Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The weird thing is I'm not having any of those issues. Phone just updated yesterday.

Battery life has stayed the same between updates, so far. Things feel a little faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

FunOne posted:

It counts as an audible/vibration alert so it ducks your audio for no loving reason.

lol jfc

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone know why there's a bunch of weird apps that are listed as "not compatible" with my stock Verizon Note 5?

Hoplite and the Opinion Rewards survey apps seem like there shouldn't be an issue there.

:confused:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

Anyone know why there's a bunch of weird apps that are listed as "not compatible" with my stock Verizon Note 5?

Hoplite and the Opinion Rewards survey apps seem like there shouldn't be an issue there.

:confused:

You've been Samsunged

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

XIII posted:

You've been Samsunged

Fuuuuuuuck.

e: clearing cache and data of google play services fixed it :o

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 3, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Nice YouTube Kids icon, Google.

I don't even now which of their many changing styles it's supposed to match. It's not round, triangle, straight edged, nor flat colored.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I don't even now which of their many changing styles it's supposed to match.

I'm triggered hard.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

I don't even now which of their many changing styles it's supposed to match. It's not round, triangle, straight edged, nor flat colored.

lol, perfect in every way.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

:anime:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Uthor posted:

It's for toddlers. It's not supposed to match anything and it doesn't have to unless they have other toddler offerings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, it's not just for toddlers, and even if it was, so what?

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
This might not be the right thread for this, but I want to automate entry into my property by having a phone line that either answers calls or routes them to a recording that plays an audio tone to trigger the door to unlock. I have a condo that I airbnb and this is the easiest possible solution I've been able to devise to allow guests entry when I cannot answer my phone or meet them in person to let them in the building. Any ideas on apps or some other way to engineer this? I tried recording the tone directly to voicemail, but the noise cancellation on my phone is so good that it filters the tone out instantly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Kabong posted:

This might not be the right thread for this, but I want to automate entry into my property by having a phone line that either answers calls or routes them to a recording that plays an audio tone to trigger the door to unlock. I have a condo that I airbnb and this is the easiest possible solution I've been able to devise to allow guests entry when I cannot answer my phone or meet them in person to let them in the building. Any ideas on apps or some other way to engineer this? I tried recording the tone directly to voicemail, but the noise cancellation on my phone is so good that it filters the tone out instantly.

Well, if what you need is a sound that is guaranteed to be passed through by the phone, stick to the standard DTMF dialing tone for 0-9 * #
I don't know what system you're using to generate audio tones right now, but phone connections only have a narrow bandwidth of tones and sounds they can pass, so sticking to things the phone system would be required to carry is for the best.

But you should really just be using a normal keypad lock and numeric code that you can change up as needed. Your audio tone plan is insane.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fishmech posted:

Your audio tone plan is insane.

If someone can make a phone call that automatically unlocks a door, is it really even locked?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to phreak my way into a condo with a whistle like the ol' days

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I support the most convoluted solution, preferably multi-platform and utilizing a combination of standard mobile audio quality, HD voice, and VoIP. Definitely include haptic feedback for accessibility. By the end, I hope there are keypad tones, dog whistle pitches, and finally having an IRL use for that Google Tone chrome extension. Maybe grant date-limited control of a drone or RC vehicle to work an interior security mechanism or call box.

Definitely don't just have a friend or relative or coworker drop by to help!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fax a bar code (non-QR) to the airbnb people and require them to print it out, then they can scan it to get in.

But seriously, with how popular airbnb is certainly this is a solved problem at this point?

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
I get that it may not seem like the best or most practical solution, but I want to try for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I'm having trouble recording the tone to voicemail because of the noise cancellation. Is there a way to route the audio directly to the phone without having it go through the microphone or played out loud? Alternatively, and this would obviously be the solution in a perfect world, do you think I should buy a phone and two parrots, train one to answer the phone and then train both of them to squawk each of the two tones need to create the sound for the number 9? I'd have microphones permanently mounted to their throats to mitigate any external acoustics as best as possible.

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 5, 2017

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Use a smartlock with a plugin to a home automation system like smartthings so you can just do it remotely when they ring you or something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Fax a bar code (non-QR) to the airbnb people and require them to print it out, then they can scan it to get in.

But seriously, with how popular airbnb is certainly this is a solved problem at this point?

It actually is a solved problem and airbnb recommended this:

spiky butthole posted:

Use a smartlock with a plugin to a home automation system like smartthings so you can just do it remotely when they ring you or something.

