Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

bbf2 posted:

Okay, hot take alert incoming.

Am I the only one who's kind of sick of the show version of Bronn?

Bronn has been with us since season 1, and in terms of characters with the most screentime and lines he's probably somewhere in the 14th-18th range.

And yet, somehow throughout all of that, he has mostly only ever displayed ONE personality trait: being sardonic.

No matter whatever else is happening around him, ShowBronn is always aloof, always sarcastic and mocking, always making wisecracks.

In mortal peril? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Receiving honors, rewards, and promotions that he could never have expected to receive in his entire lifetime? He's aloof and sarcastic, and makeing wisecracks. Being seduced by a beautiful woman and then finding out she's tricked you and has actually poisoned you? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Fighting a dragon in the face of certain death? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Reuiniting with a friend you haven't seen in years? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks.

Is Bronn ever happy? Sad? Contemplative? Solemn? We've seen pretty much every other character in the top 20 or so of screentime go through a gamut of emotions. We've seen them at their worst, at their best, etc. But throughout it all Bronn is always just dismissive and sarcastic no matter what the gently caress else is going on around him or what's happening to him.

The closest examples I can think of of Bronn showing any other emotion at all are A) the brief minute in season 2 during the Blackwater where he saves Sandor's life with an arrow. For those few seconds, he seems quiet and solemn, and B) during this most recent episode when he tells Tyrion that "I missed you as well," which seemed to indicate some sort of attachment/emotion for about two seconds before he was back to his sarcastic and aloof self and taking Podrick out for drinks.

The fact that D&D have given him magic plot armor because they don't want to deprive the audience of his quips and wisecracks certainly doesn't help things at all either.

Ok, you guys did a good job pointing out scenes and posting YouTube clips of other Bronn scenes where he is displaying different emotions. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong on that front.

Still all the stuff you pointed out was from seasons 1-4, (aka the Good Seasons) so I still maintain that season 5 through 7 Bronn has started to get on my nerves a little for the reasons specified above and that has clouded my judgement of good earlier Bronn stuff. But other characters have undergone far worse character assassinations so it's really nothing to complain about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Low Desert Punk posted:

I don't think that I've ever seen a Youtube theory channel that wasn't awful. Every single one sounds like a college freshman who just learned what a video essay is

To be fair, Preston Jacobs has some legitimately really great, in-depth, well researched theories about the books that uses a ton of supporting evidence. Some of his theories are ridiculous and have basically proven invalid at this point (I think he's the lone remaining R+L=J in the books denier) but he has several other theories that are quite inventive and at least he gives a poo poo and researches them well. No one else has ever given a better or more detailed description of what Doran Martell's plots could possibility be. And he has some very accurate criticisms about the show portrayal's inconsistencies that go beyond the obvious stuff like "people travel too fast!"

The problem is that he's obviously grown up in the Nostalgia Critic/Linkara era of YouTube criticism and feels compelled to bookend his criticisms with sketch comedy bullshit that isn't funny at all and yet he tries to maintain a certain sense of continuity for his joke characters. So his videos begin and end with intolerable bullshit where he tries to use images to create some sort of parody universe.

At least he has the decency to use pictures for his dumb cartoon sketches and doesn't actually show his face for them.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've gotten to the point that I'd rather read the books than see the show play out, because I'm confident the show's conclusion is going to be an unsatisfying wet fart. There's just no way with the speed they're going at that they'll get the nuance needed for good storytelling.

I hope we find out what the Night King's deal is (he hasn't even shown up in the books yet has he). I don't think the Hammer of the Waters has been mentioned yet but it would be badass if his goal was to get to the God's Eye and unleash a bunch of natural disasters to wipe the descendants of the Andals and First Men out. Having a beef with the Children seems to suggest his original programming has been broken, if it ever existed or was successful. There's some stuff Melisandre says about symbols in a vision that relates to Bran and Bloodraven being the champions of the Great Other that makes me think Bran being the Night King is going to be something they pull out of their butt next season. What I don't get is that if the current Night King is the same as the original dude from thousands of years back, and he came all the way down into the areas south of the wall, how did they manage to push the armies back North and keep them subdued long enough to build a giant fuckoff wall? I don't want to get into demolition expert territory here, but it seems like either something hasn't been fully elaborated on or GRRM missed some details, or things aren't exactly what they seem.

