Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So there is a new watch coming out at the iPhone event, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

So there is a new watch coming out at the iPhone event, right?

No one is sure but maybe. If not with this event then I would expect one in November ish.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Drastic Actions posted:

The battery in my launch day Series 0 started the budge, and the screen popped off, while I was talking to someone.

Called Apple, got a free replacement, and they just shipped a Series 1, so that's cool.

Where you on AppleCare for it still?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where you on AppleCare for it still?

Nope. I didn't get charged for it either. Free shipping, got my new one in a few days. I'm not sure if it was covered by the warranty or there's some repair program for battery issues? The support person asked if I had done things like swim with it (since it's an original model, that's not supported) or how long I left it on the charger (at night, when I go to bed, so usually 5 or 6 hours).

So yeah, if battery issues come up, even if you're out of warranty, worth a shot going to the Apple Store or giving them a call.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They extended the warranty on battery issues to 5 years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh wow. I hope my 0 fucks up then so I could get a 1.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My battery on my 0 was messing up but a restart fixed whatever was going on. At this point this watch will keep me happy until the new ones are announced. I’ll probably jump on those (assuming they also have GPS like series 2) since I would love to not need my phone when I’m out running.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My battery on my 0 was messing up but a restart fixed whatever was going on. At this point this watch will keep me happy until the new ones are announced. I’ll probably jump on those (assuming they also have GPS like series 2) since I would love to not need my phone when I’m out running.

Yeah, I think I'll run my S0 into the ground as well. But man... give me maybe 4-8 gigs of music storage, GPS, Apple Pay, and cellular, and that's really a fantastic runner's watch. We'll see I guess.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The remote camera feature doesn't work on my series 0 after multiple restores now. Maybe that'll be a good enough reason for Apple to give me a 1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The remote camera feature doesn't work on my series 0 after multiple restores now. Maybe that'll be a good enough reason for Apple to give me a 1.

It's never worked on mine and I've just given up on it at this point.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If it doesn't work after a restore on your watch it's probably your phone that's acting up.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what's the most accurate Apple Watch exercise for tracking calorie burn? how do they compute it? my watch keeps insisting I'm burning 750-800 calories for an hour of 180 bpm exercise, which seems pretty wrong as much as I want it to be right.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what's the most accurate Apple Watch exercise for tracking calorie burn? how do they compute it? my watch keeps insisting I'm burning 750-800 calories for an hour of 180 bpm exercise, which seems pretty wrong as much as I want it to be right.

Zones works well for me. It uses heart rate and the info you provide to Apple Health (height, weight, age, sex, etc). You tell it what kind of workout you're doing and that influences how it counts calories.

For example, I work out with a trainer a couple times a week and I classify it as "Functional Strength Training". I'm a male of reasonable fitness and it puts me around 500 calories for an hour of hard workout.

Violator
May 15, 2003

One thing I haven't seen anyone talk about for an updated watch is for an updated screen that goes edge to edge. I think that would look better and provide a little more space for apps. That might be enough to qualify for the "redesign" Gruber talked about?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Violator posted:

One thing I haven't seen anyone talk about for an updated watch is for an updated screen that goes edge to edge. I think that would look better and provide a little more space for apps. That might be enough to qualify for the "redesign" Gruber talked about?

I have mixed feelings about an edge to edge screen. I have a couple fine dings on the edge of the face but not where the screen extends.

It's nice that I don't notice those little dings since they're not over the screen. That area is also the most likely to get hit on something.

Note: I'm not actually smacking this thing on stuff all the time but I have a couple times.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
stars aligned strangely and I managed to snag a S1 42mm for free :toot:. I don't feel like writing paragraphs today so have some lists.

-I totally underestimated battery life. Itll never be anywhere near my former pebble, but this seems like it'll have no problem lasting me through an 8 hour shift. For some reason I expected way more battery babysitting. This is only day 3 though, and tomorrow I start work with the watch.

-Best build quality of any smartwatch ive had. Comfortable to wear compared to the Fitbit Charge HR 2. Pebble Classic still felt the best (as it, was easy to forget it was there). HR monitor is to blame obviously, but at least its not as jutted out like the Charge 2.

-Custom watchfaces with shortcut icons are clutch. I'd kill for a watchface that had a full 30 day calendar though. One of the really cool things I miss from the Pebble.

-Screen is super nice and bright. Hopefully I don't shatter this somehow with impact. I'm a clumsy person.

- :smith: NO SPOTIFY CONTROLS :smith:

-onboard siri is sick and replying to text messages quickly rocks socks.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

buglord posted:

-I totally underestimated battery life. Itll never be anywhere near my former pebble, but this seems like it'll have no problem lasting me through an 8 hour shift. For some reason I expected way more battery babysitting. This is only day 3 though, and tomorrow I start work with the watch.

