Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Don't use unknown origin shifters folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iSyGxVMgmA

Extra short throw baller shifter.

I've seen that happen a couple of times at track with BMW 02 and E21 shifters. Though they break near the bottom joint of the stick.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-HAN...Vt7&vxp=mtr

Cheap as fuuuuck

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 4, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Anyone want to buy my friend's subaru?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/timeattackbuilders/permalink/1649356421750049/

Only downside is the cage could be better. Was put in by some dipshit kid in Canada who was more concered about getting in magazines.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sweet jesus.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:aaaaa:

Do want.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I still have a hard time comprehending the amount of money that guy blows on cars. It started out "oh, yeah, I don't want to get into a whole thing building a GC from scratch because that will take too much time and money." So he finds a swapped one with a cage- hey, cool, practically ready to race! Trades the guy his pristine widebody, turbo S2k that has like 100k in it, then we get the car and realize it is a piece of poo poo so the whole thing got re-done anyway. When that thing pulled up I told him not to do it, but he felt bad because the kid drove all the way from kelowna, bc to LA to make the trade. Even gave him some gas money.

Oh, and the reason he's selling is probably the GT3 he just bought. I think he got rid of the ferrari 360 too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This guy just needs to buy a Porsche cup and call it a day. Yeesh.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good writeups, Kimbo & Muffinpox. Definitely enjoy reading stuff like that, it makes me want to get involved with someone who knows how to fix cars better than I do's LeMons team. Too bad you guys are east coast!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That's a first for me.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Good writeups, Kimbo & Muffinpox. Definitely enjoy reading stuff like that, it makes me want to get involved with someone who knows how to fix cars better than I do's LeMons team. Too bad you guys are east coast!

Wrenching is good but I'd rather just be on a team with a reliable car. I got invited to drive for a team next year at New Jersey with an integra that pretty much runs like a clock so I'll probably go with them. I also must have been very impressive in the battle we had because that was the person I spun infront of after passing.

The C class winner, which was in the top 40 overall, was the slowest car out there but it just never stopped. We went from 35th in bclass and 74th overall to 18th in class and 53rd before we had to bring the car in. We would have made up a bunch of places with shorter stints, we started at 30min and moved up to an hour but most teams were running close to 3 hour stints. At about 5min/stop we probably had the car sitting for an hour which is ~30laps, easily enough to put us in top 10 for class and top 30 overall on day 1. The one thing every team kept repeating was is that if you keep the car running, you'll be top 30. The attrition rate is enormous.

We were pretty fortunate in terms of failures, a motor/tranny swap would have sucked hard. We checked the diff and it was almost out of fluid since the wobbling driveshaft had done a number on the front diff seal. We refilled and checked the leakage, it was seaping but not enough to worry for 3-4 hours left.

Also some teams are real hardcore, there was a turbo 300zx that was plagued by motor problems. On saturday night there was a huge bonfire on the hill overlooking the track and they were working on a rebuild/swap when I went up at 9pm and still working when I came back at 1am. I found out at awards they warped a head in the first hour, swapped to their back up motor which then spun a bearing. They then spent all night taking parts out of motor 1 and putting it into motor 2, which then also exploded, so they found a new motor and jammed that in there too on day 2. Which I think also exploded. That's 4 motor swaps and 1 rebuild in 36 hours.

The coolest car there was a chevette converted to MR with a subie flat-6 and huge fender flares that looked rad as gently caress but I think they did 2-3 engine rebuilds as well. I barely ever saw them running. I'm not sure how reliable the 928 was since they weren't staged near us but I remember seeing them a fair amount on track.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 9, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I think this is relevant content, so cross-posting from Awesome AI poo poo thread. Here are a few of my photos from day 1 of the Goodwood Revival: Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love the S2000 more and more every trackday.

Also, heard that my rollbar might not be NASA compliant after buying because it was advertised as such, waiting to hear back from someone on that. I'll be somewhat irritated if I need to have it modified in car. :allears:
http://www.balladesports.com/products/hondas2000/s2000_interior/ballade-sports-00-09-honda-s2000-v2-roll-bar-rollbar-rollcage-s2k-ap2-ap1

Brian of HASport was at this one with his supercharged K CRZ and Integra TA car. Also had the Level 600+whp Global Time Attack E30 murder everyone. gently caress, that thing sounds like hell has been unleashed when it's behind you.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 10, 2017

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What about that bar isn't NASA legal?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is my question, I just heard through the grapevine that NASA wasn't liking the Ballade Sports rollbars for the S2000. A NASA safety guy took some pictures last night and said he'd get back to me.

