Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ExplodingSims posted:

No dice on that front it would seem. According to him he can't get emails, so...hmmm.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Wait, what? He was on wifi earlier today. Does he just mean in general / right now he can't get emails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes I assume he has I'd as they let him in the hotel

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, my bad, I asked if he could get emails on his phone and he said no.

Then he said yes, once he's on Wifi. There was a bit of a misunderstanding

So the E-gift card idea is possible now. I think that'd be the best option here.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Is there anyone on this thread who lives in Salt Lake City?

:siren: I cannot get anybody on the phone at the SLC Greyhound station and if somebody can actually physically go there I will give you the details of the box to talk to Greyhound about in person. If the box was offloaded and not transferred, it will be there. If it just wasn't offloaded in SLC, god only knows where it is. :siren:

Additional twist: I leave for the UK tomorrow afternoon and Greyhound has my phone number on the lost baggage tracker. They'll update it if I call in, but is there a volunteer to be the contact for the station that finds the box? PM me if you're able.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Check your PMs, I live in SLC. You can provide Greyhound with my phone number if you need to as the new contact info. It just needs to get to North Platte, right?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 6, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Check your PMs, I live in SLC. You can provide Greyhound with my phone number if you need to as the new contact info. It just needs to get to North Platte, right?

Correct, thanks. Some minor details to work out like where exactly, since North Platte doesn't have a station, Dave says they dropped him at the Taco Bell.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, the North Platte station is just a gas station/Taco Bell. I'm not sure where they'd keep any luggage if it's dropped off there.

In the meantime I'd tell day to stay near the stop and check in frequently. See when the next bus from Denver is due in.
Most likely what happened was that since it was oversized it was put on a second bus or something, and is running slightly behind him.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This thread is, once again, a highlight in an otherwise lovely couple of weeks. I'm keen to pitch in for Walmart supplies or a razor scooter if the bike never shows up

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
He is staying at the Knights Inn tonight if that has any relevance to plans

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, the North Platte station is just a gas station/Taco Bell. I'm not sure where they'd keep any luggage if it's dropped off there.

In the meantime I'd tell day to stay near the stop and check in frequently. See when the next bus from Denver is due in.
Most likely what happened was that since it was oversized it was put on a second bus or something, and is running slightly behind him.

I hope that's true. The lost baggage folks have no idea where it is though, and I feel like if that were the case they would know.

A thing that might be a real problem is that Dave's phone number is attached to the package (:quagmire:). Mine is attached to the baggage tracer request. I don't think that Greyhound is super-organized though so god only knows who knows what.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 6, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

everdave posted:

He is staying at the Knights Inn tonight if that has any relevance to plans

He's going to be there until the bike arrives.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

He's going to be there until the bike arrives.

This feels like a sweet as heck Christmas movie or something

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This is the best SA story ever and it ain't even done

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The bus was on time, clean, and had working wifi? Oh yeah the luggage. . . Still Greyhound. I fear we might be sending Dick to his doom especially if the Trukk doesn't run by winter. Thread title delivers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Anyone know why Dave's phone didn't start working after someone put funds on it? Was it just not enough for the plan he was on?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Anyone know why Dave's phone didn't start working after someone put funds on it? Was it just not enough for the plan he was on?

No coverage in the area, is what he told me. It's a Metro PCS phone, I bet there are no towers nearby that are compatible.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Initially, not quite enough funds added because it was a guess. The phone is working now when he has coverage.

I dunno what provider he had before, but on the last trip he had good service at the truck site. I suppose that should be figured out before he leaves the locality of a Wal-Mart.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Metro's site shows Valentine has good coverage, while the rest of the state is "partner" when it even has coverage. :wtc: Metro doesn't generally allow roaming onto other carriers, so I don't know why they even bother showing "partner" (which is likely either AT&T or a small regional carrier).

HandlingByJebus posted:

No coverage in the area, is what he told me. It's a Metro PCS phone, I bet there are no towers nearby that are compatible.

Metro shut down their CDMA network years ago - they're essentially a fully-owned T-Mobile MVNO now. AFAIK, only direct post-paid T-Mobile customers can roam onto AT&T (no prepaid, and no Metro, even though T-Mobile fully owns Metro), and data is severely deprioritized vs direct T-Mobile customers when you're in a congested area (big issue in my area, I suspect not so much in Valentine). Any GSM phone will work with them, but you're SOL if you're not in an area with solid T-Mobile service.

