Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedSpider
May 12, 2017

This is great news. Mr. Trevorrow was a loving hack. Book Of Henry :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd like to think that Disney executives saw The Book of Henry and then started getting very uneasy in their chairs, followed by frantic phone calls to various departments.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

subject: fw: book of henry???
body:

SERIOUSLY GUYS????????? WE COULDN'T PULL A 'MYSTERY MEN' ON THIS ONE?

Regards, Michael

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Gonz posted:

I'd like to think that Disney executives saw The Book of Henry and then started getting very uneasy in their chairs, followed by frantic phone calls to various departments.

He only got the Star Wars job due to the studio initially believing Jurassic World's box office success = quality.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Like I said in the other thread, I hope they get Jodorowsky.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Like I said in the other thread, I hope they get Jodorowsky.

CGI'd uncanny valley Salvador Dali is gonna be trippy AF.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

RedSpider posted:

He only got the Star Wars job due to the studio initially believing Jurassic World's box office success = quality.

Yeah, but The Book of Henry came out 3 months ago.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Rumors were starting up 3 months ago.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I hope they get Michael Bay

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonz posted:

CGI'd uncanny valley Salvador Dali is gonna be trippy AF.

Really, I just want that longshot of the Galaxy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQbsy72IgI

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Someone call George Miller.

This is the most exciting news about the sequel trilogy in a long time. It's been very difficult to remain hyped for this trilogy knowing he'd close it out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Someone call George Miller.

This is the most exciting news about the sequel trilogy in a long time. It's been very difficult to remain hyped for this trilogy knowing he'd close it out.

Nah, George Miller should do the Obi-Wan movie.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Wow, I'd love to see an old pro like Paul Verhoeven, John McTiernan, or David Cronenberg.

I'd prefer Lexi Alexander, but it's gonna be Patrick Hughes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Matthew Vaughn could probably do it. He's got an eye for action, and X-Men First Class proved he could make something interesting of a studio franchise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cameron would own but he'd never do it .

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yeeesssssssssssss

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg maybe? Not saying those are my choices, just thinking what actually might be believable.

Either way, very glad Trevorrow is out.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

euphronius posted:

Wow hopefully Lucas will agree I'd love that

If you don't want to see the hilarious shitshow that would result from them somehow getting George Lucas to direct Episode IX, I don't know what to tell you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

If you don't want to see the hilarious shitshow that would result from them somehow getting George Lucas to direct Episode IX, I don't know what to tell you.

It won't happen because they already deviated from his story but a goon can dream .

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Get Villeueneve or Cuaron.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zoran posted:

Honestly I could see it. It would have to be coupled with a bunch of PR bullshit about how George has learned so much after doing the prequels, and he understands where fans feel he went wrong, etc... (which I'm not sure George would actually be willing to participate in), but beyond that I think it would send a message that Disney Still Cares about the core of Star Wars and stuff like that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

David Lynch.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

David Lynch.

https://youtu.be/EJQ4vCu-S0U

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zoran posted:

Kennedy said that Lucas still contacts her offering advice about the new movies.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I suppose I should clarify that I don't mean the film directed by George would be a shitshow; I'm talking about what would happen with the fans and the media.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Book of Henry must've been BAAAAAAAAAAAD

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You know what I think would be cool? George Lucas directing Episode 9.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My first thought when I heard the news was that they'd try to get Ava DuVernay. She's just finishing Wrinkle in Time for Disney, so she's a known quantity to them. Plus they need to build up some goodwill after the whole Miller/Lord fiasco, which this would definitely do.

Does she even want the job is the question.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're going to pick someone even less interesting than Trevorrrow. Just watch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Episode IX announced with a hard R rating after Disney announces Tarantino as director.

Half the script writing process will consist of QT thinking up interesting and new alien racial slurs.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

CelticPredator posted:

They're going to pick someone even less interesting than Trevorrrow. Just watch.

Or they get someone that internet message boards will squeal with delight about but still end up with middling mush of a film.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It's gonna be Joss Whedon

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh man... I kind of want Trevorrow back now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

he's gonna try to gently caress daisy ridley

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

OldSenileGuy posted:

My first thought when I heard the news was that they'd try to get Ava DuVernay. She's just finishing Wrinkle in Time for Disney, so she's a known quantity to them. Plus they need to build up some goodwill after the whole Miller/Lord fiasco, which this would definitely do.

Does she even want the job is the question.

I was thinking this too. I saw her at D23, and Disney seemed super high on her. This might conflict with her Wrinkle in Time post-production, because that hits in March and 9 comes out 14 months after that. They'll probably be wanting the 9 director to start by November.

Lucasfilm has seemed super happy with how Rian has done, I'm sure they'll back the dump truck up again and pay him double to stay on for 9.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

over my dead body

also we're probably getting Rian again

quote:

Put Rian Johnson atop the short list of directors who might replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow in Star Wars: Episode IX. Insiders said that nothing is done yet, but that prospect is certainly in the air right now. The Looper helmer fit seamlessly into the Lucasfilm machine, which is no small feat given the number of star directors who’ve been chewed up and spat out under the “creative difference” line in exiting Star Wars movies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There is no try

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/905210343378571265

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think it is funny that they trotted out the mutual decision line again after Han Solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

teagone posted:

You know what I think would be cool? George Lucas directing Episode 9.

Seeing how Disney scraped his story lines for eps 7-9 to do their own thing, don't think he'd do this.

• Locked thread