Alternatively, the books could be unbearably boring and lack all of the good world-building elements the show has had so far, and half of it is dedicated to subplots that don't contribute anything to the ultimate payoff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Night King as he exists in the show doesn't exist in the books. "Night's King" in the books is just a character in one of the many weird legends they tell in the north, he is as likely to show up in the action as the Rat Cook or Bael the Bard.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If GRRM ever writes more books and introduces a leader for the Others, he may very well call him the Great Other, which they can't use in the show. Find + replace.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

bbf2 posted:

Okay, hot take alert incoming.

Am I the only one who's kind of sick of the show version of Bronn?

Bronn has been with us since season 1, and in terms of characters with the most screentime and lines he's probably somewhere in the 14th-18th range.

And yet, somehow throughout all of that, he has mostly only ever displayed ONE personality trait: being sardonic.

No matter whatever else is happening around him, ShowBronn is always aloof, always sarcastic and mocking, always making wisecracks.

In mortal peril? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Receiving honors, rewards, and promotions that he could never have expected to receive in his entire lifetime? He's aloof and sarcastic, and makeing wisecracks. Being seduced by a beautiful woman and then finding out she's tricked you and has actually poisoned you? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Fighting a dragon in the face of certain death? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks. Reuiniting with a friend you haven't seen in years? He's aloof and sarcastic, and making wisecracks.

Is Bronn ever happy? Sad? Contemplative? Solemn? We've seen pretty much every other character in the top 20 or so of screentime go through a gamut of emotions. We've seen them at their worst, at their best, etc. But throughout it all Bronn is always just dismissive and sarcastic no matter what the gently caress else is going on around him or what's happening to him.

The closest examples I can think of of Bronn showing any other emotion at all are A) the brief minute in season 2 during the Blackwater where he saves Sandor's life with an arrow. For those few seconds, he seems quiet and solemn, and B) during this most recent episode when he tells Tyrion that "I missed you as well," which seemed to indicate some sort of attachment/emotion for about two seconds before he was back to his sarcastic and aloof self and taking Podrick out for drinks.

The fact that D&D have given him magic plot armor because they don't want to deprive the audience of his quips and wisecracks certainly doesn't help things at all either.

So... you're saying... Bronn is a Goon? Bronn is the mirror to which we aspire to be, I suppose. He sounds like half the posters here, any any rate. ;)

Professor Shark posted:

I'm glad they put Aidan Gillen out of his misery, that entire scene was definitely a bullet point on the napkin

Book Littlefinger has more interesting plans and motivations and I'm confident his death by Sansa will be much better

It'll be by Lady Coldheart, probably. Maybe. I don't know. The book would have to actually come out first to know.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Alternatively, the books could be unbearably boring and lack all of the good world-building elements the show has had so far, and half of it is dedicated to subplots that don't contribute anything to the ultimate payoff.

A good chunk of the remaining books will likely be about flags and food.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Is winds of winter out yet

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

I've gotten to the point that I'd rather read the books than see the show play out, because I'm confident the show's conclusion is going to be an unsatisfying wet fart. There's just no way with the speed they're going at that they'll get the nuance needed for good storytelling.

I hope we find out what the Night King's deal is (he hasn't even shown up in the books yet has he). I don't think the Hammer of the Waters has been mentioned yet but it would be badass if his goal was to get to the God's Eye and unleash a bunch of natural disasters to wipe the descendants of the Andals and First Men out. Having a beef with the Children seems to suggest his original programming has been broken, if it ever existed or was successful. There's some stuff Melisandre says about symbols in a vision that relates to Bran and Bloodraven being the champions of the Great Other that makes me think Bran being the Night King is going to be something they pull out of their butt next season. What I don't get is that if the current Night King is the same as the original dude from thousands of years back, and he came all the way down into the areas south of the wall, how did they manage to push the armies back North and keep them subdued long enough to build a giant fuckoff wall? I don't want to get into demolition expert territory here, but it seems like either something hasn't been fully elaborated on or GRRM missed some details, or things aren't exactly what they seem.

