly result of a system ostensibly designed to help him (an orphanage) instead deciding to torture him. L spots the problem right away -- the absence of cat and mouse games is appropriate here because Light is not L's intellectual equal in this film, at least not until the movie is already over -- but everyone either doesn't believe him, or prefers to anonymously take Light's side.

This is counter-balanced by some admittedly distracting pacing issues plus the fact that they decided to alter a very important scene in order to absolve L of any wrongdoing, which results in some shaky logic on the detective side of things and kind of cheats L of the chance to develop a little more complexity, but it's still a very funny film and full of imagery and ideas that are relevant to modern American politics.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So, like... Was this one of those things where a pre-existing script was tweaked to match a brand?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Das Boo posted:

So, like... Was this one of those things where a pre-existing script was tweaked to match a brand?

I don't think so? It hits a lot of the same beats as the anime, it's just that each of them is recast to make Light look like an arrogant teenager instead of a superman -- the point being there's nothing special about him except the power he's given.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also more of a vigilante aspect to the Kira stuff rather than a god complex.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It just sounds like the spirit and themes are entirely different. Again I still need to watch the treatment, but I always thought Light's psychopathy was a neat, chaste exercise in The Ted Bundy Experience. His motivation was entirely internal and it made the mechanisms of his thinking all the more grotesque. It didn't take trauma, it just took narcissism.

I gotta get ready for work but yeah, it sounds like the core shifted and that's odd.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, that's the chief complaint lot of my friends had: they made Light sympathetic and kind of a wuss with Misa acting as Lady MacBeth and Ryuk more actively encouraging Light - much as they love how blood-thirsty Mia is, it really is a massive change tonally.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 6, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think Ryuk is even a shinigami in the movie, just a demon, and that distinction basically changes his character and role entirely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think Ryuk is even a shinigami in the movie, just a demon, and that distinction basically changes his character and role entirely.

There's a really cool (maybe coincidental, but maybe not) thing going on there, where Ryuk is played by a guy who once portrayed Jesus Christ, and encourages Light to strike out violently at his perceived oppressors, but grows bored with Light and approves of Mia, who unlike Light is far more willing to use the Death Note to answer the prayers of the helpless. Light, Mia, and Ryuk are all monsters, but Light always lazily takes the side of conventional power structures dialed up to a hideous extreme, while Mia and Ryuk are interested in giving the weak or disenfranchised a weapon. It also ties into the question at the end of whether L will use the Death Note to kill Light when every other measure has failed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, a shinigami is a specific cultural thing and not just like the embodiment of death like the western Grim Reaper so yeah that bit could get lost in translation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But I mean, with the aforementioned Grim Reaper, the shinigami concept should actually be pretty easy for a western audience to understand!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

But I mean, with the aforementioned Grim Reaper, the shinigami concept should actually be pretty easy for a western audience to understand!

It's not a question of understanding or confusion -- by making Ryuk both an administrative manager of human death (which he still is) and also a demonic tempter, it says something different than if he were just one or the other -- basically that Death / Fate is an rear end in a top hat with a sense of humor, which is consistent with Adam Wingard's other films (e: especially You're Next) and with the Final Destination influence.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 6, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean Ryuk sets the entire plot in motion because he was bored and also because gambling on the result of human death note usage is a hobby among shinigami

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I checked out Captain Underpants on a recommendation from a source I trust and it turns out it's a legit good movie. How did THAT end up happening? :psyduck:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

readingatwork posted:

So I checked out Captain Underpants on a recommendation from a source I trust and it turns out it's a legit good movie. How did THAT end up happening? :psyduck:

Because the books are pretty drat good

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I still think it would have worked better to have Harold and George be voiced by actors that are not as old as Mr. Krupp is probably supposed to be but yeah, I was pleasantly surprised also when I went to see it. Some of the villain stuff was a little rote but I liked that they tried to expand more on the lives of people outside of Harold and George.

Also got me curious to check out the series again since I think I stopped paying attention after book 5 came out like 16 or so years ago

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanna watch it. I loved those books as a kid.

The same studio, Blue Sky, did Peanuts, right? They seem to be doing really well making kids movies based on old properties without making them cynical garbage.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Dreamworks did Captain Underpants.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly don't know how to feel about Captain Underpants. I feel weird saying this given the title, but it really has way too much toilet humor in it; when the movie's doing jokes that aren't related to poop or farts or underwear or toilets, it is astoundingly clever, but every now and then it just abruptly stops putting in any kind of effort for a few minutes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Bee posted:

Dreamworks did Captain Underpants.

Oh. I guess I was wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Having Weird Al do the ending theme for Captain Underpants was an inspired choice. I couldn't think of anyone more appropriate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And given the author is a huge fan of Weird Al and keep sprinkling references to his songs, I be he's absolutely estcastic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Was there fliporama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There absolutely was.