Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The post credit scene will be Cousin Itt from the Addams Family showing up in the sewers to talk to Pennywise. The IT Cinematic Universe or ICU.

"There's a whole family of these fuckers?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

The post credit scene will be Cousin Itt from the Addams Family showing up in the sewers to talk to Pennywise. The IT Cinematic Universe or ICU.

LMAO, beat me to it. The next one has a four foot tall clown wig roaming around chittering at kids.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So when does the review embargo drop?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when does the review embargo drop?

I've heard tomorrow? Fingers crossed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There was actually a network of storm drains navigable by tween-sized kids in my neighborhood growing up, and we used to go exploring in them with flashlights for fun. I remember one time we heard this really creepy noise echoing through the tunnel and me and my friends were like :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: :stonk: and ran out of there, convinced there was 'something' down there in the darkness. Later we found out it was some other rear end in a top hat kid who was banging on a manhole cover with a rock to scare us.

This was around when I initially saw the IT miniseries. For me, it wasn't just a freaky clown, it was a freaky clown that lives in the goddamn sewers that frightened me.

I was trying to explain to my wife about what made IT so freaky to people; for me it was a monster that lurks in a dark, claustrophobic environment you can't escape. Her own fears are different; raised Catholic she's much more freaked out about 'possessed by a devil' type horror movies than some shapeshifting clown messing with you.

I guess the other thing is how goddamn jovial Pennywise is about terrifying his prey. He absolutely relishes it. Like when he was in the library laughing and playing the noisemakers while the blood balloons are popping and nobody else is paying attention- he's great at zeroing in on how helpless you feel in his presence.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've been rereading the book in preparation for the movie, as it's been a couple of years since my last go-around and a question popped into my head: does anybody know the reason behind Pennywise taking the name "Bob Gray" as an alias? I get It disguising itself as a clown to lure in children, but by adopting a "real" name for that form, there's a weird implication that It like, maybe based Pennywise on someone It had previously encountered? Like was Bob Gray a "real" person in Derry that It assumed the identity of or something? I know it's most likely just an eloquent bit of flavor-weirdness on King's part, but it's kind of a weird bit to drop into It's character.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fart City posted:

I've been rereading the book in preparation for the movie, as it's been a couple of years since my last go-around and a question popped into my head: does anybody know the reason behind Pennywise taking the name "Bob Gray" as an alias? I get It disguising itself as a clown to lure in children, but by adopting a "real" name for that form, there's a weird implication that It like, maybe based Pennywise on someone It had previously encountered? Like was Bob Gray a "real" person in Derry that It assumed the identity of or something? I know it's most likely just an eloquent bit of flavor-weirdness on King's part, but it's kind of a weird bit to drop into It's character.

You just made me realize that in Dreamcatcher (at least the film, haven't read the book) the evil alien is also named "Mr. Gray" by Dudditz. I gotta imagine there's a connection there.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

https://twitter.com/wtbw/status/905052972588994562

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fart City posted:

Is it an anagram for "Grab Boy"? Probably a reach.

Those fuckers. Stole my loving idea.

Brilliant marketing though. Cheap, cost effective and viral. Even people unfamiliar with the material will wonder what the gently caress is going on. "What's with the all red balloons?"

Gonna go see this this weekend before Irma drowns my home.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Fart City posted:

The various snippets of the past [Bradley Gang shooting, lumberjack axe murder, Kitchener Ironworks Explosion] suggest that It likes to show up during tragedies and poo poo like that. I figured giving Pennywise a "real" name was for the rare occasions when It dealt with grownups. Like, a kid will just accept that a clown is 100% always a clown all the time and so no name other than Pennywise is needed, but an adult like Mr. Keene would be all "So, what do they call you when you're not clowning?" and that kinda poo poo. "Bob Gray" works better than GAZE INTO THE DEADLIGHTS SHORT-TIMER if It's intending on hanging around for a while.

Panfilo posted:

You just made me realize that in Dreamcatcher (at least the film, haven't read the book) the evil alien is also named "Mr. Gray" by Dudditz. I gotta imagine there's a connection there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_alien

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just realized that both It and Twin Peaks are about a series of murders and paranormal events in a small lumber town and in both cases someone named Bob plays a very prominent role.

Not really anything in common other than that but it's a weird set of commonalities.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to release a bunch of balloons in a crowded theater. Slow at first. One or two maybe every 30 minutes. and then just have an explosion of Balloons.

Everyone will be attacked by balloons!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Man, I'm really feeling this is going to be huge. I can't remember the last time it felt like there was this much buzz over a horror movie before. I know I've already got my ticket to see it first showing 24 hours from now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want this to be good so so bad. Yes I know RT scores aren't everything but I'm hoping to see this in the 90s and for it to be a huge box office hit.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It is going to absolutely loving destroy the box office. The Hitman's Bodyguard has been number one four weeks in a row.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

It is going to absolutely loving destroy the box office. The Hitman's Bodyguard has been number one four weeks in a row.

