Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Justinian/Theodora (as in, both of them) would be awesome.

Irene would be even better. :getin:

Irene's just a low rent Wu Zeitan. For real though if Rome gets classical rome and the eastern roman empire there's no reason they can't finally throw China a bone and have separate Civilizations for say the Han and the Tang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Well, they've also had famously benevolent leaders like Mao and Qin Shi Huang

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Justinian/Theodora (as in, both of them) would be awesome.

Irene would be even better. :getin:

Baldwin I :smugdog:

Byazntine and I have managed about 45 turns of our Venice-Byzantium GMR game, and so far it's shaping up to be very interesting. The game spawned us both on the same continent so naturally we're already at war with each other.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:popcorn:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gaius Marius posted:

Irene's just a low rent Wu Zeitan. For real though if Rome gets classical rome and the eastern roman empire there's no reason they can't finally throw China a bone and have separate Civilizations for say the Han and the Tang.

Germany's had the HRE and Germany too. Yet Italy has never been in the game. I guess italians don't buy Civ?

I always think their choices of civilizations are absolutely bizzare. And I really don't like Victoria ruling England instead of the United Kingdom.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Germany's had the HRE and Germany too. Yet Italy has never been in the game. I guess italians don't buy Civ?

I always think their choices of civilizations are absolutely bizzare. And I really don't like Victoria ruling England instead of the United Kingdom.

I am pretty sure Venice is in Italy. Is your objection that they didn't name the civ "Italy", or that they didn't pick Mussolini?

Victoria is probably "England" for the same reason Roosevelt is "America" (neither being the actual name of the country they headed). On top of that, should they add another leader to "England" (i.e. Elizabeth), that person would not necessarily be a historical leader of the U.K.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

I am pretty sure Venice is in Italy. Is your objection that they didn't name the civ "Italy", or that they didn't pick Mussolini?

Victoria is probably "England" for the same reason Roosevelt is "America" (neither being the actual name of the country they headed). On top of that, should they add another leader to "England" (i.e. Elizabeth), that person would not necessarily be a historical leader of the U.K.

Rome is in Italy too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Taear posted:

Still doesn't hold a candle to combining a dozen very powerful and significant Muslim empires into a made up "arab" empire and giving them a Kurdish warlord for a leader. And seriously no Mongols but you've got Australia. And two leaders for Greece and a Macedon civilization. I don't even know what the gently caress they're doing.

I also hope they ban leaders from the last game from appearing in the next. So many good leaders are being excluded. Where's my game with Alfred the great leading an Anglo saxon flavored English civ.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Rome is in Italy too
Civilizations are not points on a map.

homullus posted:

You're aware that they're are other leaders of Italy besides Mussolini. Besides of which his point was that Italy was never in the game, Venice was but it's entire flavor is that it's a one city operation focused on trade. The nation of Italy is not that in the least.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 5, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The funniest thing I learnt today was that Ashurbanipal, who from playing Civ V I assumed was a super-important Assyrian leader, actually oversaw the downfall and destruction of the empire and wrote a bunch of "woe is me" letters about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Italy has been in every civ game, because

Elias_Maluco posted:

Rome is in Italy too

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaius Marius posted:

Civilizations are not points on a map.

"Rome" is often shorthand for "the Roman empire", which is significantly larger than a point on most maps.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just wish the game was good. Who cares what you call your team? The only aspects of the civs that matter are the mechanics. If the mechanics are trash, like they were in civ5 and 6, and the game isn't even fun to play, why even bother with "Italy" or whatever. It's like complaining your shitheap of a car is the wrong color.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

homullus posted:

My objection is that they didn't name the Civ Italy.
Although there's Prussia in Civ3 I think? It's strange that they've got Australia but only Venice as a representative of Italy.

And if Rome is Italy then what's going on with the Celts? Are they England/France/Austria/Spain?

And Roosevelt being America is totally different from Victoria being England. America is a shorthand for the United States of America. England is a historical nation that became the United Kingdom after a union with Scotland and Ireland. Victoria ruled all three kingdoms, Elizabeth only ruled England.

It does matter to me because Civs aren't just mechanics to me. They're personalities and roleplay. That's what's fun for me. Not +2 production.
I'm not saying "Well I won't play because [Aragon] aren't in the game" either, just that the civs they pick to use are really strange at times (like the aforementioned three Greeces)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Taear posted:

Elizabeth only ruled England.

She ruled Wales and Ireland, too, dood.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aerdan posted:

When was the last time anybody cared about Wales? They seem to be super-overlooked.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aerdan posted:

She was Queen of England and Ireland but Wales has never been an offical part of the United Kingdom nor part of the titles of any of the Monarchs.
It doesn't change the fact that them calling Victoria "Queen of England" is Americans making out England and the UK are the same thing!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you the guy who wanted Poland in 4 and ranted about it for years .

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Are you the guy who wanted Poland in 4 and ranted about it for years .

Yep.

But again it was down to a "isn't it weird that they've got [somewhere] and not Poland" way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taear posted:

She was Queen of England and Ireland but Wales has never been an offical part of the United Kingdom nor part of the titles of any of the Monarchs.
It doesn't change the fact that them calling Victoria "Queen of England" is Americans making out England and the UK are the same thing!

