Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Helpimscared posted:

Why should I try this MMO? Why would I want to play it over going back to WoW?

Catgirl dress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Rastan Beeza posted:

I never played WoW, but I remember reading a few things about corruption being a reoccuring thing, Ie Deathwing and Nightmare Ysera, I assume it happens often. And how does WoW's storyline(s) compare to FFXIV's?

WoW's story is largely based around zone-specific stories, some of which are pretty good (Spires of Arak, Suramar), some of which are really bad, and most of which are kinda in the middle. The main story is pretty much universally garbage throughout, except maybe in the parts of MoP that focused on Pandaria specific stuff like the Thunder King (which is ironic, considering the initial reaction to the expansion).

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 6, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Bolow posted:

You even see other groups of adventurers bitching about lovely tanks and bad heals.

This gets dark at one point too (hard Tam Tara). It's pretty great.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

funkymonks posted:

Catgirl dress up.

It's incredible how the equivalent of low tier wow heroic dungeon loot, and an armor set I got for free for just finish my class quest looks better than like 99% of the armor sets in WoW :psyduck:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I mean, they are just so goddamn adorable.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FFXIV armor being actual models instead of painted-on textures goes a long way. Blizzard's improved a lot over the years but it's hard to ignore that the game's based on an engine from 2004.

This game also has a lot of other little touches that I'm amazed other MMOs don't bother with, like helmets/hats actually working properly with longer hair. :psyduck:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bolow posted:

It's incredible how the equivalent of low tier wow heroic dungeon loot, and an armor set I got for free for just finish my class quest looks better than like 99% of the armor sets in WoW :psyduck:

Everything made before Yoshida took over (thus the majority of the 2-49 gear and a bit of the 50 gear) looks downright horrendous though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Everything made before Yoshida took over (thus the majority of the 2-49 gear and a bit of the 50 gear) looks downright horrendous though
I love my mittens, sorry

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

To elaborate on thaumaturge/black mage: you alternate between astral phase, where you use extremely high damage spells that burn through your mana, and umbral phase, where your spells are low-damage but you regenerate all your mana in like 6 seconds. Being a good black mage relies on knowing the timings of fights because you can't cast while moving, though you do get some abilities to make spells instant-cast or to move quickly. It has really flashy spell effects and has some of the most powerful abilities in the game (Fire 4, Flare, Foul :allears:). It's also the current king of AoE DPS.

Downsides: The leveling experience is rough until you get Fire 3/Blizzard 3 in the mid 30s, which smoothes out your rotation a lot. If you like being able to move around, you're not going to like it at all.

Also if you're familiar with other FF games/JRPGs in general where elemental resistances are a thing... ignore that. You can cast fire spells on a fire elemental just fine.

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 6, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Helpimscared posted:

Why should I try this MMO? Why would I want to play it over going back to WoW?

1) Endgame experience is less grindy, but there's still plenty to do (especially if you go back and do old raids - lots of mechanically and aesthetically interesting components).
2) Leveling experience is fun for an MMO. Easy at first, ramps up around 35. Lots of options (quests, dungeons, randomized dungeons, zone events, weekly objectives, etc.).
3) You can level every class (including crafters and gatherers) on one character.
4) More modern graphics engine. Good lighting and superior animations. Fewer races, but greater customization and arguably better outfits.
5) A far more coherent story with clear, consistent plot progression and decent sidequests (mostly starting in Heavensward/Hildebrand/etc.). Like the gameplay it starts out basic but ramps up around 35. Less about EPIC and CORRUPTION, more about deep blue hero poo poo with moments of pathos. It's a Final Fantasy story about as much as any of the single player games in the series.
6) Solid system design with regular QoL improvements. They've come a long way and continue to do so.
7) A 2.5s base GCD means combat's more about timing and choosing the correct ability rather than button mashing.
8) Final Fantasy nostalgia everywhere, if you're into that. More on the way (next major patch will have Ivalice/FFTactics stuff).
9) Better writing. More jokes. English localization is ace.
10) Great soundtrack!
11) Goon presence is generally helpful & positive. Not sure how it is in WoW. Community tends to be more welcoming of newer players, really.
12) Don't need addons. Base UI is powerful and customizable.
13) Full gamepad support. Can switch between KB/M and gamepad with a few buttons. The project lead plays on a gamepad, so it gets enough attention.
14) Downtime is less frequent. Sometimes it's out for an entire day, but that's usually only for expansion launches or major patches.
15) Housing! Can get expensive and availability is limited, but if nothing else you can use the goon guild houses.
16) Holiday events are sensible and well documented. Far fewer bugs with them than in WoW. Some cross promotional stuff with other SquareEnix games, too.
17) Far fewer bugs in general. It's rare to see a gamestopper.