I'm gonna make a prediction that this will be a Sixth Sense sized hit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm going on Thursday night :getin:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm gonna make a prediction that this will be a Sixth Sense sized hit.

You think it’s going to make almost $700 million?

That seems really unlikely. I think it’ll be the biggest horror movie since the Sixth Sense, but that’s not especially difficult since most horror movies tap out at $100 million.

Also, holy gently caress, $700 million, Sixth Sense was a goddamn phenomenon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

You think it’s going to make almost $700 million?

That seems really unlikely. I think it’ll be the biggest horror movie since the Sixth Sense, but that’s not especially difficult since most horror movies tap out at $100 million.

Also, holy gently caress, $700 million, Sixth Sense was a goddamn phenomenon.

Yeah maybe not that much. It will definitely do as well or better than Conjuring, which was like 350-400?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I want to release a bunch of balloons in a crowded theater. Slow at first. One or two maybe every 30 minutes. and then just have an explosion of Balloons.

Everyone will be attacked by balloons!

Do it. Bonus points for filling them with red dyed Karo syrup.

Agree that this thing is gonna be huge. The hype is palpable.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's with the embargo nonsense?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Sixth Sense was PG13, so it has an advantage right there.

For R-rated horror, the current domestic box office champ for opening weekend is Hannibal, which did just over $58 million. I think It will beat that.

The highest grossing R-rated horror of all time is the Exorcist at $232.9 million (domestic, not adjusted for inflation). It'll be hard to reach that benchmark. The next highest horror is Get Out, at $175.4 million. As long as It doesn't get killed by reviews I think it will end up around here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it definitely has to be said that the marketing machine for this movie has been off the hook. plus it feels a little like a right place/right time thing.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I've seen it tracking for a $60-80 opening weekend.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it definitely has to be said that the marketing machine for this movie has been off the hook. plus it feels a little like a right place/right time thing.

that's a good point. It does feel that way, doesn't IT?

Plus, I think people are getting tired of the Comic Book Movie of the Month and seem to want something different.

At least I do. And am. Or whatever the gently caress I'm saying.

The marketing seems to have struck a perfect balance between over hyping and simply creating a whisper campaign. Word of mouth hype amongst my friends has been off the chain.

EDIT: Plus, with Irma bearing down on my state, I bet I can get the theater all to myself on Saturday as I drown watching IT.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I say this a lot but horror is in a really cool spot right now. I mean the other big surprise runaway success this year was Get Out.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT: Plus, with Irma bearing down on my state, I bet I can get the theater all to myself on Saturday as I drown watching IT.

You'll float too.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's unique in that for a lot of people in my age group (early-mid 30's), the original TV movie was an indelible media touchstone of our childhood. So there's a built in nostalgia draw, on top of people who are fans of the book, on top of a strong marketing push for those who aren't either. It casts a much wider awareness net than a new, original horror release might. And I don't mean that in a bad or cynical way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kevyn posted:

You'll float too.

:golfclap:

Well played sir.

How the gently caress did I not think of that joke?

I'm slipping.

Fart City posted:

It's unique in that for a lot of people in my age group (early-mid 30's), the original TV movie was an indelible media touchstone of our childhood. So there's a built in nostalgia draw, on top of people who are fans of the book, on top of a strong marketing push for those who aren't either. It casts a much wider awareness net than a new, original horror release might. And I don't mean that in a bad or cynical way.

No, I think you nailed it and that ties into what Uncle Boogeyman was saying about "right place, right time"

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanna do that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I wanna do that.

Do your balloon thing at the theater and put fake blood in them.

then post pix/video here.

I'm semi considering it myself.

not really but that'd be cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not gonna do it. I'll be in Vegas when it comes out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not gonna do it. I'll be in Vegas when it comes out.

Yeah, don't do anything untoward or strange in VEGAS.

*SIGH*

Fine. I'll do IT.

You big wuss.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Imagine telling a terrified friend you got them into premier showing of It and they walk into the Alamo All Clown showing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, don't do anything untoward or strange in VEGAS.

*SIGH*

Fine. I'll do IT.

You big wuss.

Ill be too drunk and rowdy to go see a movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Imagine telling a terrified friend you got them into premier showing of It and they walk into the Alamo All Clown showing.

Bonus points if you're on acid.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm such a dork, if I lived in the US I would totally take a trip to Bangor, watch the movie opening night there, and spook myself after leaving the theater walking around the Kenduskeag, canal, standpipe and the rest at night.

Edit: And the Paul Bunyan statue... can't forget that

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 6, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm reading the book and wowee, is it ever just littered with the weirdest sex poo poo. Like every time a female, girl or woman, is mentioned, King talks about her breasts. And an uncomfortable amount of little boy genitals.
What's going on here? I've read King stuff before and I don't remember it being quite this... much. And so casually.

e: Not to mention Pennywise offering to blow a kid, the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
THIS CLOWN NEEDS TO STOP TALKING ABOUT PENISES.

• Locked thread