HANS guys - Is it normal to put on your helmet, bring your shoulder straps over and tighten them a bit, push the HANS back with your head until it hits the seat, then tighten down the shoulder straps as tight as you can? Am I doing it wrong? I had to cut a tag off the sliding strap since it prevented the strap from sliding through the mounts when I turned my head right. Other than that, it was super comfortable and I didn't even know I was wearing it.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That's pretty much how I do it, though usually I have my helmet / hans on before I get into the car, then straps over the hans tighten and go. Make sure your belt adjusters are on the bottom or below the actual hans device.

I also run mine without padding, I actually find it more comfortable that way.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just registered for the September 23/24 double race at Elkhart Lake - fukkin psyched! First time driving the track at race pace. Hope to hell it doesn't rain.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I love the S2000 more and more every trackday.

Also, heard that my rollbar might not be NASA compliant after buying because it was advertised as such, waiting to hear back from someone on that. I'll be somewhat irritated if I need to have it modified in car. :allears:
http://www.balladesports.com/products/hondas2000/s2000_interior/ballade-sports-00-09-honda-s2000-v2-roll-bar-rollbar-rollcage-s2k-ap2-ap1

For DE nobody will ever call you out for that bar for any reason. As long as it's a 4 point with a diagonal you're good to go.

TT - even then probably OK.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Blaise posted:

For DE nobody will ever call you out for that bar for any reason. As long as it's a 4 point with a diagonal you're good to go.

TT - even then probably OK.

Pretty funny that their own site calls out the S2000 may be fine without one at all, let alone being ok with a bolt in one with 4 mounting points like pictured.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/rollover.html

But seriously wtf is this poo poo

That's the only weird thing I see about it. Is that diagonal X piece bolted to the rest of the main hoop? So you can take it out for street visibility or something? Seems like a strange compromise (if that's the purpose).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 11, 2017

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
It was drat slippery at the track last weekend. I had a bit of a mishap right at the beginning of my timed lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-m5GaoJvow

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Pretty funny that their own site calls out the S2000 may be fine without one at all, let alone being ok with a bolt in one with 4 mounting points like pictured.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/rollover.html

But seriously wtf is this poo poo

That's the only weird thing I see about it. Is that diagonal X piece bolted to the rest of the main hoop? So you can take it out for street visibility or something? Seems like a strange compromise (if that's the purpose).

It was apparently done for shipping reasons, I have no problem having it welded since it would be very easy to do in-car. The concern brought up is how the X in the rear doesn't connect to the main hoop, but it would be fine for HPDE but maybe not TT. I plan on running TT with NASA in the future.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

DoLittle posted:

It was drat slippery at the track last weekend. I had a bit of a mishap right at the beginning of my timed lap.

Forgot to revmatch your downshift?

Sorry to be crass but it worries me that you're that casual about entering a timed lap, driving with one hand. That's an awfully tight track with lots of walls for a car with no safety gear.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Blaise posted:

Forgot to revmatch your downshift?

Sorry to be crass but it worries me that you're that casual about entering a timed lap, driving with one hand. That's an awfully tight track with lots of walls for a car with no safety gear.

Lacking clutch-throttle coordination after the downshift and a bit more entry speed on a track assumed to be slightly less wet than in the previous session. The track is somewhat scary, especially in wet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DoLittle posted:

Any plans to actually hold the steering wheel?

DoLittle posted:

Lacking clutch-throttle coordination after the downshift and a bit more entry speed on a track assumed to be slightly less wet than in the previous session. The track is somewhat scary, especially in wet.

Yeah, doubly so when you're missing half of your steering inputters.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Timed lap? Or pulling into a parking lot? Sigh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Phone posted:

Any plans to actually hold the steering wheel?

The left hand is a habit I've picked up driving on track without proper seat and harness: need to have left elbow against the door handle in order to stay in the seat. I now have a Sparco Evo seat in order to avoid that, but is doesn't quite do the trick on its own. Perhaps I will unlearn it once I have a proper harness. The harness is not yet in because it needs something to mount the rear belts on. The goal is to have a custom roll cage fitted to the car next winter. In order to do that the car obviously has to be stripped and shipped to the cage builder.