Overall I'd say it definitely takes inspiration from other MMOs (project lead is a longtime MMO player), but it's carved out its own niche. It's got some things to improve (a better glamour/transmog system would help with inventory management a lot, and while the PvP's gotten better, it's not an area of focus if that's important to you), but the dev team's transparent. They have regular check-ins and livestreams every couple months.

I liked Legion well enough but was done with it in a month. Conversely, outside of occasional breaks, I've played FFXIV weekly for 4 years. It has a specific charm and consistency that WoW often lacks. Expansions feel like continuations of the previous story, rather than opportunities to change literally everything.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd say the three things that WoW has over FFXIV are:
  • Specific UI/gameplay customization options. I prefer to condense as much information as possible into as small a space as possible - preferably close to the middle of my screen - which is easy to do in WoW and extremely challenging in FFXIV. The lack of click casting is a pain in the rear, especially for healers, since tracking DoT timers when you're constantly flipping between targets is an issue.
  • Client responsiveness. WoW still has some of the best responsiveness of any online game (certainly any online RPG) that I've ever played. Actions happen instantly when you press them, debuffs/buffs appear instantly, mechanics that involve running over something trigger as soon as you touch them and not half a second after, etc.
  • The Mythic+ system. This was such an incredibly good addition to the game, since it allowed for challenging small group content that required almost no additional asset creation and which required little in the way of upkeep aside from increasing the ilvls of drops as the expansion went on. This is something that FFXIV sorely lacks: Expert dungeons are a cakewalk, and PotD is challenging at higher levels but fairly static and lacks equipment rewards.
Out of all of these, #1 and #3 are the biggest for me. If they added in just a little more UI customization and created a halfway decent Mythic+ knockoff, I don't think I'd ever look back.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So my Castrum queue finally popped, and basically everything was cleared by the time I finished each cutscene so I spent almost the entire time catching up to the group

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Going back a few pages, I have to agree that the playerbase is very chill and forgiving, the worst I get is people being impatient in a passive aggresive way occasionally.

I tanked that lv35 ruins and went in a circle confused for a minute and accidently activated an extra mob and the most I got for loving up was a "gonna need to do an extra mob now," and I still got a player recommendation.

In fact, I saw a player about to die fighting some quest monsters and helped him out, except he got ganked by a surprise FATE popping up so I revived him. And met up again when we were doing the same sidequest and helped each other out killing the other's monsters. Later on Behemoth popped up and my FC leader invited me to party despite being only 43, and that player I revved still happened to be there and joined in our party and I got behemoth horns despite bonking it with my fists twice and running away (and dying in the first half when some guy pulled him and killed like a quarter of everyone there in the first fate). Afterwards he ended up befriending me and my FC leader gave me a free transport to Revanent's Toll to use the horns. Also got another friend there who attended the wedding I went to the day before and said I could ask them to party and hoped I was having a good time playing the game.

So in my experience everyone is pretty great in Brynhildr. :unsmith:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bolow posted:

So my Castrum queue finally popped, and basically everything was cleared by the time I finished each cutscene so I spent almost the entire time catching up to the group

:siren: ONLY RUN CASTRUM MERIDIANUM AND PRATORIUM WITH GOONS :siren:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've been secretly hoping that one of their one dungeon patch features will be a wholesale ripoff of mythic+ that just reuses old content, running old ARR dungeons scaled up to 70 with difficulty modifiers.

Bolow posted:

Told ya. You have another one coming up with even more cutscenes in Praetorium, so if you want to see both the cutscenes and the fights you should definitely get a group together. Are you on Excalibur?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I really hope we don't get Mythic+, or if it happens that it's a lot less elitist and grindy. It was a major reason I stopped playing after Legion launch and never returned.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

homeless snail posted:

I've been secretly hoping that one of their one dungeon patch features will be a wholesale ripoff of mythic+ that just reuses old content, running old ARR dungeons scaled up to 70 with difficulty modifiers.

Told ya. You have another one coming up with even more cutscenes in Praetorium, so if you want to see both the cutscenes and the fights you should definitely get a group together. Are you on Excalibur?

Furthermore, I've run goons though both and you don't need a group. Just unsync it and it allows the person to at least see the bosses momentarily.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah you're gonna fit in w/this playerbase just fine

Yay?