First Men and Children alliance probably signed a treaty with the Others and they retreated north after that. If they really had been defeated so decisively as in the legends, the alliance would have eradicated them completely, instead of giving them a huge chunk of the the north and spending all the resources to build the wall. The wall was either build by Children magic, or, which is more likely, build by the Others with their own ice magic (they can freeze poo poo at will and have tireless zombie workers) as part of the treaty. It's a demarcation line of territories.

Also, I don't think there is anything else about the White Walkers coming in the show. They bad, they pissed off, they wanna kill everyone. Fin.

hanales posted:

Is winds of winter out yet

not right now, no. ask again tomorrow

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the leaks are real tho so that's kinda like a dream of spring coming out, in that you know how the story ends

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
If the spoilers are true (I don't think so) I hope HBO airs the first trailer for Confederate right after the episode in which people throw poo poo at Emilia Clarke's dead body. I want to see the internet burn.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The spoilers are true and the throwing poo poo at kelly c corpse thing is what made Euron's actor say he'd end up despised by people more than Jack Gleeson :eng101:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

crazy cloud posted:

The spoilers are true and the throwing poo poo at kelly c corpse thing is what made Euron's actor say he'd end up despised by people more than Jack Gleeson :eng101:

Yup. I can see that being the case

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

crazy cloud posted:

the leaks are real tho so that's kinda like a dream of spring coming out, in that you know how the story ends

The leaks are real but it's not the same story short of some very general bullet points along the lines of "Jon and Dany don't get to the promised land, Arya fucks off after not being too important, Bran reconnects restores balance to the force, Sansa and Gendry finally fulfill Roberts wish to join house stark and house baratheon".

those are my predictions and I will fight anyone who says otherwise!!!! (not really goons, relax, I'm merely japing).

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I have it on expert youtube authority that any and all current leaks are 100% bullshit

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

First Men and Children alliance probably signed a treaty with the Others and they retreated north after that. If they really had been defeated so decisively as in the legends, the alliance would have eradicated them completely, instead of giving them a huge chunk of the the north and spending all the resources to build the wall. The wall was either build by Children magic, or, which is more likely, build by the Others with their own ice magic (they can freeze poo poo at will and have tireless zombie workers) as part of the treaty. It's a demarcation line of territories.

Also, I don't think there is anything else about the White Walkers coming in the show. They bad, they pissed off, they wanna kill everyone. Fin.

not right now, no. ask again tomorrow

Why would the Others build a wall with magic bullshit that means they can't pass it while humans (and presumably Children, based on the ones hanging with Bloodraven) can freely go over, through and around it?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WrightOfWay posted:

Why would the Others build a wall with magic bullshit that means they can't pass it while humans (and presumably Children, based on the ones hanging with Bloodraven) can freely go over, through and around it?

Because Bondal Srump made a great deal with them.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I;m thinking about thos Thrones

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Low Desert Punk posted:

I;m thinking about thos Thrones

Dougie??

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I don't really expect us to ever learn what the Wall is for and why it's there because so much of the history that makes the books interesting isn't mentioned in the show at all.
When people talk about the programme nobody ever seems to talk about who the Others are and why the wall was built.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lol :golfclap:

If the Night King does speak I hope all he says is "HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

e: as i said in the other thread though yeah there isn't gonna be an "explanation" for the WWs. This isn't The Iron Dragon's Daughter.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Viserion give two rides

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think I cracked the code. The Night King is Judy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

The Night King as he exists in the show doesn't exist in the books. "Night's King" in the books is just a character in one of the many weird legends they tell in the north, he is as likely to show up in the action as the Rat Cook or Bael the Bard.