Here's an example of what it would look like if I actually were good at it (with seat, harness and cage :) ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhbKiCd_wR8

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
That's a really bad habit even with lovely seats, use your left leg to brace not an appendage actually controlling the car. Your car almost catches you out a few times because you're one handing it.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 12, 2017

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Also what's with all the stuff in the center console that looks like it's about to go flying?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

It was apparently done for shipping reasons, I have no problem having it welded since it would be very easy to do in-car. The concern brought up is how the X in the rear doesn't connect to the main hoop, but it would be fine for HPDE but maybe not TT. I plan on running TT with NASA in the future.

Reading the NASA CCRs I can't see why they wouldn't accept it for HPDE. This is basically the rule "All open cars should have a roll bar installed to help protect the occupant(s) from injury during a roll-over. The
main hoop shall be one continuous piece with smooth Mandrel bends with no evidence of crimping or wall failure"

They explicitly accept this for gently caress's sake:

Reading the TT rules yours should pass if the angle between the main hoop / downtubes is at least 30deg. Their cage rules are definitely not super strict.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
While servicing the race car at Lemons, I snagged my cool suit on something and tore one of the tubes open.
I fixed it by cutting the tubing open at the tear, sliding over a sleeve of heat shrink tubing, smearing a bit of rubber cement at the cut ends, and hitting the heat shrink with a lighter.
The leak seems fixed.
Does introducing that bit of rubber cement really matter, as far as fire risk? It's under the driving suit, after all.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here, have a lovely video of Musselman Honda Circuit CW. Somewhere in the 1:03 area on this lap, quickest lap for me was a mid 1:02. A mid 1:00 won my class, I was third. I am slow and a lovely driver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0TkmzBsOTw

Also, signed up for Chuckwalla on Oct 7th and 8th.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 13, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
So I could use some advice on weekend/track tires for my '82 911. I'm comfortable on track but focused on learning over lap times and with an old 911 I'd rather have predictable handling over high limits. I was looking at RE-71s and Ventus RS4s but honestly I feel like I don't need stone-grabbing levels of grip and I don't want to go nuts on road noise. I've had Yokohama S-Drives on the car for a while (so cheap) but they don't give me a lot of confidence (and can't handle trail-braking at all) so I'd like something more but not all the way. Any thoughts?

I do 2-3 track days a year with a couple of hours of track time each (small run groups so lots of track time, good for fun but bad for tires).

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 13, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dave Inc. posted:

I've had Yokohama S-Drives on the car for a while (so cheap) but they don't give me a lot of confidence (and can't handle trail-braking at all) so I'd like something more but not all the way.
Does anyone like this tire? It is very cheap, but I was not pleased with how it felt. Seemed slippery or greasy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

As always I'll recommend the Dunlop Star Spec. They aren't the fastest tire out there but they're very predictable, wear well and are reasonably priced. If you really beat on them for a couple laps they'll get greasy but other than that we had no complaints.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Z2 is an old tire at this point.

The RS4 is your best bet in terms of wear and grip for an extreme summer tire.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I hate to say this - but if you're considering SCCA track night as your first event (or just going in general) - I'd pass.

I've been to three now here at NJMP and they've been getting worse and worse.

Two events ago I got pushed onto the grass by an e46 who insisted 'you have to hit the brakes if you give a point by.'

Last night was a disaster. I watched an RX-7 almost take out a miata in T1 after taking a pass without a point, then spun. I had a talk with him.... then he did it again. Then I saw him going down the front straight doing about 40mph with his arm just out the window.

A guy in a 128i was driving around with his left arm just rested on the window.

A broken exocet was parked ON TRACK at the exit of the fastest turn. No flags thrown.

I could go on and on and maybe I'm spoiled by how safe NASA runs their events, but I'm done with them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds like the non-NASA events in Arizona.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Sounds like the non-NASA events in Arizona.

Good to know. Always NASA all the time then eh?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Blaise posted:

Good to know. Always NASA all the time then eh?

The events being run at MHC are pretty much run by Ravi (runs an ITB'd NSX in GTA/NASA TT) and they go smoothly, but yeah, that, or out of state.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
PCA apparently runs pretty decent events, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've not been, but I guess I should more accurately say that kind of stuff happens frequently at PAS events.