Countblanc posted:

I really don't agree with the common wisdom of DPS your first job. Queue times for dungeons are much longer (in a game where you must do them to advance the game) and time to kill while solo-leveling isn't really that different until later levels. I get that tanking and healing have a sort of "you must be This Good to play" feeling behind them but it's seriously hogwash and if you've ever played a video game before it won't be a problem if you actually read your abilities when you get them.

Of course, if you DON'T want to play one of those, don't, but don't avoid them out of fear or whatever. If Warrior or Scholar seems cool play it - you'll always do better playing something you think is cool and interesting more than playing what you think looks easiest unless the skill gap is HUUUUGE (and it isn't in this game).

Yeah, I've been playing video games since I was 4, but I've never been into online games. I'll check some videos of Dragoon and Summoner because those are the coolest sounding ones.

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'd second the suggestion that among the DPS and at low levels, it mostly comes down to the aesthetics, so if any of them really jump out at you go with that.

PUG - punchmans (becomes a Monk at 30)
LNC - pokemans (becomes Dragoon)
ROG (not technically available til you have 1 class at 10, but that goes pretty fast) - stabmans (becomes Ninja)
ARC - shootmans (becomes Bard)
THM - magicmans (becomes Black Mage)
ACN - petmans (is unique because it becomes both Summoner [DPS] and Scholar [Healer])

Having done at least the first 15 levels of each in the past month or two, my thoughts:

Archer (ARC) absolutely feels the best at low levels - you have plenty of things to do but very little you can screw up, and you get your AoE (area of effect, i.e., group damage) super-early. Pugilist (PUG) was my first-pick because I love Monks wherever they appear, but the martial-arts/stances thing doesn't really feel get interesting until at least level 30 or so, and your ability to AoE is anemic for a long time. Rogue didn't feel right to me until it become Ninja @ 30. Lancer (LNC) is dirt simple. Thaumaturge (THM) feels incomplete until some of it's post-30 spells & abilities, but the central gimmick of yo-yoing your mana is fun and holy poo poo the spell effects are maybe the most satisfying in any MMO I've played. Arcanist (ACN) gets a cute little summonable dog-fox-spirit buddy - I can't decide if it would be an easy pick for a first-timer or if it would just add an extra layer of poo poo to worry about, but it does make playing solo much less painful.

Hope that helps. :shobon:

Also, seconding this - "it looks cool+fun" trumps everything else. And god knows we could use more Tanks & Healers (who actually read their ability functions >_< ).

Cool I like petmans and pokemans, but punchmans sounds interesting and Yang was pretty cool I guess

Bolow posted:

That, I want that holy poo poo

isk
Oct 3, 2007

DanZX posted:

It's pretty easy to get. There's a ridiculous number of cool looking weapons and armor sets in this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fortunately they said in a recent interview that they're working on something for the CM/Prae problem, for either 4.1 or 4.2. My bet is they'll just become solo instances.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DanZX posted:

The problem in FF14 is not finding good looking armor, it's choosing which set of good looking armor to wear.

Ever wanted to dress up like a Metal Gear Rising character in your fantasy MMO?

FF14 is there for you.

(Not depicted is that the spear generates a magical energy dragon when you pull it out to hit things with it)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

That same interview also confirmed that Guts is stronger than both Zenos and the lvl 70 WoL.

I am okay with this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Fortunately they said in a recent interview that they're working on something for the CM/Prae problem, for either 4.1 or 4.2. My bet is they'll just become solo instances.

The best solution would be to make then 4-man dungeons followed by an ultima trial but that would be a ton of effort. It would be a huge letdown to make the capstone of ARR be a single player instance but it would be a lot less work. I suspect they have metrics to tell them exactly how many people say "I beat it I'm done" after ultima weapon and thus whether they need something good to retain people

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'd second the suggestion that among the DPS and at low levels, it mostly comes down to the aesthetics, so if any of them really jump out at you go with that.

PUG - punchmans (becomes a Monk at 30)
LNC - pokemans (becomes Dragoon)
ROG (not technically available til you have 1 class at 10, but that goes pretty fast) - stabmans (becomes Ninja)
ARC - shootmans (becomes Bard)
THM - magicmans (becomes Black Mage)
ACN - petmans (is unique because it becomes both Summoner [DPS] and Scholar [Healer])

Having done at least the first 15 levels of each in the past month or two, my thoughts:

Archer (ARC) absolutely feels the best at low levels - you have plenty of things to do but very little you can screw up, and you get your AoE (area of effect, i.e., group damage) super-early. Pugilist (PUG) was my first-pick because I love Monks wherever they appear, but the martial-arts/stances thing doesn't really feel get interesting until at least level 30 or so, and your ability to AoE is anemic for a long time. Rogue didn't feel right to me until it become Ninja @ 30. Lancer (LNC) is dirt simple. Thaumaturge (THM) feels incomplete until some of it's post-30 spells & abilities, but the central gimmick of yo-yoing your mana is fun and holy poo poo the spell effects are maybe the most satisfying in any MMO I've played. Arcanist (ACN) gets a cute little summonable dog-fox-spirit buddy - I can't decide if it would be an easy pick for a first-timer or if it would just add an extra layer of poo poo to worry about, but it does make playing solo much less painful.