What about the Prince of Wales?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

prefect posted:

What about the Prince of Wales?

You can learn about that in the wiki article, it's a lot like just being the duke of Cornwall and etc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd like to see more Native American civilizations, personally. Probably because I'm from Florida, but I keep thinking the Seminole would be an easy one.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Florida Man conquers Rome.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
republic of texas when

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I think there should be more leaders for different civs before adding new ones. This is probably wishful thinking though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The White Dragon posted:

republic of texas when

Bear republic.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Deleter posted:

I think there should be more leaders for different civs before adding new ones. This is probably wishful thinking though.

I think that is exactly what will happen. Only one civ has more than one leader, and there are many that are good candidates for second and third leaders (as in Civ IV). It is likely that the additional leaders will take advantage of whatever new mechanics are introduced in further expansions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

homullus posted:

I think that is exactly what will happen. Only one civ has more than one leader, and there are many that are good candidates for second and third leaders (as in Civ IV). It is likely that the additional leaders will take advantage of whatever new mechanics are introduced in further expansions.

I could also see a Classic Leaders DLC. Abraham Lincoln, Elizabeth, Isabella, Catherine, Bismarck, etc.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

homullus posted:

I hope so. Part of it is that I want to see how you could take civs in other directions with different leaders, like Japan or China. Some of the modded civs have been really cool in this regard, although I can't speak for their balance.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes more leaders is just the thing that will convince me to buy this lovely bug-ridden game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who even uses the built-in leaders instead of the anime mods

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

"Rome" is often shorthand for "the Roman empire", which is significantly larger than a point on most maps.

The point is that the Roman empire was a vast territory that encompassed thousands of miles and millions of people and whose center of power only remained in Rome for a short period compared to the vast length of time it existed. Every game with Rome has the civ representing the classical empire of Augustus and Trajan. Saying it's a representative of a separate polity that existed a thousand years later after Mass migrations and annexations on the peninsula is ridiculous. It's like saying the US shouldn't be in since there's already Cherokee in the game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if we'll see more leaders for DLC civs. Persia stands out to me as a civ that would work especially well with a second leader, because so much of how Persia plays is dictated by Cyrus and Fall of Babylon. All of the civ's bonuses are to culture and gold and stuff, but Cyrus turns them into a very effective military civ where you'll probably do culture stuff second to crushing your enemies, at least early on. Put Darius or someone else in charge, and you could completely change how the civ plays, more than most civs would change.

But that'd be DLC that requires you to have DLC, so, not sure how keen they'd be on making that.

Either way, I'm hoping to see more leaders sometime too. There's a lot of candidates they have, and it could make things a lot more interesting.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Baldwin I :smugdog:

Byazntine and I have managed about 45 turns of our Venice-Byzantium GMR game, and so far it's shaping up to be very interesting. The game spawned us both on the same continent so naturally we're already at war with each other.

Baldwin and co never claimed to be Roman Emperors (because to Catholics, the Roman Empire was the state based in Germany - it wasn't even called the Holy Roman Empire until 1254). The Latins instead called themselves "Emperors of Romania". :smugdog::pipe:

And despite the best efforts of Perfidious Venezia, Sinai has been claimed for the empire.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Gluing leader chat and historical accuracy chat together, Charlemagne would be under Germany here, right? It's pretty explicitly based on the HRE, and Charlemagne with U-Boats is a funny mental image, but would he bring anything to the table that Frederick doesn't already?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Byzantine posted:

Baldwin and co never claimed to be Roman Emperors (because to Catholics, the Roman Empire was the state based in Germany - it wasn't even called the Holy Roman Empire until 1254). The Latins instead called themselves "Emperors of Romania". :smugdog::pipe:

:drat:

quote:

And despite the best efforts of Perfidious Venezia, Sinai has been claimed for the empire.

Venezia forgot how annoying barbs can get when you only have one city for them to attack.

The Deleter posted:

Gluing leader chat and historical accuracy chat together, Charlemagne would be under Germany here, right? It's pretty explicitly based on the HRE, and Charlemagne with U-Boats is a funny mental image, but would he bring anything to the table that Frederick doesn't already?

Wouldn't Charlemagne be more appropriate under the French, or "Franks" if you want to get super accurate?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's a French leader imho.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

:drat:

Venezia forgot how annoying barbs can get when you only have one city for them to attack.

Wouldn't Charlemagne be more appropriate under the French, or "Franks" if you want to get super accurate?

Wherever you put Charlemagne , people going to complain to show how smart they are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Catherine de Medici as France's leader was worth it just for the bitching.

Some of the alternate rulers in Civ2 could be good for a laugh to bring back. Every civ had a default male and female name, even if that civ had no known historical female rulers. Got things like Eleanor Roosevelt leading America.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cythereal posted:

Catherine de Medici as France's leader was worth it just for the bitching.

Some of the alternate rulers in Civ2 could be good for a laugh to bring back. Every civ had a default male and female name, even if that civ had no known historical female rulers. Got things like Eleanor Roosevelt leading America.

Didn't they use a Japanese goddess as the leader for Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amaterasu, yes. I think Scheherazade led something too.