I want to say he may have been on Cricket last time, which is owned by AT&T (same deal with them, you generally can't roam onto other carriers when on Cricket, but you can use any AT&T tower) - they cover rural areas a lot better than T-Mobile.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else notice the closer i get to florida, the more violently the planet reacts

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Phone situation previously on verizon using dannos donated phone, currently on carrier locker metro pcs galaxy j3 prime

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
MetroPCS service is notoriously spotty once you get out of urban areas, sometimes you can pick up cellular service for other niche carriers like Cricket.

I worked for them as a CSR for awhile many years back, people ALWAYS got angry when their phone didn't work once they stepped outside the city...

Godspeed Dick.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just heard from him he said he got a lot of rest and took many showers at the hotel last night. Anyone who gets an update on bike/luggage/travel let us know

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

:siren: gently caress Greyhound all day, every day :siren:

Anygoon have friends or family who work there? We need somebody who knows the system to advise us.

I finally got SLC baggage on the phone. I almost shouldn't have bothered.

Greyhound won't deliver the box to North Platte, if they find it they're quick to add, because there's no station there. Closest station is Ogallala, NE and I've updated the tracer to have it sent there when/if located. That's ~50mi away. I leave the country in 5.5 hours. This is hosed and nobody I've spoken with at Greyhound seems to care. Dave doesn't even have proper footwear on him. I feel like a complete moron for telling Dave to trust Greyhound with this. :(

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Nebraska is poo poo for cell reception outside of small rural carriers and sometimes Verizon. In my experience on T-Mobile I pretty much lost coverage once I hit the border from Kansas and didn't get it back until I was on the outskirts of Lincoln other than a few random patches of 2/3G a few weeks ago when I went up to watch the eclipse. It was even worse a few years ago.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well we need to come up with a plan b. I covered a hotel room last night, I wish I could just put him up indefinitely but I can't. I could probably justify another night if anyone wanted to chip in $30-40

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There is a bike shop in n Platte, right? Do they have cheap used bikes? Can someone buy him one?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thats a loving $1300 bike and my Vansen leather this isnt a welp i guess its gone situation.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im heading to Okalala

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
e: well, n/m then.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I didn't mean to imply you accept the bike is gone, just accept that greyhound will get it for you whenever they feel like it and in the meantime try to obtain you cheap reliable transportation.

But hell, hitchhiking probably could work too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ. loving incompetent non-caring idiots, you can't depend on anyone to do their jobs anymore.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

Im heading to Okalala

Make sure you have all of the ticket stubs and everything. I agree, gently caress "welp it's gone".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly the odds of someone just taking that bike are pretty high, I wouldn't be surprised if a loving employee took it home.

And considering how empty the bus was he could have had it right next to him in the isle or something, what a bunch of bullshit.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I'm the guy in the dark t-shirt and hat. A good well digging shovel can be had for $30, I'm in for that much.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
No guarantees Twitter will be more successful than calling, but it's worth a shot for someone who has the confirmation numbers and ticket info: https://twitter.com/GHoundBusHelp

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Departing north platte on foot via hwy 30 west to ogalala

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

Departing north platte on foot via hwy 30 west to ogalala

drat man is there not a trucker or something can give you a lift?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Fashionably Great posted:

No guarantees Twitter will be more successful than calling, but it's worth a shot for someone who has the confirmation numbers and ticket info: https://twitter.com/GHoundBusHelp

I would recommend this, I've always gotten really quick service by just blowing the poo poo outta a business's twitter and fb profiles. Leave a couple negative posts and their teams usually get right on it. A few publicly placed 'greyhound stole my bike' posts could go a long way...

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I would recommend this, I've always gotten really quick service by just blowing the poo poo outta a business's twitter and fb profiles. Leave a couple negative posts and their teams usually get right on it. A few publicly placed 'greyhound stole my bike' posts could go a long way...

My current understanding is that greyhound doesn't give a poo poo and may also not even be a business. It's hypothesised it's a primary new type of life feeding on smelly people and luggage. And diesel

But I like the idea. I don't use twitter but i'll definitely dig up my ancient lurking account and loudly yell what you need me to yell if it helps. #RodeBusLostBike #Justice4Dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The right answer. This worked for me last year when Lufthansa landed my mother at an airport 300 miles away from my city at 11pm, without her luggage, and handed her a greyhound-esque bus ticket and wished her luck. Blasted them on facebook and suddenly she had her hotel stay and some replacement clothing comped, and a train ticket was produced. gently caress lovely, uncaring companies, threaten them because it's the only thing they respond to.

• Locked thread