Hope that helps. :shobon:

Also, seconding this - "it looks cool+fun" trumps everything else. And god knows we could use more Tanks & Healers (who actually read their ability functions >_< ).

pugilist is PGL

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Sargantas, and too late for that :v:

I'll requeue for it later this week to actually see the fight

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

homeless snail posted:

As long as they don't use something like that as an excuse to not make new HM dungeons, I'd be down.

Brainamp posted:

That same interview also confirmed that Guts is stronger than both Zenos and the lvl 70 WoL.

I am okay with this.

Neither Zenos or WoL is remotely angry enough to match Guts.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A hot tip for new players that I discovered while I play through the MSQ is that Alphinaud's VA is a million times less annoying if you switch the audio language to French.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Seedseer sounds like she was freshly lobotimized

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bolow posted:

She's usually drunk on Mun-tuy brew. This is canon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bolow posted:

This does not improve.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

DanZX posted:

Yeah, I've been playing video games since I was 4, but I've never been into online games. I'll check some videos of Dragoon and Summoner because those are the coolest sounding ones.

The first 30 levels or so of this game act like you've never played an MMO before, so you shouldn't worry about missing out or misunderstanding things. There's even a brief run of tutorial quests on group content before your first dungeon, which gives some decent rewards that are decent-looking, tbh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm really happy I decided to start logging my raids in FFLogs about a month ago when my static finally got a full, consistent and reliable 8-man group. It's been super rewarding watching everyone's numbers and performance improve every single week.

We've gone from roughly 30-50th percentile to 70th-90th percentile in four raid lockouts. Now just to clear Neo Exdeath...

Griz
May 21, 2001

haven't had one of these for a while

also I changed my healer outfit for the first time in a year so here's another glamour shot for the new guy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

The thing that really hooked me on FF14's story at the start is that you're not some chosen one or whatever. You're just some random rear end in a top hat among thousands of other random assholes. In fact there's so many assholes around they had to make a guild to keep track of them all so they don't wreak havoc everywhere and can be controlled to an extent. You even see other groups of adventurers bitching about lovely tanks and bad heals.

I would like to take this moment to say this: Take a moment now and then to explore. To eavesdrop in on the occasional NPC conversation. To talk to the quest NPCs, even the ones that don't have the ! over their head. To facepalm at the quest and FATE names. The game has an incredibly rich world that has been created in the past four years since relaunch, just waiting to be found.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would like to take this moment to say this: Take a moment now and then to explore. To eavesdrop in on the occasional NPC conversation. To talk to the quest NPCs, even the ones that don't have the ! over their head. To facepalm at the quest and FATE names. The game has an incredibly rich world that has been created in the past four years since relaunch, just waiting to be found.

There is a literal goldmine of dialogue here. There's a ton of individual little stories being told in the random NPC's that stand around and the few that say something (if you wonder why the game has a Sexual Content advisory, pay attention to what the non combat NPC's say in Sastasha and what the pirates say in Limsa Lominsa.)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

There is a literal goldmine of dialogue here. There's a ton of individual little stories being told in the random NPC's that stand around and the few that say something (if you wonder why the game has a Sexual Content advisory, pay attention to what the non combat NPC's say in Sastasha and what the pirates say in Limsa Lominsa.)

At one point I think they removed the drunken potato that literally tries to solicit you (if you're a lady) right before his buddy tells him to knock it off. Used to be hiding in Camp Drybone but doesn't seem to be there any more.

And then there's Hunberct Longhanft.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I mean I guess that is uh...lovingly crafted?

Where is the ring?

Bolow posted:

Things like this is why I solo'd both the dungeons as a 70 rdm for my brothers so they can actually watch the cutscenes.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

:siren: ONLY RUN CASTRUM MERIDIANUM AND PRATORIUM WITH GOONS :siren:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This. If nothing else this game has fantastic world building. Talk to non-quest NPCs every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skip the first cutscene in Castrum/Prae to let everyone free to spend their time constructively, do whatever you want with the rest.