... unfortunately that has its own issues as

the article posted:

Hundreds of Internet-connected locks became inoperable last week after a faulty software update caused them to experience a fatal system error, manufacturer LockState said.

Complicating the matter: the affected LockState model—the RemoteLock 6i—is included in an Airbnb partnership called Host Assist. That left many hosts unable to remotely control their locks.

The company is offering affected customers one of two options: (1) return the back portion of the lock to LockState so the firmware can be updated, with a turnaround time of about five to seven days, or (2) request a replacement interior lock, with a turnaround time of about 14 to 18 days. In the meantime, customers can use a physical key to unlock doors. (Like most hotel rooms, the doors automatically lock each time they're closed.)

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
I should clarify that this system is to get guests into the building using the call box when I cannot answer the phone, and I cannot get an access code. Getting them into the condo itself is taken care of. I want to try to fix the problem without having to ask for favors from friends or pay someone to meet them. That's an option, but only if this doesn't work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What is the audio you're actually trying to record? It's unlikely to be "noise cancellation", your voice mail is accessed over normal phone line quality connections and thus simply can't record any sounds under 300 hertz or over 3300 hertz, and usually you'll have some issues with sounds only approaching those frequencies from within the valid range.

In comparison you can usually expect any normal computer or phone recording directly from the microphone or a line-in to be able to capture roughly 20 hertz to 22000 hertz, or 20-24000 sometimes. That's basically like 7x-8x the range of frequencies that can be handled.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
It's the sound of the number nine on the keypad. It's odd because sometimes it captures the audio intermittently and other times not at all, so I assumed something was filtering it out.

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 6, 2017

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
Are there any ambiance / white noise apps that aren't garbage?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What QR code scanner so people use these days? I just tried Google Goggles and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Drifter posted:

I use this one, really like its featureset
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmsoft.whitenoise.full

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

The Drifter posted:

Chroma Doze is a simple classic that lets you customize your own white/pink/brown noise, and Lightning Bug (with bonus sound packs) works for ambient effects if you can tolerate its bleeding-edge 2010 iOS interface.

I haven't found a great binaural audio app, but haven't really tried it outside of curiosity.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 6, 2017

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mogomra posted:

What QR code scanner so people use these days? I just tried Google Goggles and it doesn't seem to do anything.
Barcode Scanner.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I use this one as well. They have an app with a store in it for additional sounds as well.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

The Drifter posted:

I use Noisli

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Are there any good white noise/ambiance apps with Chromecast support?

I've used Lightning Bug off and on since at least 2011.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GoodBee posted:

You could just cast the phones audio through the system-level casting in a pinch!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GoodBee posted:

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of 10 hour "white noise" videos on YouTube that you'd be able to cast.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just bought a Z2 Play and I'm really missing the Motorola Gallery app from my previous phone.

Any gallery apps you guys recommend? I dislike Google Photos and that People/Places/Things banner taking regular albums place.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Quickpic is still fine

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of 10 hour "white noise" videos on YouTube that you'd be able to cast.

Yeah, I've done that. I just thought it would be really cool to run something customizable through the Chromecast. I tried searching apps and didn't find anything at all.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GoodBee posted:

Yeah, I've done that. I just thought it would be really cool to run something customizable through the Chromecast. I tried searching apps and didn't find anything at all.

You could download the YouTube ones put them on your phone then use an app capable of casting to actually stream them. Then you have a custom list of ones you like

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Blue Train posted:

You could download the YouTube ones put them on your phone then use an app capable of casting to actually stream them. Then you have a custom list of ones you like

Can't I make a YouTube playlist and cast directly from the YouTube app? I haven't actually found any YouTube videos I care for though but I haven't looked too hard.

I really liked Lightning Bug's library of sounds.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

you should be able to yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

El Kabong posted:

I get that it may not seem like the best or most practical solution, but I want to try for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I'm having trouble recording the tone to voicemail because of the noise cancellation. Is there a way to route the audio directly to the phone without having it go through the microphone or played out loud? Alternatively, and this would obviously be the solution in a perfect world, do you think I should buy a phone and two parrots, train one to answer the phone and then train both of them to squawk each of the two tones need to create the sound for the number 9? I'd have microphones permanently mounted to their throats to mitigate any external acoustics as best as possible.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/voice/CISwXfkfc8s/kFjAj3a8GJcJ

Essentially, if you have a Google Voice number, you can automatically forward calls from the callbox number to a custom voicemail greeting, and the greeting can be the #9 dialtone. See the last post on that page to get a recording of the dialtone (or it is probably on Youtube, search for "DTMF 9"). I had to do this years ago when my apartment building had problems with its keycard entry.