Kinda, the Others are also a weird legend they tell in the North and they turn out to be real, and the Night's King probably wed one of the Others and is responsible for the weird gap in the Watch's history around the 13th/14th commander (which they brought up in the show) so I think it's reasonable to believe some version of him will lead the Others or have sired their leader or something in the books too

Who knows though, the show is off the map at this point and the books prolly won't be finished before Yorge dies

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i wonder if the 13th commander thing was what we saw in bran's vision. He didn't fall for an other, he fell for a child of the forest, and they roped him and gave him an obsidian enema.

over the years the legend forms

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Children really are the worst. Losing a fight to humans so they create undead ice monsters, lose control of the ice monsters, then turn to humans to help stop the ice monsters. loving assholes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think it's pretty cool. There's a tendency for fantasy writers to make other races paragons of some kind of human virtue. To just have the children of the forest be magical neolithic assholes is kind of neat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The White Walkers' wight-raising is kinda perfect if you're being short-sighted. Numbers are the one big advantage humans had over the Children.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah and plus y'know metal weapons, horses and general physical size and strength.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They should have not had the fairies stabbing the guy scene if the walkers are just going to be mindless bad guys. It hints at a backstory that will never be explained at all so why tease like that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

They should have not had the fairies stabbing the guy scene if the walkers are just going to be mindless bad guys. It hints at a backstory that will never be explained at all so why tease like that.

These morons are operating season to season. Why bother casting and announcing Siddig just to have him sit and pout for one season before getting shanked? The answer is D&D are morons.

By the time they got to season 5 they wanted this to be over, because the show they built had an insane production process that was mostly their own fault

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

basic hitler posted:

These morons are operating season to season. Why bother casting and announcing Siddig just to have him sit and pout for one season before getting shanked? The answer is D&D are morons.

By the time they got to season 5 they wanted this to be over, because the show they built had an insane production process that was mostly their own fault

Example 1 : Using a museum to shoot the Dorne scenes which limits where they can shoot and how (fights and time of day etc)

Example 2 : Using 70 or so live horses for a battle seriously that's like the dumbest thing if you don't want it to take forever

edit: I seriously hate what they did to Arya and Sansa like gently caress they're so unlikable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mr LC is a horse person and the horse person world went absolutely batshit with excitement and glee at that season 6 battle scene. Last show it was the only topic of conversation, and a shitload of rich people went out and bought boxed sets. It more than likely paid for itself in the end. :) Of all the things to save time and money on, the battle scenes should not be one of them imo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

SirKibbles posted:

Example 1 : Using a museum to shoot the Dorne scenes which limits where they can shoot and how (fights and time of day etc)

This reminded me how terrible the whole Myrcella coup was.

It almost felt like the whole thing was recorded at the last minute and they didn't even had enough time to apply a dark filter in post prod to make it look as if it was night.

Both parties took enough caution to cover their faces which would be completely pointless in broad daylight while also limiting your peripheric view to escape the guards chasing you cause you happened to be dressed as a lemon cake in the middle of a garden.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

basic hitler posted:

i think it's pretty cool. There's a tendency for fantasy writers to make other races paragons of some kind of human virtue. To just have the children of the forest be magical neolithic assholes is kind of neat.

The children have been sort of wasted in the show though. If I were Bran I'd have at least asked them a few questions when he was sharing the cave with them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

learnincurve posted:

Mr LC is a horse person and the horse person world went absolutely batshit with excitement and glee at that season 6 battle scene. Last show it was the only topic of conversation, and a shitload of rich people went out and bought boxed sets. It more than likely paid for itself in the end. :) Of all the things to save time and money on, the battle scenes should not be one of them imo.

This was interesting and kind of surprising and informative to me. I had never really thought about "horse people" being a thing and what that culture might be like but it shouldn't really be surprising. I'm a "watch person" and that's also definitely a thing that people get super into. And if there was a scene in a show that featured 60 watches from the likes of Phillip Dufour, Laurent Ferrier, Vianny Halter, etc it'd be a big stupid event in the watch community too.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SirKibbles posted:

Is this real? They couldn't find anywhere in the world to stand in for Dorne but a museum?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Peanut President posted:

Is this real? They couldn't find anywhere in the world to stand in for Dorne but a museum?

Yeah, they filmed in a famous historical site. It did look really cool at least.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did Reddit ever piece together the ending from those pages that someone found in a library and posted, only with black bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Professor Shark posted:

Did Reddit ever piece together the ending from those pages that someone found in a library and posted, only with black bars?

No the black bars were placed physically on the paper by GURM or his editors when they submitted the manuscripts to the Cushing library, moreover, after these were discovered and posted to Reddit GURM requested that the manuscripts will be removed from the display and indeed they were.

• Locked thread