Here's a pro tip that most AW owners learn.
Get a charging dock, take the Watch off at night when you sleep and forget the AW has a battery because battery life will never be a problem. I can't even remember the last time I even bothered to look at my battery level because I know my AW2 gets about 3 days.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

buglord posted:

stars aligned strangely and I managed to snag a S1 42mm for free :toot:. I don't feel like writing paragraphs today so have some lists.

- :smith: NO SPOTIFY CONTROLS :smith:

The now playing app in the dock will control Spotify

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Bum the Sad posted:

The now playing app in the dock will control Spotify

dock?

e: holy moly, HOLY MOLY

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Click the button. Not the stem.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Here's a pro tip that most AW owners learn.
Get a charging dock, take the Watch off at night when you sleep and forget the AW has a battery because battery life will never be a problem. I can't even remember the last time I even bothered to look at my battery level because I know my AW2 gets about 3 days.

Or if you want to sleep track, just charge while you're in the shower. A quick 20-30m charge a day is enough to keep it going.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

buglord posted:

Welcome

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

buglord posted:

Hopefully I don't shatter this somehow with impact. I'm a clumsy person.
AppleCare is $49 for two years and can get you a replacement for $69 if you bust it. A thing for clumsy people to think about.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

AppleCare is $49 for two years and can get you a replacement for $69 if you bust it. A thing for clumsy people to think about.

Do I need proof of purchase? This was a work gift event and the company ordered everything under their name and card.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

buglord posted:

dock?

It gets better in AW OS4 since Apple added a Now Playing complication.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

buglord posted:

Do I need proof of purchase? This was a work gift event and the company ordered everything under their name and card.
I think you just need serial number and be within 30 days of purchase or something. You go to a store or call in and they check the number and do some diagnostic iirc, if it's all good you can purchase AppleCare.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Welp I just got a call that the gift was given in error. That was a nice apple watch I once had.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Time to bust out your best "oh... I gave it to my cousin who lives out of state..." or "coincidentally I lost it!"

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
lol @ an employer who would take that back instead of eating $350 in good will

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

pzy posted:

lol @ an employer who would take that back instead of eating $350 in good will

One time my company told me my bonus for the year. Then gave me less than half what they told me and said what I was told initially was a mistake. That felt like poo poo. It still isn't the same as giving something and taking it back though. That's extra hosed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Coming back to clarify, it was meant for another coworker who I personally know. I wasn't really forced to give it up since I already "owned" it, but I'd rather not tarnish goodwill towards that coworker.

That all said, I'm sorta mentally invested in a watch now, but like my other smart watches, it's an (admittedly cool) time saver rather than a game changer. I'm hoping for something exciting this September from apple's event, but Macrumors seems to point to a spec. upgrade instead of any landmark changes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uhm well it's supposed to have an LTE connection which I would definitely class as a game changer

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uhm well it's supposed to have an LTE connection which I would definitely class as a game changer

Yeah I guess that too. I keep my phone around me like an appendage anyway so it seems redundant one way or the other. Runners will probably like it though!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

New use for the Apple Watch: cheating in Major League Baseball games:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html

As a Yankees fan.. geez. You can't steal signs the old fashioned way?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I just got my Series 2 in the mail today (Thanks, Aetna!) and I was very impressed when I took it to the pool this evening. It was a lot of fun tracking my laps, and I think this gamification of my fitness is exactly the push I needed.

On the top of my watch-face screen is a red dot where the charging and waterproof icons usually are. What does this mean? Recording something?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It means you have a notification! Swipe down

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Binary Badger posted:

New use for the Apple Watch: cheating in Major League Baseball games:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/05/sports/baseball/boston-red-sox-stealing-signs-yankees.html

As a Yankees fan.. geez. You can't steal signs the old fashioned way?

Yeah, like have your personal tv network dedicate a camera to stealing the signs for you.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
As a piece of anecdata, I wear my S0 24/7 except for when I'm in the shower. It always has charge enough, even for all-night motion and heart rate tracking with the Pillow app.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

horse mans posted:

As a piece of anecdata, I wear my S0 24/7 except for when I'm in the shower. It always has charge enough, even for all-night motion and heart rate tracking with the Pillow app.

That's great, my S0 lasts me max 16 hours if I don't use the workout app at all. 13-14 hours if I do.

Reading here that folks are getting 48 - 72 hours on an S2 is making it really hard for me to resist an upgrade, especially if there is a price drop after the S3 is announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never run my S2 down to dead, but today I've been wearing it for 3.5 hours and it's at *checks* 100%. Okay. Basically, I just don't think about the battery since it's never even close to dead.

• Locked thread