Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Though not as :krad: as Dewpider, the :krad:est of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Spanish word for "Normal" is "Normal"? Or I guess you could say: La palabra inglesa para "Normal" es "Normal"?

huh, I never knew that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I did one

"Precious children and their two dads"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I deserve to be killed.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

As far as middle stages go, Haunter is a far better design than both Gastly and Gengar. :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I preferred this meme when we drew them by hand, poorly. :colbert:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dexie posted:

As far as middle stages go, Haunter is a far better design than both Gastly and Gengar. :colbert:

this is true

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Spanish word for "Normal" is "Normal"? Or I guess you could say: La palabra inglesa para "Normal" es "Normal"?

huh, I never knew that.

The pronunciation is different though, Spanish puts stress on the last syllable, nor-MAL rather than NOR-mal.

Dexie posted:

I agree completely.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I preferred this meme when we drew them by hand, poorly. :colbert:

Same and :agreed:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Pentaro posted:

I don't agree with all of your choices but this is fantastic. I especially like the sparkly Articuno and the dapper Honchkrow.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

creating honchkrow from the immaculate Murkrow was mankind's original sin

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
selecting the immaculate Alolan Raichu as least favorite Electric-type was oddium's original sin

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pentaro posted:

This is not poor drawing, this is good and cute.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

selecting the immaculate Alolan Raichu as least favorite Electric-type was oddium's original sin

it sucks majorly. i hate it

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

it sucks majorly. i hate it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like the appearance of original Raichu better, but I prefer everything else about the 2016 model.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Let's get real though:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my definitive list of my favorite pokemon. Now and forever. I cut it down to just the ones that never leave my team.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Dexie posted:

Agreed!!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dexie posted:

You're right but only cause most of Gen 1's designs are lazy and boring as gently caress. "Oh gently caress what's our 1 ghost type line going to be? Okay how about a fart that evolves into a shadow? Ship it"

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think that most gens have types that they excel at. Gen 1 has great Fire, Water and Poison types. Gen 2 has great Dark types, Gen 5 has great Bug, Ghost, Grass and Dark types.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're right but only cause most of Gen 1's designs are lazy and boring as gently caress. "Oh gently caress what's our 1 ghost type line going to be? Okay how about a fart that evolves into a shadow? Ship it"

Gen 1 also has some of the more interesting designs in it too. There's a lot of kaiju influence, and there's a lot of weird things based on Japanese myths and legends. I think it strikes a fine balance between the more designs and the more out there ones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

oddium posted:

creating honchkrow from the immaculate Murkrow was mankind's original sin
honchkrow is a top tier pokemon design and concept though

also gengar is a wonderful nasty boy with a big ol nasty smile. other ghost pokemon since then are better conceptually but there has never been as fun of a visual design for a ghost pokemon besides maybe drifblim

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Gengar is pretty clearly a shadow counterpart to clefable, but what's interesting is I've heard that the original idea was that gengar mimicked several different pokemon species because as a shadow it didn't have a solid form of its own. But Red and Green were already using basically every bit of data storage possible, so the final design was solidly based around clefable, probably because the assumption at that stage was that clefairy and clefable would be the mascot for the whole series, not pikachu.

I like the entire line's design because it looks like something just progressively becoming more solid and present in this dimension. Starting as a cloud of gas, and then haunter is the head and hands, like it's just starting to pass through, and gengar is the whole thing... maybe.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Has anyone else seen Bogleech's review of every pokemon? It's admittedly pretty heavily tilted towards his own personal design aesthetics, but it's really interesting to see him go through what he likes or dislikes about every pokemon, or talk about the basis for each pokemon.

EDIT: I literally didn't realize that Wobbuffet's true body was the 'tail' before reading his review, a fact which forever shames me. Wobbuffet doesn't have a small black tail with eyespots, it has a big bouyant blue tail that also has it's mouth. The brain is in the black body which is why the blue body takes hits so well. :)

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 6, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

If you asked me tomorrow about half of these would change

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Dexie posted:

Gen 1 also has some of the more interesting designs in it too. There's a lot of kaiju influence, and there's a lot of weird things based on Japanese myths and legends. I think it strikes a fine balance between the more designs and the more out there ones.

What do Japanese myths and legends have to do with Pokemon you idiot? This is america

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pretend I posted my favourites but all of them were Protean Greninja, since I can't be arsed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Does anyone else feel like Deoxys is a thematic prototype or inspiration for Ultra Beasts? Both in design aesthetic and in the fact that they're powerful, alien entities that are mostly only an apocalyptic danger because they're scared and unfamiliar with the environment they find themselves in.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Deoxys' really extreme stat distribution(s) make me think of it as being a precursor in terms of design space.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Has anyone else seen Bogleech's review of every pokemon? It's admittedly pretty heavily tilted towards his own personal design aesthetics, but it's really interesting to see him go through what he likes or dislikes about every pokemon, or talk about the basis for each pokemon.

EDIT: I literally didn't realize that Wobbuffet's true body was the 'tail' before reading his review, a fact which forever shames me. Wobbuffet doesn't have a small black tail with eyespots, it has a big bouyant blue tail that also has it's mouth. The brain is in the black body which is why the blue body takes hits so well. :)

Bogleech's reviews are great and point out lots of things I never realized. It never hit me that Chansey's design is most likely based on an Axolotl until he pointed it out.

Carmant posted:

What do Japanese myths and legends have to do with Pokemon you idiot? This is america

Get out of here, Bandit Keith! :argh:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dexie posted:

Bogleech's reviews are great and point out lots of things I never realized. It never hit me that Chansey's design is most likely based on an Axolotl until he pointed it out.
I also like the idea that 'fat round pink thing' is like, a legitimate genus in the Pokemon world.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Carmant posted:

Also every gen does the whole Kaiju and Japanese myth influence waaaay better then gen 1.

Like everything else about designs.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also every gen does the whole Kaiju and Japanese myth influence waaaay better then gen 1.

Like everything else about designs.

:confused:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My top four pokemon (i.e. the only ones who consistently make my faves, everything else rotates based on my mood) are two gen 3s, a gen 4, and a gen 7. Therefore, empirically speaking, gen 3 has the best designs

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Basically just a rhinoceros standing up, pretty low on the Poke-kaiju scale.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gen 3 has the least amount of pokemon I like or am interested in of any of them

it still has some good ones tho

Haifisch posted:

Basically just a rhinoceros standing up, pretty low on the Poke-kaiju scale.

mothra is basically just a really big moth so

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I won't rest until Rainbow Volcarona. But also make it Alolan so it looks more like Rainbow Mothra instead.

edit: Also Baragon

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I presume that there's some kind of association with moths and fire in Japanese folklore. There's a boss in Mega Man Zero 4 that's a fiery moth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
"Like moths to a flame," my bud